Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thoughtless posted:

I'm playing through Skyrim including the DLC. You know what this game has too much of? Collection quests.

Collect a ton of red nirnroot, collect 10 tiny pages in the most boring zone ever, collect 10 dwemer gears, collect 24 special gems, I'm sure there's more. None of these quests have markers and the gems especially are one of those things I really don't see anyone finding without a walkthrough. It's also not fun whatsoever but unless you do the quest it sits in your log forever.

I had to learn to get over my obsessive behavior when it comes to clearing game quest logs when I played Skyrim. The radiant quest system just made it impossible to either clear at all or keep clear for any real length of time, and I played it on console so no mods granting the ability to delete quests for me (if such a thing even exists).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

owl_pellet posted:

I had to learn to get over my obsessive behavior when it comes to clearing game quest logs when I played Skyrim. The radiant quest system just made it impossible to either clear at all or keep clear for any real length of time, and I played it on console so no mods granting the ability to delete quests for me (if such a thing even exists).

Kingdoms of Amalur is a loving nightmare if you're really completionist about your quest log. First there's just a ton of menial poo poo to do and a lot of the minor collection quests never actually have an end.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Who What Now posted:

If you want you can also shoot a guy a couple times, but I hope you like reloading them pistols!

If you max out your pistol holder you can shoot 7 times or something ridiculous without needing to reload. Made ship battles a lot easier when you could clear out a bunch of mooks quickly in the early going.

I shouldn't post about AssCreed4 in this thread though, I loved it to bits having played Sid Meier's Pirates to death as a kid :3:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Captain Lavender posted:

(Re: SoM)
It's wrong. The combat is a carbon-copy of the Arkham games. Just easier. The only thing woefully missing is the grappling hook.

Who needs a grappling hook when you can Shadow Strike your way across the entire map?

The game is tons of fun. You feel like a loving god of combat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiggum posted:

The day/night cycle in Skyrim. It's neat how the NPCs will be at work during the day and sleep at night and I see how that allows for interesting stuff like the player being a vampire and having to feed on people as they sleep, or I guess sneaking into people's houses and shops at night to steal stuff or whatever. But on the other hand, it's really annoying when I'm doing some alchemy in the potion shop and in the middle of it the owner starts telling me I have to leave. Or when I just want to use a particular shop but it's night.
And now I've encountered the worst example of this. I was a vampire, and it was pretty irritating, so I went to get cured. Finding the quest was easy enough, it seems like it's set up to just have someone tell you about it at the earliest opportunity after you become a vampire, so I found the dude and got a black soul gem from him, went and filled it, then came back. But it was night and he was in his house. So I used the "wait" function to get to morning, then hung around for a few minutes but he didn't come out.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so using the "wait" function to skip forward an hour then sitting there hoping he'd come out of his house, but he never did. I looked for a solution on the internet and found a site that said he usually comes outside at 3am. So I used the wait function to get to 2:30, then sat there while the in-game time went all the way to 4am. Nothing. He still won't come out.

So I found a console command to teleport him to me, which solved that problem, and he tells me to meet him somewhere at dawn. I knew that the sun started burning me at 5am, so I went to the place and waited for 5am. He doesn't show up. Apparently when he said "dawn" he meant 7am, because at that time I saw him approaching, but he got attacked by a mudcrab and was stuck in the swamp.

So I killed the mudcrab and he got up, but wasn't moving any more. I managed to unstick him by talking to him, but since he wasn't quite at the right place yet the option to do the cure wasn't available, so I went back over to the circle. He started to follow but just stopped for no apparent reason and just stood a little way off, so I had to use the console again to teleport him the last two meters so he'd actually do what he was supposed to. :argh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

And now I've encountered the worst example of this. I was a vampire, and it was pretty irritating, so I went to get cured. Finding the quest was easy enough, it seems like it's set up to just have someone tell you about it at the earliest opportunity after you become a vampire, so I found the dude and got a black soul gem from him, went and filled it, then came back. But it was night and he was in his house. So I used the "wait" function to get to morning, then hung around for a few minutes but he didn't come out.

