Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Capn Beeb posted:

I really wish melee wasn't so clunky cause

:drat:

Can someone tell me what mods are at work here? The race, armor, and possibly even the visual mods? Playing as a Ghoul was something I always wanted to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

IMPACT is out, folks.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57113/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This is pretty cool.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The problem with shooting in New Vegas isn't that it doesn't look good, it's that it doesn't feel good. Every automatic weapon has so high spreads that you'll miss 80% of your bullets outside point blank range and there isn't really any well controllable recoil either. Basically, it should work like CS, is what I'm saying.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smol posted:

The problem with shooting in New Vegas isn't that it doesn't look good, it's that it doesn't feel good. Every automatic weapon has so high spreads that you'll miss 80% of your bullets outside point blank range and there isn't really any well controllable recoil either. Basically, it should work like CS, is what I'm saying.

What is your character's guns skill? Not you the player, your character's. If they aren't good with guns you shouldn't be. It should most definitely NOT be like CS.

let me tell you what an RPG is...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Disabling autoaim completely also doubles your weapon spread so there's that as well

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mortimer posted:

What is your character's guns skill? Not you the player, your character's. If they aren't good with guns you shouldn't be. It should most definitely NOT be like CS.

This would be applicable if the game didn't also add iron sights and scopes and make combat real time and in a style typical to action games specifically to try and make fighting less like an RPG. Trying to incorporate traditions from modern FPS games while having bullets fly off-axis or even curve around enemies doesn't mesh.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Guns is always the first skill I max out. So 100 after a few levels. And I don't think me missing half of my shots is what makes a game a good RPG. Mass Effect is a good example of how the combat improved tremendously as soon as they made the guns shoot actually where you pointed at and tweaked the recoil and whatnot to make shooting more skill-based.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Disabling autoaim completely also doubles your weapon spread so there's that as well

Wait, what? :psyduck:

Disabling auto aim is the first thing I do when playing the game.

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2014

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

My issue is less hitting enemies, and more than you need like 9 bullets to drop some dude in shirtless raider armor. I had to mod the game with a custom Very Hard so enemies do x2 damage to me and I do something stupid like x6 to them just so I can feel like guns are dangerous and armor is helpful, but not a be-all end-all.

(Drugs are the be-all end-all. Lots and lots of drugs.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smol posted:

Wait, what? :psyduck:

Disabling auto aim is the first thing I do when playing the game.
Yes, it does that for reasons completely unknown to everyone but Bethesda. Obsidian didn't change it but they at least mercifully toned down the automiss/autohit tendency of the game.

So you pretty much have to halve the spread of every automatic weapon in the game in a patch to see what the intended weapon spread was (which is actually pretty small in most cases)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Is there an existing mod that does that?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Does this work with weapons added in by mods like the various Millenia guns?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

StandardVC10 posted:

Does this work with weapons added in by mods like the various Millenia guns?

Unless they use custom ammo or something I can't see why it wouldn't, but I haven't dug into the files yet.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Yeah it should. IMPACT with the Destruction Overhaul I linked earlier is a pretty awesome shooting experience, by the way.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Smol posted:

Is there an existing mod that does that?

No, but making an ESP override patch in FNVEdit with all the entries of automatic weapons with modified Min Spread values would sort that out fine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The author of Impact says F.E.A.R. was his inspiration, he nailed what he was going for. :jihad:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Naky posted:

Yeah it should. IMPACT with the Destruction Overhaul I linked earlier is a pretty awesome shooting experience, by the way.

Indoor battles are awesome with bottles and poo poo blowing up everywhere

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Does anyone know offhand if there's a NPC chatter mod like the Guard Dialogue Overhaul for Skyrim? Something that reduces or varies the NPC barks as you walk by them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

posh spaz posted:

Does anyone know offhand if there's a NPC chatter mod like the Guard Dialogue Overhaul for Skyrim? Something that reduces or varies the NPC barks as you walk by them.

What, did you forget that the Mojave desert almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter?

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

LoonShia posted:

What, did you forget that the Mojave desert almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter?

"Gee, sure is hot today" is at least something humans might say to strangers. That makes slightly more sense than constantly shouting "Ave, true to Caesar!" at me. I imagine living in Nazi Germany would've been annoying, what with all the "Heil Hitler!"s being bandied about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

posh spaz posted:

I swear there's one on the Nexus.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Useful new mod: UIO - UI Organizer uses an NVSE plugin to scan for prefab hud xml files at game start time, removing the need for uHud. No more rerunning uHud after each install/uninstall of a hud mod.

It's very cool to see so many great new mods for a 4 year old game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Firstborn posted:

Can someone tell me what mods are at work here? The race, armor, and possibly even the visual mods? Playing as a Ghoul was something I always wanted to do.

