Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Two systems, installed day-of-release, no funniness/fishy issues. Performance is back to "normal" (I never really noticed it, given that I rarely reboot), and haven't had any funky times with sleep/shutdowns/crashes/anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Yep, I haven't had any problems either.

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.
I installed the Performance Restoration/firmware update package on 3 desktops and 1 laptop with 250GB 840 EVOs and everything works fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Before Performance Restore

After Performance Restore

After running the test like 10 times, there's always that little dip between 50 and 70GB. Not that it really matters, but I'm curious...anyone have any theories what could cause something like that?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I have a 250GB 840 EVO in another computer, so I want to make sure I don't have the same issue.

Was the setting in the OP you're talking about AHCI or IDE?

It is set to ACHI and RAPID is enabled. It is set for Maximum performance in Magician.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lowtechs posted:

It is set to ACHI and RAPID is enabled. It is set for Maximum performance in Magician.

Feel free to revert the changes Magician made when you set it to maximum performance, because it doesn't actually help and wastes power by making sure your CPU never sleeps.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Feel free to revert the changes Magician made when you set it to maximum performance, because it doesn't actually help and wastes power by making sure your CPU never sleeps.

I think I did. I did NOT run the OS Optimization feature I made the changes through the Advanced tab. I have hibernation enabled which I assume will put the CPU to sleep. I have Prefetch and Superfetch not activated but the rest activated or set to the recommended.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lowtechs posted:

I think I did. I did NOT run the OS Optimization feature I made the changes through the Advanced tab. I have hibernation enabled which I assume will put the CPU to sleep. I have Prefetch and Superfetch not activated but the rest activated or set to the recommended.

If you have Windows 8 then you should keep superfetch on. It's smart enough to not touch an SSD now but it'll still work on your regular drives. If you only have SSDs then it doesn't matter either way.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Looks like I will have to wait for the firmware upgrade on an ISO, the Performance Restore tool refuses to work on my 840 EVO that I use for Linux, it claims I need to initialise it, which would wipe out the Grub bootloader, resulting in me being unable to get back into Windows if something goes wrong. I had assumed it would refuse to actually rewrite all the data, so I had made a disc image that I was going to write back using dd, but it won't even update the firmware.

I wish they had made it able to just update the firmware as and then refuse to do the next step if it was unable to do so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What kind of drives are the Samsung ones in Macbooks?

I assume they're not Evos, are they regular 840s?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

If you have Windows 8 then you should keep superfetch on. It's smart enough to not touch an SSD now but it'll still work on your regular drives. If you only have SSDs then it doesn't matter either way.

Thanks! I do have a 2TB regular drive in my system for all my crap. I will see how it runs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Aphrodite posted:

What kind of drives are the Samsung ones in Macbooks?

I assume they're not Evos, are they regular 840s?

Neither. This is the SATA Express ID string for the drive in my Macbook:

APPLE SSD SM0512F

The only tipoff that it's a Samsung controller and flash memory is the "SM". If it was a Toshiba-tech drive those two letters would be "TS" instead. This particular drive is probably the same controller as a Samsung XP941 (since it's a PCIe SSD) with an Apple customized firmware image.

Even before Apple switched MacBooks over to PCIe SSDs in 2013, Apple was doing custom form factor SATA drives with custom firmware. The Samsung versions were most likely derived from the 830 and 840 Pro. I don't think Apple has shipped any TLC flash SSDs to date.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I see that Clonezilla is the recommended cloning tool in this thread. I've been using DriveImageXML for quite a while, are there any issues with it that you guys know of?

EDIT: Well it seems there are, since it doesn't automatically handle the Windows 7/8 100mb boot/recovery partition and I ended up with a non-booting drive. Easily fixed through a Windows install disk or USB pen, but I found it faster to just re-do the cloning using Samsung's Migration Tool, which worked flawlessly.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 19, 2014

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God
I have a Lenovo yoga 2 pro that has what I believe is a Samsung 250gb drive inside it. There's no way to get rapid mode or this firmware fix working on this drive since its OEM, right? Rapid mode works so well on my desktop I'm hoping there's a way to get it on my laptop..

