Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Alternatively, someone could give God of War the Doom Roguelike treatment. I'd play it.

The Minotaur reminds you of your bloodstained past. You have been paralyzed. -more-
The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur bashes you with its giant warhammer. -more-
You have been killed. Identify your possessions? [y/n]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Minotaur reminds you of your bloodstained past. You have been paralyzed. -more-
The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur slams you. The Minotaur bashes you with its giant warhammer. -more-
You have been killed. Identify your possessions? [y/n]

The Revenant is weakened, A chance for a grab appears!
Do you continue grabbing? [y/n]
The revenant is dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is it just me, or are there not as many video game novelizations anymore? Or am I just not looking anymore? I've read several of them, including like five Halo novels and I will defend them to the death as an art form because when they're good, they're pretty good and when they're bad, they're AMAZING.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Alternatively, someone could give God of War the Doom Roguelike treatment. I'd play it.

There is a Blades of Kratos on the floor.
You picked up a Blades of Kratos.
You equip a Blades of Kratos.
A Blades of Kratos was cursed!
The Muse has turned into a Harpy!
The shopkeeper has turned into a Harpy!
The gravedigger has turned into a Harpy!
Kratos attacks the Harpy with a Blades of Kratos (cursed).
The Harpy is slain.
The city guard has turned into a Harpy!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it just me, or are there not as many video game novelizations anymore? Or am I just not looking anymore? I've read several of them, including like five Halo novels and I will defend them to the death as an art form because when they're good, they're pretty good and when they're bad, they're AMAZING.
If anything, there's more than ever. Hell, I've seen no less than three different AssCreed novels my last trip to the library (in addition to the standard loadout of Halo, Mass Effect and even Crysis and Battlefield(whatthefuck)) - and that's just that poo poo that gets translated into Czech, I can't imagine how much of it doesn't make it over the ocean.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 16, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my god there are Assassin's Creed novels? What a world.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my god there are Assassin's Creed novels? What a world.

Ezio, perched above his assassination target, was distracted by a collectible flag in the distance, and then by the side-mission he needs to complete to get an unlockable costume.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
For extra fun, looking up the GOW novel on Amazon shows an audio book version that is being read by someone doing their best Patrick Stewart impression.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CzarChasm posted:

For extra fun, looking up the GOW novel on Amazon shows an audio book version that is being read by someone doing their best Patrick Stewart impression.

Are you sure it's not actually Patrick Stewart? Nowadays that dude just does whatever he thinks will be funny on any given day (and since he seems to be high as gently caress most of the time, that's a low threshold).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Schwartzcough posted:

Are you sure it's not actually Patrick Stewart? Nowadays that dude just does whatever he thinks will be funny on any given day (and since he seems to be high as gently caress most of the time, that's a low threshold).

I think at this point he reserves his A-game for Shakespeare productions and that's about it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Schwartzcough posted:

Patrick Stewart smoking weed is something I want to see more than anything.

Bonus points if he does it wearing the Captain's uniform.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
I was making joke tweets about novelizations because I was reading this thread, and soon asked if there was ever a novelization of a game or movie that was already based on a book. Like a novelization of each Hobbit movie.

There's a novelization of the Dante's Inferno game, that one God-of-War-like game that came out a month before God of War 3 that everyone forgot about.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

tlarn posted:

I was making joke tweets about novelizations because I was reading this thread, and soon asked if there was ever a novelization of a game or movie that was already based on a book. Like a novelization of each Hobbit movie.

There's a novelization of the Dante's Inferno game, that one God-of-War-like game that came out a month before God of War 3 that everyone forgot about.

"And after killing the naked snake ladies, Dante entered an elevator to ascend the heights of the Dick Tower in the Ring of Lust. Then, Giant Cleopatra straddled the tower, and hissed at him, and from her nipple mouths came demon babies to attack him, and Virgil said 'Press X Dante, so not to die.'"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I want to do an LP of Dante's Inferno one of these days just because all of the existing ones play on easy difficulties and breeze through the fights with no strategy or skill. I don't have strategy or skill either, but would play on Hard to show what they'd look like if I did.

I believe it's at level 4 when the Blades of Chaos get my second-favorite move, and one that I found essential in God difficulty - I can never remember what it's called and just call it "the space clearing move", but you just hold down the quick attack button and Kratos sort of flails for a while with lots of horizontal swings that send enemies flying. Change direction once or twice while you're doing it, and you get a huge area free of enemies for a while. It never appeared in any of the later games, and I mourn its loss. At least my favorite move made a couple of reappearances, but that's not until level 5.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Obviously you'd want to work some sort of combo system into a GoW roguelike, but the idea that it would be nothing but bump attacks is amusing.

