Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It doesn't seem to do much to stop something like the Abbasid's though, plus with how fast a muslim nation can expand it makes a bit more sense to have it eventually completely collapse into warring states that start it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Gorelab posted:

It doesn't seem to do much to stop something like the Abbasid's though, plus with how fast a muslim nation can expand it makes a bit more sense to have it eventually completely collapse into warring states that start it again.

Plus I think it'd be more fun to have to start again as King of Arabia or something and reconquer my old vassals than juts have the name on the blob change.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Giving into a faction that demands lower tribal organization doesn't seem to do anything. They've revolted twice since I set it to Low, I've surrendered both times, and it's still at Low.

e: Looks like it's to lower organization in Chernigov, but I'm Magyar. I don't have control over the duchy of Chernigov's laws?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I would really love a single button that just looks at your direct vassals, determines who isn't under their de jure liege, and transfers them over all at once.

My dude is emperor of the HRE and his brother; the king of Italy, Burgundy, and East Francia just died. When the inheritance kicked in I was 68/38. Cue 45 real life minutes of vassal tetris.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

monster on a stick posted:

That happens now if you are over your vassal limit. No CB either.

Huh? You get strong claims on all of their titles.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Looks like the Saxons are a bit hosed since they have no real defense against a united Francia once one of the Karling brothers bites it. I figured they'd get a few events to help them out a bit and recreate the Saxon wars.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Looks like the Saxons are a bit hosed since they have no real defense against a united Francia once one of the Karling brothers bites it. I figured they'd get a few events to help them out a bit and recreate the Saxon wars.

They get an event fired rebellion led by Widukind, at least. I've seen it succeed more than once.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've been able to beat a united Francia twice, mostly because the AI is dumb. Just refuse to fight them until you outnumber their stacks 3 to 1 (possibly 2 to 1, but they have better troops than you so be careful). The attrition, especially in winter, will slaughter their doomstacks.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
As part of the Karling storyline I assume? Does it fire when the player is Saxony too?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Just wanna give a big "gently caress you" to my viceroy who changed the inheritance from Ag-Cog to Agnatic (why are viceroys allowed to do this)

Also maybe this is nitpicky but I feel like you should be able to revoke viceroy titles at will.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

I kind of want to play Mali and try to forge some kind of massive empire with them. I am depressed about the idea though because they probably don't have any specific events or gameplay features. Which would render the whole thing kind of hollow.

Well, seeing as how surviving as Mali before Charlemagne was arguably the hardest start in the game, that's probably not a very good idea.

Now though, it seems to be so much worse: Until the year 1233 all of de-jure Mali is tribal. That would mean that you have to upgrade every single county until it can switch to feudalism and fill each county with city/temple/barony holdings by yourself. This is stupid enough, but you must remember that you're quite literally trapped by the muslim clowncar, under a religion with no bonuses/features, and scraping by with the only source of income being the one temple vassal in each county and some 15 gold tax mud-huts.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2014

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Haven't played this in a while, just came back for the expansion and feel kinda lost (not that I was ever good at the game in the first place).

So I play as Sigurd up in Sweden and conquer most of the Scandinavian lands before my first king croaks. I created a custom Swedish kingdom instead of a de jure, but as soon as my first
character croaks it gets all split up between his sons and suddenly there's a kingdom of Finland, of Norway and a de jure kingdom of Sweden with its normal borders.

How do I avoid this ? Throw all my sons after the first one into prison ? Kill them off in suicide raids ? Or is there a more elegant way ?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Apparently there's one last Zunist character in the old gods start: he's the vassal count of Bost inside the Saffarid Shahdom. If he was still a Tribal lord he would be probably the hardest start in the game.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

My game as the Republic of Essex might already be over. Somehow a feudal vassal of mine won the election despite my house being the expected successor and the feudal lord being old and incapable. I have no claims that will make Essex a republic again, the best I can do is fight for my independence. Now that I think about it, I still have six centuries or so until the end date, I might as well try to think of this as a setback rather than the end. Still though, I thought feudal leaders were disqualified from elections? I'm guessing it's a bug of some kind, because three of the five great houses in my republic went extinct when my old ruler died.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Hammerstein posted:

How do I avoid this ? Throw all my sons after the first one into prison ? Kill them off in suicide raids ? Or is there a more elegant way ?

It was suggested that you should instead of marrying or taking concubines, only legitimize bastards, and only do so if you haven't already got an heir.

There is no reliable way of doing this, the best you can hope for sometimes is to plot to kill your brothers when you inherit.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I fired up a game as Karl Karling to give a try at the Holy Roman Empire thing.

April 769, an event fired where Karloman's vassals forced him to give the kingship of Middle Francia to me.

