Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

At one point they were showing like 70,000 hours of poker in prime time. Gigantic blocks of programming devoted to math dorks who got beat up all the time in high school wearing sunglasses and trying to look cool.

Remember when ESPN Classic went from showing things like "top 25 Tyson knockouts!" and "the 1982 Pitt-Penn State game" to ESPNPOKER literally overnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

Remember when ESPN Classic went from showing things like "top 25 Tyson knockouts!" and "the 1982 Pitt-Penn State game" to ESPNPOKER literally overnight?

Extreme Sports
NASCAR
Poker
UFC

I remember all four of those being talked about as having the ability to overtake the NFL in popularity or at least being talked about as replacing one of the "Big 4".

...and then the bubble would burst and it was onto the next "Big thing".

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I think its NBC sports network that has antique car auctions on sunday mornings. Caught it last week and it was a glorious 5 minutes before I got bored

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Extreme Sports
NASCAR
Poker
UFC

I remember all four of those being talked about as having the ability to overtake the NFL in popularity or at least being talked about as replacing one of the "Big 4".

...and then the bubble would burst and it was onto the next "Big thing".

UFC sure did obliterate boxing though. Although boxing might not have needed the help.

One time I was at the laundromat and one of the TVs was on a car auction. There were these four positively ancient black guys just going mental over it. Never seen anything quite like it before. Normally I go on monday or thursday and end up watch wrestling with the Hispanic guys in their Tapout shirts.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

the culminator posted:

I think its NBC sports network that has antique car auctions on sunday mornings. Caught it last week and it was a glorious 5 minutes before I got bored

Mecum and Barrett-Jackson can be kind of interesting if you have some remote knowledge of the cars they're talking about.

But it can, yes, be kind of boring to watch as well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NBCSN has a good deal with hockey and Premier League. They could air literal grass growing in the rest of their timeslots as long as those two sports keep bringing in viewers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
hockey's doing what now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

UFC sure did obliterate boxing though. Although boxing might not have needed the help.
And now the UFC is doing its best to obliterate itself.

OrangeKing posted:

Chess, on occasion when I was in college (which was cool by me, being a chess guy), but I suppose there's at least some tradition of that getting sports coverage dating back to the Fischer days.
In the 50's and 60's, chess masters and Jai Alai players would occasionally be treated like a big deal.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hell, Bobby Fischer was such a big deal he got a movie made about him. I can't remember the last time chess got media attention, other than that one time a supercomputer beat that one guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Those Magic broadcasts owned. A lot.

e: ^^^ Garry Kasparov, presumably

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Really what I was saying is that Jai Alai needs to make a comeback.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Crazy Ted posted:

Really what I was saying is that Jai Alai needs to make a comeback.

Isn't the entire game rigged for gambling purposes?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh probably. I grew up in Miami and those places were just excuses to gamble legally.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

Isn't the entire game rigged for gambling purposes?

Isn't that basically every sport ever? :v:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh probably. I grew up in Miami and those places were just excuses to gamble legally.

Yeah I've spent a fair amount of time in Miami and wanted to go gamble on Jai Alai once and my buddy told me I wouldn't win and there was some kind of "system" if you knew the game that made it entirely rigged. I played dice with strangers in a bar instead.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Benne posted:

Hell, Bobby Fischer was such a big deal he got a movie made about him. I can't remember the last time chess got media attention, other than that one time a supercomputer beat that one guy whose name escapes me at the moment.

"Searching for Bobby Fischer" was not actually about Bobby Fischer. Also, Bobby Fischer was a crazy rear end in a top hat IRL which is sad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

"Searching for Bobby Fischer" was not actually about Bobby Fischer. Also, Bobby Fischer was a crazy rear end in a top hat IRL which is sad.
Crazy is putting it lightly. However, it seems as though in order to live life as a chess Grandmaster you have to eventually end up going nuts or developing very odd behaviors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like running for office against Putin.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

zakharov posted:

Crazy Ted posted:

Crazy is putting it lightly. However, it seems as though in order to live life as a chess Grandmaster you have to eventually end up going nuts or developing very odd behaviors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Kasparov#Politics hmm

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zakharov posted:

However, there's a good HBO documentary about him called Bobby Fisher Versus the World.

At least I think that's what it's called. If you don't know anything about Bobby Fisher, check it out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Chess requires a ridiculous attention to detail if you want to be any good at it. It's not surprising that most of the top players are autistic weirdos.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it was Bobby Fischer Goes To War that was a good book about him? Not a full biography, I think, but a really good look at the international interest in the Spassky-Fischer matches.

Also, there's Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games, which is usually called one of the best chess books ever written, but I'm not sure how interesting it'd be to someone who doesn't have any chess experience.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Alain Post posted:

I think it was Bobby Fischer Goes To War that was a good book about him? Not a full biography, I think, but a really good look at the international interest in the Spassky-Fischer matches.

