Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

episode 3 has just about killed this show for me (eps 1 and 2 are terrible too). why the living gently caress did they let the prisoner steal the gundam

wtf is bellri's problem that he just sits by while a prisoner kidnaps him and steals the gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Condiv posted:

episode 3 has just about killed this show for me (eps 1 and 2 are terrible too). why the living gently caress did they let the prisoner steal the gundam

wtf is bellri's problem that he just sits by while a prisoner kidnaps him and steals the gundam

It's almost as if *gasp!* the head of Research was letting her go on purpose! The horror!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Condiv posted:

There's a bunch of evidence that implies they let her do it on purpose. Hell, they're completely unsurprised by the G-Self being stolen but they *are* surprised that Bellri was inside it. The colonel just calmly watches the G-Self move out and then after it escapes he calls someone to say it was stolen.

As for what sort of arrangement happened between Aida and the colonel, that's probably something we'll find out in this week's episode.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 16, 2014

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a mystery why bellri let aida go with the gundam, nobody knows how. It's very mysterious, almost like there was something he saw in her, like a feeling of some kind. Too bad we will never know what that is though, as no character has mentioned any sort of thing these last few episodes. Just chalk it up to Tomino being a bad rotten no good writer, again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pureauthor posted:

It's almost as if *gasp!* the head of Research was letting her go on purpose! The horror!

i would imagine if you're going to let someone go, you'd do it in a way that wasn't loving obvious as hell to the person you're trying to trail

leaving her cell open and no security on the way to gundam would've been more subtle

then again, she might not expect it cause the protag army is massively incompetent and doesn't seem to grasp basic security protocols

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Condiv posted:

i would imagine if you're going to let someone go, you'd do it in a way that wasn't loving obvious as hell to the person you're trying to trail

leaving her cell open and no security on the way to gundam would've been more subtle

then again, she might not expect it cause the protag army is massively incompetent and doesn't seem to grasp basic security protocols

Given that Aida was sitting and having a nice meal and tea in the colonel's office prior to Bellri showing up it's not really terribly far fetched to draw the conclusion that he informed her that he was going to let her escape. The only thing we're not really clear on yet is the why.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Condiv posted:

The Capital Army is also an army so new that they haven't officially announced its existence to the public. That's why nobody knows what to do, a well-run army doesn't just spring up overnight.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

The only thing we're not really clear on yet is the why.

Because the pirates had already attacked the space elevator once trying to rescue her, would be my guess, and with their commander dead some ambitious and grief-stricken underling might do something really stupid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because the pirates had already attacked the space elevator once trying to rescue her, would be my guess, and with their commander dead some ambitious and grief-stricken underling might do something really stupid.

"If you threaten us with violence and steal from us and we catch you in the process, all you need to do is threaten us with more violence to get off scot free" is not exactly the PR image you want to project if you're trying to maintain control of a political situation, I would think.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Conflict and conflict resolution seem like a lost art so far. This is a nation / pseudo-nation that has only now thought that maybe using construction mobile suits as defense forces isn't sufficient, and whose pilots are defeated by stands of bamboo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To be fair, that bamboo did come out of nowhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

To be fair, that bamboo did come out of nowhere.

Look, if the technicians just spent a couple weeks remodeling your modified repair/cargo mobile suit to have hover jets for ground combat it would simply be churlish not to use them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is all kind of screwy because these guys are supposed to have an unfair, tyrannical stranglehold on global energy distribution. How the hell are they enforcing that?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
You may have noticed they seem to be having some trouble with that lately. :v:

Edit: Also, hope you guys liked the toilets. They appear to be here to stay.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

You may have noticed they seem to be having some trouble with that lately. :v:

Yeah, but how did they even set it up? How did the other nations not just go 'lolno' when they tried it and roll right over them?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Darth Walrus posted:

It is all kind of screwy because these guys are supposed to have an unfair, tyrannical stranglehold on global energy distribution. How the hell are they enforcing that?

