Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

"Our norms are different" has also been used as a defense of things like Black Pete, and that hasn't stopped protests over that either. And the people protesting weren't Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I can't get over how godawful and ill advised those two zombies were in particular.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Erebus posted:

"Our norms are different" has also been used as a defense of things like Black Pete, and that hasn't stopped protests over that either. And the people protesting weren't Americans.

But :911: Americans ruin everything because they're imperialist pig-dogs :911:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've got a list of European-approved defenses here if yall need them, such as "we don't have all that slavery baggage like americans so its okay" and "minorities over here just know how to take a joke."

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah see that excuse goes out the window when Germany's problems with racism also largely stem from the mockery and dehumanization of black people. Just because a bunch of white guys say "it's not as offensive over here" doesn't make it true.

Unless I'm missing something there's nothing mocking or dehumanizing about that particular cosplay. You need to mentally separate idiots wearing shoe polish to yell about watermelon and those just trying to resemble and inhabit a character as much as possible. That's a good enough makeup job that if she wanders too far from the con she's likely to learn about racism first hand.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ooh haven't heard that one before! "Such a good job at blackface she could actually be mistaken for black."

No Dr. MonkeyThunder. I'm sorry. The makeup is not that good. She looks like a distaff version of C. Thomas Howell from Soul Man.

Look in all honesty we are approaching the day when black people as a culture are going to have to "get over" blackface, but it's still not for like 10-20 years so y'all need to stop jumping the gun and given how many racist "theme" parties I've seen on Facebook dumb white kids are setting that clock further and further back all the time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Unless I'm missing something there's nothing mocking or dehumanizing about that particular cosplay. You need to mentally separate idiots wearing shoe polish to yell about watermelon and those just trying to resemble and inhabit a character as much as possible. That's a good enough makeup job that if she wanders too far from the con she's likely to learn about racism first hand.

Look, this is gonna get abstract and preachy and self-righteous REAL fast and I'm probably gonna get some details stupidly wrong, but that's kinda my wheelhouse so here goes:

There just aren't that many black characters available to be cosplayed, especially in more popular nerd media. That's a major, long-established problem of representation that content-creators are only just beginning to grasp and improve upon.

In contrast, basically EVERY INTERSECTION OF CHARACTER ARCHETYPE, BODY TYPE, AND SOURCE MEDIUM already has at least one relatively-recognizable white "representative" out there. White people are by NO MEANS at a loss for characters to cosplay.

(Not to mention, when "PoC" cosplay "white" characters, they are often the targets of racist attacks, or of "stealing" characters.)

When white people DARKEN THEIR SKIN, they're... not STEALING, exactly, but "appropriating" one of the very few advantages black, asian, middle-eastern, etc. cosplayers, have, that being special access to a small but valuable range of characters that can represent them.

It's just really fuckin' rude and unnecessary, is what I'm saying. Let black women cosplay as Storm and Martha Jones and let Pacific Islanders and other folks from the same "cited" cultures keep Katara. Or hell, if a character really speaks to you, go for it, but don't fuckin' paint your skin brown like a jerk, just let the dissonance speak for itself. White kids aren't exactly lacking for cosplay options.

DoctorWhat has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
gently caress you. People can cosplay as whatever they think is fun and you can shove your anime appropriation bullshit up your arse

Serious - what the gently caress dude

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's absolutely right and if you didn't know that deep down on some level you wouldn't have reacted like such a big loving baby.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Great first post in the cosplay thread - jump into a discussion of literal loving blackface with "anime appropriation bullshit". :downsbravo:

(Did you miss the part where he literally said "if a character really speaks to you, go for it, but don't fuckin' paint your skin brown like a jerk"?

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
Sure! side with someone endorsing domestic violence via costume

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wax Dynasty posted:

The person that did this was German, and American norms about race are not universal.

I understand your point but you should have probably said that norms about blackface are not universal.

In europe, blackface is offensive if the point is to mock or caricature. If it's not, it's just makeup.

