Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hawaiian shirt night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Where I live every lodge night is Hawaiian shirt night.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
One of my lodges does Hawaiian shirt night each July. I really kinda despise it, it's just so hokey and undignified.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I can only imagine the sheer level of outrage if anyone even came near one of our lodges wearing that. Someone wore a non-black suit once. The muttering was significant.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
There's a pretty wide variety here. One lodge I'm a member of is just polo shirt and jeans, while one lodge is mandatory tuxedos or black suits. I prefer the suits, it adds an air of importance to the whole thing.

Also I just realized that in a few months I'll (probably) be Sovereign Master of my Allied Masonic Degrees chapter. That'll be pretty neat, that means I get to put on a degree of my choosing. So far, since I've been in, I've seen Royal Ark Mariner and Excellent Master. There's so many cool old degrees out there.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Heresy! What city is this?

SoCal #529, we're pretty lax about dresscode. Tux for degrees and installations, button up and slacks or nice jeans any other time, practices are whatever because most folks come from work.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
New Hampshire is fairly lax most of the time, and we generally have a dress-down lodge night just before the summer break.

Me, personally, I prefer things more traditional, to the point that the TO lodge we have isn't traditional enough (it harkens back to the late 19th C. and the railroad days, hardly what I'd consider "traditional").

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SaNChEzZ posted:

SoCal #529, we're pretty lax about dresscode. Tux for degrees and installations, button up and slacks or nice jeans any other time, practices are whatever because most folks come from work.

Pretty much the same up north.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
All suit, all the time. Except summer. Due to the problem of this being subtropical Australia, we are allowed to wear a dress shirt and no jacket in summer so that the craft doesn't suddenly lose half its members to death or desertion come the hot season.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Thanks guys.

Also! At yesterday's stated meeting, we had a visitor (Right Worshipful Master) from the Ancient Stirling Lodge #30 in Stirling Scotland! He came all the way here (California) to pick up a masonic case that one of my brothers made for him.

Being that it was Hawaiian shirt night, we were plenty outdressed. (Not pictured, me not in a Hawaiian shirt because I do not own one)

Hmmm yes, but have you thought about what this says w/r/t reinforcing the presence of the Jungian duality in the ritual???

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Emron posted:

Hmmm yes, but have you thought about what this says w/r/t reinforcing the presence of the Jungian duality in the ritual???

It's not as important as old man humor funny shirt day?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Emron posted:

Now look what you did!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Now look what you did!

Our oldest member, who knows every line of every ritual in the book, who lives and breathes the philosophy, who can rattle off obscure stuff like the swearing in of senior steward, who is a 33rd and has served as master within each of the bodies of York, who every Mason I know aspires to be like...

He wears slippers to meetings sometimes. Because it is the internal, and not the external qualities of a man that Masonry regards.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I haven't been to lodge since moving to Hawaii but I imagine Hawaiian shirts are pretty standard.

Sithsaber posted:

It's not as important as old man humor funny shirt day?

Hmmm, quite.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Emron posted:

Our oldest member, who knows every line of every ritual in the book, who lives and breathes the philosophy, who can rattle off obscure stuff like the swearing in of senior steward, who is a 33rd and has served as master within each of the bodies of York, who every Mason I know aspires to be like...

He wears slippers to meetings sometimes. Because it is the internal, and not the external qualities of a man that Masonry regards.

There's a guy just like that at my mother lodge. He's a short white man who wears bright red suspenders, a cowboy hat, and long fuzzy pink or purple socks.

Edit: He's also a 33rd degree in the Scottish rite and knows virtually everything in the blue lodge inside out and backwards.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Background: I am a Dutch MM, living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The earlier version of this thread triggered me to finally sign up.

Over here, we have two sorts of meetings, we have the formal meetings where everyone is expected to arrive in white tie, these are for initiations and everything that follows, opening and closing of the year and some other meetings. We meet up weekly tho and because the fraternity is meant to make good men better, we practice this by having a member write and hold a lecture about something, anything goes as long as it is in the spirit of out work. This ranges from people telling about their past, their youth or the present events in the world and how this effects us masons. For these meetings we dress casual.

However, lot's of exceptions are in place. We have a few members who were initiated outside of the Netherlands and they wear a variety of tuxes, a member who is somewhat low on cash and has some physical limitations so to have a suit tailor made would be to expensive and he makes the best of it (the colors match the white tie suit), sometimes members forget there is an OL and they just show up in whatever they are wearing but give many apologies and there is this one guy who had a stroke last year and honestly we are just glad he remembers when we gather but he is no longer on this plane of consciousness and dresses accordingly (however he drat well pleases).

