Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
Good god I want one of those Retina iMac's. I've been sitting with a 11inch Air now for years which has served me well. Trying to contain the lust. I wish the Mini still had user expandable RAM. Decisions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Secht posted:

I wish the Mini still had user expandable RAM. Decisions...

Who said it doesn't?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Mac Mini with 2.8ghz i5, 8gb ram and Intel Iris graphics is basically the current gen rMBP 13", correct? I've never consider a Mini before, but I've been stuck with my 11" Air for a while now, and I need more screen estate, so I am looking at all viable options.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Any advice on fixing a Macbook Pro trackpad? The cursor is jumping around, randomly clicking, and creating phantom finger presses. No water exposure that I know of, it seems to work normally briefly if I press on the whole thing firmly. Do I just need to replace it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jack's Flow posted:

The Mac Mini with 2.8ghz i5, 8gb ram and Intel Iris graphics is basically the current gen rMBP 13", correct? I've never consider a Mini before, but I've been stuck with my 11" Air for a while now, and I need more screen estate, so I am looking at all viable options.

Get an external display? Maybe buy a new Air or rMBP to go with it if you want a new computer? A lot of the biggest gains that the newer CPUs have brought to the table have more to do with power efficiency and battery life than with all-out improvements in computing capability.

I'd much rather have a super thin portable with crazy battery life and the ability to be used with or without an external display than a desktop that just crams its innards in a box and barely takes advantage of their perks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Khelmar posted:

Any advice on fixing a Macbook Pro trackpad? The cursor is jumping around, randomly clicking, and creating phantom finger presses. No water exposure that I know of, it seems to work normally briefly if I press on the whole thing firmly. Do I just need to replace it?

Trackpads are on average about $90 to fix at apple.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there any way to downgrade macs to an older version of OSX than they shipped with? The update to Yosemite broke my wife's VPN software for her work, and the IT line's 100% official reply is that they don't support any Macs newer than 10.7. I guess this explains why most of her lab is running Snow Leopard, but I'm not sure where this leaves her with a 2014 Mac that shipped with Mavericks on it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any way to downgrade macs to an older version of OSX than they shipped with? The update to Yosemite broke my wife's VPN software for her work, and the IT line's 100% official reply is that they don't support any Macs newer than 10.7. I guess this explains why most of her lab is running Snow Leopard, but I'm not sure where this leaves her with a 2014 Mac that shipped with Mavericks on it.

Go into Software Update and check the "Purchased" tab. In mine I have OS's going all the way back to Lion.

I'm not sure if it'll downgrade though.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You can buy an OEM trackpad replacement and change it yourself pretty easily.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Twerk from Home posted:

No.

Your wife's IT department obviously sucks (even the newest machines capable or running 10.7 are nearly out of their 3 year warranties iirc) but on the other hand upgrading your computer to a new OS without confirming the software you need to work actually functions isn't a smart move either.

Have you googled/tried things like this: http://techaeris.com/2014/08/31/vpn-not-working-in-os-x-yosemite-beta-try-this-workaround/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm not sure where this leaves her with a 2014 Mac that shipped with Mavericks on it.
Screwed. Old OS X releases won't have drivers for a 2014 Mac, so you can't just install Lion.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get an external display? Maybe buy a new Air or rMBP to go with it if you want a new computer? A lot of the biggest gains that the newer CPUs have brought to the table have more to do with power efficiency and battery life than with all-out improvements in computing capability.

I'd much rather have a super thin portable with crazy battery life and the ability to be used with or without an external display than a desktop that just crams its innards in a box and barely takes advantage of their perks.

Getting an external display is the idea, yeah. But in general I agree with your take on the Mini, that's why I've been using an iMac + Air combo. But the iMac died and so I am looking for a new desktop.

Anyway, I found a deal on the current gen 15" rMBP (mid 2014). It's the entry level model with 2.2ghz i7 and Iris Pro graphics. There's also a deal for the more expensive version with 2.5ghz, 512ssd and Nvidia graphics. Both machines are roughly $400 off. I've read in several reviews that the Iris Pro is well suited for pretty much anything you throw at it, and as I am not much of a gamer, I'm leaning towards that model.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Choadmaster posted:

No.

Your wife's IT department obviously sucks (even the newest machines capable or running 10.7 are nearly out of their 3 year warranties iirc) but on the other hand upgrading your computer to a new OS without confirming the software you need to work actually functions isn't a smart move either.

