Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I like the AGE stuff :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

signalnoise posted:

I like the AGE stuff :/

Eh, the FX is cool if a bit busy, but I mostly see bland 2 colour suits and the dragon aliens I didn't like the aesthetic for.

It occurs to me that the success of BF may now lead to more HGs for the line. I hope.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

Bandai, where is my MG Fenice and Gundam X Maoh. :colbert:

If we aren't getting an MG Qubeley Papillon... ;_;

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I forgot who was working on a MG version of it, but FA Gundam Unicorn Plan B looks pretty cool in this 1/144 form:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Monaghan posted:

the difference being that build fighters stuff has been selling well.

If the BF MGs had sold well I don't think they'd have stopped at four.

edit: that's two fewer than AGE got.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

They tend to release, at the very least, an MG of the primary mobile suit, right?
A MG G-Self might make me consider forgoing my stance of only getting HGs...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

They tend to release, at the very least, an MG of the primary mobile suit, right?
A MG G-Self might make me consider forgoing my stance of only getting HGs...

I'm planning on double dipping for the G-Self since I highly doubt the MG is going to have as many expansion packs as the HG will.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

If the BF MGs had sold well I don't think they'd have stopped at four.

edit: that's two fewer than AGE got.

to be fair age got variations of existing kits. There was really only two molds, the age 1 and 2. While this is anecdotal when I was in Japan the star build strike was pretty much sold out everywhere. They could be focusing on the 1/144 line instead I suppose.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
BF is all based on existing kits, though.

For whatever reasons, no more MGs from S1 appear to be forthcoming.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Basically everything I've heard points to the BF MGs selling really well, and for a relatively low cost to boot since so much of it is recycled. Bandai just stopped because they're on all the drugs this year.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What I assume happened for 2014 is that Neo-Zeong and PG Unicorn took up a great deal of the production bandwidth, UC and BF hottness demanded that the HGs be cranked out apace, and MG by default wound up getting the short end of the stick.

It still seems weird that they had three or four very obvious followups they could have gone with but instead just stopped the line cold.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Zedd posted:

I forgot who was working on a MG version of it, but FA Gundam Unicorn Plan B looks pretty cool in this 1/144 form:

Oh wow this is awesome. I'm just going to assume that it needs an action base to pose even slightly? Is the 144 worth getting compared to the MG, from all the problems the MG's seem to have?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

You guys weren't kidding about the Flag having some issues. I gave up on posing it and settled for 'standing up on its own legs.'

Anyway I made my first robots. Fun to make them, but moving them around afterwards is pretty rough. I wasn't having much luck getting the Turn A to even hold the rifle, because the big back part kept getting in the way of the shoulderpads. I'll mess around with them and see if I can get anything better.

I do love the look of the Flag (dem legs) but man it is not exactly suited for this little model format. Maybe if it had a stand? Something to balance out the back wings, at least.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i hate transforming high grades unless they use a ton of partswapping like the zeta plus. The fenice rinascita's transformation, simple as it is, is still too annoying to bother with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gils posted:

You guys weren't kidding about the Flag having some issues. I gave up on posing it and settled for 'standing up on its own legs.'

Anyway I made my first robots. Fun to make them, but moving them around afterwards is pretty rough. I wasn't having much luck getting the Turn A to even hold the rifle, because the big back part kept getting in the way of the shoulderpads. I'll mess around with them and see if I can get anything better.

I do love the look of the Flag (dem legs) but man it is not exactly suited for this little model format. Maybe if it had a stand? Something to balance out the back wings, at least.

Go get yourself an Action Base 2 for the Flag. And one for the Zaku Amazing as well while you're at it, because it's not exactly great at ground posing (though you've done a pretty drat good job with yours). Kudos for actually getting the Flag to stand on it's own feet, incidentally. I didn't think that was actually possible.

muike posted:

i hate transforming high grades unless they use a ton of partswapping like the zeta plus. The fenice rinascita's transformation, simple as it is, is still too annoying to bother with.

The Flag's transformation is actually pretty good, it's just direly in need of polycaps on the hips.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

Oh wow this is awesome. I'm just going to assume that it needs an action base to pose even slightly? Is the 144 worth getting compared to the MG, from all the problems the MG's seem to have?

HG Unicorn Destroy is actually pretty good, though the back of the head is hilariously lazy.

Still waiting on my metallic green to come in before I can assemble my FA Unicorn plan B. :smith:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The great thing about the Union Flags is that they're so goddamn cheap. Seriously, I have like 20 of those things at home, plus or minus a few commie-euro-traitor enacts to boot.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Seriously, get some teflon tape (available at any hardware store) and wrap the Flag's joint pegs in it. You'll get tighter joints that won't wear them out nearly as quickly. It's pretty much the best way around stupid non-polycap joints.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Get an action base for the flag like someone else said. Its pretty much was always a flying suit also. Once I put the flag on an base and never touched him other to change it's pose, its not that bad.