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dark Solux posted:

I have a Lenovo yoga 2 pro that has what I believe is a Samsung 250gb drive inside it. There's no way to get rapid mode or this firmware fix working on this drive since its OEM, right? Rapid mode works so well on my desktop I'm hoping there's a way to get it on my laptop..

You'll basically just want to install samsung magician and see if the disk is recognized as one of the ones that it supports. If so then you can use those features. If not then it's probably not an EVO or a Pro and it won't support them.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
So I decided to do a before/after bench and the first one made me :stonk: a little, second is vastly improved.

Before

After

Sundayturks fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 19, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Finally got around to updating my 250GB EVO. Little lower ceiling in HD Tach than others I'm seeing. Will probably install Magician and see if that does the trick. Wouldn't think caching would affect a proper sequential read speed test. This isn't exactly a Linux compute platform with 1TB of memory and 60GB of OS disk where you can cache the entire drive with free memory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine is different.

No idea why, but none of the big drops.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
250gb EVO

Pre

Good stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's annoying this fix isn't downloaded through the normal firmware update process though. How many people buying an EVO are going to know they have to download a separate performance restoration tool to fix the SSD they just bought?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Magician will probably get a special update that will notify people.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

How many people buying an EVO are going to know they have to download a separate performance restoration tool to fix the SSD they just bought?

As it took a Year for somebody to notice there was a problem, not many.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm hoping they hurry up and bring out an 850EVO so we don't have to keep telling people about it. It doesn't give the best impression when you're talking people into buying an EVO, when you say, 'oh yeah, make sure you download the performance repair tool to fix this teeny issue the drive had'.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
An update prompt from Magician to fix a performance issue most people won't notice isn't that bad.
That's alot easier to swallow than "Install this firmware update but not that one to make sure the driver doesn't die at 5200 hours."

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This was a really dumb problem, but I'm glad that I no longer have to wait 10 full seconds after I click a link on Steam!

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm hoping they hurry up and bring out an 850EVO so we don't have to keep telling people about it. It doesn't give the best impression when you're talking people into buying an EVO, when you say, 'oh yeah, make sure you download the performance repair tool to fix this teeny issue the drive had'.

I'm guessing that no one here knows but are we likely to see an 850 Evo this year? I'm looking to upgrade from a Crucial M4 128GB to a 500GB drive and would rather wait if there is a chance it will be soon.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

cisco privilege posted:

An update prompt from Magician to fix a performance issue most people won't notice isn't that bad.

Yep. Installed it on the wife's system, she was asking what it was for. Told her it was to correct a performance-hindering bug that made the drive read old data really slow. She hadn't noticed, at all. So I think for most people, past synthetic benchmarks, it wasn't a huge deal. I know I really didn't notice it until it was pointed out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hace posted:

This was a really dumb problem, but I'm glad that I no longer have to wait 10 full seconds after I click a link on Steam!

That's just from steam's new lovely anti phishing feature which was recently semi-fixed. Probably nothing to do with your drive.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

So, as a Ubuntu 14.04/ext user of an 840 EVO as my OS drive, do I have any options here? I have a Windows dual boot, so it's not a problem to partition off some of the free SSD space into NTFS, then boot into Windows to run the tool. Will that be sufficient to fix the issue for future writes? Would I then have to rewrite all the ext data to solve the problem for the existing data?

Are there any indications they will release a tool for Linux? I'm assuming not, but if so, I could just wait.

Also, is RAPID NTFS exclusive? I was assuming it was, considering all the talk of enabling it in Magician.

As long as I'm posting, while I was googling the issue, someone mentioned periodically TRIMing the drive. I was pretty sure that was handled automatically as of 14.04 for certain drives, and I thought this was one of them. Am I wrong?

If this is better suited to the Ubuntu thread, I'm happy to take it there.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Did Samsung genuinely release a firmware update that can't be installed for many people with Evo drives? That doesn't make much sense, somebody tell me I'm misreading the situation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Did Samsung genuinely release a firmware update that can't be installed for many people with Evo drives? That doesn't make much sense, somebody tell me I'm misreading the situation.

