Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Not all solutions require 100% consistent data or 100% availability and if you choose a NoSQL that is fit for purpose you gain partition tolerance in the tradeoff because SQL sucks at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah if your business doesn't rely on your data being accurate or there at all then nosql is ok.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Learn a CAP theorem I guess?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah if your business doesn't rely on your data being accurate or there at all then nosql is ok.
also if you never reasonably expect another human or service to interact with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats our schema look like? well, we don't really believe in schemas. those kinds of restrictions really bind our creativity in ways that make it too hard to express the beauty of our application.

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

nosql is alright but mongodb really is just for clowns:
http://aphyr.com/posts/284-call-me-maybe-mongodb

basically, mongodb didn't learn what CAP theorem was either

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

mongodb is omakase in that you can "leave it to" mongodb to drop your bespoke data all over the floor

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mongo is good if you never EVER want to formalize your mongo data into normalized, relational data and just want a giant document hash where its ok if a write doesnt make it

this is not how people use it in my experience though, they want normalized, relational data where the data is there and failure is apparent

gently caress mongo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i literally have no idea why you would ever want to use nosql

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Lotus Notes is the original NoSQL database

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes giant flat file stuff is always going to exist for some applications but why would you willingly do that on your loving server in tyool 2014

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

i literally have no idea why you would ever want to use nosql

Ask these folks

http://planetcassandra.org/companies/

SQL is slow as gently caress and can only perform at scale with bespoke servers crafted with special hardware.

A NoSQL Cassandra cluster can be run on commodity hardware and has been demonstrated to handle a million writes per second.

Now obviously their are trade offs but if you are unwilling to challenge the notion of "Relational DB are the one true DB" then enjoy your echo chamber I guess?

They are both tools that can be used well for different purposes and there will probably be many solutions in the future with polyglot persistence, I.e. SQL&NoSQL

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 17, 2014

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
What's the scale where nosql and sql become a wash exactly?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

syntaxrigger posted:

A NoSQL Cassandra cluster can be run on commodity hardware and has been demonstrated to handle a million writes per second.

did the writes succeed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it occurs to me that most of my complaints about nosql are actually mongodb complaints

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

it is if you care about the data

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

chmods please posted:

did the writes succeed

wow nice moving goalposts

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

chmods please posted:

did the writes succeed

http://techblog.netflix.com/2014/07/revisiting-1-million-writes-per-second.html?m=1

E: gently caress awful app

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Average number of encounters with schemas that aren't 1NF per year: 2 :(

I love consulting, and really regret telling the client: we could monkey - patch this (and break 1NF) now or fix it properly with a little more effort...

Never allow your clients the option of terrible poo poo!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I can achieve arbitrarily large numbers of writes with /dev/null therefore it is better than sql

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

I can achieve arbitrarily large numbers of writes with /dev/null therefore it is better than sql

just use /dev/null as a service geez

http://devnull-as-a-service.com/code/

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

anyone know any good modelling software for uml or like database design and poo poo?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Shaggar posted:

it is if you care about the data

i dont at all op

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

theadder posted:

i dont at all op

have i got a database for you!

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

syntaxrigger posted:

Not all solutions require 100% consistent data or 100% availability and if you choose a NoSQL that is fit for purpose you gain partition tolerance in the tradeoff because SQL sucks at it

nosql. it's better than data, it's data-ish®

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
someone tell me why i shouldn't learn go. it seems simple and boring but i'm a boring person so idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

more like dICK posted:

someone tell me why i shouldn't learn go. it seems simple and boring but i'm a boring person so idk

its made by google and has a dumb logo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

its made by google and has a dumb logo

actually it's a deep and rewarding game that is far superior to your gaijin "chess"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

more like dICK posted:

it's made by Google so it'll be abandoned next week

actually I heard it's quite nice for dinky multithreaded client/server projects as it has advanced multiprocessing facilities but I'm not sure who uses it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

more like dICK posted:

how long does it take you to "learn" a language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

learning the syntax of a new language shouldnt take more than a couple hours, its learning the libraries & idioms that takes time

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

more like dICK posted:

it's ok for exactly the case of reading data from a network api and streaming them out as another api

hope you didn't want to sensibly abstract any data structures, or deploy in any other format than a statically compiled binary

enjoy interface{} and debugging goroutine leaks (use net/http/pprof)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw whats a good book or thing on modern c++?

i dont want to learn a bunch of lovely habits by reading stackoverflow answers from 2002

tincho
Nov 3, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i dont want to learn a bunch of lovely habits by reading stackoverflow answers from 2002

http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

Friends don't let friends learn C++.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im doing some stuff with opencv

i guess i can use the c interface tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tincho posted:

oh no the thing that is maintaining compatability with C doesn't have garbage collection?!?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

im doing some stuff with opencv

i guess i can use the c interface tho

don't be a pussy, use the c++ interfaces, you'll be fine just follow raii

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Since Coffeetable doesn't post here any more, I'll do the needful: C++ Primer, 5th Edition. Yes it's big and intimidating, but so is C++.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
accelerated c++ is pretty good if a little outdated (it doesn't cover c++11)

it does a good job of introducing you to the STL and the way you use it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

tincho posted:

This person does not understand immutability.

• Locked thread