The weekly meetings are those where we can share a drink and chat with our brothers and this is valuable. Our lodge has a wide age range and especially in the hectic life of a 30 something I find Lodge nights to be a quiet anchor in the world.

Once a year, mostly in autumn, we have an evening for those interested. I checked, but we did not yet picked a date for this year's. If it comes up I will make a post here and it would be great to welcome some Dutchgoons who are interested in the craft.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 8, 2014

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, Keetron! I don't know if I've said it enough, but thanks.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

I might be interested in becoming a Mason mostly because of my curiosity.
What is the average age of your members , from most of the yearbook photos online members seem to be 40+?
I am currently in my early thirties so would like to know if there are many younger guys in masonry and if not why not?

Also does anybody know the Grand lode of South Africa? Are they affiliated with all the correct bodies to be considered true masons?

What is the dress code when going to a lodge meeting for the first time? Do you just dress up in suit and tie?

Link to GLSA http://www.grandlodge.co.za/

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Deadclown posted:

I might be interested in becoming a Mason mostly because of my curiosity.
What is the average age of your members , from most of the yearbook photos online members seem to be 40+?
I am currently in my early thirties so would like to know if there are many younger guys in masonry and if not why not?

Also does anybody know the Grand lode of South Africa? Are they affiliated with all the correct bodies to be considered true masons?

What is the dress code when going to a lodge meeting for the first time? Do you just dress up in suit and tie?

Link to GLSA http://www.grandlodge.co.za/

I'm 27 and in my officers' line. We have a good many young guys, but it skews older. Usually younger members are well appreciated because we help the organization to last.

At least at my lodge, business casual is fine if you're showing up for the first time. We do suits for ritual nights, with the officers in tuxes (if they can afford one).

Shasta Monster
Jan 12, 2009
Hey this thread has finally inspired me to try and join, after a couple years of putting it off.
My question is that in the next half a year I'll be moving around a lot, staying in one state no longer than 3 months. Would it be easier to just wait until I'm done moving to join, or join and then transfer over next summer?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Shasta Monster posted:

Hey this thread has finally inspired me to try and join, after a couple years of putting it off.
My question is that in the next half a year I'll be moving around a lot, staying in one state no longer than 3 months. Would it be easier to just wait until I'm done moving to join, or join and then transfer over next summer?

I would wait. The experience will be a lot better if you can go through all three degrees in the same lodge, which can be up to a year or so of a process.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I would see how long it would take your local lodge to put you through. If it's quick enough, do it, because having Lodges to visit while traveling that much can add a sense of stability and balance that is really nice. I always make a point to stop by lodges when I travel, and it helps make me feel more part of the community, or at least like I know where I'd turn in The Worst Case Scenario. If they can do your three degrees before you can move, then that would be best. I did my degree work between August and November of 2011, so not everywhere does a long wait. Many places would rather you do a degree a month, or however fast you can learn the work.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I have my first formal piece of ritual to deliver. Doing the third t.b. for our new fellow when he reaches MM.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Loomer posted:

I have my first formal piece of ritual to deliver. Doing the third t.b. for our new fellow when he reaches MM.

That can be a fun role. The old timer who does it in our lodge is over 80, but is still spry enough to deliver the goods.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The W.M. now has me doing the work of our non-extant Tyler. I think he's concerned by how much of the Lodge is old and increasingly infirm and is going to work us young devils through the offices unofficially so that we can fill any gaps that arise.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Make sure to gently caress with your junior deacon at every opportunity in meetings. That's the duty of your office.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I may have mentioned this before, but in a couple weeks, a York Rite body in my state is hosting the Grand Commander of the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, and one of the officers reached out to me to say, "hey COOLCORN, I know you write a lot about esoteric stuff, I think we'd like you to come give the educational program for the night the Grand Commander is here."

I've written plenty about the Royal Arch, the Cryptic degrees, Blue Lodge Masonry, Scottish Rite Masonry, but... man, I'm really not as much of an expert on the Commandery.

I'm... pretty nervous. Guess I've got two weeks to put something together! :ohdear: If anyone has any suggestions aside from the boring typical "Knights Templar and Banking", "Knights Templar and the Holy Grail", etc. stuff, shoot me a PM or something!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Emron posted:

Make sure to gently caress with your junior deacon at every opportunity in meetings. That's the duty of your office.

