Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Elyv posted:

The date can be a day in a store filled with smelly people playing cards, I'm sure she'll be understanding and accepting.

Sell off the playset of fetchlands and use the money to go somewhere better.
Or just lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Rarities tend to have more to do with how they're expected to interact in limited than any kind of price consideration on the secondary market.

Path to Exile was easily $5+ when it was in standard (and $50 for baneslayer and $50 for JTMS were considered crazy).

What causes price inequality is that certain effects are just super-pushed for constructed and others are unplayable and those who set the prices on the secondary market have to make profit for all their initial supply, i.e. mass pack opening.

I want to believe that rarity is only built for limited in mind but the realist in me is pretty convinced that the bottom line is the first priority.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I can't read SCG Premium to read Tom Ross's tournament reports but there was this gem in the comments under the article:

Still trying to decide if I want to take the Rabblemasters out of the deck for Game Day. A lot of advocacy for Mogis's Warhound in that spot. I guess I need to test more on MODO tonight and tomorrow.

PS if anyone wants to send one of those codes for free premium you get at the open to me via PM :)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wizards' bottom line has nothing to do with Rarity. They sell packs. They, and other card games, use Rarity to make packs more lottery-like in order to scratch that gambling itch.

Since Magic has a successful/workable Limited format they use the preexisting Rarity system to adjust the power level of cards in Limited. More powerful stuff ends up in higher rarities. It's why we usually have at least 1 "disappointing" Mythic in each set. It was just a Rare but it became completely format warping for Limited so they pushed it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cernunnos posted:

Wizards' bottom line has nothing to do with Rarity. They sell packs. They, and other card games, use Rarity to make packs more lottery-like in order to scratch that gambling itch.

Since Magic has a successful/workable Limited format they use the preexisting Rarity system to adjust the power level of cards in Limited. More powerful stuff ends up in higher rarities. It's why we usually have at least 1 "disappointing" Mythic in each set. It was just a Rare but it became completely format warping for Limited so they pushed it up.

Like Ugin's Nexus.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Like Ugin's Nexus.

Ugin's Nexus is getting a spot in any EDH deck I have running Clever Impersonator and Phyrexian Metamorph in and I will not have you disrespect how awesome it is THANK YOU VERY MUCH :reject:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Count Bleck posted:

Ugin's Nexus is getting a spot in any EDH deck I have running Clever Impersonator and Phyrexian Metamorph in and I will not have you disrespect how awesome it is THANK YOU VERY MUCH :reject:

I hope it's a harbinger of the time travel flavor seeping into the mechanics of Fate Reforged.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Like Ugin's Nexus.

Ugin's Nexus has to do with extra turns, I think that by itself automatically makes it mythic these days.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Veyrall posted:

Amen to that. Dreamblade looked awesome. Everything was so weird and cool.
How big are the figures? I'm always looking for inexpensive D&D minis and the boosters for Dreamblade seem like a pretty hot dollar for figure ratio. Basically prefer stuff that will fit in a Chessex map square.

Cernunnos posted:

I'm sure Archangel's Light was backbreaking at Rare.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 17, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

I hope it's a harbinger of the time travel flavor seeping into the mechanics of Fate Reforged.

Fate Reforged is obviously just a hidden message.

It says Wizards went back in time and stopped the founding of the reserved list.

To celebrate this they reprinted Time Walk.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'm going to my first GP in Edison next month to get away from my girlfriend and to play in some sealed events. What can I expect at this thing, what's the atmosphere like?

Also, is selling cards on the convention center floor a thing? I have a binder full of lands I want to get rid of.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

How are these 2 thoughts not contradictory?
Chase rares and chase mythics feed into peoples desire to gamble and help drive the sale of packs.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mango sentinel posted:

That one was a last minute change wasn't it? Like wasn't it supposed to do something completely different, that was legitimately Mythic, but then they backpedaled on it or something fell through and they had to put something (what we got) in it's place?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

That one was a last minute change wasn't it? Like wasn't it supposed to do something completely different, that was legitimately Mythic, but then they backpedaled on it or something fell through and they had to put something (what we got) in it's place?