I spent the next twenty minutes or so using the "wait" function to skip forward an hour then sitting there hoping he'd come out of his house, but he never did. I looked for a solution on the internet and found a site that said he usually comes outside at 3am. So I used the wait function to get to 2:30, then sat there while the in-game time went all the way to 4am. Nothing. He still won't come out.

So I found a console command to teleport him to me, which solved that problem, and he tells me to meet him somewhere at dawn. I knew that the sun started burning me at 5am, so I went to the place and waited for 5am. He doesn't show up. Apparently when he said "dawn" he meant 7am, because at that time I saw him approaching, but he got attacked by a mudcrab and was stuck in the swamp.

So I killed the mudcrab and he got up, but wasn't moving any more. I managed to unstick him by talking to him, but since he wasn't quite at the right place yet the option to do the cure wasn't available, so I went back over to the circle. He started to follow but just stopped for no apparent reason and just stood a little way off, so I had to use the console again to teleport him the last two meters so he'd actually do what he was supposed to. :argh:

At that point I feel like just removing the vamp sickness via console commands would have been easier. (assuming you could).

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs) resurrecting NPCs (who love dying in vampire or dragon attacks), teleporting NPCs to you (some quest NPCs get stuck due to bugs, Shadowmere wanders off) and so on.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Thoughtless posted:

A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs) resurrecting NPCs (who love dying in vampire or dragon attacks), teleporting NPCs to you (some quest NPCs get stuck due to bugs, Shadowmere wanders off) and so on.

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rick_Hunter posted:

Wow, reading all of this about Skyrim makes me glad I never opened it when I got 2 years ago. :v:

As much as people may complain about the game personally I've lost 300+ hours into it and go back roughly once a year to play it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyrim is a fun but deeply flawed game. At its core, it's a really great world to explore and wander around and there is a ton of poo poo to do, even if most of it is banal.

e: I have put in 505 hours into Skyrim since I got it on release day.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's arguably the best game Bethesda has ever made despite all its glaring faults, you're missing out.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Skyrim is a fun but deeply flawed game. At its core, it's a really great world to explore and wander around and there is a ton of poo poo to do, even if most of it is banal.

The game is so massive I'm surprised it's not even more buggy that it is. If you just roam the wilds randomly you'll find poo poo that 99% of the populace would never find.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Skyrim is one of those awesome games where its worst detractors go "After 150 hours in this game is terrible because..."

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

If Skyrim were a lake, it'd be miles across and an inch deep.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Suitaru posted:

If Skyrim were a lake, it'd be miles across and an inch deep.

And yet you'd still want to see of there were some notable islands in it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kimmalah posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur is a loving nightmare if you're really completionist about your quest log. First there's just a ton of menial poo poo to do and a lot of the minor collection quests never actually have an end.

KoA is at least nice enough to categorize the pointless, repeatable fetch quests in their own section of the quest log.

Though from how people talk, apparently every quest in that game counts as a fetch quest.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Skyrim is one of those awesome games where its worst detractors go "After 150 hours in this game is terrible because..."

This is me, I spent 70 hours on it and I don't like it. I kept thinking 'I'm sure some of the later quests will have more depth', 'I'm sure combat will be more fun when I level up a few more times'.

I think the crafting system was the only thing that held my interest and when I crafted all the best stuff, I stopped playing. I think I persevered because I liked Oblivion but gaming has moved on since than I expect a bit more from open-world RPGs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've always liked how on these forums it seems like the only way to have fun with Skyrim is with mods.

"It's a great game, after you install 20 or so mods that change how everything works."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

I've always liked how on these forums it seems like the only way to have fun with Skyrim is with mods.

"It's a great game, after you install 20 or so mods that change how everything works."

That's more the PC gamers justifying their $1500 fun machines like always.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I love Skyrim, it's just that it has a lot of things dragging it down and you need to use the console or mods a fair bit for the best experience.