I couldn't do that, our junior deacon is an old chap. Also, I think this is a difference in jurisdiction because in UGLNSWACT and I believe the majority of all UGLE-spawned lodges, it'd be very hard for the tyler to mess with the JD as the JD is across the room in the Lodge proper, rather than at the other side of the door (which I believe is how American jurisdictions usually do it? Going off Jones' Guide and Compendium, anyway. Here, we fill that side of the role with a dedicated officer - the I.G., with the T alternately known as the O.G. with obvious derivation) and is not responsible for responding to alarms, etc.

Oh, and it's official. I'm now the lodge's official unofficial tyler, despite not having served as a steward. Here, that's not such a big deal as we don't do table service at the South so the major role of the Steward is not in place and it's really just a rung of additional learning and tutelage. Worth doing if there's time, but with the loss of one of our best ritualists coming soon (poor bugger has lung cancer, spreading rapidly, and no longer has the breath to do the FCF TB) and the realistic chance that half the lodge won't make it out of the next five years, going to those offices with ritual work seems to be a higher priority.

I'm fortunate enough to be in one of the finest lodges in the region, ritual-wise, even with the old fellas stumbling over the work from time to time. The collective age of the lodge is over a thousand years and the average age is about 80. Half my brethren have served as grand lodge officers at one point or another, or been in the chair multiple times. Many have developed idiosyncracies that are worth preserving; e.g. the WM here will come down to greet visiting masons which I'm told has become unusual, but which is to my eye a wholly appropriate deviation from the norm for a society based on brotherhood and affection.

I couldn't ask for a better company of brothers to learn the ritual and the responsibilities of the offices from, and my only fear is that before we can get another few members, we'll drop below the numbers needed to stay in operation. This fear is shared by our WM, and for good reason, but so far we're on a course to just survive if they don't all die in the next couple of years. The real problem there will be the lack of experienced officers and a lack of anyone with the experience needed to serve as a decent W.M., unless we borrow one of the younger chaps from a nearby lodge for that purpose. There's a minimum of seven years yet before any of us young fellows can be in the chair, and that's assuming we both desire to and are able to do so.

Well, strictly speaking, we could do away with five of those years as the constitutions of the UGLNSWACT only require that a WM have served as a warden for a year, but that's not a desirable outcome. If you don't know the work for the JW, SW, JD, and SD, you'll struggle as the WM. IG and OG are perhaps less vital. Whatever it takes to keep the Lodge running we'll do, but I really hope neither I nor our presently serving steward (who has a year of seniority on me, but rarely attends lodge) have to skip any of the offices.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 16, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So I'm learning the last lecture I have left to do, the EA. There's a point in it where (without revealing anything here) I talk about [a thing] "embordered by two parallel perpendicular lines." Aren't those opposites? The imagery is clearly two parallel lines. Am I missing something here?

Edit: my WM's explanation: parallel to each other, perpendicular to the line from the point in the center to where they touch [the thing]

Emron fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 16, 2014

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Emron posted:

So I'm learning the last lecture I have left to do, the EA. There's a point in it where (without revealing anything here) I talk about [a thing] "embordered by two parallel perpendicular lines." Aren't those opposites? The imagery is clearly two parallel lines. Am I missing something here?

Imagine that the two parallel lines are perpendicular to a third segment "below" them and oriented east - west if they're oriented north - south. If your lecture includes reference to the Sts J., imagine that they need a place to stand.

Put another way, if you were to land a Tie Fighter on the deck of a spaceship, the wings would be parallel to each other and perpendicular to the deck. I'm aware that Tie Fighters are generally held in racks and don't usually land on a deck, go with the analogy.

This is only relevant as a mnemonic aid though and I can't tell you why it is interpreted as such, despite that being one of my favorite symbols. I usually imagine it being drawn on a flat plane with the compasses.

edit: grammar.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 16, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I like that, too. That's a symbol that is surprisingly deep in its varied interpretations. I'd love to take it to pm if you'd like to nerd out about it.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Emron posted:

I like that, too. That's a symbol that is surprisingly deep in its varied interpretations. I'd love to take it to pm if you'd like to nerd out about it.

Digging around a bit, Mackey's interpretation of it is very... Mackey, but the Masonic Service Associations short talk bulletin on the subject is really good and touches upon the relevant geometry. I've sent the text of that by PM.

I've really got to get our lodge reading more of the Short Talk bulletins, they're a really good place to start a discussion.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Last night I returned to lodge.