Take this movie for example. A racist white woman suddenly looks black because of who knows what. Ensues a bad movie about the stigma associated to being black.

http://youtu.be/ELE5Ponp3GA

I'm pretty sure such a movie would cause an outrage in the US, just because of blackface, regardless of the message.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Oct 17, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

I was at NYCC. Got some pictures to share. Some of these are better quality than others:

"Beariel", according to the sign

I didn't know they allowed dogs into the convention center.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

I just have to say that if you are offended by blackface then you should also be offended when a person dresses as, for example, mishon (sp) they wear a dread lock wig. They both aren't natural to your genetics. I have no problem when a person tries to make them self resemble a character out of respect. The reason old style blackface is offensive is because it was done in a form of mockery. By continuing to take offense to things that don't deserve it you perpetuate that negative connotation. What happened in America is wrong, but eventually we have to move on and realize what is actually racist.

If you see someone dancing around with big lips and a watermelon feel free to punch them in the face. But don't hate on people trying to represent their idol. Or at least understand that just because some people did something very wrong doesn't mean everyone else is also wrong.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I just have to say that if you are offended by blackface then you should also be offended when a person dresses as, for example, mishon (sp) they wear a dread lock wig. They both aren't natural to your genetics. I have no problem when a person tries to make them self resemble a character out of respect. The reason old style blackface is offensive is because it was done in a form of mockery. By continuing to take offense to things that don't deserve it you perpetuate that negative connotation. What happened in America is wrong, but eventually we have to move on and realize what is actually racist.

If you see someone dancing around with big lips and a watermelon feel free to punch them in the face. But don't hate on people trying to represent their idol. Or at least understand that just because some people did something very wrong doesn't mean everyone else is also wrong.

Unironically

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus christ, you nerds. Stop defending people for stupidly doing things, deliberately or not, that have a history steeped in racism. It doesn't matter whether you personally want it to be inoffensive. It's still going to be really loving offensive. This isn't rocket science :wtc:

At least try actually posting cosplay pictures if you're going to continue to insist on arguing the most asinine things in this thread.

e: gently caress you

Tollymain has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Oct 17, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
That guy deserves a punch because he's a caricature.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

really i just wanna know why whenever you tell a white guy why they shouldn't do a thing they write an essay about why they should totally be allowed to do that thing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because for a long time white guys got away with pretty much whatever bullshit they pleased and they often either a) haven't figured out or b) really hate that the world doesn't work like that anymore, basically.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

But :911: Americans ruin everything because they're imperialist pig-dogs :911:

This, but unironically.

The more important question is if she's a bigger shitlord than all the misogynistic Dr. Who cosplayers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

According to this thread's logic, this girl wants to kill herself. :spergin:

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah see that excuse goes out the window when Germany's problems with racism also largely stem from the mockery and dehumanization of black people. Just because a bunch of white guys say "it's not as offensive over here" doesn't make it true.

To be fair, Germany has never historically had problems with racism. One might say they've really mastered race.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Holy poo poo, these are awesome.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:golfclap:

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I've got a list of European-approved defenses here if yall need them, such as "we don't have all that slavery baggage like americans so its okay" and "minorities over here just know how to take a joke."

Oh god every year living in the Netherlands hahahaha

The excuses for this thing where they've tied effigies of Black Piet to lampposts (lynched Pieten) are hilarious and terrible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If she has done the white version of her but reimagined as a soccer mom (keep the vest and sword though)with two buisnessmen zombies( zombie bank-ers) on leashes instead everyone most likely would have liked it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LingcodKilla posted:

If she has done the white version of her but reimagined as a soccer mom (keep the vest and sword though)with two buisnessmen zombies( zombie bank-ers) on leashes instead everyone most likely would have liked it.

I'm pretty sure that pasty kid said white people aren't allowed to dress up like black characters, period.

edit: forgot to include an image

"Allow me to lecture you on the plight of America's black cosplayers."
\

Irish Joe has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Oct 17, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
All complaints I've read about cosplaying a black character being offensive if you are white were from white SJW tumblrites like this dude

http://pilesofdeadhipsters.wordpress.com/about/

I find this quite ironic. Maybe he's transblack.

edit: is cosplaying Japanese characters OK ? :ohdear:

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Oct 17, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
OK, seriously, if you want to cosplay a black character, go for it. You put in effort, it'll look pretty drat cool regardless of how pasty white you are. But how hard is it to...not do blackface?