:confuoot:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you have a brother you can live with inheriting in the event of your untimely demise, the plan someone suggested of marrying someone old or celibate for the stats, inviting a bunch of single women with claims to court and siring a bunch of bastards, then waiting until they get into their teens and legitimizing whichever one looks promising seems pretty workable in theory.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you have a brother you can live with inheriting in the event of your untimely demise, the plan someone suggested of marrying someone old or celibate for the stats, inviting a bunch of single women with claims to court and siring a bunch of bastards, then waiting until they get into their teens and legitimizing whichever one looks promising seems pretty workable in theory.

The only time I've ever seen a "legitimize bastard" event was when the child was born - I know there's an event that is supposed to let you do this again but I've never seen it fire, and I haven't seen an intrigue/diplomacy/etc. option for it either.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a legitimize bastard decision always available if you have an acknowledged bastard. If you disavow the child at birth then you don't get any second chances on it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I guess I could deal with my brothers one way or another, but the crazy thing is how suddenly all these kingdoms are created, which otherwise cost a poor Norse a ton of gold.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Despite all the bugs and legitimate reasons to complain, a lot of these new features really help break up blobs and make things interesting. I took these screenshots 100 years into my Kingdom of Gautland (Austergautland, Vestergautland, and Smaland) game.

Charlemagne didn't form an empire, and after some female inheritances, there are no more Karling rulers on the map. The Umayyads conquered Aquitaine, and Venice won the Crusade to take it back. When that Doge died, all the Grand Cities outside of the Duchy of Aquitaine became independent, resulting in the Free Italian Cities of Aquitaine. Andalusia broke free from the Umayyads at some point, and a Suebi reclaimed some territory. One of those provinces even flipped to Portuguese before they were reconquered. The pagan lands are in constant flux.

Also, Pictland was inherited by a German king, so Scots should be appearing soon.

Another fun fact I realized: Norse culture splits into Swedish/Norwegian/Danish based on the de jure kingdom of the province. Since my duchies are drifting into a custom kingdom, they'll be Norse forever!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Inside Outside posted:

My game as the Republic of Essex might already be over. Somehow a feudal vassal of mine won the election despite my house being the expected successor and the feudal lord being old and incapable. I have no claims that will make Essex a republic again, the best I can do is fight for my independence. Now that I think about it, I still have six centuries or so until the end date, I might as well try to think of this as a setback rather than the end. Still though, I thought feudal leaders were disqualified from elections? I'm guessing it's a bug of some kind, because three of the five great houses in my republic went extinct when my old ruler died.

I think there's a few weird bugs with republics going on right now. For some reason, if my character dies, and I lose the election for grand mayor, my game ends and it gives me the "You have become a republic, game over" error that you get when you don't have the republic DLC installed. The person from the opposing family who got elected just throws away his rich people clothes and becomes a standard duke. I've been countering it by restarting from my last Jan 1st autosave should my character die, and pouring money into campaign funds. Repeat until my character lives long enough for my family to win the election upon the death of the doge. It's really not hard to win the election with anyone should you spend 2 years dedicated to campaign funds, especially with how lovely the AI families are at growing. I'm the strongest republic I've ever been already, dwarfing 1066 venice and amalfi, and I'm not even at the old gods start date.

My family owns every one of those trade zones. I have 15 trade posts to the second strongest family's 2. I also already have a maxxed out palace, and level 3 trade practices in my capital. Probably in the next doge's lifespan, I'll attempt independence. I'm bringing in 13 gold per month, which seems strangely low (my total trade zone is worth almost 1,000 gold, and my total trade post income is almost 180 per month. :iiam:), but the king is making less than 3, so whatever. After that, well, I have a lot of cities to seize. :getin: Eastern France has completely collapsed, and the Abassids are loving ridiculous. They could probably form the kingdom of abyssinia, and nubia isn't far behind, along with their standard domination of the middle east and north africa. About ready to start chipping into southern Spain from the looks of it. The Byzantines have also spread really far east and west though, so the jihads and crusades should be fun to watch.

If anyone is wondering how I set this up, the province on the southern side of the river in the middle of my territory is named Breda. At the charlemagne start date, the person who holds it or his liege has two duchy titles. Just granted one to the mayor of the city in Breda on Jan 1st, quick saved, and loaded the game as the grand mayor. You can start a republic day one with any double duke who has a county on the coast.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 17, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know what the trigger for forming Portuguese culture from the 769 date is?

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Does anyone know what the trigger for forming Portuguese culture from the 769 date is?

