Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had been planning to wait for a complete version but a kind friend gifted me a copy and it unlocked about an hour ago. I'm not really gravitating towards any one particular character strongly so I've started a game with both Nisha and Athena so far to get a taste. Any recommendations or things to watch out for? I ended up mostly using Gaige in BL2 with a focus on anarchy. Also, I notice the vault hunters are a bit more vocal, at least in the intro. Does that keep up or do they go mute again?

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Play Claptrap at some point. His right tree has been pretty enjoyable so far.

Iconic Racism
Apr 8, 2009
Can I please get an invite as well? Wanna chill with some goons in space. http://steamcommunity.com/id/sexual_snail

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jibo posted:

My guess is doofy wrist guns.

Yeah it's that and/or that EMP bubble thing he shoots off on occasion.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!
Claptrap owns, the random skill is pretty cool. Just funzerked a bunch of dudes with explosive rounds. poo poo was everywhere.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The random lines he says when he gets subroutines are great. I just about died when he said something like "Trap. Claptrap. Double-O... Trap." for a pistol one.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I hate NG+ where you can't skip the cutscenes :(

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's been confirmed that Jack will basically play like one of those Capcom fighters that doesn't actually directly fight, just briefly summons all sorts of things.

Summons Butt Stallion to trample a target
Calls in Hyperion satellite orbital strike
Splits into a second Jack Double, a la cytokinesis, who then does all of the fighting
etc.

When Jack dies, he doesn't get resurrected at the Hyperion New U terminals, a paler version just crawls out of his corpse and continues the fight.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So is the writing as bad as every review says it is?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dr. Carwash posted:

It's BL2 with a bit less referential humour. No better, no worse.

EDIT: They did drastically cut down on the memes. There's still one or two, but most of the time a reference is a parody instead of just quoting a well-known line.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 17, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It varies. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful. Most of the time it's in the middle.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Are you reading reviews on Reddit and 4chan?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I liked the writing of BL2 for what it was. This one just seems a lot worse to me and I'm about ready to hop on the fire Anthony Burch train.

I don't know how much of that opinion is influenced by the overall aesthetic and characters though because I think that's made feel OK with the BL2 stuff.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
So far my major issue is none of the new npcs have much personality. In BL2, I was happy to do side jobs for Hammerlock or Tina or whoever because even if the job wasn't that interesting, the character's commentary was amusing enough to keep me invested. With this game, I see that Springs has a new job and I just sigh because there is nothing interesting about her or her dialogue.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It is nice that your characters themselves actually talk more.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

AHungryRobot posted:

Did anyone else experience a thing where your shield would recharge insanely fast? Like, so fast it would recharge as you were being damaged? It made the raid boss pretty easy.

Yeah, somewhere near the start of the last area, my shields became isnta-charging, even while taking elemental DoTs. It made the boss pretty trivial, though it STILL managed to down me once. I wasn't about to look that gift horse in the mouth, but it fixed itself when I quit out to the menu.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

It is nice that your characters themselves actually talk more.

That's something I do really appreciate, even though it's sometimes annoying. I would have liked to see that in the last game, Zer0's haikus (haiku?) were fun.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I just became the :torgue:AMBASSADOR OF EXPLOSIONS:torgue:

Whoever writes Torgue can stay, whoever writes Pickle can get punched repeatedly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Why are the vehicles so goddamn bad? The laser one's turret is weaker than the front machine guns. It took me 3 tries to find the one true jump out of one spawn point but even hitting it full speed planted me 10 feet below the other ramp (there were several other obvious looking jumps straight into endless seas of lava). And one time the piece of junk just randomly exploded when I hit a bump.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It varies. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful. Most of the time it's in the middle.

If you're super passionate about Borderlands writing one way or the other, you're probably a lovely person of some kind.

The writing ranges anywhere from funny to unbearable in these games. Polarizing as some characters and dialogue are, if you can't find something amusing about it you're a humorless, jaded rear end in a top hat. Completely enthralled with all of the writing? You're 11 years old, and/or suffer from some sort of internet-fueled developmental disability.

I guess I would say that the writing is bad, but it continues to be in the same intentional and frequently entertaining way.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

penis bandana posted:

If you're super passionate about Borderlands writing one way or the other, you're probably a lovely person of some kind.

The writing ranges anywhere from funny to unbearable in these games. Polarizing as some characters and dialogue are, if you can't find something amusing about it you're a humorless, jaded rear end in a top hat. Completely enthralled with all of the writing? You're 11 years old, and/or suffer from some sort of internet-fueled developmental disability.

I guess I would say that the writing is bad, but it continues to be in the same intentional and frequently entertaining way.

I think you kind of summed it well for me. I like some characters, and hate others. I take what I like, and just bear it through the parts I don't.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Why are the vehicles so goddamn bad? The laser one's turret is weaker than the front machine guns. It took me 3 tries to find the one true jump out of one spawn point but even hitting it full speed planted me 10 feet below the other ramp (there were several other obvious looking jumps straight into endless seas of lava). And one time the piece of junk just randomly exploded when I hit a bump.