Well, prior to anyone *cough*Ameria*cough* taking up significant arms to steal it, the main thing would be simply denying a given country its photon batteries. What we don't know for now is the frequency of rations or how long each ration tends to last, but this is a clearly technologically advanced civilisation, and if nations struggle to meet power demands within their existing supplies, then of course being able to turn off the flow at one's leisure puts a significant pressure on political leaders to get the supply re-established as soon as possible, or face - within likely months - the functional end of their society. Especially since, unlike real life nations that provide resources like oil and such, its almost certain that there's no money in the matter for the Capital, so to them, cutting off someone's supply to keep them at line affects them in next to no ways at all.

Edit: ^To the post above, its likely a position that the Capital got as an old institution, not anything recent. Ie, either the other nations, still horrified by the wars they'd fought, were energised enough to actually put together an organisation to control things, or they themselves were in such a desperate position that when someone came along offering energy, with certain demands of course, they couldn't afford to say no.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

Well, prior to anyone *cough*Ameria*cough* taking up significant arms to steal it, the main thing would be simply denying a given country its photon batteries. What we don't know for now is the frequency of rations or how long each ration tends to last, but this is a clearly technologically advanced civilisation, and if nations struggle to meet power demands within their existing supplies, then of course being able to turn off the flow at one's leisure puts a significant pressure on political leaders to get the supply re-established as soon as possible, or face - within likely months - the functional end of their society. Especially since, unlike real life nations that provide resources like oil and such, its almost certain that there's no money in the matter for the Capital, so to them, cutting off someone's supply to keep them at line affects them in next to no ways at all.

Let's not forget the religious aspect to it too. While the power supplies sound like the main reason, it's possible that kept the nations in check for awhile as well (and could be why they only recently started an army, if it has become a less effective method in the meantime).

That and the rhetoric about not repeating the UC's mistakes probably went a long way towards initially establishing its power.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I sure hope nobody in this thread ever tries to read a postmodern novel, or they might literally have an aneurism because of the lack of clear and simple exposition

Not that anime is on the level of actual literature. But Jesus, I've never seen a Tomino or Gundam show before, and I thought this was fine? Do people require 20 minute blocks of exposition for all events in a story otherwise they just don't get it?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

icantfindaname posted:

I sure hope nobody in this thread ever tries to read a postmodern novel, or they might literally have an aneurism because of the lack of clear and simple exposition

Not that anime is on the level of actual literature. But Jesus, I've never seen a Tomino or Gundam show before, and I thought this was fine? Do people require 20 minute blocks of exposition for all events in a story otherwise they just don't get it?

Eh. I would still say that Tomino could have provided a better introduction to things, at least for the first episode. Yeah, don't need to explain everything at once, but a little lead in, at the very least not dropping you in at the end of a chase through the skies, would help people adjust better.

Beyond that though, the main thing is just not to approach the questions the series raises with 'why don't they just do X?'. There's an evident amount of politics and cultural elements at play in the script, both done well and kinda stumbling, so you have to give things enough room to establish just what the distinction is between 'this is because of the society they live in' and 'this is Tomino writing'. Say, Bellri being indignant about Ameria's energy issues because of the understanding that's been given to him, raised so close to the capital, versus Aida getting shot in the rear end because she stuck it out a bit too much for Noredo's liking.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Astro Nut posted:

versus Aida getting shot in the rear end because she stuck it out a bit too much for Noredo's liking.

Hey, she was told to stay still. It was for her own safety.

Edit: Also, maybe a little for being a dirty pirate. :argh:

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Comparing G-Reco to a postmodern novel is pretty silly. The complaints I had about it were not that I didn't understand things but that the character's reactions and responses are pretty strange in a way that makes it hard to differentiate between Tomino writing, bad writing, and intentionally strange writing. (and I'm pretty sure G-Reco has all three at once.) It gives the product a disjointed feel, but not one that functions in the same way as certain postmodern stories.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I don't think anyone challenges the Capital for control of the energy because everyone else would dogpile on them if they tried; it's not in anyone's best interests to let their rivals monopolize such a powerful resource, so they let a neutral third party control it instead. Even if none of them are necessarily happy about it and they'd all like to control it themselves, they know this is the best alternative. Which is why Ameria is (poorly) trying to hide their pirating behind a non-state entity.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think the show is particularly unclear or confusing right now. But I do think there is a big difference between a novel and an animated series: You can read a novel at your own pace, but an animated series comes in chunks predetermined by the creators. It is easier to lose audiences because they cannot be bothered to watch every week than it is to lose someone who is already sitting down and reading your book.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I don't think the show is particularly unclear or confusing right now. But I do think there is a big difference between a novel and an animated series: You can read a novel at your own pace, but an animated series comes in chunks predetermined by the creators. It is easier to lose audiences because they cannot be bothered to watch every week than it is to lose someone who is already sitting down and reading your book.

