Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://blog.djmnet.org/2013/01/14/from-novice-to-master-and-back-again/ :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Discrete GPUs will always be popular.

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's always going to be niche industries and markets

lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Discrete GPUs were always for niche markets, but that didn't stop it from being a billion dollar market.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Discrete GPUs were always for niche markets, but that didn't stop it from being a billion bitcoin market.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
gnome 3.14 in the arch repo~

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

oval office AND PASTE posted:

gnome 3.14 in the arch repo~

i already upgraded to f21 it's good stuff

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

ok gnome 3.12 was really good but everything is up a notch. i've never known a computer to actually become faster while i owned it.

went back to windows 10 for a moment and looked at its multiple desktop implementation, lol what a shitshow in direct comparison

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i got one of those 2-in-1 tablet laptops and despite all the talk about tablet support, gnome is loving garbage on it

i can't even figure out how to get an onscreen keyboard

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
The best part about gnome 3.14 is the new default gtk theme.

It is very pretty :3:

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i got one of those 2-in-1 tablet laptops and despite all the talk about tablet support, gnome is loving garbage on it

hmm, it actually looks like it owns a bunch. watch: http://www.gnome.org/press/2014/09/gnome-3-14-released-a-refined-experience/

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i can't even figure out how to get an onscreen keyboard

settings > universal access > set "Screen Keyboard" to on

if you want to turn it on and off without having to drill into the settings menu, set "Always Show Universal Access Menu" to on

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Rahu posted:

The best part about gnome 3.14 is the new default gtk theme.

It is very pretty :3:

it was already really good

i'm really liking the new animations, they're subtle (ok the Applications menu one isn't but the rest are), and somehow despite them, the shell runs even faster than before

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok next step try to figure out how the gently caress to get fedora 21 alpha working

i fuckin hate gnome 3 but i want to give them 100% benefit of the doubt on this multitouch poo poo. this is what they claim to have been optimizing for all along: hybrid tablet/laptop, small screen, low resolution

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i don't get the hate. it's a completely different way to work and if you give yourself some time to shed some dumb old habits, the workspaces-as-tasks thing is really really great and using anything else becomes a chore.

i had two monitors and reduced back down to one because workspaces are that great

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
apparently they want us to pronounce it g'nome (with a hard g)
http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/09/gnome-3-14-released/

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jome

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i don't get the hate. it's a completely different way to work

if you don't understand the conflict between these statements, you are well-suited to a career in the exciting field of gnome 3 masturbation

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you don't understand the conflict between these statements, you are well-suited to a career in the exciting field of gnome 3 masturbation

g'accuse

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its rly crazy people put so much effort into poo poo no one will ever use lol godspeed gnome 3 devs

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

its rly crazy people put so much effort into poo poo no one will ever use lol godspeed gnome 3 devs

i might actually use it if it suits my needs on this multitouch poo poo

(and i am the real target audience, even if they don't believe it: a unix desktop user who cares more about having a unix desktop than how unpleasant it is. there are hundreds of us!!!!!!)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i might actually use it if it suits my needs on this multitouch poo poo

which convertible tablet pc did u buy

confession is good for the soul

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theadder posted:

which convertible tablet pc did u buy

confession is good for the soul

it was like $200 on dfs off-lease deals. call it a roulette bet on gnome 3

i would never try to get by at work with something this lame

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

i put ubuntu gnome on mine and it doesn't recognize the touchscreen and the five minutes i spent googling it, nobody else know how to get it going either

which is weird because it Just Worked with ubuntu 12.04 out of the box

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no its not weird at all op

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
regressive bugs are a cornerstone of the linux experience

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i put ubuntu gnome on mine and it doesn't recognize the touchscreen and the five minutes i spent googling it, nobody else know how to get it going either

saving this one. it's too good.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I'm going to have to try gnome 3 one day, ignorant prejudice has served me well so far but I feel like I'm approaching the limit of what it has to offer

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
The gnome 3 desktop experience is so good that microsoft feels they need to catch up or be left behind. That's what windows 10 is all about but they still fall far short. What more evidence do you need

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ugh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahaha yeah loving right

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

what if you're using gentoo?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

buy a linux laptop

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://lwn.net/Articles/616571/

[tantrum-throwing intensifies]

for reference this is the guy who threw a tantrum of absolutely biblical proportions when Debian switched to systemd "by default" (i.e. chose systemd as the only init system that's actually going to matter, same as every other linux, because people who are actually paid to do productive things with a linux understand that systemd helps you get poo poo done and philosophical navel-gazing while making no forward progress does not)

on the plus side, the lwn reaction to this latest shitfit is overwhelmingly negative. i'd have at least some respect for the whiners if they actually wrote any code in the last six months instead of just bitching and demanding that everything remain the same.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 17, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001

may the lord visit extreme violence upon the creator of this

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's the discrepancy between penny pinching on a MacBook's memory but willing to overpay for a bloated plastic Linux laptop.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
System76 is kinda lovely but God's own laptop (Thinkpad T series) can run linux perfectly fine.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

for reference this is the guy who threw a tantrum of absolutely biblical proportions when Debian switched to systemd "by default" (i.e. chose systemd as the only init system that's actually going to matter, same as every other linux, because people who are actually paid to do productive things with a linux understand that systemd helps you get poo poo done and philosophical navel-gazing while making no forward progress does not)

Yeah, I'm going to get paid to productively convert all our loving infrastructure to systemd instead of useful loving work.

Seriously, gently caress systemd.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what

systemd owns lmao

fleet is clunky but still pretty much owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Zombywuf posted:

Yeah, I'm going to get paid to productively convert all our loving infrastructure to systemd instead of useful loving work.

Seriously, gently caress systemd.

i thought systemd is backwards compatible??