Have you gotten the stingray yet? It's one of the best vehicles ever put in a BL games IMO. I agree that that jump is really lovely though. It reeks of not being play-tested.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 17, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

I just became the :torgue:AMBASSADOR OF EXPLOSIONS:torgue:

Whoever writes Torgue can stay, whoever writes Pickle can get punched repeatedly.

I agree with this forever. Pickle was so bad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I didn't get one, so no, it's not guaranteed. In fact I haven't ever gotten a single legendary from a boss so far, all of mine have come from normal run of the mill enemies. Not even the final boss or the raid boss dropped any.

How do I get to the sidequest in the Ribs place (not the Echo message one)? Every time I try to platform over there I run into killboxes.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Genocyber posted:

How do I get to the sidequest in the Ribs place (not the Echo message one)? Every time I try to platform over there I run into killboxes.

If it's for the claptrap one then there should be a jump pad that takes you right to him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When Jack dies, he doesn't get resurrected at the Hyperion New U terminals, a paler version just crawls out of his corpse and continues the fight.

:aaaaa:

AHungryRobot posted:

If it's for the claptrap one then there should be a jump pad that takes you right to him.

I'm assuming it's that one since I have no idea what you're talking about. Where is the jump pad?

e: Nvm, found it. No idea how I missed it before.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 17, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
edit: nevermind

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The new characters, mixed with some of the worse mission designs definitely doesn't help with some of the writing critique.

I was not unhappy to see Jack execute the scientists after doing their backtracking fetch quests forever, and the only reason I dislike Pickle is for that heinously bad pump station mission.

Also, who thought they needed to "Put in ugly Russian woman who tell people buck up and speak in bad accent?" Do they know that it's kind of a thing?

To balance things out, though, the cryo and laser weapons are a hoot, and I'm usually very happy to get either.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cryo is better than slag in every single way, and it turned out much better than I expected.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know, I think a medical device telling you to "come back with dying!" is oddly very succinct. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want them to somehow patch away Nisha's dumb, boring writing and voice acting, but that's not something that usually gets fixed in patches.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 17, 2014

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Freezing flying dudes is the best thing :getin:

Speedball posted:

I don't know, I think a medical device telling you to "come back with dying!" is oddly very succinct. Brevity is the soul of wit.

Is it not "Come back when dying"...?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Is it not "Come back when dying"...?

Might be that too! Works for me either way.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, uh, ending spoilers:

Anyone else find Lillith deciding to murder an unarmed woman who worked for a guy she hates years ago, before he really became the crazy rear end in a top hat she hates really, really out of left field? I get that she's still supposed to be broken up over Roland's death, but isn't that a little extreme? It feels like trying really hard to make her more "edgy" and morally ambiguous, which almost never works in video games, and let's be honest, it's Borderlands, trying to do morally grey areas isn't going to be something they excel at.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

So, uh, ending spoilers:

Anyone else find Lillith deciding to murder an unarmed woman who worked for a guy she hates years ago, before he really became the crazy rear end in a top hat she hates really, really out of left field? I get that she's still supposed to be broken up over Roland's death, but isn't that a little extreme? It feels like trying really hard to make her more "edgy" and morally ambiguous, which almost never works in video games, and let's be honest, it's Borderlands, trying to do morally grey areas isn't going to be something they excel at.

I mean. As you so aptly put... It's Borderlands. Do you actually care?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sab669 posted:

I mean. As you so aptly put... It's Borderlands. Do you actually care?

You can't just brush away bad, annoying writing with "pfft but it's not ABOUT the story" all the time, especially not in the ending sequence of a 21 hour game. gently caress Lilith in this game she's terrible.

Here's a key indicator of the quality of writing in this game: It's a frame story told by Athena, who is not present if you don't play as her, which is something that happens y'know only in badly written media.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!
4 hours into the game and I'm not really that far into it yet, I don't think. Every large loving structure I come across I spend about 5-10 minutes trying to see if I can make it up to the top and find a chest. At least I got Claptraps one liners to keep me entertained. They should have scrapped the other characters and just made more variations of him tbh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Matrix-7 posted:

4 hours into the game and I'm not really that far into it yet, I don't think. Every large loving structure I come across I spend about 5-10 minutes trying to see if I can make it up to the top and find a chest. At least I got Claptraps one liners to keep me entertained. They should have scrapped the other characters and just made more variations of him tbh.

The additional mobility (low gravity, farting for extra jump height, et cetera) really does go bonkers with my need to explore. There are so many new nooks and crannies where a strong box with a few dollars inside might be hiding! Or where the area's last vault symbol is!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

LordHippoman posted:

So, uh, ending spoilers:

Aarrrrgh WTF Gearbox? Athena was the ONLY person in the god damned universe that wasn't a lovely psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Hey, so I can't remember if I actually heard an NPC saying this during a mission or if I was just imagining it, but is it true that fire DoT is less effective (or possibly impossible to inflict on targets) in a vacuum? I feel like there was a mission featuring a laser where an NPC told me to focus on setting people on fire in sealed areas, because fire doesn't function too well in airless space.

• Locked thread