Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To them gay marriage is not a committed monogamous relationship. The only reason gays want to marry is to further the nefarious Gay Agenda. The Gay Agenda is to defile and destroy the only force that holds the glorious ideal of civilization together: White Christian Maleness. To them gays are no better than cannibals and murderers, barbarians at the gates. They cast themselves as the noble crusader against the forces of evil. They need to do this to feed their overweening ego: their only blockade against the tide of fear and insecurity that is their inherent cowardice.

The Gays will use the extra money they save from filing jointly on taxes to fund bigger and bigger assless-chaps parades, thereby converting more and more impressionable youngsters and dooming God's Chosen Country to hellfire and brimstone.

Edit to add: No same-sex marriage just yet in Florida, but Hillsborough County commissioners (Tampa) gave approval to a "domestic partner registry" that grants power of attorney and other responsibilities to partners. I can't find the article I read last night about this where one of the county commissioners remarked that most of the people speaking against this seemed to be reciting prepared remarks that were remarkably similar.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Okay, actual question: In all seriousness, what do religious people stand to lose from this "legal assault" besides the legal expansion ("redefinition") of marriage and the occasional business being closed down because it's owner used the facade of "religious expression" to hate on a group/person? What do they actually feel is under threat?

Perhaps they're just upselling their plight but I feel like I'm missing a great deal of necessity for their panic, and I want someone to explain it to me, please.

1. Scapegoats…leading to:

2. Money…leading to:

3. Power…leading to the obligatory:

4. Profit?

Church leaders rake it in when the flock are frightened of THOSE. When this all blows over they'll ramp up the pressure on slutty women who deign to abort. As in is already happening, per my newspaper comment reading hobby (help me jesus).

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 17, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

skaboomizzy posted:

The Gays will use the extra money they save from filing jointly on taxes to fund bigger and bigger assless-chaps parades, thereby converting more and more impressionable youngsters and dooming God's Chosen Country to hellfire and brimstone.

On the one hand this is hilarious.

On the other I have argued with people who have made the above argument unironically, this makes the whole thing both more and less funny at the same time.

:negative:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Morter posted:

It took me a while to realize that one of the stronger biblical passages against such homosexuality, Leviticus, also spoke against lying with a beast or with some blood relative, in quick succession, as far as I remember. So this is some weird slippery slope/domino-effect-waiting-to-happen, I think.

Other things forbidden in that particular passage:

Period sex
Affairs

Other things forbidden in Leviticus:

Keeping everything you make and leaving none for the poor
Lying
Favoritism
Gossip
Holding a grudge
Eating bloody meat
Shaving
Getting a tattoo

I mean I guess you get the point by now. Anyone who quotes Leviticus to support their stance on gay marriage is a hypocrite and a loving idiot.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Don't forget shellfish and polyester!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
There's also the fear that gay couples will demand to get married in churches and if the church refuses then they'll get sued and shut down. This is in addition to claims that allowing gays to marry equates to the nation approving of sodomy and of course we know what God did to Sodom. And Gomorrah (which was named after an even weirder move).

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I mean I guess you get the point by now. Anyone who quotes Leviticus to support their stance on gay marriage is a hypocrite and a loving idiot.

That's why a lot of them have instead started quoting Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6 instead.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

skaboomizzy posted:

Now now, let's not be alarmist here. The prohibition is on the cotton-poly blend.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Just the other day someone on the street yelled at me that shrimp is an abomination.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bip Roberts posted:

Just the other day someone on the street yelled at me that shrimp is an abomination.

Were they holding a sign that read "God hates fags shrimp".

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

skaboomizzy posted:

I feel like most people know about those. I tried to focus on other ones. Leviticus is against hella things.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's why a lot of them have instead started quoting Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6 instead.

Romans 2 literally begins with "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things."

Corinthians is iffier, but it talks about how it's self-defiling for women to have short hair and men to have long hair, which should be treated as just as outdated as the views on gay sex.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Morter posted:

I have noticed a pattern of a lot of people equating homosexuality, and by extension, same sex marriage, with incest and bestiality. It took me a while to realize that one of the stronger biblical passages against such homosexuality, Leviticus, also spoke against lying with a beast or with some blood relative, in quick succession, as far as I remember. So this is some weird slippery slope/domino-effect-waiting-to-happen, I think.

So in short, to some, being in a relationship with someone of the same sex is as bad as loving your dog.

And the passage in Leviticus exactly after that is telling them to treat people with tattoos as abominations. Which of course they don't.

joat mon posted:

A few possibilities:
A fear that God will withdraw his favor from us (at least for US, and to a lesser extent, British Christians) if we as a nation reach a critical mass of turning away from God.
A fear of being an outsider or an undesirable in one's own county because of one's immutable beliefs. (An interesting irony)
For many Christians who have invested themselves in fighting gay rights or marriage equality, there is a sense that their homophobia is an essential and inseparable part of their Christianity and not being able to act out their homophobia is the same as being forbidden their right of free expression of religion.
A genuine, heartfelt fear for the souls of (what they believe to be) unrepentant sinners.
Uneasiness with no longer being the sole arbiters and determiners of cultural power.