I think it's this ghoul race mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35531/

Armor:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55713/

I also use Onix ENB as well as the NMC texture packs in the OP.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55318/

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've hit a bit of a dead end. I tried installing a tale of two wastelands with FOMM, but the mod manager just stopped responding whenever I tried. Then I attempted to install it manually, and the game stops responding immediately whenever I launch it. I've tried disabling every other add-on and mod including all of the Fallout 3 files, and it still stops responding. Is there some sort of crash report I can access in order to figure out what I did wrong?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ariong posted:

I've hit a bit of a dead end. I tried installing a tale of two wastelands with FOMM, but the mod manager just stopped responding whenever I tried. Then I attempted to install it manually, and the game stops responding immediately whenever I launch it. I've tried disabling every other add-on and mod including all of the Fallout 3 files, and it still stops responding. Is there some sort of crash report I can access in order to figure out what I did wrong?

Is FOMM actually crashing after a while, or is it just windows saying "Program not responding"? While it's installing it doesn't respond to windows and will act like it's frozen, but it is installing the mod. It just takes a few minutes. If it's actually crashing at some point, that means you need a large address aware FOMM. Most recent FOMM can be found here

e: clarified

Garrand fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 17, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Should I uninstall the stuff I put in there manually before I do that, or will it just automatically merge and replace?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Should I uninstall the stuff I put in there manually before I do that, or will it just automatically merge and replace?

I don't know exactly what FOMM does above and beyond just copying the files over, but most of it should just get overwritten by the installation of the mod. If you can, I would just delete the stuff out anyway, just in case, and let FOMM do its thing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I activated the main TTW files in FOMM, and was unable to activate the optional files, being told that I had to activate the main ones. The main ones now have a reactivate option, which don't seem to change anything even if I wait for it to load and start responding again.

HHammond
Dec 25, 2011
I've just installed the JE Sawyer mod and it's pretty great. My only issue is that I don't seem to be gaining any extra HP with each level. Is this part of the mod or an error?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

I activated the main TTW files in FOMM, and was unable to activate the optional files, being told that I had to activate the main ones. The main ones now have a reactivate option, which don't seem to change anything even if I wait for it to load and start responding again.

I vaguely remember having a problem like this before. In the primary FOMM window are all the TTW and Fallout 3 files boxes checked to load? I'm trying to remember if that was a cause or if I just ended up installing the optional files manually. Make sure TTW and the Fallout 3 files are checked to load and in the proper load order.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Garrand posted:

I vaguely remember having a problem like this before. In the primary FOMM window are all the TTW and Fallout 3 files boxes checked to load? I'm trying to remember if that was a cause or if I just ended up installing the optional files manually. Make sure TTW and the Fallout 3 files are checked to load and in the proper load order.

They are not appearing in the main window, just the two in the package manager.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

They are not appearing in the main window, just the two in the package manager.

Oh, so the files aren't showing up in the load order window at all, even after activating?

Unfortunately I don't have NV right in front of me to test. What version of FOMM are you using?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

13.21. Looks like the version listed on the nexus wasn't the most recent. I'll download that and try it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

13.21. Looks like the version listed on the nexus wasn't the most recent. I'll download that and try it.

Yeah, give this a shot, I think the newer version solved that whole problem as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, it's progress I guess. That website links here. I'm not sure where I can find the LegacySecurityPolicy attribute in order to change it to true.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Well, it's progress I guess. That website links here. I'm not sure where I can find the LegacySecurityPolicy attribute in order to change it to true.

put this in a notepad file called fomm.exe.config in the folder with FOMM.exe

code:
<configuration>
<runtime>
<NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy enabled="true"/>
</runtime>
</configuration>
It's the only solution I've seen so far, but unfortunately when I did it FOMM just crashed on start. It's apparently worked for other people. If it does crash, I guess try older FOMM versions from github, but at this point I actually gave up trying to get TTW installed. I never actually came across a solution. TTW isn't the only mod this happens on, either.

It only really started after I updated to .Net 4.5, but at this point I had lost my desire to play more New Vegas anyway. I can only hope someone has a better idea/solution.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Garrand posted:

put this in a notepad file called fomm.exe.config

Do I keep it as a text document, or do I change the file name extension?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

Do I keep it as a text document, or do I change the file name extension?

change the extension

If it crashes, change runtime to startup, so

code:
<configuration>
	<startup>
		<NetFx40_LegacySecurityPolicy enabled="true"/>
	</startup>
</configuration>
and see if that does anything.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

"startup" causes it to crash immediately, "runtime" causes both fomm windows to stop responding, I believe until you force close it. Judging by the error message earlier, the problem lies with the .NET framework, which I know nothing about. oh well. Thanks for the help anyway, friend. I guess I'll have to choose between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Since this has gone above and beyond just getting a mod installed, you might be able to get help in the SHSC tech support forum