For example, leveled loot. This means you can't proceed through the game naturally unless you want to be stuck with a legendary sword that barely hits for more than a wooden stick. It's easily fixed by console or mods though. The leveling system is a pain too, because the scaling only stops at level 60, and it's almost impossible to get there naturally, i.e. without grinding your skills. It's another easy fix.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Walton Simons posted:

This is me, I spent 70 hours on it and I don't like it. I kept thinking 'I'm sure some of the later quests will have more depth', 'I'm sure combat will be more fun when I level up a few more times'.

At what point do you finally say you've wasted enough free time on something you don't enjoy?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I dunno, I don't think Skyrim quite matched the amount of "ugh this is the worst game series that I am posting about daily while replaying the others in anticipation of" that Mass Effect had.

That thread was weird.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thoughtless posted:

I love Skyrim, it's just that it has a lot of things dragging it down and you need to use the console or mods a fair bit for the best experience.

For example, leveled loot. This means you can't proceed through the game naturally unless you want to be stuck with a legendary sword that barely hits for more than a wooden stick. It's easily fixed by console or mods though. The leveling system is a pain too, because the scaling only stops at level 60, and it's almost impossible to get there naturally, i.e. without grinding your skills. It's another easy fix.

See? Very next post details how you need to mod it to make it fun.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It's always funny to mention that I had a lot of fun with Skyrim bone stock.

On PC.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thoughtless posted:

A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs)
I've pretty much just been ignoring that anyway. My skills go up, presumably I get better at stuff. Sometimes I get to increase my health, mana or stamina and pick a bonus thing. Mostly it doesn't make much difference as far as I can tell.

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's irritating when stuff isn't working right, but most of the time it's pretty fun. And the stuff that breaks tends to be fixable as long as you don't have a pathological aversion to doing anything that might technically count as cheating, like resurrecting essential NPCs or teleporting them to you rather than just abandoning quests that aren't working right.

Len posted:

I'd heard that and had been putting off playing it because I thought it was going to be such a hassle, but then I realised that if I kept thinking that I was never going to actually play it, so I just started without any. I'm not sure what I'm missing out on, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All I know is that in Skyrim I crafted two world-ending Obsidian Swords for my rogue character, one with a permanent fire enchantment and the other with an ice enchantment, so they always glowed red and blue. I named them Grace and Glory.

I was on a Bayonetta kick at the time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Len posted:

I just want to play Skyrim with big titty lizards just as nature intended.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The main thing that really dragged down Skyrim for me was the dragons. They were just awful to fight.

I remember when the first details of the game were being announced and they started hyping up dragons, my first thought was that they would not work with the combat system in these games, and would have to devolve into taking potshots at them until they politely landed in front of you so that you could hit them with your sword for awhile. I figured they'd have to do something to make them more engaging than that, but that's all they ended up being in the end.

The gates in Oblivion were bad too, but at least you could just ignore those when they popped up while you were roaming the countryside.

Really though, the biggest problem with Skyrim was that it came out after New Vegas, which was a far superior game done in the same style.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hannibal Smith posted:

The main thing that really dragged down Skyrim for me was the dragons. They were just awful to fight.

I remember when the first details of the game were being announced and they started hyping up dragons, my first thought was that they would not work with the combat system in these games, and would have to devolve into taking potshots at them until they politely landed in front of you so that you could hit them with your sword for awhile. I figured they'd have to do something to make them more engaging than that, but that's all they ended up being in the end.

The gates in Oblivion were bad too, but at least you could just ignore those when they popped up while you were roaming the countryside.

Really though, the biggest problem with Skyrim was that it came out after New Vegas, which was a far superior game done in the same style.

I figured they could have saved the dragon system if they varied the types of dragons. Give me a cave/underground worm type dragon or something. Imagine walking around and a giant toothy maw just ruptures from a nearby cave and you're now fighting a 40ft snake type dragon.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Just wait until you can one-shot dragons from 1000 yards. It's a trade-off, you can become super powerful using in-game mechanics(technically not cheating), or you can intentionally handicap yourself to make it more fun/last longer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

All I know is that in Skyrim I crafted two world-ending Obsidian Swords for my rogue character, one with a permanent fire enchantment and the other with an ice enchantment, so they always glowed red and blue. I named them Grace and Glory.

I was on a Bayonetta kick at the time.