Suebi-culture provinces in de jure Galacia or Portugal, and a ruler who is not Muslim. The mean time to happen is 300 years (150 if you're already Portuguese), so be prepared to wait a while.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KOraithER posted:

Despite all the bugs and legitimate reasons to complain, a lot of these new features really help break up blobs and make things interesting. I took these screenshots 100 years into my Kingdom of Gautland (Austergautland, Vestergautland, and Smaland) game.

I don't believe you, the Abbasids are forever unstoppable in all possible universes.

Edit: oh, they're still unstoppable in your universe. Carry on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

KOraithER posted:

Suebi-culture provinces in de jure Galacia or Portugal, and a ruler who is not Muslim. The mean time to happen is 300 years (150 if you're already Portuguese), so be prepared to wait a while.

Okay, thanks!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

You can apparently get Strong, Genius, Quick, and Blind via events if you're Zunist.

Holy gently caress what.

You get Blind by staring at the sun too long, right?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

You get Blind by staring at the sun too long, right?

But Mama, that's where the fun is.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sigurd Hring really takes his time to form proper Svíþjóð.

So does Charlemagne to form Francia, actually. Odd.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Saxony sure is a strange pot, some times nothing happens and you win all your wars single handily, and other times, this happens

The karling who now owns all the Karling kingdoms declared war on me in month one, lost my heir in first battle and spent many decades trying to get a new heir. Other pagans tried to jump on the wagon, both to save and conquer me.

He has been staving his armys out and loosing dukes left and right in battles.

But the last Karling does not care. I mean I'm 1/10th his size, The battle should of been won a decade ago.

He finally decides to call an end to the war, but as his message is getting sent, he changes his mind and continues the campaign.

My king dies in the first battle, and with not such a prestigious one year old on the throne, no one wants to help, but invade instead.

I decided I think I may end that game, its a loosing battle as getting a kid as king also disables the new event actions the chancellors can take, which have saved my hide when the Karling army manages to rout my routing armies, which also resets the attrition rate the army takes.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Still running 2.1.6 (want to finish my current Roman Empire run as a Basque Cathar before I go to 2.2+)

So I'm in a holy war against the HRE in CK2 and have a plot to kill the emperor going at the same time when hit 100% warscore. The plot fires off before I can offer peace, and when I do offer the emperor peace he accepts. Literally the next day he dies, so I immeditiately fire of another Holy War.

I love abusing the fact :ese: is a good way to get around the truce timer.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, lool, decided to see if I could spice up the Canaries a little and gave them a lot of gold and prestige then went elsewhere for a while. Later check on them and the dude built up a bunch of crap but didn't seem to want to up his centralization or whatever, even though he had no reason not to. So I enable laws, jack it up to max and then hit the 'Found Republic' button, only to discover you have to be unreformed to do so? What the heck is up with that?

Oh and when I changed him into reformed Norse it CTD-ed, so good jorb Paradox.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Haven't played this in a while, just came back for the expansion and feel kinda lost (not that I was ever good at the game in the first place).

So I play as Sigurd up in Sweden and conquer most of the Scandinavian lands before my first king croaks. I created a custom Swedish kingdom instead of a de jure, but as soon as my first
character croaks it gets all split up between his sons and suddenly there's a kingdom of Finland, of Norway and a de jure kingdom of Sweden with its normal borders.

The intended way is to upgrade yourself all the way to Feudal and switch to Elective. Which is do-able, to be fair! I didn't do it on Sigurd, but thankfully he only had Ragnarr Lodbrok before croaking. You'll need to:

-Raid frequently - Tribals get naff all Gold and you'll need a lot to upgrade all your hillforts and get Kingdoms.
-Get the 3 holy sites and reform. Considering Francia will most likely be sitting on the Germanic ones, I'd recommend just rushing the Scandinavian ones and then raiding Irish temples for a while.
-Upgrade holdings - You only need to upgrade your capital, but it'd be a good idea to upgrade the others in your demesne. Otherwise you're kinda screwed as you get Wrong Holding Type if you're Feudal holding Tribal titles.
-Change Tribal Laws to Absolute - this will take ~25 years, 5 years between each law change.

Don't forget to switch inheritance laws on every Kingdom you create though. Otherwise you're as screwed as ever and the game forgets to tell you you're screwed.

Not So Fast fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 17, 2014

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

So I just started a game as the Doge of Amalfi to try to learn Republics, and its going pretty well so far. My family have been doges for the past three generations now (the last one by accident, I tried to not get elected so I could find out what not being Doge was like and I still won, so I'm trying harder this time :v ), I've conquered Capua and Neapolis, and now I'm the Doge of two Republics - Amalfi and Neapolis.

What happens when my current character dies if I am Doge of two Republics? Are there separate elections for both or is the Republic of Neapolis permanently bonded to Amalfi? I can't find any of the families for the Republic of Neapolis (my second Republic) anywhere, is there some way to find them?

