Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Spermy Smurf posted:

So I have a question. I'm going to be renovating a house and buying an assload of construction stuff. $12,000 in cabinets/countertops, sheetrock, paint, wood flooring, carpet, lights, insulation... Is getting a card with some kind of cash back a dumb idea for this basically one-time expense? We will be paying off the card with cash immediately, just trying to get some cash back or miles or something.

It's not necessarily a terrible idea, as long as you rock-solid stick to your intention to pay it off with cash immediately. Just don't get too optimistic - at a pretty-good case scenario with $12,000 in spending at 2% cashback you're looking at $240. As someone else said, better to get a card with a great bonus but a high minimum spending requirement at sign up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Spermy Smurf posted:

So I have a question. I'm going to be renovating a house and buying an assload of construction stuff. $12,000 in cabinets/countertops, sheetrock, paint, wood flooring, carpet, lights, insulation... Is getting a card with some kind of cash back a dumb idea for this basically one-time expense? We will be paying off the card with cash immediately, just trying to get some cash back or miles or something.

A no-fee card will probably get you 1% on that, so if you like having $120, you may as well do it.

That said, you might be able to get a store credit card that gives you a long interest free payment period and drop that 12-thousand into a fixed rate deposit somewhere with a return higher than that. In Canada it looks like you could get a GIC for a year at 1.55% which gets you an extra 66 bucks.

You could certainly find a better return but those would be riskier and I wouldn't want anything with risk associated with it just in case something bad happens and the whole amount isn't available to repay the full balance at the end. Some sketchy math leads me to believe that you could end up with more than three grand in interest to fork over if you didn't pay the balance if full within the year.

On the upside, you'd have a shining example of a bad with money story to share with the thread if you went the route of a risky investment that ended with you owing thousands in interest.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

asur posted:

Find cards with sign up bonuses that require you to spend X. Even if you don't get rewards, you do on most of them, the sign up bonus will drastically exceed the money/miles you'd get from buying everything on a single card.

I didn't know these existed. Time to go to the Credit Card thread, thanks!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yes, most fee cards give the best rewards AND offer the first year free, so it's a simple matter of grabbing the bonsues and cancelling the card before the fee hits.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Yes, most fee cards give the best rewards AND offer the first year free, so it's a simple matter of grabbing the bonsues and cancelling the card before the fee hits.

Do you need to worry about a ding to your credit score doing this?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

.Z. posted:

Do you need to worry about a ding to your credit score doing this?

It's pretty minor and temporary, the people who do the credit card churning typically wait 3 months between applications. I did it earlier this year for an American Airlines/Citi card (netted 30k miles for spending a grand or so the first 3 months) and my credit score is doing just fine. Probably gonna do something similar for paying my international student tuition next year -- the better cards don't have foreign transaction fees, and my university-to-be rather gamely doesn't charge anything for payments made by credit card :getin:

Personally I'd recommend checking out the credit card thread here or even some of the specific forums/sites out there for it.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It'll take a couple points off for a few months. Don't do it immediately before buying a house, but otherwise, it's completely insignificant.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
When I signed up for the Chase United Explorer card earlier this year, by the time the hard check had hit my credit score, the increased number of accounts and increased available credit had actually raised my score immediately.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Krispy Kareem posted:

Expenses?

I sometimes wonder if everyone here is splitting rent on a single-wide and eating mini-ravioli's they found while dumpster diving.
Most retirees own their homes and hopefully aren't buying new cars. Especially since she's poor, yeah it would be impressively dumb for her to drop $4200/mo on food, travel, standard bills (utilities/insurance/etc.), and shopping.

Krispy Kareem posted:

She has mooching children (myself included - although I at least pay her back). So that may impact her finances.
"may" :lol: Keep looking down on other people while you take mommy's money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Most retirees own their homes and hopefully aren't buying new cars. Especially since she's poor, yeah it would be impressively dumb for her to drop $4200/mo on food, travel, standard bills (utilities/insurance/etc.), and shopping.

I spent about $4200 month including food, travel and mortgage payments and I live in New Zealand which is rather expensive to live in these days. A large portion of her expenditure is probably on the moochers.

