Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, so I can't remember if I actually heard an NPC saying this during a mission or if I was just imagining it, but is it true that fire DoT is less effective (or possibly impossible to inflict on targets) in a vacuum? I feel like there was a mission featuring a laser where an NPC told me to focus on setting people on fire in sealed areas, because fire doesn't function too well in airless space.

You can't set enemies on fire in a vacuum. Flame DOT only takes effect in air environments, otherwise it just does raw fire damage without the DOT. It makes sense but it's also kinda stupid.

edit: Oh wait, it doesn't make sense still because a) it's a video game that otherwise makes absolutely no attempt to be realistic, and b) corrosive, shock, and ice still work at full effectiveness in a vacuum so there's no point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've seen enemies run into the vacuum to put out the fire that is engulfing them. It's either far and away the smartest thing I've seen an NPC in Borderlands do or it's an interesting coincidence that keeps repeating itself while I play.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, so I can't remember if I actually heard an NPC saying this during a mission or if I was just imagining it, but is it true that fire DoT is less effective (or possibly impossible to inflict on targets) in a vacuum? I feel like there was a mission featuring a laser where an NPC told me to focus on setting people on fire in sealed areas, because fire doesn't function too well in airless space.

There was definitely an NPC comment to that effect. I haven't used fire guns much at all this time around, so I can't say for sure how true it is.

Matrix-7
Apr 29, 2007

Hey, bro, fade into the shade! You're bad news - obituary column style!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The additional mobility (low gravity, farting for extra jump height, et cetera) really does go bonkers with my need to explore. There are so many new nooks and crannies where a strong box with a few dollars inside might be hiding! Or where the area's last vault symbol is!

Yeah, exactly the same situation I'm in, the low gravity setting definitely amplifies the need to explore. As soon as I enter a new zone I'm there scanning around with a scope looking for prime targets and ledges to check out. It does seem to pay off most of the time too, which is nice. Found quite a few chests and symbols up on the roofs. Unfortunately I also have a crippling addiction to opening chests which means it'll probably to take me the best part of a year to reach the max level.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It honestly makes fire kind of useless. I really feel gimped with a fire gun, 98% of the time I have a gun that happens to do extra damage against flesh. Enemies are generally too smart to follow you into the tiny oxygenated areas, unless you break LOS and that usually leads to you getting flanked.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I keep finding myself wishing that Athena's maelstrom tree supported corrosive damage better. All the best beams I find are corrosive! :argh:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jsor posted:

It honestly makes fire kind of useless. I really feel gimped with a fire gun, 98% of the time I have a gun that happens to do extra damage against flesh. Enemies are generally too smart to follow you into the tiny oxygenated areas, unless you break LOS and that usually leads to you getting flanked.

Its better than having like the entire first part of the game being against fireproof enemies, while also having fire be the only element that usually drops.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just beat the game. Overall liked the story. Was fun to see Jack go from dick-with-good-intentions to psychotic-nutball after being betrayed by everyone and mindfucked by weird alien poo poo. Gameplay was overall good but a few too many of the sidequests had the issue of "accept quest at spot A, go to spot B, then return to spot A, then back to B, etc." New gameplay stuff like low gravity, oz kits and laser weapons are pretty much all awesome. The Stingrays are really fun to ride around it. Wilhelm is a ton of fun, especially once you unlock his laser cannon skill.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The Bee posted:

Its better than having like the entire first part of the game being against fireproof enemies, while also having fire be the only element that usually drops.

True, I would trade this for Loader hell any day.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Jsor posted:

True, I would trade this for Loader hell any day.

Well I was thinking of Firehawks, but Loader hell was rough as heck too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Bee posted:

Fire still does fantastic damage to most things (on ng at least) even without the dot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I never thought I'd say this but I'm really digging Claptrap so far. Had Miniontrap come up in a trash mob fight and it was the :torgue:est thing so far.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Funzerker + just keep shooting + exploding shotguns = :staredog:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
What was the most annoying part of the original BL? Jumping puzzles! Now they're BACK but with hosed-up low-g physics!

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Been reading this thread all week, waiting for my loving paycheck to hit any minute now so I can finally pick this up. Hurry uuuuuup

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I sure hope you like detours. It couldn't possibly have been as prevalent in the earlier installments as they are in this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghostpilot posted:

I sure hope you like detours. It couldn't possibly have been as prevalent in the earlier installments as they are in this.