I gave two ebony swords Fiery Soul Trap and named them Twin Humanities then named a bunch of other stuff after Dark Souls things.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Skyrim gets the complaints it gets for the same reason you're more angry at a significant other when they mess up than you are by a perfect stranger. There's so much history and expectation built up for Bethesda and Elder Scrolls games that each mistake really sticks in your craw. People I think are angry about Skyrim, not because of the package they got, but because of what they feel was taken away from their ideal product.

If you play 100 hours and walk away feeling lukewarm or even negative about what you just played, I don't think you can really make a great argument that the game didn't at least meet the bar for consumer expectations of an adequate experience for the $20-$60 you spent on it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goddam I got nothing going on ever in my lifethis weekend, gonna play a shitload of Skyrim.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Goddam I got nothing going on ever in my lifethis weekend, gonna play a shitload of Skyrim.

Seriously the more I talk about it the more I want to install it again.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I manage to do the same thing with those games, I roll a character and do every single thing except for the main quest. At that point, I'm so burnt out I just put the game down for 6-8 months, then say "hey I haven't beaten this game in a while!" and start it over.

So basically I do everything EXCEPT beat the game. I did the same most recently with Mass Effect, Fallout:NV, and Skyrim in that order. So my aggregate hours in Skyrim is some crazy number like 700 but I've actually only beaten the main quest once.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I really liked Skyrim, except for the Thieve's Guild who are the shittiest thieves ever.

To contribute, I just picked up The Evil Within and I was a bit disappointed with the graphics, especially the facial movements when people talk. From the way the faces move everyone is mumbling even when they are yelling. Also, there are enemies that only scream, and never stop screaming, which is pretty goddamn annoying after five or ten minutes.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Street Fighter IV's matchmaking system is a piece of trash that matches me with people who have more than one order of magnitude more playtime and score all the time when asking for people of equal skill. And while that might be something to get used to the whole matchmaking online play still has significant lag spikes and freezes after multiple patches designed to fix that issue. It's like Capcom really does not want people to play their game against others over this new internet thing.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Randler posted:

Street Fighter IV's matchmaking system is a piece of trash that matches me with people who have more than one order of magnitude more playtime and score all the time when asking for people of equal skill. And while that might be something to get used to the whole matchmaking online play still has significant lag spikes and freezes after multiple patches designed to fix that issue. It's like Capcom really does not want people to play their game against others over this new internet thing.

I'm quoting this for the matchmaking issue. Another game where this was the specific thing dragging everything down was Super Monday Night Combat. That's a sorta third person shooter/DOTA mixture game that's nowadays pretty much dead, but if you do play it, you can be sure to get matched with people who are roughly level one million with maxed-out everything on their characters. This means you either get carried or you get completely steamrolled, and the game was always like that; it's not because of the tiny number of players online these days.

Multiplayer games should really, really focus more on matchmaking, there's no better way to turn people off than either constantly dying or constantly winning with no effort.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thoughtless posted:

I'm quoting this for the matchmaking issue. Another game where this was the specific thing dragging everything down was Super Monday Night Combat. That's a sorta third person shooter/DOTA mixture game that's nowadays pretty much dead, but if you do play it, you can be sure to get matched with people who are roughly level one million with maxed-out everything on their characters. This means you either get carried or you get completely steamrolled, and the game was always like that; it's not because of the tiny number of players online these days.

Multiplayer games should really, really focus more on matchmaking, there's no better way to turn people off than either constantly dying or constantly winning with no effort.

You know, my friends and I played the crap out of Monday Night Combat, but they changed so much with the sequel.

What really turned me off was just how many hits the players could take. Unlike a pure MOBA, players in this game were nimble enough to just get away. It felt like you'd waste a lot of time fighting, and then they'd just scamper off. Was I way off-base about that? Did that change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SMNC was a very unique game that it brought in the worst pieces of poo poo of both shooters and MOBA's and combined to form one of the worst gaming communities I've ever dealt with. The atrocious matchmaking only exacerbated the issue.

I think my favorite was when one of the matchmaking fixes was something incredibly stupid based on level, region, time played, something like that which ended up creating 36 individual queues and you could rarely find games.