Have you googled/tried things like this: http://techaeris.com/2014/08/31/vpn-not-working-in-os-x-yosemite-beta-try-this-workaround/

Thanks for the help. They're using some really terrible Java-based VPN client called "Aventail", but we'll look into configuring OSX's native VPN client. You're right that their IT department sucks and really doesn't want people to use Macs, but the majority of her lab uses Macs and she's gotten very used to developing on OSX.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm kinda miffed that my barely two-year old Mac mini can't use the new Handoff features in Yosemite. Yes, it is called a "mid 2011" but it was for sale until October 2012. That's some fast obsolescence for a desktop machine that is otherwise fine.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

I'm kinda miffed that my barely two-year old Mac mini can't use the new Handoff features in Yosemite. Yes, it is called a "mid 2011" but it was for sale until October 2012. That's some fast obsolescence for a desktop machine that is otherwise fine.
It's not "obsolete". It can't perform a minor software feature that utilizes new bluetooth and wifi technologies.

You'll live. I promise.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not "obsolete". It can't perform a minor software feature that utilizes new bluetooth and wifi technologies.

You'll live. I promise.

Fair enough, not obsolete. I do think that is one of the major features of Yosemite though. Also don't get AirDrop to iOS on this machine. So I still have to email files around, like an animal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Twerk from Home posted:

Thanks for the help. They're using some really terrible Java-based VPN client called "Aventail", but we'll look into configuring OSX's native VPN client. You're right that their IT department sucks and really doesn't want people to use Macs, but the majority of her lab uses Macs and she's gotten very used to developing on OSX.

Here's a really lovely workaround suggestion: What about popping a Windows VM on her computer and then running Aventail on that? Is this a stupid idea?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Here's a really lovely workaround suggestion: What about popping a Windows VM on her computer and then running Aventail on that? Is this a stupid idea?

I think Windows apps would see the VPN connection, but not OS X ones.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ComradeCosmobot posted:

There's a reason I ran out to buy one of the previous gen models right after they announced. Yeah, as a server model it means I have 2 of those awful slow behemoths, but that's nothing a little elbow grease and an SSD can't solve. But a dual-core processor isn't exactly one of those things you can replace.

Do you actually run services which need 4 cores? If you're just serving files or running a little web server, dual core ought to be plenty.

(I'd bet this is what killed that mini config off -- almost nobody actually cares about quadcore in a mini. Maybe people who transcode on a media server I guess? But most people who do that are buying a chassis a little bigger than a mini so it can have many terabytes of internal storage.)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've been doing a little bit of research now that my 2010 MBP won't do Continuity because it doesn't have BT 4.0. Did the form-factor of the AirPort card change enough from 2010/2011 to 2012 (not coincidentally the start of Continuity support) to not warrant a straight swap? My machine is perfect for everything I do and I have no need to drop $2k+ on an equivalent modern model. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

So I've been doing a little bit of research now that my 2010 MBP won't do Continuity because it doesn't have BT 4.0. Did the form-factor of the AirPort card change enough from 2010/2011 to 2012 (not coincidentally the start of Continuity support) to not warrant a straight swap? My machine is perfect for everything I do and I have no need to drop $2k+ on an equivalent modern model. :(
Without looking at iFixIt teardowns to confirm, I'm guessing your issue might actually be the number of antennas when trying to upgrade the BT/AirPort module to a newer unit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BT 4.0 is not sufficient for Continuity either. The 2011 models have BT 4.0 but not Continuity.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Twerk from Home posted:

Is it not running because the version of java is wrong, or because it requires a kernel extension that isn't signed? If it's the latter, you can make the system run unsigned kexts by running this in Terminal and then restarting:

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

No. 6 posted:

You can buy an OEM trackpad replacement and change it yourself pretty easily.

I've been looking at that place and that's what I'll do I can't get it working. I was hoping for suggestions on something I could try to fix it instead. Sounds like that might not be an option.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get the built in VPN working if you can. IT departments are poo poo and hate Macs because the process of janitoring them is different.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Looks like some folks have upgraded BT -
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6401528?start=15&tstart=0

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

I've done this myself. I just grabbed a card from an mid-2012 non-Retina 15" MacBook Pro and swapped it into my early-2011 17" MacBook Pro. A little hex edit to the driver file and everything works wonderfully. I'm glad I was able to get eek a little more life out of this wonderful machine with a ticking time-bomb GPU.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm as SWSP said though, I'm pretty sure the antennas will be the killer for me here, Mid-2010 had 5GHz, but pretty sure the antennas have evolved considerably from year to year. :( I'll have to actually open mine up or study the iFixit teardowns to figure out if I have too few antenna wires.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

Fair enough, not obsolete. I do think that is one of the major features of Yosemite though. Also don't get AirDrop to iOS on this machine. So I still have to email files around, like an animal.
Use iOS Transmit to open up those files, like a domesticated animal.

smackfu posted:

I think Windows apps would see the VPN connection, but not OS X ones.
Could OS X connect to the virtual NIC? Windows connects to the VPN, turn on Internet connection sharing in Windows and connect the Mac to the VM :v:

BobHoward posted:

Do you actually run services which need 4 cores? If you're just serving files or running a little web server, dual core ought to be plenty.

