Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I had this too. You have to first restore the phone, then restore from backup, and then resync your media. It's a total pain in the rear end, but this is how I fixed it a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Argh, I'm sure that the early v12 of iTunes made the minimum width go up as I've had to do a fair chunk of desktop rearranging to make it all work again (27" iMac and I like having Safari, Messages, iTunes etc all on my screen at once in a grid). All is good, now the new version has changed again... minimum width has gone down, but minimum width to display the volume control has gone up. Bah! Might have to do some prodding to see if I can remove the (to me) useless AirPlay icon and put the volume slider back there.

(Optical out means I can't use hotkeys to change system vol up/down, it was a useful kill when something came on too loud).

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
This issue has been bugging me for a while, but is there any reason why iTunes sometimes puts random tracks from your purchases into different directories than the rest of it? For example, when I buy an album with 10 tracks, this happens:

- iTunes downloads all but track 4 into the directory iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\<Album>
- Track 4 is present in iTunes, but clicking on it results in the "file not found, do you want to find it?" dialog box.
- After some searching, track 4 is found in a random iTunes folder (Usually iTunes\iTunes Media, but it sometimes ends up in another album folder.

This happens every so often, and to different tracks of different albums. It's frustrating to have to find it, especially if the file somehow magically ends up in a different album folder.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only thing I can think of there is the "Compilation" tag for any song, and that will push it into the /Compilations/ALBUMNAME/" folder. It shouldn't lose track of it, and shouldn't put it into some other artist's folder. Are you editing the ID3 tags in some way from something outside of iTunes?

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

IUG posted:

The only thing I can think of there is the "Compilation" tag for any song, and that will push it into the /Compilations/ALBUMNAME/" folder. It shouldn't lose track of it, and shouldn't put it into some other artist's folder. Are you editing the ID3 tags in some way from something outside of iTunes?

iTunes does this behavior immediately after purchasing-- that is, before I edit tags/convert to MP3/etc. I don't know that a file is "missing" until I play it for the first time after buying the album.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, I never buy music through them, so this is why I didn't think of that. v:v:v

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I went ahead and restored my iPhone again, and not restoring from a backup. Made sure "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" and "Sync with this Phone over Wi-Fi" is off.

Played a song on my phone, synced and got one play. Played the song again, synced.. three plays. :suicide:

EDIT: I didn't see the "restore from backup" portion of IUG's earlier post before doing this. I will restore my iphone again and restore from a backup.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

astr0man posted:

Bumping this again from the last page, but sub-sorting in albums view is back in the current 12.0 beta. Still not sure why it disappeared in the last version but I guess they were planning on getting rid of the "view options" thing anyways so maybe thats why.
While you can do sub-sorting in local iTunes libraries, this doesn't show up for remote libraries through Home Sharing. I normally can't manage playlists through that anyway, but if they're trying to blend remote iTunes libraries and local ones, they're not doing the best job of it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
This time I restored and used a backup, still the same problem.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

I just bought iTunes Match and it simply won't go past Step 2, where it's meant to do the actual matching with iTunes Store songs. I've stopped and restarted the process quite a few times now but it always hangs after a certain number of songs and just gets stuck. I've turned on Genius, updated it, turned Match on and off, but no dice.

Suggestions?

E: Boy this thing is kind of a piece of poo poo, really. Still no dice, I left it running for five hours and it got stuck again. The light on the external HDD (where my library is) even stopped flickering it seems.

E2: Contacted support and we came to the conclusion that it must be a file that makes the whole thing get fuckered and they told me to check the iTunes process to see what ports and files were in use and it does indeed show file by file what iTunes Match is doing, but the thing is that once it inevitably gets stuck on something, it continues going through the tracks one by one in the processes window but not matching them and the progress bar or song numbers don't move. So it's like it's stuck but doesn't know it. And it's impossible to know what file is the culprit because they scroll by so quickly and the progress bar updates like every five seconds minimum and it's drat near impossible to look at it and determine whether or not it's stuck or just doing its thing.

I cannot believe they didn't include something like iTunes coming across a file that is corrupted or otherwise faulty and skipping it and saying afterwards what files were somehow causing problems. Seriously? How hard is it to include something like that?

E3: Well, sorted it out by turning off Match, deleting my entire iTunes library (not the files) and adding everything back album by album and syncing Match after adding each one and after two days (:suicide:) I'm done. Every last track is matched and good to go. It's still a pile of poo poo for not working because of every small thing, but thus concludes my battle with iTunes Match.

Currently going through exactly this,about to implement his solution but figured I would ask if in the months since if any better solutions exist.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dennis Eckersley posted:

This time I restored and used a backup, still the same problem.