One of the guys in my office still has his kids living with him and he's rapidly heading towards retirement. He'll probably be working well past retirement as he's got a lot of debt and not much in the way of investments. It concerns me to see those close to retirement or at retirement with their kids still living with them.

I don't really understand wanting to live with your parents past about 19 or 20 anyway. You can't live life nearly as much as studying/working/partying and having no money at the same time.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Anne Whateley posted:

:smug: My, aren't you arrogant. You seem to have no problem looking down on him when you know next to nothing about his situation besides one internet post.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

I don't really understand wanting to live with your parents past about 19 or 20 anyway. You can't live life nearly as much as studying/working/partying and having no money at the same time.
It's not about wanting, usually.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's not about wanting, usually.

Yep! I'd rather not move back in with my parents, but after watching my older roommates' money problems, I think the best choice would be to take six months to pay down debt and build up some savings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Devian666 posted:

I spent about $4200 month including food, travel and mortgage payments and I live in New Zealand which is rather expensive to live in these days.
Well yeah, you're using a completely different currency. They're both called dollars, but what you're spending/getting isn't close to what you'd be spending/getting in the US.

Dirk Diggler posted:

:smug: My, aren't you arrogant. You seem to have no problem looking down on him when you know next to nothing about his situation besides one internet post.
Here are all his posts in the thread, knock yourself out. I'm not going to brag, but I'm not exactly in a trailer and I'm definitely not jealous of his whole situation.

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Anne Whateley posted:

Here are all his posts in the thread, knock yourself out. I'm not going to brag, but I'm not exactly in a trailer and I'm definitely not jealous of his whole situation.

Ehhh, all I saw there was that he has in-laws that are terrible with money and a wife who cripples their finances to try to help her family, misguided as that may be. If he borrowed money from his own mom and she was willing to do so, not put in financial distress from doing so, and getting paid back from him, I don't really see an issue with that. Puts him way ahead of his in-laws.

So I guess congrats on not having crazy in-laws that make money disappear faster than throwing it into a fire? :shrug:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Well yeah, you're using a completely different currency. They're both called dollars, but what you're spending/getting isn't close to what you'd be spending/getting in the US.

I did some quick math to put it in USD. I try to make things easy. You are correct though I could earn more in the US and pay significantly less in expenses.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I had tenants move out for non-payment of rent. The garage was full of rent-to-own furniture they couldn't fit into the 3 bedroom unit. Shoes! They had a ton of shoes they just left, so I assume they took quite a few as well. I started piling the shoe boxes onto a dresser, then got bored with it. Some of these are empty, but some are not. Brand name expensive sneakers ($100+), a couple of high end dress shoe brands, Steve Madden, etc.

This is a common theme I find. I deal with a lot of low-income housing, and invariably, the people who can't pay rent always spend $1000+ a year on sneakers.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Hey man, maybe their frivolous spending isn't the problem, it's the absurdly high rent you charge them.

:cheeky:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

particle409 posted:

This is a common theme I find. I deal with a lot of low-income housing, and invariably, the people who can't pay rent always spend $1000+ a year on sneakers.

Apparently you can make a lot of money re-selling sneakers. This is probably not a good justification for spending $1,000/year on shoes when you can't afford rent, though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

lavaca posted:

Apparently you can make a lot of money re-selling sneakers. This is probably not a good justification for spending $1,000/year on shoes when you can't afford rent, though.

If tenants leave anything, will it be his to sell and recoup any losses?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

lavaca posted:

CNBC had a great look at Nike, including interviews of some sneakerheads.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

particle409 posted:

I had tenants move out for non-payment of rent. The garage was full of rent-to-own furniture they couldn't fit into the 3 bedroom unit. Shoes! They had a ton of shoes they just left, so I assume they took quite a few as well. I started piling the shoe boxes onto a dresser, then got bored with it. Some of these are empty, but some are not. Brand name expensive sneakers ($100+), a couple of high end dress shoe brands, Steve Madden, etc.