Yes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

INN and RTR both had a ton of great commons and uncommons. Current standard definitely feels off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

How big are the figures? I'm always looking for inexpensive D&D minis and the boosters for Dreamblade seem like a pretty hot dollar for figure ratio. Basically prefer stuff that will fit in a Chessex map square.

Archangels light was originally an entirely different mythic rare.

It got last minute nerfed. What you see now is the reverse Umezawa's Jitte.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

INN and RTR both had a ton of great commons and uncommons. Current standard definitely feels off.

Innistrad in general was a much higher power level than anything we've gotten for 3 blocks.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Go on the date dude. You play too much Magic as it is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

alphabrawl posted:

I'm going to my first GP in Edison next month to get away from my girlfriend and to play in some sealed events. What can I expect at this thing, what's the atmosphere like?

Also, is selling cards on the convention center floor a thing? I have a binder full of lands I want to get rid of.

Atmosphere: Very fun.

Selling: Absolute no no. Only trading to other players. Money transactions only with vendors. On the plus side GPs always have vendors that buy bulk commons/uncommons, like $3/1000.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Sometimes there's a bunch of synergistic cards that flow together and reward you for building around them, and sometimes the best deck is just a pile of goodstuff rares and mythics. It may change once the more complex cards are tested with and cracked, but right now it feels like jamming planeswalkers and rhinos and coursers is working out alright, so that may be how this season turns out. I definitely was hoping for something I could go deep on this season but it's still early on.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Archangels light was originally an entirely different mythic rare.

It got last minute nerfed. What you see now is the reverse Umezawa's Jitte.

What did it do originally? Give you 5 life per card?

Was it 5 mana?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

alphabrawl posted:

Not only is it awesome, it's the only Legacy GP in North America this year, so everyone's going to be bringing their best swag. Bring your own healthy food and water, and watch your bag like a hawk. If you can, try to carry the least amount possible (i.e. if you're going to play, carry your decks and not your traders).

Just pre-registered and booked my flight/hotel earlier this week, anyone else coming from Toronto?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm coming from by flint. But I think I'm gonna drive.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Not only is it awesome, it's the only Legacy GP in North America this year, so everyone's going to be bringing their best swag. Bring your own healthy food and water, and watch your bag like a hawk. If you can, try to carry the least amount possible (i.e. if you're going to play, carry your decks and not your traders).

Just pre-registered and booked my flight/hotel earlier this week, anyone else coming from Toronto?

I'm judging all three days, and I'm coming from Cleveland. Riding with some other judges.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

No kidding. Theft is going to definitely be a thing.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

No kidding. Theft is going to definitely be a thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them issuing pairs of wristbands, (One for your bag, one for your wrist.) like they did at the Invitational in Somerset.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gensuki posted:

What did it do originally? Give you 5 life per card?

Was it 5 mana?

It wasn't just a stronger version of the printed card, it did something completely different that they haven't revealed because they're still hoping to use it in a future set. The printed version was drawn up from scratch at the last minute as something that a) could use the same art, and b) would be completely guaranteed not to be overpowered.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Well, that kinda stinks. I was hoping to cash out on everything I own; the only Magic I play now is limited and my home Pauper league. I guess I'll just have to deal with a lower return from a vendor for asking cash. Thanks for the info!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

alphabrawl posted:

Well, that kinda stinks. I was hoping to cash out on everything I own; the only Magic I play now is limited and my home Pauper league. I guess I'll just have to deal with a lower return from a vendor for asking cash. Thanks for the info!

Not being able to sell at this even does not mean the only alternative is for you to lose money trading it into a vendor. :wtc:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Streaming another draft tonight: http://www.twitch.tv/pyronicex

drop by and help me make terrible choices!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Kraus posted:

If the collectable aspect of this game were banished, I wouldn't mind at all. Here's a new set! Buy the whole drat thing for X dollars! Buy it multiple times for copies! Stores can still open the packages and sell singles!
You should look into Android: Netrunner. Or just Netrunner, as it's usually called. Or really just everything by Fantasy Flight Games. They have a different business model than WotC, and buying an expansion gives you an automatic playset of each card in that set. It's just that there are more expansions and fewer cards in each, but lot's of people seem to be loving Netrunner and its cousins, so go nuts.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

alphabrawl posted:

Lots of us in the trading/buying thread would probably buy your collection as a whole or buy individual cards for more than youd get from a vendor if you feel like posting a list or some pics there.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Brownhat posted:

I'm judging all three days, and I'm coming from Cleveland. Riding with some other judges.