I sincerely doubt the main motivations of these "Christians" doing all these things is to please their god. I find that to be an excuse instead of an actual motivator. There are ones who contributed to the cause because their pastors/preachers told them, sure, but those are the sheep who'd do anything not to rock the boat. The ones at the top are doing this to have a cause to rally to and the entire point is to hold power over the simple people by redirecting their discontents to a group. It's the same exact bully hierarchy in school, where some bullies oppress others are doing it to avert their minds from the fact they're actually oppressed by their heads.

If there is no minority group they're oppressing, the oppressed will start questioning the authorities why they're being oppressed so much and might rebel or leave. This is why so many of these caused are "let's oppress some people" instead of "let's help some people".

They don't really care about freedom, security, culture or morality. The whole thing is simply going "gently caress these guys so my lovely life can feel a bit better". The heads know this. It's practically a business to them.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

joat mon posted:

A few possibilities:
A fear that God will withdraw his favor from us (at least for US, and to a lesser extent, British Christians) if we as a nation reach a critical mass of turning away from God.
A fear of being an outsider or an undesirable in one's own county because of one's immutable beliefs. (An interesting irony)
For many Christians who have invested themselves in fighting gay rights or marriage equality, there is a sense that their homophobia is an essential and inseparable part of their Christianity and not being able to act out their homophobia is the same as being forbidden their right of free expression of religion.
A genuine, heartfelt fear for the souls of (what they believe to be) unrepentant sinners.
Uneasiness with no longer being the sole arbiters and determiners of cultural power.

Also, patriarchy.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think its difficult to pin down their anxieties completely but discounting the hyperbole I think it ultimately boils down to them fearing exactly what gays are hoping for, the legitimization and normalization of homosexuality. Whether they're really afraid of what the one caller (the Catholic father of three from Florida) in that CSPAN debate said that by teaching that homosexuality is normal (he said in schools but I think the more intelligent opponents realize that social modeling is the real culprit) more kids who are questioning their sexuality may choose to "come out" rather than repress it and go on to lead "normal" lives or whether they're just afraid that it will reduce the moral authority of their religion and lead to more rejection of faith by not fully committed members, they're afraid of the effects of normalization will have on their families and faith. Their fears aren't completely unfounded either, certainly if homosexuality is considered normal then there will be no pressure for closeted gays to remain closeted and they can look to western Europe to see what effects government pursuing policies at odds with church teachings has on church attendance and levels of reported faith.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

I feel like most people know about those. I tried to focus on other ones. Leviticus is against hella things.

Deuteronomy prohibits crossdressing and fornication and also insufficient roof safety and cloaks without tassels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Romans 2 literally begins with "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things."

"But it's not judging someone to point out that they're sinning." That's going to be their excuse.

A Pale Horse posted:

whether they're just afraid that it will reduce the moral authority of their religion and lead to more rejection of faith by not fully committed members, they're afraid of the effects of normalization will have on their families and faith.

That's a pretty good point too now that I think about it, the idea of "Hey if the church was wrong about this thing all these years maybe they're wrong about a bunch of other stuff too," and it's a lot harder to tell people "Being gay is a sinful lifestyle" if you're growing up in a world where people being openly gay and able to do things like get married is normal.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Corinthians is iffier, but it talks about how it's self-defiling for women to have short hair and men to have long hair, which should be treated as just as outdated as the views on gay sex.

But...Jesus is always depicted with hippy hair :psyduck:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

But...Jesus is always depicted with hippy hair :psyduck:

Jesus may have been a nazirite, who took a special vow not to cut their hair, like Samson.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arizona's ban struck down, no stay, marriages begin immediately, state 31 on the board (12 since last Monday began)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's a pretty good point too now that I think about it, the idea of "Hey if the church was wrong about this thing all these years maybe they're wrong about a bunch of other stuff too," and it's a lot harder to tell people "Being gay is a sinful lifestyle" if you're growing up in a world where people being openly gay and able to do things like get married is normal.

This reminds me of a blog post by that slacktivist guy. There was a study asking young people whether various phrases describe Christianity. The most agreed upon descriptor? "Anti-homosexual." And that was in 2007, I can only imagine it's gotten worse lately.

quote:

Today, the most common perception is that present-day Christianity is “anti-homosexual.” Overall, 91 percent of young non-Christians and 80 percent of young churchgoers say this phrase describes Christianity. As the research probed this perception, non-Christians and Christians explained that beyond their recognition that Christians oppose homosexuality, they believe that Christians show excessive contempt and unloving attitudes towards gays and lesbians. One of the most frequent criticisms of young Christians was that they believe the church has made homosexuality a “bigger sin” than anything else. Moreover, they claim that the church has not helped them apply the biblical teaching on homosexuality to their friendships with gays and lesbians.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2011/07/09/from-the-archives-the-gay-hatin-gospel/

He discusses a number of theories, it's an interesting read.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

"But it's not judging someone to point out that they're sinning." That's going to be their excuse.

But that's literally exactly what it is saying. It says judgment is reserved for God because all humans are sinners.