I kicked out a housemate for the same reason and he also had about 20 pairs of shoes that he left behind, in addition to a bunch of other stuff (queen size bed, some nice shirts with price tags still on them that I now wear). I think you might be onto something.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Keetron posted:

If tenants leave anything, will it be his to sell and recoup any losses?

Probably not without some amount of legal process to determine abandonment. My friend's family rents out storage units, and they have to send all kinds of certified letters and notices of overdue payment for X amount of time, and only after they've gone unanswered and unresolved (i.e. no legal dispute opened over money owed) can they cut the locks and auction off the contents as a means of recovering what is owed.

Otherwise the renter could come back and have them arrested or sued for theft of property, breaking and entering, selling stolen items, etc.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SKELETONS posted:

I kicked out a housemate for the same reason and he also had about 20 pairs of shoes that he left behind, in addition to a bunch of other stuff (queen size bed, some nice shirts with price tags still on them that I now wear). I think you might be onto something.

Did you give him a chance to get his stuff moved out? Otherwise you're a thief, even if he didn't pay rent.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

Did you give him a chance to get his stuff moved out? Otherwise you're a thief, even if he didn't pay rent.

Oh yeah, actually he chose to move out after I got a call from our landlord and I confronted him about it, he'd been lying about paying for 5 months. He had plenty of opportunity to take it all, he was just too lazy/stupid to take his potentially valuable stuff, despite the fact that he owed rent and also money to other people about town, judging by the threatening phone calls I heard him receive.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Probably not without some amount of legal process to determine abandonment. My friend's family rents out storage units, and they have to send all kinds of certified letters and notices of overdue payment for X amount of time, and only after they've gone unanswered and unresolved (i.e. no legal dispute opened over money owed) can they cut the locks and auction off the contents as a means of recovering what is owed.

Otherwise the renter could come back and have them arrested or sued for theft of property, breaking and entering, selling stolen items, etc.

There's different statutes and law for tenants, since it's in a dwelling and all that. I assume the op is already familiar with those rules, but if not he'd be smart to consult a lawyer.

In some places it can be as simple as waiting thirty days.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

There's different statutes and law for tenants, since it's in a dwelling and all that. I assume the op is already familiar with those rules, but if not he'd be smart to consult a lawyer.

In some places it can be as simple as waiting thirty days.

Absolutely there would be differences, you're right. My point was that a "finders keepers" attitude is definitely not the way to go about it, and something I've definitely seen people do to roommates' stuff who just up and left one day.

Similarly, I always wonder how people sent to prison manage to keep things in order when they can't be around to look after everything. Having family you trust is the most valuable thing in the world, and certainly something a lot of comfortable people otherwise take for granted.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The people who skip rent and leave behind shoes probably don't have their poo poo together enough to open a case in small claims court. They are, after all, bad with money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Probably not, but there's no point in getting into legal trouble for theft if you can avoid it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

I just bought a house with my best friend. I will be placing him on the deed as half owner. However, I am the only one on the loan, being solely responsible for paying the debt back. How do I write a personal contract between my friend and I?

The purpose of the contract would be to protect myself in case any unforeseen circumstance may come up involving my friend taking off, leaving myself the only one paying back the mortgage which I cannot afford on my own.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

edit: I've lived with the friend in question for 3 years in an apartment so I know we have a compatible lifestyle. Hardly any issues occurred during that time. We've been best friends for nearly 12 years

link: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2jo9h8/i_just_bought_a_house_with_my_best_friend_i_will/

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

At least most of the comments are sensible in (politely) telling him that he's a complete dumbass.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
You know, right now, it's me and my girlfriend that are bad with money. We're moving across the country (Atlanta to Seattle) in a week and I've completely shattered my restaurant budget. For me and my girlfriend, we've eaten out almost every day this week because we've eaten all the food we had in the house (or given away to friends what we couldn't make) and don't want to make a grocery run for five days worth of food. I feel awful for "falling off the bandwagon" since I've been very diligent about getting debt paid off (I've paid off almost $4,000 in debt in the past six months after buying You Need A Budget and doing it properly and I'm nearly debt free except for my car payment) and now I'm wasting money on restaurants and fast food instead of buying groceries. Does the impending 3000 mile move alleviate this somewhat since we're packing up all the cookware and everything else? I feel super guilty.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

HonorableTB posted:

You know, right now, it's me and my girlfriend that are bad with money. We're moving across the country (Atlanta to Seattle) in a week and I've completely shattered my restaurant budget. For me and my girlfriend, we've eaten out almost every day this week because we've eaten all the food we had in the house (or given away to friends what we couldn't make) and don't want to make a grocery run for five days worth of food. I feel awful for "falling off the bandwagon" since I've been very diligent about getting debt paid off (I've paid off almost $4,000 in debt in the past six months after buying You Need A Budget and doing it properly and I'm nearly debt free except for my car payment) and now I'm wasting money on restaurants and fast food instead of buying groceries. Does the impending 3000 mile move alleviate this somewhat since we're packing up all the cookware and everything else? I feel super guilty.

Those aforementioned friends that you've given the food to - have you considered offering to cook them (and yourselves) dinner? That way you get to do something nice for your friends (and get to hang out with them one last time) without all the expense of eating out.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Eating out all the time has done wonders for calibrating my taste buds. Consider it cheap lessons in cooking...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2joxlx/us_got_a_new_job_i_feel_i_am_overpaying_in_taxes/

quote:

Let's say I make 42.5K before taxes. My first paycheck was 1266, after paying 397 in taxes.... not cool. I feel like almost 24% of my paycheck going to taxes is insane (191 for federal by the way). I put 1 allowance on my W4 for federal and 0 for my state. Should I change that?
1) Am I overpaying? I looked up the tax brackets but I don't think I understand it well.
2) Should I change my allowance?
3) Any other advice you guys have? My parent's house is getting foreclosed and they are in a heated divorce because he is abusive etc so I need all the money I can get to help my mom and move out. Thanks!

Welcome to adulthood.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I like that most of the responses are telling him that's correct. It's as if he believed that all of the money from his pay would be his.

Of course I'd like to only pay 24% tax. That'd be great.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Devian666 posted:

I like that most of the responses are telling him that's correct. It's as if he believed that all of the money from his pay would be his.

Of course I'd like to only pay 24% tax. That'd be great.

A nice thing would be listing off every service he gets for those taxes he pays and an estimate of how much they would cost to provide in a lack of that tax revenue being used.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Apparently New Zealand is a wealthy nation however it's all in home equity and most of the gains are due to a high exchange value relative to the American Peso. $50b NZD in investments and $775b in property. The traditional New Zealand retirement savings are in rental properties which heavily contributes to high house prices.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/10631780/NZ-wealthy-but-its-locked-up-in-housing

Although I'm no better as the vast majority of my assets are home equity. Only a tiny portion is invested in P2P lending. What's worse is I'm just starting off my retirement funds. I'm bad with money but according to the Credit Suisse report on wealth distribution I am a part of the 8%.

In addition I had a look at the market on the local P2P lending site and of the 9 loans listed they have grades from D to F. One for "unexpected bills" in the thousands, a holiday, wedding, unspecified reasons, one to buy a non-lovely car that doesn't break down all the time and four debt consolidations. So 5 loans seem sensible. The rest including the holiday you haven't saved for and the large wedding borrowing with a credit rating around E2 seem stupid.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 20, 2014

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Shipon posted:

A nice thing would be listing off every service he gets for those taxes he pays and an estimate of how much they would cost to provide in a lack of that tax revenue being used.

This is my favorite take on this topic: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/06/16/mr-frugal-toque-on-why-tax-freedom-day-is-bullshit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

fruition posted:

Hey man, maybe their frivolous spending isn't the problem, it's the absurdly high rent you charge them.

:cheeky:

You joke, but he was getting a good bargain. $1400 a month for 3 bedrooms and a garage, which is an excellent rate in my area. I know where he moved, and he told me how much he's paying. $1500 for a 3 bedroom in a worse neighborhood, no garage parking. There was a shitload of auto care stuff in the garage, and he drove a nice Jeep, one of the new fancy ones. I hope he enjoys parking it on the street in a lovely neighborhood...

• Locked thread