It's a pretty solid read. There are several Fischer movies, some of which are okay, some of which are bad, and one of which features him talking to the ghost of his dead father and goes on for like an hour too long.

There are a lot fewer crazy grandmasters these days, which may have a lot to do with the fact that thanks to computers, the best players now accomplish more in a few hours of study than players in previous generations could do in sessions twice as long. Not zero crazy grandmasters, mind you, but less.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like running for office against Putin.

Garry Kasparov is a Russian national hero. It would be like if Derek Jeter announced his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

In the 50's and 60's, chess masters and Jai Alai players would occasionally be treated like a big deal.

I loved the Jai Alai plot in Mad Men. So deliciously off the wall.

Never seemed like a good spectator sport to me, though. Like trying to watch people play a faster, bigger, more lethaler squash.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Never seemed like a good spectator sport to me, though. Like trying to watch people play a faster, bigger, more lethaler squash.

Isn't there some ridiculously big gambling that goes on with Jai Alai? I swear I once read about how it's one of the most heavily bet upon sports in the world.

That's one really simple way to make you super interested in something.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Fun fact: Ariaga, Bariaga, Ariaga II, Aruglia, and Pizozza were jai alai players

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't there some ridiculously big gambling that goes on with Jai Alai? I swear I once read about how it's one of the most heavily bet upon sports in the world.

That's one really simple way to make you super interested in something.

Yeah, one of my friends went all the time when she was in Miami.

Just seems like it's hard to see!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

OrangeKing posted:

It's a pretty solid read. There are several Fischer movies, some of which are okay, some of which are bad, and one of which features him talking to the ghost of his dead father and goes on for like an hour too long.

There are a lot fewer crazy grandmasters these days, which may have a lot to do with the fact that thanks to computers, the best players now accomplish more in a few hours of study than players in previous generations could do in sessions twice as long. Not zero crazy grandmasters, mind you, but less.

Theres a chess grandmaster that streams on Twitch.tv. It's really cool to watch him destroy multiple people at once and play games in less than a few minutes in some kind of weird super fast chess league while explaining his reasoning. He also posts stuff on youtube though he's been doing less streaming of late. I think his first name is Jerry :shrug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Schefter just tweeted the list of NFL games CBS and Fox are protecting from being selected for Sunday Night games. Kinda neat

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I'm just gonna come out and say it.

I enjoy Matt Millen as a commentator.

:sweatdrop:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://deadspin.com/comcast-decides-world-series-is-perfect-time-for-emerge-1649660909

Trivia: Did you know that EAS Tests are not allowed to happen during live "Championship" sporting events?

quote:

Additionally, an RMT should not be scheduled or conducted during an event of great importance such as a pre-announced Presidential speech, coverage of a national/local election, major local or national news coverage outside regularly scheduled newscast hours or a major sporting event such as the Olympic Games, the FIFA World Cup, the Super Bowl, the Stanley Cup Finals, the NBA Finals, WrestleMania, or the World Series as mentioned in individual EAS state plans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://deadspin.com/comcast-decides-world-series-is-perfect-time-for-emerge-1649660909

Trivia: Did you know that EAS Tests are not allowed to happen during live "Championship" sporting events?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

I love how the World Series is listed last, after Wrestlemania.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I love how the World Series is listed last, after Wrestlemania.
I guarantee you that if an EAS test interrupted Wrestlemania multiple people would end up dead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well you do get 4 to 7 World Series games, so missing a minute of Wrestlemania would be a more significant impact.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is interesting but alarming. The terrorists can win if they plan their dastardly deeds around championship events. Are tornado warnings also off limits?

Sorry yer house flipped through 6 counties, but didja see Peyton get rolled by Seattle? Oh wait you probably didn't... it was pretty cool, you should have been there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

This is interesting but alarming. The terrorists can win if they plan their dastardly deeds around championship events. Are tornado warnings also off limits?

Sorry yer house flipped through 6 counties, but didja see Peyton get rolled by Seattle? Oh wait you probably didn't... it was pretty cool, you should have been there.

Test=/=Activation.

If we were on the verge of a Nuclear War during the Super Bowl (in which case I would think people would be a little on edge in terms of playing a game), then yeah, it would be activated regardless.

If there is a tornado in your area while you're watching The Stanley Cup? Then yes, you would indeed miss the game you were watching for it to be activated.

A Test is something that a station/cable system is required to do weekly/monthly. They usually do them around 1-3 am Monday when most people are asleep.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Can you even do an EAS test on pay-per-view?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

It says it right in his post: tests cannot be done over championship events. Obviously, if there was a tornado bearing down on your place of residence the EAS would cut in as there's a good chance you'd lose power and possibly your place of residence in short order and thus wouldn't be able to watch the game anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Oh... nevermind then.
I.CANT.READ. :downs: