Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Scrub Lover posted:

i'm not a pixel artist 'by trade' but i've been dabbling in it lately.

beany kid

It's great seeing this style of a hand-drawn look applied to pixels.

New member of the Waffle Conans gang:

Scut fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Scut posted:

It's great seeing this style of a hand-drawn look applied to pixels.

New member of the Waffle Conans gang:

this might piss some of you off but my approach to pixel art is starting out with a regular full-size drawing - using the PS pencil tool - and shrinking it down to like 5-10% original size using nearest neighbor. then i zoom in real close and clean up the pixels one by one.

for example, the jim face started out like this:

might be cheating, but i like the end result, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 8, 2014

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
gently caress what cheating is, gently caress rules. Do you. :)

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I'm reporting you to the bureau of pixel art ethics association and I'll have your license revoked! :cop:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
well the op has very strict rules about what is considered 'true' pixel art, just sayin

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

RedRupee posted:

I'm reporting you to the bureau of pixel art ethics association and I'll have your license revoked! :cop:

I'm a loose cannon! *throws badge on desk revealing severe banding and colour cluster issues*

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hahaha, just 78 more of these to go! Hahaha hahaha

78 spritesheets with 78 frames! :cry:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shoehead posted:

How do you survive, without a day job? :v:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scrub Lover posted:

well the op has very strict rules about what is considered 'true' pixel art, just sayin

It's clear that there is a lot of manipulation after you have down-scaled the art, and that it's part of your process rather than (for lack of a better term) a cheat. I know there are differing opinions on what constitutes pixel art, but I've never been a fan of purism in any art form. To me, it's a medium in which the individual pixels are visible, and were manually crafted within a small set of constraints. If you built a scaffold to help erect the building, that's cool.

I think pixel artists can become annoyed when they sense that someone cutting corners is diluting the quality of their own work, or that they are missing the point of what sets the medium apart from others. Dudes on the internet tend to be lacking however when it comes to applying a measure of perspective to the thing that's annoying them.

Shoehead posted:

How many characters would you actually need to get a solid playable game out though? A dozen perhaps?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jackard posted:

How do you survive, without a day job? :v:

Scut posted:

How many characters would you actually need to get a solid playable game out though? A dozen perhaps?

I'm a crazy person.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Scut posted:

It's clear that there is a lot of manipulation after you have down-scaled the art, and that it's part of your process rather than (for lack of a better term) a cheat. I know there are differing opinions on what constitutes pixel art, but I've never been a fan of purism in any art form. To me, it's a medium in which the individual pixels are visible, and were manually crafted within a small set of constraints. If you built a scaffold to help erect the building, that's cool.

I think pixel artists can become annoyed when they sense that someone cutting corners is diluting the quality of their own work, or that they are missing the point of what sets the medium apart from others. Dudes on the internet tend to be lacking however when it comes to applying a measure of perspective to the thing that's annoying them.

I'd like to add to this and say that pixel art grognardism, much like in really any other form of grogging, totally misses the fact that the huge majority of iconic pixel art backgrounds, sprites, etc, were pretty much constructed entirely with the method of either downscaling or color mapping, and that that's totally fine. A ton of editing has to be done to make that kind of conversion look good, and a lot of people forget that and instantly go into "computers make art easy" mode which still somehow hounds digital artists in other fields.

Basically, Scrub Lover, you're doing great, and my own style has been getting a lot closer to the first thing you posted as well, so you're not alone in your train of thought regarding process.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Scrub Lover posted:

The guy who wrote the (imo) definitive outline of what makes 'pure' pixelart is cure, and he even works from colour-reduced drawings he's done, e.g. (nws-ish) this, from a mural

the pixel-purity thing is largely a personal challenge, but it also gives good fundamentals for working with pixel art's little quirks. Much easier to get good lines by hand/with larger images regardless.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Slow day in work

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Decided to go back to what I've done in the past; weapons, shields (will probably try armor at some point) and items in general. Tried a variety of weapons, I want to try more swords but there's only so many ways you can make a traditional straight sword look unique at this size, so i decided to try my hand at different, more curved swords.

Items/Weapons/etc are going to be within 32x32, originally tried 16x16 but i felt it was too limiting and didn't leave me enough room to put much detail and left the ones i did try in 16x16 looking oddly proportioned (3 Pixel wide blade with a 1 pixel wide handle).