Also a while back the Emperor of Byzantium tried to vassal me. What are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of being a vassal versus being a small independent? I've actually never played as a vassal before. On that note, I read that if I'm not doge I can do a whole bunch of other stuff, like try to steal trading posts and things. Is there any value to staying as not-Doge for a while?

Oh, yeah, I've been reading here that there's some bug in the new patch where losing an election causes the end of the game? Should I be trying my damnedest to get elected instead?

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006
I am playing as Charlemagne and doing great. But do anyone know of a good way to deal with conquered tribes? Should I wait for them to go feudal by themselves or should I buy buildings for them?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gorelab posted:

You know what would probably be better is give event troops to muslim rulers fighting a high decadence fellow muslim. Just... not Adventurer level event troops.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MinistryofLard posted:

So I just started a game as the Doge of Amalfi to try to learn Republics, and its going pretty well so far. My family have been doges for the past three generations now (the last one by accident, I tried to not get elected so I could find out what not being Doge was like and I still won, so I'm trying harder this time :v ), I've conquered Capua and Neapolis, and now I'm the Doge of two Republics - Amalfi and Neapolis.

What happens when my current character dies if I am Doge of two Republics? Are there separate elections for both or is the Republic of Neapolis permanently bonded to Amalfi? I can't find any of the families for the Republic of Neapolis (my second Republic) anywhere, is there some way to find them?

Also a while back the Emperor of Byzantium tried to vassal me. What are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of being a vassal versus being a small independent? I've actually never played as a vassal before. On that note, I read that if I'm not doge I can do a whole bunch of other stuff, like try to steal trading posts and things. Is there any value to staying as not-Doge for a while?

Oh, yeah, I've been reading here that there's some bug in the new patch where losing an election causes the end of the game? Should I be trying my damnedest to get elected instead?

There is only one merchant Republic in your realm, the Republic of Amalfi. Neapolis is simply a duchy belonging to the Doge of Amalfi, you won't find a second set of families because there are none.

Amalfi is actually one of the harder republics to learn, since the 5 patrician families are split between Catholic Italians and Orthodox Greeks, and it's part of the de jure Byzantine Empire. If you are an Orthodox Greek then it can be a good idea to swaer fealty to the emperor, since that would make you secure from basically any outside threat for a long time. Remember that you will have to pay city taxes to the emperor though (as a patrician only 50% of other mayors).

Losing the election can be a disaster since the AI will often grossly mismanage the realm. If you are a vassal of the Byzantines then nothing bad should happen, but if you are still independent it could easily mean that somebody sets out to conquer you and is successful, resulting in a game over. You should avoid losing the elections if at all possible. You can try it once to see how it turns out if you save before your ruler dies.

And yes, that bug with an instant game over when losing an election was introduced with Charlemagne, so if you want to continue, your line must hold the dogeship.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I destroyed the Abbasids in my Zoroastrian game.

It felt really good.

Of course then I lost much of east persia to the ilkhanate but thats par for course with hordes, I suppose.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Torrannor posted:

There is only one merchant Republic in your realm, the Republic of Amalfi. Neapolis is simply a duchy belonging to the Doge of Amalfi, you won't find a second set of families because there are none.

Amalfi is actually one of the harder republics to learn, since the 5 patrician families are split between Catholic Italians and Orthodox Greeks, and it's part of the de jure Byzantine Empire. If you are an Orthodox Greek then it can be a good idea to swaer fealty to the emperor, since that would make you secure from basically any outside threat for a long time. Remember that you will have to pay city taxes to the emperor though (as a patrician only 50% of other mayors).

Losing the election can be a disaster since the AI will often grossly mismanage the realm. If you are a vassal of the Byzantines then nothing bad should happen, but if you are still independent it could easily mean that somebody sets out to conquer you and is successful, resulting in a game over. You should avoid losing the elections if at all possible. You can try it once to see how it turns out if you save before your ruler dies.

And yes, that bug with an instant game over when losing an election was introduced with Charlemagne, so if you want to continue, your line must hold the dogeship.

Huh, that's weird because Im not listed as a count. I explicitly have the Republic of Neapolis and its Grand City as well as the Republic of Amalfi and its Grand City. Is this a bug? If it helps I took Neapolis and Capua (now Gaeta) by building a trade post, using the sieze city CB, and then using the CB republics get on counties they own cities in to seize the county.

Also I guess I don't have to worry anymore about losing the game if I lose an election because I keep winning them anyway. I just killed off my Doge using the console and my 10 year old designated heir still won, which should be impossible. Have I found another dumb bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The ruler of Kiev in the new start date is a 19 year old girl, cool.

• Locked thread