Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
iCloud Keychain... I keep turning it on and inputting the code sent to me and then I leave Settings app, come back and it's toggled itself off again. Bug? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So the announcement today said that "500 banks" are signed on with Apple Pay, have they produced a list at all yet?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

kitten smoothie posted:

So the announcement today said that "500 banks" are signed on with Apple Pay, have they produced a list at all yet?

I've seen no list but I've noticed the screens in Wells Fargo ATMs advertising 🍎Pay and also my Chase app mentions it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

iCloud Keychain... I keep turning it on and inputting the code sent to me and then I leave Settings app, come back and it's toggled itself off again. Bug? Or am I doing something wrong here?

Mine did that like 6 times before it worked.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I really want to be able to run around without needing to carry a wallet. If that means my sweaty rear end has to eat at the arches I can live with that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Anyone have any luck in getting instant hotspot to work? I've been trying to get it to work from my iPhone to iPad with no success. Regular Personal Hotspot works just fine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Anyone have any luck in getting instant hotspot to work? I've been trying to get it to work from my iPhone to iPad with no success. Regular Personal Hotspot works just fine.

Is it a new feature of iOS 8? Cause I just noticed that I have the ability to create a hotspot now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

I just checked and when I go into my iPad wireless settings, my phone is listed in there (even though hotspot was turned off in the phone) with the chain icon for the hotspot feature. I just verified by tapping that in the iPad prefs and it activated my hotspot and I connected fine.

I had used the iPad in iOS7 with the phone as a hotspot by turning on the hotspot first and then attaching. With iOS8 I can now activate it all from within the iPad settings.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

:wave:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Is that a diagram to show that it can still fit into a pocket?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I think it s a tailor setup to make your pocket bigger so that the iPhone fits.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's genius :lol:

Question: for the last few days my battery usage log has been identical (usage/standby show the same time) as if an all is constantly on. I don't think I have anything set to always on are there are chunks of the day where the phone is doing nothing but the usage/standby just shows you how long it's been since the phone was unplugged so I know that's wrong.

Is it just a known big or do I have to go hunt to see what's active every second the phone is on? The battery life has been great lasting me well past the work day with usually 20%+ and the individual app usage seems about right so it's more of a curiosity than an actual issue

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Question: for the last few days my battery usage log has been identical (usage/standby show the same time) as if an all is constantly on. I don't think I have anything set to always on are there are chunks of the day where the phone is doing nothing but the usage/standby just shows you how long it's been since the phone was unplugged so I know that's wrong.

Is it just a known big or do I have to go hunt to see what's active every second the phone is on? The battery life has been great lasting me well past the work day with usually 20%+ and the individual app usage seems about right so it's more of a curiosity than an actual issue

When I got my 6 this issue developed after a couple of days. I started troubleshooting by turning off notifications, background app refresh, and all multitasking cards (then just used the phone normally) and it seemed to sort itself out after a while (maybe a day or so?). After the two counters diverged, I started turning things back on and I haven't had any issues since.

I know this isn't insight on what the problem is (maybe an app isn't giving up background access to an interface, no idea), but know you aren't alone. The last time I had this issue was with an iPhone 4 where the process in charge of push mail was just going crazy in the background. In that case I had to restore the phone. I'm not a developer so I'm not to sure on this, but if you could get console logs from the phone you may see what is bugging out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Scroll to the top of the Playlists list, tap "New Playlist."

Yeah, this isn't really car driving friendly like the iPod was unfortunately.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have the same problem. I have only three apps running with background refresh turned on, Breeze, Human and Swarm. Breeze and Human are fitness trackers, but they shouldn't be running all the time (they're both iOS 8 compatible and use the M8 sensor).

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Okay, since an iPod Touch 6th Gen didn't materialize yesterday, the next best thing would be (I THINK) an iPhone 5c with a bad ESN if I want pocketable iOS without a data plan. Better processor and RAM than an iTouch 5th Gen, and cheaper than buying a fully functional one.

So what I'm poking around for now is an iPhone 5c with:
* an unfucked screen and ports
* a bad ESN
* no iCloud lock

Is there anything else I need to be wary of with such a thing, and how much should I expect to pay for such a beast?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

delfin posted:

Okay, since an iPod Touch 6th Gen didn't materialize yesterday, the next best thing would be (I THINK) an iPhone 5c with a bad ESN if I want pocketable iOS without a data plan. Better processor and RAM than an iTouch 5th Gen, and cheaper than buying a fully functional one.

So what I'm poking around for now is an iPhone 5c with:
* an unfucked screen and ports
* a bad ESN
* no iCloud lock

Is there anything else I need to be wary of with such a thing, and how much should I expect to pay for such a beast?

Hmmm yes I too buy stolen products to enjoy a hobbled device.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Hmmm yes I too buy stolen products to enjoy a hobbled device.

Well, my iPod Touch 4th Generation is just about dead: if apps don't disqualify it by requiring iOS 7+, they take 512MB RAM for granted and cough and die when loaded. The 5th Gen one will run into the same problem before long, and there is no 6th Gen. I have no interest in the phone portion of the iPhone (or, specifically, for the costly phone and data plans associated with it). So SOME kind of off-contract 5c as a Ghetto iPod seems like the solution.

