Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Those would be great solutions, but it's hardlocked to Cia unfortunately.

Well that sounds easy. Stomp to clear out nearby mooks, energy ball to kill stronger things from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Holy poo poo, the level 9 "Defend the allied keeps with your life!" mission

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

I really hope there isn't a level 10 version of this, but I doubt it since I have no idea how you could make this even more difficult. You literally have no room for error and being even two seconds late means game over.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
This is the best couch co-op game my husband and I've found in quite some time. It's awesome :3 I have Fi at level 99 and have the legendary unlock on one of her weapons and it's so much fun to just twirl twirl twirl around the battlefield! I'm one of those people who picks one or two moves out of a character's moveset and just spams them (ask my sisters about down-B as Link in Smash Bros :| ) and I've been able to find a move or two on most of the characters in this game that I like.

Got the season pass this morning and had enough rupees to level all three of the new guys up to 35 which is great, and I played through Cia's new Legend missions. I like Cia's moves, and her outfits are neat too. Wizzro seems fun enough, didn't try Volga yet as I have a feeling my husband's going to hog him :v:

It's odd that you can't use the items you gathered from the first Adventure Map on the Master Quest one, guess it makes sense though because they want you to have more of a reason to play the new maps instead of zooming through with all the ones you've already saved up.

10/10 would recommend this game to basically anyone, it's been a ton of fun so far and seems to be well worth the cost for the hours you'll get out of it :)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's still such a huge disappointment that this has no online multiplayer. Granted it would be tougher to get the difficulty right when allies are more competent than the AI, but even of it was easy it would still be great for us friendless losers who live alone.

On a side note, for people who have played more of the Dynasty Warriors games, how does this one stack up as a Warriors game?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

chumbler posted:

It's still such a huge disappointment that this has no online multiplayer. Granted it would be tougher to get the difficulty right when allies are more competent than the AI, but even of it was easy it would still be great for us friendless losers who live alone.

On a side note, for people who have played more of the Dynasty Warriors games, how does this one stack up as a Warriors game?

Has a warriors game ever had online multiplayer? I imagine it'd be a nightmare on the netcode with all the minions.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So apparently skipping level 2s does actually let them drop anyway; I have a level 2 spear for Volga but haven't unlocked it. I do have the level 3.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Locke Dunnegan posted:

And to continue the variance in character preference, I don't like Ganondorf much. His combo finishers are slow as gently caress and his bar takes a long time to fill unless you stand there like an rear end in a top hat wasting time. I just played the Baton for the first time and really like it, and so far I like the Deku Spear more than the Gate.

See I basically never finish out his combos unless I'm specifically in the mood to be flashy. I just go YYY-dodgeroll-repeat through every map and that gets me way further than any of his finishers would in half the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chumbler posted:

Dynasty Warriors has way more variety in characters and locales but this has it beat handily in terms of actual gameplay. It's closer to the Sengoku Basara series, which was basically Dynasty Warriors with diluted Devil May Cry thrown in.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I got rewards map 1 but it seemed like it was stuck on Hero difficulty, do I want my character leveled for that because at most I have a level 44 Link

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
After banging my head against the wall that was Agitha's Rank 3 weapon for the better part of a day, I finally managed to complete it.

I love that Agitha is a playable character, but she was not built for A-ranks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is $20 DLC discount pack a temporary thing?

I'll get back to this game eventually but don't want to miss out on a deal. Nintendo is releasing too many good games this year.:v:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not as far as we know, it's a season pass.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of the villains on the Master Quest map and jesus, Volga is obscene. :stare: Cia is also really good but she doesn't seem to have a really good way of wearing down giant boss weak points, unless I missed something. Haven't played as Wizzro yet, but suffice to say that after the first two the bar is set pretty goddamn high.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ah ha, I just completed the Summon Gate 3 map and didn't even realize I'd A-ranked it until I got to the results screen. I was so sure I'd botched it on damage that I was just going through the motions for the rest of the stage. I even zoned out through the whole chest opening animation.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Artix posted:

Cia is also really good but she doesn't seem to have a really good way of wearing down giant boss weak points, unless I missed something.