E: And I know you know that. It's just the tortured logic they go through to justify their dumb bullshit is absolutely baffling.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Chris James 2 posted:

Arizona's ban struck down, no stay, marriages begin immediately, state 31 on the board (12 since last Monday began)

Holy poo poo, that's MY state!

loving awesome! I really wasn't expecting this. :toot:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ninjasaurus posted:

Holy poo poo, that's MY state!

loving awesome! I really wasn't expecting this. :toot:

Same. I was wondering just the other day when the current wave would hit here. Didn't think I'd see it so soon though.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Live stream begins in 13 min

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1tz-ECKGA

Should be fun after past few weeks

Ah poo poo I missed it. I could have just walked down the street and looked at what they're doing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't know if it's because it's been happening so much lately that they don't consider it interesting news or whatever, but it's funny how none of the major mainstream news websites have an article on this. I had to do a google search for "Arizona gay marriage ban" and it popped up a HuffPost article.

Maybe they think if they just don't report that the ban's been lifted, those wily gays will be kept in the dark and not rush out to destroy the sanctity of marriage? :ninja:

Edit: CNN has a link buried halfway down the front page. MSNBC, Fox, and ABC have zilch.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Other things forbidden in that particular passage:

Period sex
Affairs

Other things forbidden in Leviticus:

Keeping everything you make and leaving none for the poor
Lying
Favoritism
Gossip
Holding a grudge
Eating bloody meat
Shaving
Getting a tattoo

Basically all of Leviticus is someone going "Oh you do this to worship your God? Well, my God says that's wrong. Also here is the proper way to prepare a sacrifice to my God."

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sydin posted:

I don't know if it's because it's been happening so much lately that they don't consider it interesting news or whatever, but it's funny how none of the major mainstream news websites have an article on this. I had to do a google search for "Arizona gay marriage ban" and it popped up a HuffPost article.

Maybe they think if they just don't report that the ban's been lifted, those wily gays will be kept in the dark and not rush out to destroy the sanctity of marriage? :ninja:

Edit: CNN has a link buried halfway down the front page. MSNBC, Fox, and ABC have zilch.

It's Arizona, so people barely pay attention anyway, and there's been such a deluge of states that it's not gonna be a big story.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Chadderbox posted:

Same. I was wondering just the other day when the current wave would hit here. Didn't think I'd see it so soon though.

It's definitely made my day. :3:

Yesterday, my day was made by this:

Thank you for the news, D&D goons!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Arizona AG has announced he won't appeal.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ninjasaurus posted:

It's definitely made my day. :3:

Yesterday, my day was made by this:

Thank you for the news, D&D goons!

This is one of those moments where satirical news sites like The Onion gets their absurdist headlines trumped by reality.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
lol Gresham. Why am I not surprised.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

The Devil can enter your soul through your eyes once your moral defenses have been weakened by the sight of a tight man rear end in riding chaps.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:qq:

Also unless the Supreme Court responds quickly, Alaska's stay is up and the ban is done for good in 21 minutes

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Teddybear posted:

Arizona AG has announced he won't appeal.

Glad to hear my state won't be wasting its tax dollars on pointless bullshit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

VitalSigns posted:

The Devil can enter your soul through your eyes once your moral defenses have been weakened by the sight of a tight man rear end in riding chaps.

Not to rag on Theistic/Superstitious people but influential so-and-such Pat Robertson sincerely thinks you can let evil spirits into your life by watching horror movies. As a good Christian, you must flee from those things. He actually said this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Chris James 2 posted:

Also unless the Supreme Court responds quickly, Alaska's stay is up and the ban is done for good in 21 minutes

Keep in mind that Alaska is appealing, if the SCOTUS denies the stay it's another pretty strong signal that the court considers the issue settled.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

boom

And just like that, both states where Sarah Palin has a home get marriage equality on the same day

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 17, 2014

Plastic Megaphone
Aug 11, 2007
No more credit from the liquor store.
The federal judge in Wyoming just ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, state is "hereby enjoined from enforcing or applying Wyoming Statute 20-1-101, or any other state law, policy or practice, as a basis to deny marriage to same-sex couples or to deny recognition of otherwise valid same-sex marriages entered into elsewhere."

Judge tacked on a temporary stay until 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 23 Or until the state declares it does not intend to appeal. Interestingly, Gov. Mead said in a debate last night that he would not appeal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Three Olives posted:

Keep in mind that Alaska is appealing, if the SCOTUS denies the stay it's another pretty strong signal that the court considers the issue settled.

None of the conservative justices are going to want anyone to grant a stay or risk the case being heard by the SCOTUS because they know there's 5 justices who will rule against a State's ban, making SSM legal nationwide in a single fell swoop.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Holy poo poo, 2 states today and probably another next week. At this rate, we'll have 40 by the end of the year.

I mean, Texas, Alabama, and Mississippi are going to be the only really stubborn states at this point, right? Even Scott Walker, who thought the domestic partnership registry in his state (Wisconsin) was unconstitutional, sees the writing on the wall.

E: Also Wyoming's state nickname is extremely fitting right now. :D

katium fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Wyoming's ban just fell. That makes 32 plus DC. One more and we're at 2/3rds of the states, ladies and gentlemen.

• Locked thread