They released a firmware update that isn't installed via samsung magician, nor is there any kind of prompt in magician - and there is no sign of any notification about the issue on the samsung website. Instead, you have to engage in an invigorating session of website spelunking, in order to dive into the bowels of the samsung support website, to find a download for a 'performance restoration tool' which installs the new firmware, followed by a once off correction of the existing problem by rewriting all the data on the drive. This tool is strictly windows only, and the standalone firmware available on the site is the previous one, so literally the only way of installing this bug fixing update is to use a piece of windows only software. There is no linux download for firmware available period, so I'm not sure if linux users can ever update samsung firmware.

Even windows users would need to be sufficiently interested in technology to be reading sites like this or anandtech, and be directed to samsung's website for a fix, otherwise they may not even know the issue exists.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That's my read as well, but it seems ridiculous - is this their final response or just step one in a larger process? I imagine they've got a lot of ground to cover given how many of these things have been sold.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Considering how long it took for anyone to notice the problem, they might be trying to downplay the issue and not draw any attention to it. Or they're letting the enthusiasts get the fix first and make sure it works properly before deploying it en masse through Magician, since the enthusiasts that found it are most likely to find any further issues now that they're paying attention. Or Magician isn't coded to handle a separate Performance Restoration Tool, and they kicked the problem off to another team to fix before mass distribution can commence.

Or most likely, some combination of all of the above plus some office politics on top. At least we got a fix, they could have elected to just let the issue go with the 850 series rolling out.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
I hear a lot of people saying they didn't notice it. By and large I didn't either, except some of my Steam games like Dark Souls were taking a really long time, like more than a minute to launch after clicking on them. So that was probably caused by this, I just assumed it was something broken but never dug too deep.

Also windows starts faster again, but the onset of slowness was gradual enough that I didn't notice. Just because you aren't noticing doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Just like getting fat. ;)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pimpmust posted:

Before:

After:

Only took an hour to do my 1tb EVO, but I only got like 170gb on it.

Why did you lose 75MB/sec read rate after the update but nobody else did?

Edit: I threw this together for linux - it's not a real benchmarking tool, but O_DIRECT bypasses the page cache so it's good enough to spot the huge slowdowns on an unpached EVO.

I really doubt it works on 32bit, since I wrote it for me and I only have 64bit.

The help is just to remind me in six months how it works, basically it picks P points linearly from 0 to disksize, and reads N bytes there. I'm sure you could feed it into xplot trivially, but my disks were flat enough by eyeball I didn't bother.

https://gist.github.com/harikattar/6402d2df621b9da161f8

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 21, 2014

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
So i've got a bit of extra money to spend and for now i think the biggest upgrade to my i5 2500, gtx760 gaming computer is an ssd since i dont have one yet.

As i understand the benefits are mostly in using it for the system drive and some games with long load times(WoW maybe?) so i suppose 250gb would be a fitting size.

With the samsung EVO series being apparently fixed, i guess the 840 EVO 250g is the one to go for? Another forum i read preferred the Crucial mx100 256gb which is cheaper, but maybe it was due to this bug.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Delerion posted:

With the samsung EVO series being apparently fixed, i guess the 840 EVO 250g is the one to go for? Another forum i read preferred the Crucial mx100 256gb which is cheaper, but maybe it was due to this bug.

Crucial flat-out lied about a critical feature on the mx100 (Power loss protection doesn't do poo poo). That's far worse than a slowdown that's already been fixed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, especially with the Samsung firmware fix, the Samsung 840 EVO is still the best bet for normal people? The 500GB is only $230 and I think I'm ready to make the jump.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Harik posted:

Why did you lose 75MB/sec read rate after the update but nobody else did?

Edit: I threw this together for linux - it's not a real benchmarking tool, but O_DIRECT bypasses the page cache so it's good enough to spot the huge slowdowns on an unpached EVO.

I really doubt it works on 32bit, since I wrote it for me and I only have 64bit.

The help is just to remind me in six months how it works, basically it picks P points linearly from 0 to disksize, and reads N bytes there. I'm sure you could feed it into xplot trivially, but my disks were flat enough by eyeball I didn't bother.

https://gist.github.com/harikattar/6402d2df621b9da161f8

I noticed that but the average went up so I dunno, maybe the program's not all that accurate? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Everybody complaining about no Mac or Linux version I'm assuming didn't actually read what they have on the website?

This was also mentioned in basically every news piece that came out when the fix was released. Anandtech's article: "An OS-independent tool will be available later this month for Mac and Linux users"

• Locked thread