Have you tried YYYX? The one where she summons 4 Dark Links to go wild? That tends to buzzsaw giant bosses pretty quick.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Have you tried YYYX? The one where she summons 4 Dark Links to go wild? That tends to buzzsaw giant bosses pretty quick.

That's what I've been doing. Set it up and start summoning as the boss is staggering, then basic combo while the Dark Links are going at it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artix posted:

Not as far as we know, it's a season pass.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of the villains on the Master Quest map and jesus, Volga is obscene. :stare: Cia is also really good but she doesn't seem to have a really good way of wearing down giant boss weak points, unless I missed something. Haven't played as Wizzro yet, but suffice to say that after the first two the bar is set pretty goddamn high.

Wizzro is interesting in that he's a ranged character in a melee game, but he doesn't have the same wow factor that Volga and co. do. He seems really good from the little I've used him so far, though. His basic string easily crushes weaknesses on captains and can juggle them if spaced right. His special, weakness crush, and focus seemed kind of mediocre, though.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Has a warriors game ever had online multiplayer? I imagine it'd be a nightmare on the netcode with all the minions.

They managed it with Dynasty Warriors 8 I think, at least with the Playstation 3. Probably just wasn't a priority when they were developing the game.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pirates Warriors 2 had it, remember the only person online was a level 99 Akainu one shotting everything while I just ran around.
It would be insane if they could put 4 player co-op in Dragon Quest Warriors.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Cador_2004 posted:

They managed it with Dynasty Warriors 8 I think, at least with the Playstation 3. Probably just wasn't a priority when they were developing the game.

The PS4 version has it as well, but last I checked it just flat-out did not work. You would start a stage with your pal, and be able to play maybe 5 minutes before it dropped the connection and abruptly killed the stage. You don't even get to finish it if it drops the co-op.

Being the nerd that I am, I tweeted Techmo Koei US about it, and all I got in reply was them favoriting the tweet. We did eventually get a patch but I never tested it out again.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Could someone please post a link again to the goon made spreadsheet that has the locations of materials (item drops)? I really need to do so farming and I don't have the ability to search :(

Loving this game. I hope that last DLC pack is a "bad guys win" story mode.

edit: Assuming we also get Groose, Tingle, Majora's Mask, and the swimsuit pack.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I hadn't tried the ball and chain. I thought it sucked.

How wrong was I :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

Could someone please post a link again to the goon made spreadsheet that has the locations of materials (item drops)? I really need to do so farming and I don't have the ability to search :(

Loving this game. I hope that last DLC pack is a "bad guys win" story mode.

edit: Assuming we also get Groose, Tingle, Majora's Mask, and the swimsuit pack.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P20BhfZMNqU-W-vBtngGIQoMdQQB05N2HUVliFVUGn4/edit#gid=0

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I figured I'd see what the Darunia lvl 3 mission was all about

This happened three times in a row. Any ideas on how I can do it literally a second faster :psyduck:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Finished Zelda's level 2 baton with five seconds to go. Whew! Took out the first keep, ran after the messengers, dropped down onto Wizro, and then... I forget? I just remember I was in a hurry. A big hurry.

So much fun.

Meanwhile, the villains all seem really good, although I have a hard time seeing what Cia is doing and Wizro is powerful but erratic. What does Cia's darkness meter even do? Do you just rotate around to send her Dark Links out in an arc when you conjure them? Weighty questions, indeed!

Sadly, the Guardian of Time outfit doesn't make either Cia or Lana look any less ridiculous. It's just built into the way they move.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just tried Sheik's lv 3 weapon unlock mission. It did not go well.

At all.

Any advice for it? There's just so drat much poo poo everywhere and the bosses just make a beeline for my allies. While I'm beating one down, another one is harassing a Hylian Captain so I have to go bail his rear end out and of course if any of the chucklefucks die, I lose.