If the ethics of a bad ESN one are worthy of concern, what's my next best option?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

delfin posted:

Well, my iPod Touch 4th Generation is just about dead: if apps don't disqualify it by requiring iOS 7+, they take 512MB RAM for granted and cough and die when loaded. The 5th Gen one will run into the same problem before long, and there is no 6th Gen. I have no interest in the phone portion of the iPhone (or, specifically, for the costly phone and data plans associated with it). So SOME kind of off-contract 5c as a Ghetto iPod seems like the solution.

If the ethics of a bad ESN one are worthy of concern, what's my next best option?
It doesn't need to have a bad ESN to work as an iPod Touch. Buy someone's old 5C who upgraded to the 6. You'll pay like $200 and have a fully functional device.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Buy a 5C with a broke rear end screen for like $80 on Craigslist and have Viggen fix it for like $50 or $60 bucks.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
So looking on apple's website, if I wanted to buy a new 6 or 6+ off contract, it would be from T-Mobile. It will still work on AT&T's network as well as hopefully over in Europe with prepaid SIM cards? This is my first time buying a new phone off contract so I don't want to mess up!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Poala Bear posted:

So looking on apple's website, if I wanted to buy a new 6 or 6+ off contract, it would be from T-Mobile. It will still work on AT&T's network as well as hopefully over in Europe with prepaid SIM cards? This is my first time buying a new phone off contract so I don't want to mess up!

Yeah. Same goes for Verizon phones.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah. Same goes for Verizon phones.

Yes, except you can't buy (or reserve) a Verizon or Att phone for full price on apples website. It's in store only for full price devices that aren't T-mobile. Sucks because there were huge amounts of stock today for in store Verizon phones but I couldn't reserve one unless I was upgrading or signing up for service.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So if Handoff is supposed to work seamlessly between my iPad and iPhone, it does not. I see the icon (sometimes) on my iPad lock screen, and despite having a project open on my phone, it either:

Crashes to desktop when I swipe up on my iPad

or

Launches Keynote to a screen with nothing but an option to "start a new project."

:\

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

So if Handoff is supposed to work seamlessly between my iPad and iPhone, it does not. I see the icon (sometimes) on my iPad lock screen, and despite having a project open on my phone, it either:

or

Launches Keynote to a screen with nothing but an option to "start a new project."

Are you using 8.1?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Are you using 8.1?

No. It doesn't exist yet. I know 8.02 is buggy (and that may just be the root cause of it.) But is 8.1 needed for Handoff between iOS devices? It seems to want to work, it just doesn't. (My bad if it's not supposed to work till 8.1 and I just didn't know.)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't think it was enabled pre-8.1. I've never experienced the little handoff icon since upgrading to the GM of iOS 8 (although it was present and working in the beta).

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Are there any details on 8.1 yet? I want to see if the dodgy image loading issues are mentioned.

e: yeah I know it's monday, just wondering if anyone has leaked the patch notes or anything yet.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 17, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

various cheeses posted:

Are there any details on 8.1 yet? I want to see if the dodgy image loading issues are mentioned.

Monday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I didn't think it was enabled pre-8.1. I've never experienced the little handoff icon since upgrading to the GM of iOS 8 (although it was present and working in the beta).

Well maybe it doesn't work completely or is not supposed to but it definitely activates and shows up in the bottom screen at least sometimes and if you swipe up will launch the app (if it doesn't crash, that is.)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Well maybe it doesn't work completely or is not supposed to but it definitely activates and shows up in the bottom screen at least sometimes and if you swipe up will launch the app (if it doesn't crash, that is.)
Yeah sounds like a bug or something left over from the beta. I'm 90% sure they turned it off waiting for Yosemite (even though it was working fine between iOS devices).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

or

Handoff only works when the screen is on and the app you want to hand off are open on the source device.

The thing about only opening the app and not carrying over anything you did happens to me too. No clue why.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aphrodite posted:

Handoff only works when the screen is on and the app you want to hand off are open on the source device.

The thing about only opening the app and not carrying over anything you did happens to me too. No clue why.

All those things were true. I'm sure it'll be better in 8.1.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've only tested handoff for typing emails, but it was always successful and passing half-written emails from an iPhone to an iPad for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've only tested handoff for typing emails, but it was always successful and passing half-written emails from an iPhone to an iPad for me.

Tested. That does work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The stuff I've had it not work with are Notes and Messages. And of course Safari tabs work.

I haven't tried an email since I don't have mail setup on my iPad.

I guess it could not be fully ready until 8.1

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

various cheeses posted:

e: yeah I know it's monday, just wondering if anyone has leaked the patch notes or anything yet.

No leaked patch notes but this is something:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/17/whats-coming-in-ios-8-1/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eight Is Legend posted:

I have the same problem. I have only three apps running with background refresh turned on, Breeze, Human and Swarm. Breeze and Human are fitness trackers, but they shouldn't be running all the time (they're both iOS 8 compatible and use the M8 sensor).

But wouldn't they be running all the time? Don't they have to poll the M8 sensor every so often to see if there's data to grab?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Is there a list of participating retailers in Apple Pay yet, or do I need to freeze-frame the Apple Pay announcement from yesterday and look at the logos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

flosofl posted:

But wouldn't they be running all the time? Don't they have to poll the M8 sensor every so often to see if there's data to grab?

It probably refreshes when you actually pull up the app to save on battery. It would be insane to run *all* the time.