I kinda want to do boat captain fanfic now. That guy knew what was up with big K and he had some bangin' concubines.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If ever I find time after my LP, I may do Dante's Inferno too. I have a fondness for it despite its flaws, and it'd give me an excuse to do dramatic readings of the actual Inferno. Plus, I've always wanted to see sequels that covered Paradiso and Purgatorio.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

If I recall correctly isn't Transmetropolitan his favorite comic book/graphic novel? Despite his talents his tastes can sometimes be a bit different. (For the uninitiated, Transmetropolitan is absolutely batshit crazy.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

If I recall correctly isn't Transmetropolitan his favorite comic book/graphic novel? Despite his talents his tastes can sometimes be a bit different. (For the uninitiated, Transmetropolitan is absolutely batshit crazy.)

It's set in a hosed up maybe-dystopia but mostly kind of the present only moreso future, and the main character is inspired by to the point of literally being Hunter S. Thompson. There is no way it could not be batshit.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

NGDBSS posted:

Patrick Stewart has done one of Spider's rants before at a Con, and I think has gone on record that he'd be willing to play him in a movie.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

citybeatnik posted:

Patrick Stewart has done one of Spider's rants before at a Con, and I think has gone on record that he'd be willing to play him in a movie.

I need this.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Looks like my memory was faulty - Warren Ellis, at a Con, talked about how Stewart was a huge fan. Closest that I've got is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCPWC3jKx4

Also, he apparently wrote the introduction to the 5th volume.

Patrick Stewart posted:

Warren Ellis asked me to write this and I am O.K. with that up to a point. My unease is that the point is unnervingly sharp and very likely to turn in my direction. Here is the problem. Warren knows that I am a TRANSMETROPOLITAN fan, but how can he expect me to write about that? Does he think I just came down the Clyde on a tea biscuit? No sirree, this is not my first barbecue. If I write that Spider Jerusalem is my hero, does he think Spider will let me get away with that? I would be lucky to only suffer a blast from a bowel disrupter and it is much more likely my eyeballs will be popped as easily as squeezing a pustule and fed to the cat. If I write that TRANSMET is a beacon of brilliant irony and sardonic satire, could I survive the torrent of saliva-drenched invective and scorn S.J. would heap on me? If I wrote that TRANSMET made me laugh like a drain, are there enough lavatory bowls to contain Jerusalem's vomit?

If I confessed that I lusted after the filthy assistants, what foul perversions would I be accused of? If I praised the artwork as the wittiest, most disturbing since George Grosz, I would soon find myself depicted as a hosed-up, mechanics-addicted, feces-smeared background character. If I hailed this version of the future as persuasive and properly terrifying, I might never live to see it. You get my problem?

I think, however, that I can safely say this: I know this city. I have read The Word, I have listened to these politicians, I have smelt the stink of greed, I have thrown stuff at the TV, I have wondered what future there is for Truth and Beauty. I have wanted to go and live on the top of a Yorkshire moor.

Warren, tell Spider to stay healthy and keep writing the column.

—Patrick Stewart

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 17, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

citybeatnik posted:

Looks like my memory was faulty - Warren Ellis, at a Con, talked about how Stewart was a huge fan. Closest that I've got is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCPWC3jKx4

Also, he apparently wrote the introduction to the 5th volume.

:swoon:

Oh Patrick.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

tlarn posted:

For whatever reason i was super hyped about that game back in highschool and got it day 1 and oh man was that game ever awful. There was no reason at all to ever put more than a few points into the melee tree because ranged was super broken and spammable, which is kind of the opposite of GoW from what i can remember because ranged is usually bad and/or very situational.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Smornstein posted:

For whatever reason i was super hyped about that game back in highschool and got it day 1 and oh man was that game ever awful. There was no reason at all to ever put more than a few points into the melee tree because ranged was super broken and spammable, which is kind of the opposite of GoW from what i can remember because ranged is usually bad and/or very situational.

Ranged in GoW is amazingly powerful and works on basically everything, the problem is it is limited. In DI, you had an infinte ammo, long ranged shotgun that did decent to very good damage, and higher levels had a homing feature, all of that on the same path that gave you more HP. I also remember it giving you a short ranged shockwave that repelled nearby enemies, so you could use the ranged attack in safety...