Also it's a dick move to put one fairy on the map with two barriers to dispel, one of which is in the boss base and the other in a keep you need to clear to reach your allies. :psyduck:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is it normal for every adventure Link to have the fire rod lv.3 as a reward? It's the only weapon that has shown up so far even though I've unlocked every character.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So do I get new BGM in the Adventure mode, primarily? I don't see them as possible prizes but I assume they are hidden?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Silver, I think I was able to do that one by saving the fairy for the boss keep, and taking an alternate route to get to the allies. It's the Hyrule Castle Field/Courtyard/Whatever one, right? I'm pretty sure that, as much of a pain in the rear end it looks like, you should be able to cut around everyone in the northwest path. Although I get the feeling I'm misremembering, and that's the one that arbitrarily puts a wall exactly where I'm telling you to go.

Either way, much as it pains me to say it, there's usually an alternate path in those missions that lets you hold onto the fairy for the boss keep. Doesn't change how much bullshit it is, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've come to realize that elemental barriers are meaningless. Don't let them stand in the way of capturing the keep. Either stand outside and use ranged attacks if you've got a good character for that, or get a several specials lined up and capture from within without taking any damage. Sheik is great for that since her special can almost clear out a keep in a single use. Once you've captured the keep the barrier disappears anyway.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Marogareh posted:

Is it normal for every adventure Link to have the fire rod lv.3 as a reward? It's the only weapon that has shown up so far even though I've unlocked every character.

All of mine are level 3 gauntlets.

Considering they're gauntlets this isn't inherently a bad thing but I'd love more variety.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

chumbler posted:

there is in fact, a dynasty warriors online. I tried it ages ago and didnt get very far, I just remember my starting character being really weak and taking forever to take down keeps. Pvp was fun though, but it seems the english version's servers shut down earlier this year.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I remember reading that "something special awaits Cia at the end of her story" floating around advertisements so a little bummed when the reward was literally nothing.

Also as odd as it is I actually felt pretty sympathetic during her final level, because christ things fell down on her HARD. Her constant "I-I don't need you! The hero will protect me!" during it just made it unusually sad.

It makes the final battle against Cia really hosed up in hindsight, because she starts saying "the hero is still on my side, the hero is still on my side.." on her mission, but in the final main story battle against her, literally everyone is cheering for Link to kill her While she's completely lost her mind to the dark magic and is screaming at you to die.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Focus Spirit will also negate the damage you take from elemental keeps, so you can blow your magic meter to quickly clear one if there's two keeps and only one fairy.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Speaking of Focus Spirit, I finally did it:

A thousand murders.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Speaking of Focus Spirit, I finally did it:

A thousand murders.

I want to find the person who came up with this objective and high five them until the end of time, because this is executed so much better than the "kill X monsters" missions it's not even funny. These are super fun and I really enjoy doing it every time.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
hahaha cia can't stand not having control over her 'comrades'

she really is the player

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Please tell me there aren't any quiz battles in Master Quest. I am one hundred and ten percent done with slowly whittling down some rear end in a top hat's stratospheric health bar while some other rear end in a top hat routinely stabs me in the back.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

Please tell me there aren't any quiz battles in Master Quest. I am one hundred and ten percent done with slowly whittling down some rear end in a top hat's stratospheric health bar while some other rear end in a top hat routinely stabs me in the back.

Nope there's more! And they're still really poo poo!!

e: Volga's level 3 spear mission is incredibly easy. I was surprised. I think it's just a testament to the fact that Volga is really, really strong, because Link's level 3 gauntlets mission is almost exactly the same and that one gave people a fair bit more trouble. I wonder if this one is just tuned to a lower level since it's nearer the start of the map.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 18, 2014

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The worst master quest quiz fight for me was the "women weapon" one because Lana kept getting herself killed instead of Midna on the last fight.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Lessail posted:

hahaha cia can't stand not having control over her 'comrades'

she really is the player

This DLC contributed one of my new all-time favorite lines in video games, which was basically "Ugh! I can not believe I've been betrayed by jewelry!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If you're having problems with Quiz battles then just guard and go for weak point attacks. Even if the other character gets caught in it, they won't take as much damage as the primary target.

E: Also, the boomerang can stun guys for like a minute, so you can also just keep chucking it at them until you get them stunned and then go for the other one.

• Locked thread