About 16 months ago I attempted to demit from the Fraternity I was talked out of it by a good friend and PM of the lodge. He told me to just take a break away let the dust settle on the big kerfluffle that had the lodge all up in arms at the time. I was so fed up at seeing how trivial issues could have brothers acting this way and came to the determination that this was not the tradition I was initiated into.

Over the past 16 months, there have been many missed calls a few emails and IM's over facebook. But I woke up yesterday and realized it was stated meeting night. For some reason I said gently caress it i am going to go. We open at 730 but always have dinner at 6 after my last appointment for work I ended up the area around 530 parked about 2 blocks away and honestly I have no idea why but I was full of anxiety. It was not 100% negative, but it reminded me when I was waiting for my first meeting to become and EA.

After about 45 minutes later I drove back to the lodge and headed up the stairs. A few new faces and a couple familiar were there when i walked in. I am not sure what i was expecting but 3 or 4 guys out right hugged me upon seeing me back.

Dinner was chili (regretful decision to have 2 bowls) and it was immediately like old times, the good times. One comment from our SW stood out the most as to what this brotherhood is about, "John my dad drove up from TN today and is here with me for the first time in a year, but the fact that you are here means more to me than anything, I have freaking goosebumps." He proved it in an awkward brotherly way.

Meeting was another stated meeting with a nice presentation on one of our traditions. As i sat, observed and participated in business from the side I realized this was the first time since being raised that I was able to have a totally stress free meeting, I felt at home.

The reason dawned on me about half way through the meeting. The was the first time since being raised that i was on the sidelines. You see as a young MM I was enthusiastic and zealous so i was tapped immediately to fill the SD chair that was left vacant around the same time as my raising. I accepted and was honored at the position from the get go without knowing exactly what i was getting myself into.

Meeting adjourned and as Masonic law dictates we promptly gathered in the basement lounge of the bar across the street. Much laughter and discussion was had. And more importantly I was able to have a long conversation with the brother (Our next year's WM) who talked me out of demitting and the WM at the time who tapped me into the chair. No ill will was present just laughter hugs and an agreement, that I would be an active member of the lodge again under the condition that I was given sufficient time to learn the craft without the added pressure of a chair.

I have never felt this whole in a 16 months.

TL:DR I am poo poo at telling stories, and The Craft is good, stay with it.

Also I am still hung over.

Some Zero fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm actually getting ready to show up to lodge for the first time in over a year myself thanks to a change in my job schedule. I know I won't have that positive of an experience, but I'll just take a positive one. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes it really can be.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've just realized why our WM has thrown me in as Tyler. We have a first degree next month and in UGLNSWACT jurisdiction, it is the tyler's job to make sure the new fella fits the MOP. No tyler is something we can skate by with for regular meetings but not for initiations!

Incidentally, any advice on what to say to a new fella while he's waiting from those with more experience? I've barely been a mason a year and a half at this point so I honestly have no clue what I'm doing (though I do have the ritual memorized already, at least.)

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Loomer posted:

I've just realized why our WM has thrown me in as Tyler. We have a first degree next month and in UGLNSWACT jurisdiction, it is the tyler's job to make sure the new fella fits the MOP. No tyler is something we can skate by with for regular meetings but not for initiations!

Incidentally, any advice on what to say to a new fella while he's waiting from those with more experience? I've barely been a mason a year and a half at this point so I honestly have no clue what I'm doing (though I do have the ritual memorized already, at least.)

"Just listen and pay attention, enjoy it. You only get to go through it once from this side" is what we normally tell guys.

Brimmstone
Mar 10, 2007

GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!
You're getting ready to experience something that every guy sitting in that room has gone through. From the 50+ year brother on down. Just take it all in.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It ate my dang post. Stupid tablet.

I keep encountering references in my reading to american masons wearing cloth aprons rather than their lambskin ones. Is this true? Such would be unthinkable here.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 21, 2014

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
We wear cloth ones to meetings, though we have a lambskin one. (Michigan Mason reporting in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

KillianLett posted:

We wear cloth ones to meetings, though we have a lambskin one. (Michigan Mason reporting in)

Why don't you just wear your real apron to the meeting? Here, every mason, from the EAF to the MM, wears a lambskin apron. Always lambskin, never synthetic or cloth. Wear a cloth apron to Lodge and they'd kick you right out for not having your regalia, or give you one of the Lodge's aprons (usually aprons of deceased members).