(I'd bet this is what killed that mini config off -- almost nobody actually cares about quadcore in a mini. Maybe people who transcode on a media server I guess? But most people who do that are buying a chassis a little bigger than a mini so it can have many terabytes of internal storage.)
Well there were the big companies using racks of them for Mac testing that probably used all the resources. Otherwise nerds like us that don't make up enough people to care about.

I'll skip this one, although if the platter drive in the low end one can be swapped easily I'll probably get one to replace my mom's machine. Maybe another as a standalone server instead of running crap on my own machine (and being paranoid about breaking stuff every time I update).

Khelmar posted:

I've been looking at that place and that's what I'll do I can't get it working. I was hoping for suggestions on something I could try to fix it instead. Sounds like that might not be an option.
I vaguely recall one trick that just required turning a screw slightly on the underside of the trackpad assembly, basically a little readjustment. Not sure if that still applies to the retina ones if you have one of those though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

Hmm as SWSP said though, I'm pretty sure the antennas will be the killer for me here, Mid-2010 had 5GHz, but pretty sure the antennas have evolved considerably from year to year. :( I'll have to actually open mine up or study the iFixit teardowns to figure out if I have too few antenna wires.

If it's just replacing a BT module in your case, I could see it working fine since BT is always 2.4 GHz ISM band. Maybe the antenna design won't be perfectly matched to the radio('s firmware) but it'll be close enough to work. Combined WiFi/BT modules might be a different story.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BobHoward posted:

If it's just replacing a BT module in your case, I could see it working fine since BT is always 2.4 GHz ISM band. Maybe the antenna design won't be perfectly matched to the radio('s firmware) but it'll be close enough to work. Combined WiFi/BT modules might be a different story.

Yeah, I think the AirPort module in the 2010 (and probably other MacBooks) combine Wi-Fi and BT, which means I could be in trouble if it expects 3x3 or something like that.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking to upgrade my iMac's (24-inch, early 2009) RAM. Currently it "contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1067 MHz DDR3 memory module;" each memory slot has 2 GB of RAM in it.

Is it safe to upgrade to this? Is the difference between 1066 mhz and 1067 mhz crucial?

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GB x 2) DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Mac Memory CT2K4G3S1067M
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8...s=1067+MHz+DDR3

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my iMac's (24-inch, early 2009) RAM. Currently it "contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1067 MHz DDR3 memory module;" each memory slot has 2 GB of RAM in it.

Is it safe to upgrade to this? Is the difference between 1066 mhz and 1067 mhz crucial?

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GB x 2) DDR3 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500) CL7 SODIMM 204-Pin Mac Memory CT2K4G3S1067M
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-8...s=1067+MHz+DDR3

Did you use the Crucial tool on their website? It will list the memory they have certified to work in your model computer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Macrumors just confirmed that the Mac MIni RAM is soldered on and not user replaceable. This suuuuucks.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Who said it doesn't?

I read some stuff last night on a few different forums. Looks confirmed now.

https://twitter.com/brianstucki/status/523174106686963712

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

So Macrumors just confirmed that the Mac MIni RAM is soldered on and not user replaceable. This suuuuucks.

I'm surprised they did that kind of engineering update without reworking the case more. The thing still has a space for a second HDD, for instance, and was the same size when it had a slot-loading CD.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I assume they're saving more complicated stuff for "whenever Displayport 1.3 is ready" along with the new Mac Pro 2 and 5k Thunderbolt Display.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Some things about the Late 2014 Mac Minis:

RAM is encased in a metal enclosure. Why? Beats me.

The bottom cover no longer twists off with no tools - you must use a suction cup in a similar manner to pulling the glass off pre-2012 iMacs and it isn't meant to be user accessible. Also, you need security Torx sets.

A special carrier is used to hold the hard drive and the SSD. There are separate ports on the logic board for the SATA and Flash drives.

The carrier only has room for one SATA drive and one PCIe Flash drive (so you can have Fusion)

You still need the dopey giant paper clip to pull the logic board out.

It still has an infrared port on the front, guess they still have a mountain of those Apple Remotes to sell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I assume they're saving more complicated stuff for "whenever Displayport 1.3 is ready" along with the new Mac Pro 2 and 5k Thunderbolt Display.
Yeah I'm hoping this is just a stopgap cause a bunch of stuff is just a while off. TB3 is supposedly coming with Skylake so late next year...hopefully :smithicide:

Binary Badger posted:

Some things about the Late 2014 Mac Minis:
Any clue if the platter drive looks to be reasonably accessible like the old models or will it require a bunch of extra care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why even bother with that poo poo if it's just a minor refresh? I get it when you're making huge design changes that affect thinness like every other computer they sell, but this isn't the grand Apple TV sized all flash Mac mini people have been hoping for, it's a low end desktop.