Like, I don't even think "don't cosplay outside your skin tone" is true at all. Cosplay whoever the gently caress you want. If you want to shave your head, put on an eyepatch and trenchcoat, and go as White Nick Fury, I'm personally going to think that's fine, I'm not going to call it appropriation (which is totally a thing, but I don't think it really applies to cosplay)

But loving seriously, there is literally never a situation where blackface even approaches being appropriate.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Tollymain posted:

Because for a long time white guys got away with pretty much whatever bullshit they pleased and they often either a) haven't figured out or b) really hate that the world doesn't work like that anymore, basically.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Okay, I've got a very important question, thread. Can I, a white person, cosplay as Papa Lazarou?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2F4ZWTjwTU
I'm sure you can come up with something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Something tells me you don't want to know if you can or can't cosplay as Papa Lazarou at all Paladinus!

Now why on earth would that be...

Winner #12 of the 2k14 #Gamergate poo poo Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).

Oh yeah.

Really though if you want to go ahead, just be prepared for loads of people to not get the joke and not want to listen to "you don't understand it's a really funny obscure British comedy show character from 2002 that has nothing to do with blackface even though the pattern looks very very similar to blackface." I mean there's free and then there's smart, you dig?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rogue 7 posted:

OK, seriously, if you want to cosplay a black character, go for it. You put in effort, it'll look pretty drat cool regardless of how pasty white you are. But how hard is it to...not do blackface?

Like, I don't even think "don't cosplay outside your skin tone" is true at all. Cosplay whoever the gently caress you want. If you want to shave your head, put on an eyepatch and trenchcoat, and go as White Nick Fury, I'm personally going to think that's fine, I'm not going to call it appropriation (which is totally a thing, but I don't think it really applies to cosplay)

But loving seriously, there is literally never a situation where blackface even approaches being appropriate.

I actually like this a lot because it's spot on, but you do know that White Nick Fury was a thing long before Black Nick Fury right? The character has been white and around since WWII comics when he led the "Howling Commandos."

They changed it up in 2001 for "The Ultimates" which was a very very thinly veiled "make a Jerry Bruckheimer-style Avengers movie Hollywood here's how it could look!" comic, and specifically got the rights to use Sam Jackson's likeness on the condition that he could play Nick Fury in any future movies.

Long story short most of what comprised The Ultimates was abandoned by the time Marvel started to make their own movies barring a few aesthetic choices (Cap's WWII outfit, Hawkeye's outfit) but Jackson as Nick Fury was a locked deal (and a great choice).

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mind the walrus posted:

Something tells me you don't want to know if you can or can't cosplay as Papa Lazarou at all Paladinus!

Now why on earth would that be...

Winner #12 of the 2k14 #Gamergate poo poo Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).

Oh yeah.

Really though if you want to go ahead, just be prepared for loads of people to not get the joke and not want to listen to "you don't understand it's a really funny obscure British comedy show character from 2002 that has nothing to do with blackface even though the pattern looks very very similar to blackface." I mean there's free and then there's smart, you dig?

Hell, my new av pays off in spades already.

I wouldn't really try to cosplay as Papa Lazarou, no. Precisely because his design looks like blackface, unlike that cosplay of Michonne, which is a somewhat professionally done makeup that doesn't accentuate any stereotypical features of black people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Look I'll be the first to admit that yes it's a bit bullshit that black people still get their knickers in a twist about white people putting makeup on to simply look black in 2014, but is it really such a big cornerstone of freedom that you have to fight for your right to do it when a historically oppressed and mocked group of people ask you not to do it out of respect for them? I mean jesus tittyfucking christ why is it such a big deal that you have the right to do it without fear of reprisal? You don't know what seeing blackface makes another human being feel, or what it reminds them of, even if you do it with the most benign and respectful intentions possible. So just don't do it. I mean really what do you think you're losing so badly by conceding this one cultural arena to the dreaded PC police?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tollymain posted:

Oh yeah. That.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

or what it reminds them of

No? Its been nearly a hundred years since blackface was part of mainstream culture. I sincerely doubt Jerome down the street curls into a little ball and sobs to himself for hours every time some white gal smeared brown makeup on her face for Comic-con.

• Locked thread