They posted the schedule already? I'm judging but I don't know what days. My uncle lives one town away so I got to stay with him for free.

It's my first GP as well. I'm L1 so I'll only be on side events.

Other news: drafted the most insane Jeskai deck tonight, Mantis Rider, Waterwhirl, two Windscouts, Trumpet Blast, Seeker, two Wardens, Ride Down, Charm. Went 3-0 without dropping a game. I also opened a Foothills in my pool, which was cool. Trades tonight:
Foothills plus two bulk rare foils -> Strand
Brimaz -> 2x Dig Through Time + 2x End Hostilities
$37 cash -> Sarkhan, 2x Anger of the Gods, Dig Through Time, Temple of Triumph.

Not bad for a night's work.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

They posted the schedule already? I'm judging but I don't know what days. My uncle lives one town away so I got to stay with him for free.

It's my first GP as well. I'm L1 so I'll only be on side events.

Other news: drafted the most insane Jeskai deck tonight, Mantis Rider, Waterwhirl, two Windscouts, Trumpet Blast, Seeker, two Wardens, Ride Down, Charm. Went 3-0 without dropping a game. I also opened a Foothills in my pool, which was cool. Trades tonight:
Foothills plus two bulk rare foils -> Strand
Brimaz -> 2x Dig Through Time + 2x End Hostilities
$37 cash -> Sarkhan, 2x Anger of the Gods, Dig Through Time, Temple of Triumph.

Not bad for a night's work.

In your acceptance email, it says which days you are working. Not the judgeapps one, but the one from Steven Zwanger.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It wasn't just a stronger version of the printed card, it did something completely different that they haven't revealed because they're still hoping to use it in a future set. The printed version was drawn up from scratch at the last minute as something that a) could use the same art, and b) would be completely guaranteed not to be overpowered.

Also I think it needed to have the same Collector's number.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Brownhat posted:

In your acceptance email, it says which days you are working. Not the judgeapps one, but the one from Steven Zwanger.

Ah ha! I'm Friday and Saturday. Probably will play some Sunday (if that's kosher, like I said first GP).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ah ha! I'm Friday and Saturday. Probably will play some Sunday (if that's kosher, like I said first GP).

What does a l1 make working at an event like this for two days?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Sickening posted:

All Judges will receive promotional items exclusive to Grand Prix: New Jersey including a Brainstorm playmat, Brainstorm sleeves, Brainstorm deck box, a water bottle, one month of StarCityGames.com Premium, and Khans of Tarkir boosters determined by their level:

Local (Level 1) judges will receive one box (36 packs) of Khans of Tarkir for each full day on staff.
Area (Level 2) judges will receive two boxes (72 packs) of Khans of Tarkir for each full day on staff.
Regional (Level 3), International (Level 4), and Professional (Level 5) judges will receive three boxes (108 packs) of Khans of Tarkir for each day on staff.

All certified judges on staff for at least two days will receive a selection of promotional foil cards provided by our friends in the Magic Judge program.

EDIT:

All judges will receive a $20 meal stipend per day on staff.

StarCityGames.com will provide all scheduled judges will receive a travel stipend for each day on staff, paid by check (completed United States tax form required) or StarCityGames.com store credit.

Local (Level 1) and Area (Level 2) judges will receive $75 check or $95 in StarCityGames.com store credit for each day on staff.
Regional (Level 3), International (Level 4), and Professional (Level 5) judges will receive $150 check or $190 in StarCityGames.com store credit for each day on staff.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Brainstorm playmat, deckbox and sleeves, Star City water bottle, a month of Star City premium, two boxes of Khans, packet of judge foils, $190 cash.

God I hope Elesh Norn's in the packet. A guy can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Brainstorm playmat, deckbox and sleeves, Star City water bottle, a month of Star City premium, two boxes of Khans, packet of judge foils, $190 cash.

God I hope Elesh Norn's in the packet. A guy can dream.

Yeah, I'm hoping for some Elesh Norn lovin' as well.

• Locked thread