Also you have the shield on the wrong arm. The other flags Graham lead in season one had their shields and main weapon arm inverted to look like yours.

HAHAHA, I just noticed from the picture what happened to yours. You can't get him out of flight mode can you. Ok, the torso is locked when the head is pushed down. So you have to pull the head up without pulling it apart and you can move the torso again. It took me like a day to figure that out.

I love the X wing look of the flight mode.

What is up with no MG 00 suits other then 00 raiser?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 18, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

00 kits didn't sell, so the only MGs were Setsuna's and the GN-X.

If you're wondering why the GN-X got a MG, there's a story that a Bandai executive was asked what his favorite design was and he picked that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

iirc the big moneymaker with 00 was the DVDs/blurays and other non-kit merch, which is why it still got a movie even though it didn't move large volumes of plastic crack.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
drat, I want a MG Cherudim, MG Arios, and MG Masurao. I have build a HG Cherudim and just finished a HG Masurao, but I want something bigger and better. I never realized how big the Masurao is over the 00.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are 1/100s of all the main Gundams. They're not all that bad, the S2 ones in particular. You're out of luck for villain suits though, there's just the S1 grunts.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Honestly I think part of what hurt 00 so bad was how, when otaku whined so loudly about the gundams not looking "right" and didn't buy as much, it led to the series' design aesthetic being compromised on and everything getting crowbarred to fit the mid-2000's Sunrise aesthetic of pastel polygon robots that nobody was really interested in buying.

HairSlut
Nov 29, 2011

My love for Gunpla is burning hot!

like 6 beam cannons, sorry for lovely phone capture

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The 00 kit lineup is nearly 100 strong, that's not really indicative of a failure to me. I think only SEED, original MSG and the legacy lines are larger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HairSlut posted:

My love for Gunpla is burning hot!

like 6 beam cannons, sorry for lovely phone capture

What up, double-Booster-Buddy :hfive:. Though I see an empty hand that could be holding one of the spare SMG's.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bimmi posted:

The 00 kit lineup is nearly 100 strong, that's not really indicative of a failure to me. I think only SEED, original MSG and the legacy lines are larger.

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear the line did badly, I thought 00 was pretty popular? Maybe it was only the Celestial Being suits that did well?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Well that's the thing, I don't think a kit series that gets to that size can be assumed to have done badly. The S2 waves are a bit less robust and got bogged down in Trans-Am nonsense but the sheer number and diversity of subjects in the lineup suggest it performed to expectations, at least.

The MGs may be a different story. The GN-X was a cool but weird choice and I haven't run across too many buildups of it out in the wild. Does anyone here even have one?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yo. It owns. It's surprisingly bulky for such a light looking suit.

The fins get in the way / fall off all the bloody time though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Ignimbrite posted:

Yo. It owns. It's surprisingly bulky for such a light looking suit.

The fins get in the way / fall off all the bloody time though.

I can confirm all of this. Also, good luck ever getting the GN Drive Tau back out.

It also has an articulating crotch cockpit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I apparently need to wash the plastic more recently before spraypainting. Oh well, it's a test kit!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Well that's the thing, I don't think a kit series that gets to that size can be assumed to have done badly. The S2 waves are a bit less robust and got bogged down in Trans-Am nonsense but the sheer number and diversity of subjects in the lineup suggest it performed to expectations, at least.

The MGs may be a different story. The GN-X was a cool but weird choice and I haven't run across too many buildups of it out in the wild. Does anyone here even have one?

I have one I haven't built yet. One of the guys in my modeling group put one together and had problems with the fins coming off.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Spraypaint color scheme is working

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just ordered MG 00 Raiser and a couple action bases. Want one for posing and one for holding mans while I build them instead of just putting them in a box. Should be here Thursday. Good times.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know, Bandai really missed an opportunity by not making the backpacks for the build fighters MGs match the backpack design for the 00 Gundam. And where's the Amazing Pack for the MG Exia?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Gents, I'm looking for something in a Macross Valkyrie. Preferrably VF-1 of some flavor. Are there any good kits, or are they all very old and very dodgy?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

For those of you with the regular MG Destiny, there's a pretty decent 3rd party WoL on eBay for $14. You can message them whether you want a red or purple-blue one.

Also 50% off of the Kotobukiya Shiranui Vanguard and $35 off the nonscale Wilfried's Typhoon. I think the general consensus on the Koto Muv-luv kits is that the nonscales sucked while the 1/144s were neat, so be careful.

One lucky guy Two people can also get a 1/72 VF-1S Valkyrie Roy Focker custom for close to the base price in Japan. There's also the Super Parts expansion pack for $19.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Yes, but what's the quality of the kit like? I'm looking at the dalong page and it looks ok, but if anyone has built it I'd like to know their thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Transformation is a hassle but if you didn't see that coming I don't know what to tell you. Other than that it's fine, if decal heavy.

• Locked thread