"Hit this button to complete the objective! Hurry, do it before something happens that stops you from completing the obje-" *something happens that stops you from completing the objective* "--DARN it, who could have seen this coming!" *bowtie spins*

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but deciding to make this into a full game was a terrible idea. I mean, the thing has a 75 on metacritic, and I'm seeing more ambivalent/negative chatter on message boards then positive. I really think they've Dragon Age 2'd themselves with this one, and the next title is going to have to fight really hard to avoid the pervasive assumption that it's going to be utter dogshit. Especially if their next move is the heavily-forshadowed and trademarked BorderWorlds.

VVV
Yeah, okay, not THAT bad, but in the sense of how hard BioWare is having to work to show the the game isn't utter poo poo; every bad/mediocre game in a series devalues the brand, which in turn makes it harder to promote your next game as the word-of-mouth get more and more toxic.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 17, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm still having fun, but deciding to make this into a full game was a terrible idea. I mean, the thing has a 75 on metacritic, and I'm seeing more ambivalent/negative chatter on message boards then positive. I really think they've Dragon Age 2'd themselves with this one, and the next title is going to have to fight really hard to avoid the pervasive assumption that it's going to be utter dogshit. Especially if their next move is the heavily-forshadowed and trademarked BorderWorlds.

Dragon Age 2'd themselves?

No. No, the transition from BL2 to TPS is nothing like Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2. Not even close.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Metrohunter posted:

I keep finding myself wishing that Athena's maelstrom tree supported corrosive damage better. All the best beams I find are corrosive! :argh:

Athena is just fine for corrosive. Get 100+ stacks of maelstrom and you've got plenty of time to corrode stuff, especially if you switch back to shock or fire after a clip or two.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dr. Carwash posted:

So is the writing as bad as every review says it is?

The only thing that matters is that Torgue is still amazing.

They've also made claptrap actually decent. That's quite an achievement.

His enthusiasm for everything is just so drat endearing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Dr. Carwash posted:

So is the writing as bad as every review says it is?

Your first side quest is putting up motivational posters. The quest-giver says some nonsense "can has cheeseburgers" meme when you complete it...

Still literally written by the Internet.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 17, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

Your first side quest is putting up motivational posters. The quest-giver says some nonsense "can has cheeseburgers" meme when you complete it...

I am not making this up.

There's a second motivational poster quest not long after this one only that one is timed. I think timed missions are one of the less-good parts of these games, especially considering you can redo them if you fail over and over until you eventually get it, which begs the question why they're timed in the first place?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I HATE how Concordia is laid out. I feel like such a noob having to waypoint the Black Market.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

VVV
Yeah, okay, not THAT bad, but in the sense of how hard BioWare is having to work to show the the game isn't utter poo poo; every bad/mediocre game in a series devalues the brand, which in turn makes it harder to promote your next game as the word-of-mouth get more and more toxic.

This game is no better or worse than Borderlands 2 was. It's more of the same with a few new gimmicks.

Also, don't judge a game by "message boards." The only people posting on them are the ones who aren't enjoying the game, and therefore not playing it. They bitch themselves into rabid frenzies and attack anything that doesn't store with them.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Reiley posted:

which begs the question

Raises the question.

With Claptraps right skill tree, are you eventually able to pick which gun/defense subroutine is activated or will it always be random?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Damo posted:

Raises the question.

With Claptraps right skill tree, are you eventually able to pick which gun/defense subroutine is activated or will it always be random?

Always random, from what I have unlocked so far.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Oh wait, it doesn't make sense still because a) it's a video game that otherwise makes absolutely no attempt to be realistic, and b) corrosive, shock, and ice still work at full effectiveness in a vacuum so there's no point.

One could also argue that if you're using an incendiary device it already uses or forms it own oxidizer so it doesn't require a vacuum to ignite, or you possibly caused a scav's own supply of oxygen to combust. :goonsay:

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Psyker posted:

This game is no better or worse than Borderlands 2 was. It's more of the same with a few new gimmicks.

Oh no, it's definitely worse. The characters aren't as fun, the locales aren't as varied and the gameplay isn't as fresh anymore despite the new gimmicks (which are just that, gimmicks). This is a "poo poo something out while we work on a real sequel" deal, similar to Arkham Origins or the upcoming Battlefield Hardline.