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 11, 2014

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I'm working on a job that involves making some top-down tilesets, and I figured I'd ask: Does anyone have an image that's a "proof" showing all the possible single- wall combinations that you need when using somewhat complex shapes? It would be easy if it were just single blocks, but my method is this:

code:

[Black Ceiling] - (only partially filling the bottom of the tile, and used to cover the floor/characters behind it.)
[ Wall Block  ] - (solid front, is the physical barrier)

Perfectly simple when you're dealing with walls that are 2+ tiles thick, but not so much otherwise. The issue is that the ceiling piece changes to match an L-bend in the wall, etc, so of course that explodes into a lot of special cases depending on the level geometry.

Actually just any in-depth articles about tilesets would be cool too.

*edit* That wasn't so bad, I think you just have your shapes like + - |, then every corner, and any single-tile offset intersections.

Locus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 11, 2014

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
If I'm reading you correctly, this guide should help.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40985.0

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Scut posted:

If I'm reading you correctly, this guide should help.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40985.0

Perfect, thank you!

Although it looks like she's not supporting the "S" Tetris block shape in her system. Hm.

Locus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 11, 2014

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Take a look at set 4.

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

Scut posted:

Take a look at set 4.

That one's kinda blurry. Could you show set 3 again, please?

:D

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Scut posted:

Take a look at set 4.

I see. My problem comes from the roof tiles that go on top of actual blocks. It required a weird middle piece, like so:

(not the actual tileset I'm working on)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Locus posted:

I see. My problem comes from the roof tiles that go on top of actual blocks. It required a weird middle piece, like so:

(not the actual tileset I'm working on)

Just make it thin on one side?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I made a tribute Grid Gangs card for a character from Thomas Nopper's Mutant Gangland. The layout and frame art is still placeholder at this point but I was excited to show off my depiction of 'Prima'!

Mutant Gangland is gonna be dope, keep an eye out for it, or grab the alpha now if you are into early access!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Looking good! I'm p happy w the frame, just have to figure out the name and gang affiliation text below and that's our card template.

Thomas Noppers btw is someone who's made HUGE progress with his pixel art the past year or two, really inspiring to see.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've uhh... been doing some research for Grid Gangs down the line...

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/publish/product/PokerDeck

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What is Grid Gangs? Or are you guys not talking about it? (Or did I miss it?)

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shoehead posted:

What is Grid Gangs? Or are you guys not talking about it? (Or did I miss it?)

It's a series of trading cards Scut came up with. So far i'm totally lagging behind! Outside of discussing the details of the frame all I've managed so far is this dude:

And an early attempt to get myself familiar w the palette by copying (a part of) one of Scut's characters:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Chaos Engine and I were swapping ideas about it on twitter. I haven't done an art collab in a long time and the idea of a trading card seemed like a fun way of coming up with some fresh ideas that were not locked into a specific IP. I'm thinking Grid Gangs can be like Garbage Pail Kids or those 'Dinosaurs Attack!' card sets that stood on their own.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Have I mentioned how stupidly fun tilesets are?!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
What program are you using for drawing tiles? Interesting choice of shadow colour btw.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

What program are you using for drawing tiles? Interesting choice of shadow colour btw.

Drawing the sheets in Aseprite, which has this great tiling tool if you want to do patterns, and putting it together in Tiled.

Enjoy 4 maps stitched together

Edit: Poemdexter pointed out to me that the river banks looked super flat

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 17, 2014

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

A quick animation I did for a game jam last week. It scrolls through the frames faster in-game.

And some items!

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

FuriousGrey posted:

And some items!

Wow, those look really nice!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Oh my this looks so much better. It reads a lot better and now I wanna play in this world. :)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

poemdexter posted:

Oh my this looks so much better. It reads a lot better and now I wanna play in this world. :)

Soon maybe!

Been learning unity this week. I fuckin love the animator!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoehead posted:

Soon maybe!

Dude, this looks sooooo much better than the sharkpuncher sprites. Also, goondolences if this means you are about to redo all the art...

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shoehead posted:

Soon maybe!

I was looking over the animation documentation for Unity, it talks all about 3d models and such. Is there anything specific you're using for 2d? Or are you just putting the hierarchy to good use?

Aygtets
Nov 8, 2005

I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean.

Quick animation to get a feel for the style. Thinking about working on a side scrolling roguelike.

Aygtets fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 22, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I was looking over the animation documentation for Unity, it talks all about 3d models and such. Is there anything specific you're using for 2d? Or are you just putting the hierarchy to good use?

Heck YEAH it does:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shoehead posted:

Heck YEAH it does:

Okay I know about futile for 2d is that what you're using with it? Also, worth it to learn unity from zero c# knowledge?