(If I am remembering right) In God of war, you can kill a lot of things with a full volley of lightning bolts (all of your mana) which takes maybe... 5 or 6 seconds to burn away. It is way faster and stronger than the swords for dealing with say, a cyclops, but it also costs all of your mana. If you had infinite mana, the bolts would probably be the only thing you need in the game... maybe the dodge roll too, but that's questionable?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schwartzcough posted:

Amazon says that the reader is a man by the name of Stephen Hoye, but I'd hire him to be a pretty good impersonator.

Listen for yourself:
http://www.amazon.com/God-War-Matthew-Stover/dp/B007MXRTKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413552135&sr=8-2&keywords=god+of+war+audio+book

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that statue.

"Yeah, we're going to set this statue up to throw a ten-ton stone ball and break down a wall. That's just like, y'know, part of the puzzle."

"But what if somebody gets there and can't claim the box? How do we reset it?"

"Right, so what I was thinking is, how many serrated iron discs can you make in the next 5 years?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly I'm reminded of Metroid Prime and its golem bowling.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Episode! Things happen!

Episode 7: Cerberus ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

YouTube videos are private.

It's not one of my LPs until this happens at least once.

It's fixed.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 22, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
YouTube videos are private.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Wait... those enemies aren't supposed to respawn infinitely on the ramp? When I played on God difficulty, I got stupid and decided to run back and save after I got the cage to the first rock, so by the time I got back, the maximum of four legionnaires had spawned, and I could almost never manage to kill them because I'm terrible at the game. I couldn't begin to tell you how many tries it took me to kill enough of them at once to move the cage at all, and I was too scared to go back and save again, so I used all my magic, several iterations of Rage of the Gods, and the time-honored trick of grabbing the cage from above and pulling it up so I could keep it between me and the constantly-spawning enemies, and I finally managed to get past it years after I'd given up. And it wasn't supposed to be that hard? Are we all sure about that?

At least I got back at the game in that round room with all the yellow soldiers and harpies - I think I'd just used my Rage of the Gods to deal with the Cerberus on the bridge, but I got an enemy in a hallway somewhere into an infinite loop of grabbing and racked up a 2000-hit combo or so, refilling my meter entirely so I could clear that room too. It probably helped that I'd spent all of my orbs on the Blades of Chaos instead of Poseidon's Rage, although that was the next thing I built up.

The Blade of Artemis is really meant for if you need extra red orbs - you get a bonus of 15, I think, for every enemy you kill with it. I generally hate it otherwise, although I found it useful in a few situations once I'd built it up to full power.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the game is supposed to infinitely spawn enemies during the cage-pushing section, because God of War hates you. GoW2 has a similar section where you have to alternate between pushing/pulling something (I think it's an elevator of some kind?) and dealing with enemies, and it also sucks.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
It's really showing how much attention i paid to GoW 1 since i barely remember playing any of this let alone the prisoner frying. I guess 2, 3, and the 2nd PSP game left a better impression on me.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Snake-headed tails are a recurring thing in Greek myth as in addition to Cerberus, we have Chimera as well as the Greek Sphinx who was the daughter of Orthus with either Echidna, Chimera (yes she's actually female despite having a mane), or Ceto which given that they are Orthus' mother, sister, and grandmother respectively is really :gonk:.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I dunno, the book's writing seems pretty in line with the game's.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I dunno, the book's writing seems pretty in line with the game's.

Kind of the problem, isn't it?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Kind of the problem, isn't it?

Depends on how much you enjoy purple prose.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That book was repeating itself so much it's more like fractal prose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The audio in the Cerberus aside is really low and hissy, and it's so bad that I can hardly make out what's being said at times.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

That book was repeating itself so much it's more like fractal prose.

In that case, it's accurate to the source material. Ancient writing, praise be to the son of Cronus, is a touch repetitive. All for the glory of Zeus, the son of Cronus of course. Did I mention that Zeus is the son of Cronus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

In that case, it's accurate to the source material. Ancient writing, praise be to the son of Cronus, is a touch repetitive. All for the glory of Zeus, the son of Cronus of course. Did I mention that Zeus is the son of Cronus?

The thing about Homer and company is that the rosy-fingered dawn and the wine-dark sea were used frequently because they allowed a singer to make easy rhymes and pad out the verses long enough to think of the next line. It's like the epic poetry equivalent of a guitarist dicking around between melodies.

• Locked thread