Having said that it's still a solid game and the grinder in particular is a great addition.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Doflamingo posted:

Oh no, it's definitely worse. The characters aren't as fun, the locales aren't as varied and the gameplay isn't as fresh anymore despite the new gimmicks (which are just that, gimmicks). This is a "poo poo something out while we work on a real sequel" deal, similar to Arkham Origins or the upcoming Battlefield Hardline.

Having said that it's still a solid game and the grinder in particular is a great addition.

I'm not done with it yet, but so far it's better than BL2 was at this point. I don't remember BL2 as fresh anything when it came out, this changes it up more. Using air adjustment to get around quicker works well in and out of combat. Lasers feel great to use and I'm glad to see slag gone.

Also the adjustment to IotD rarity makes money meaningful and serves to solve one of BL2 biggest flaws in that you'll actually see high rarity items.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'd rather the loot chest drops be better than have better IOTDs in vendors, personally. I am looking forward to having the cheat engine script for this game, it was nice having chests drop greens as often as they did purples with blues being the most common chest drop.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Jibo posted:

I liked the writing of BL2 for what it was. This one just seems a lot worse to me and I'm about ready to hop on the fire Anthony Burch train.
He isn't the lead writer for this, just one of the writers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

He isn't the lead writer for this, just one of the writers.

Yeah most of the writing was done by the Australian writers and it shows in the type of humour.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So a medic vending machine had this for sale, cost me a lot of space bucks. Fifty thousand of them. My first legendary in the game.

:stonk:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

:downs: Wilhelm, what couple of skills do you want for your class mod?

:black101: ALL OF THEM!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Game doesn't have much positive energy. I found the writing to be a big bummer. None of the characters are really very friendly to the player or friendly to eachother. No one appears to be part of a community whatsoever, good or evil. A least two of the side plots deal with failing abusive relationships (for no reason?). Life seems to suck rear end for everyone and there's plenty of guns around to just shoot yourself in the head, it's amazing anyone chooses to keep on living.

Borderlands 1+2 had the generic saturday morning cartoon humanistic attitude of 'we can do this if we believe in each other and work together with the power of friendship' crap which worked fine because the game is, you know, literally a cartoon. The player character in BL2 was appreciated as a member of a community and wanted to help their friends, so it never really mattered if a character was annoying, because that's what friendship is, accepting people's flaws.

On the most shallow level, one has to wonder if this is literally just a culture shock between an American studio and an Australian studio and too many tall poppies on the American side.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Back Hack posted:

:downs: Wilhelm, what couple of skills do you want for your class mod?

:black101: ALL OF THEM!

:black101: "No."

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Good news guys, there is a working CE table for item rarity. Takes a bit of work to get going but it exists at least. First, download the table here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_f11g1DlLhDc2RvVEhpZ2cyNmM&usp=sharing

I'm using the one with .ct on the end, not sure if there's any difference. Once you've got the table, follow this guy's instructions:

quote:

Open the table, and don't execute the lua. Next hit ctrl-alt-L, then find this section:
RarityChances_Grouped =
{
Weight_0_VeryCommon = "4:44 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 2C
Weight_1_Common = "4:46 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 2E
Weight_2_Uncommon = "4:48 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 30
Weight_3_Uncommoner = "4:49 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 31
Weight_4_Rare = "4:50 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 32
Weight_5_VeryRare = "4:51 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 33
Weight_6_Legendary = "4:52 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216" -- ID 34
}

Then replace the above block of code with this:

RarityChances_Grouped =
{
Weight_0_VeryCommon = "4:45 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 2D
Weight_1_Common = "4:47 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 2F
Weight_2_Uncommon = "4:50 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 32
Weight_3_Uncommoner = "4:51 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 33
Weight_4_Rare = "4:52 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 34
Weight_5_VeryRare = "4:53 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216", -- ID 35
Weight_6_Legendary = "4:54 w:20 4:0 4:1 4:* 4:0 4:0 4:1065353216 4:1065353216" -- ID 36
}

Then File-Save, after that execute the script.

The changes don't take effect immediately so don't be disheartened if you don't notice anything right away. I'm getting purples out the rear end now.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone else on tvhm try the moonshot mission on the H yet? Seems to me they forgot a tuning tag for the antenna, it died in 2 hits for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I really want to like Nisha's super, but it has this irritating tendency to jump to targets spastically, and relentlessly fixate on targets occluded by the environment.

Kragons also suck to fight. They're just tedious and bland and ubiquitous.

• Locked thread