I think that theory would have more weight if people weren't getting confused by things that happened and were explained in the same episode.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I just hope we can argue about Dellensen crying this time:

I thought he was kind of a jerk the first time I watched episode one, what with the whip and such, but the more we see him, the more decent a guy he seems. He whips the cadets because he cares. :911:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally starting to get some answers in this episode So even the Pirates don't have a clue as to the G-Self's origin, and the Capital's pretty drat sure something is lurking up in space. The taboo tech thing's a surprise, and it looks like Beam Sabers are lost/taboo tech for some reason. Which is weird considering they have badass beam whips. It's also getting more and more likely that this going to go Moonlit Butterfly by the end too :ohdear:.

Something I kinda liked was that the pirates only gave a drat about disabling the Catsiths rather than going all-out and destroying them.

What really bugs me with G-Reco is that grunt suits don't explode at the drop of a pin. It ain't right, I tells you! :bahgawd:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 17, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How many days is it usually taking for sub groups to put out an episode? Monday seems to be the earliest I've found.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

How many days is it usually taking for sub groups to put out an episode? Monday seems to be the earliest I've found.

HorribleSubs usually has it up same day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

[sage] said that they're trying to get their releases out on Saturdays.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm surprised they don't just get someone to copy the Aussie/Uk official stream subs.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I think they do, because they kept some of the same errors. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

I think they do, because they kept some of the same errors. :v:

Which ones?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Klim Nick is seriously just the best character in the show by a tremendous degree.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Eh, I mostly just stick to the raws, but the one I remember off the top of my head was in this scene in episode two:

Where both the official release and Sage version appear to have missed that rear end in a top hat dude doesn't say Luin's being nice to Bellri to ingratiate himself to him but to his mother. Seems like a weird mistake for them to both make independently. :v:

Edit: Also, I pretty much agree with this wholeheartedly:

ImpAtom posted:

Klim Nick is seriously just the best character in the show by a tremendous degree.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I expected that as soon as I saw him in the OP and ED. I also knew he would be a huge piece of poo poo and I was hype

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Just saw it, I'm all on board now. Show hit its stride and the plot is moving forward.

If you were disappointed about the combat before I think you'll be happy with this one, It's shot in an incredibly dynamic way, and has a really good sense of composition and impact for the budget they're using. I'd say it's more interesting than the fights from BFT we've seen so far.

I'm happy, maybe I'll post about it later.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like the design of the space suits and the transparent cockpits, i like the music now, i like how colorful everything is, i like all the islands and ocean and sun and everything.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You want to watch it now, I bet.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they don't just get someone to copy the Aussie/Uk official stream subs.

Horriblesubs does that.

Sharkopath posted:

Just saw it, I'm all on board now. Show hit its stride and the plot is moving forward.

If you were disappointed about the combat before I think you'll be happy with this one, It's shot in an incredibly dynamic way, and has a really good sense of composition and impact for the budget they're using. I'd say it's more interesting than the fights from BFT we've seen so far.

I'm happy, maybe I'll post about it later.

Yeah that combat was pretty exciting, it might not have as big a budget as Build Fighters but they really know how to make use of the resources they have. And as for the non-fighty bits I think some people who weren't on board are going to warm up to the show a little more. They started explaining things and a lot of it (bar one) has mainly been stuff that folks in the thread have extrapolated from what we've been given so far.

Hyped to see whatever the threat from space winds up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The pacing of some of the character interactions seemed a bit off, and a bit inhuman at times, but still, that was a fun episode.
Also that beam saber :swoon:

• Locked thread