Something else might be causing it on iOS itself. I can't figure out exactly what, but I noticed that half of an album I've played only twice is showing that I've played it three times. The odd thing is, the songs that are marked as 3 plays doesn't seem to have any correlation, other than they are the last 4 tracks of the album. I think that it's from the last time I played the album last week, as I played them yesterday in shuffle order, and these weren't the last 4 tracks I played.

I'm going to see how my other new album I'm playing today will fare. They're currently at 2 plays each track, so after today it should be 3. I must have missed when and why it counted twice last week for the album I played again yesterday.

Hopefully iOS 8.1 solves this. 8 has been buggy poo poo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a accepted method of cleaning up tracks now? My wife added her stuff to our collection and a lot of it isn't tagged properly. I usually use MP3Tag and occasionally MusicBrainz to get the information I need but something I can fire and forget would be better.

MusicBrainz also has the weird habit of attributing tracks to big compliations when there's only 1 song from the artist it sees without an album name.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Holy poo poo, I just noticed that at some point iTunes removed the 'iCloud Status' field. I can choose it as an option for a smart playlist but in my actual library the column is called 'iCloud Download' which simply appears to show if I can download it or not. As far as I can tell there's now no way to tell which tracks are matched and which are simply uploaded.

I hadn't finished replacing my library with higher-quality matched versions and well I guess Apple decided they didn't want people doing that because :dong:
Christ, I loving hate iTunes.

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a accepted method of cleaning up tracks now? My wife added her stuff to our collection and a lot of it isn't tagged properly. I usually use MP3Tag and occasionally MusicBrainz to get the information I need but something I can fire and forget would be better.

MusicBrainz also has the weird habit of attributing tracks to big compliations when there's only 1 song from the artist it sees without an album name.
I've been meaning to try the method outlined here for a while, but I guess it probably won't work now. It drives me absolutely nuts that there's no way to update matched songs with Apple's ID3 information :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

TACD posted:

Holy poo poo, I just noticed that at some point iTunes removed the 'iCloud Status' field. I can choose it as an option for a smart playlist but in my actual library the column is called 'iCloud Download' which simply appears to show if I can download it or not. As far as I can tell there's now no way to tell which tracks are matched and which are simply uploaded.

Are you using the iTunes 12 beta? In 11.4 I can still add the iCloud Status field to my library.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's still there in iTunes 12

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This time, for real, when 12 comes out, I'll either update the OP or make a new topic. I don't know anything about iCloud or Match however. Is there anything that I should add to the OP, besides working pictures?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Last Chance posted:

It's still there in iTunes 12

Yeah it's there for me in 12 as well. You have to 2-finger click (right click) the columns in "songs" view to get the column choices thing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Smart playlists I make on iTunes aren't showing up on my iPhone 6. Googling says my best bet is to turn off Match then sync it manually then turn it back on. This so far has been the solution to everything I want to do. I'm starting to think maybe I should have skipped Match. Am I missing something obvious here?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
"Regular" smart playlists should show up, but from what I recall smart playlists with a rule that references other smart playlists won't.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sextro posted:

Currently going through exactly this,about to implement his solution but figured I would ask if in the months since if any better solutions exist.
Just an update on that, I've since moved my entire library from the external HDD to the Mac's own HDD and Match seems to have fewer issues overall, though it still bitches about a lot of songs and refuses to add them/stops on them. Sometimes converting the file from, say, mp3 to m4a helps.

iOS8 has a weird issue related to Match, though; there's no way to delete songs it has downloaded for play. iOS7 had a "Music" option in the "Usage" part of the storage settings under General but now it's gone for some reason. I know for a fact there are a few hundred megs worth of stuff there that I'd like to get rid of for space but Music simply isn't listed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Stare-Out posted:

iOS8 has a weird issue related to Match, though; there's no way to delete songs it has downloaded for play. iOS7 had a "Music" option in the "Usage" part of the storage settings under General but now it's gone for some reason. I know for a fact there are a few hundred megs worth of stuff there that I'd like to get rid of for space but Music simply isn't listed.
Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage (under the Storage, not iCloud, section) - tap on the Music app in the app list? (lol, today this crashes my Settings app).

Alternatively, in the Music app, try swiping right to left on a song that's downloaded, should see a Delete button.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The first thing is exactly what I was talking about, but today after using my iPhone to listen to music again, the Music app did in fact appear on the list but claims it only takes like 5 megs instead of whatever hundreds it has to take right now (plus at least another 150+ megs from today alone), and yeah, selecting it crashes Settings. :downs:

There's no way I want to do it manually one by one for the 100 songs minimum I've listened to since iOS8 came out. Guess I'll just have to wait for another system update and keep an eye out for how much space I have left.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

astr0man posted:

Yeah it's there for me in 12 as well. You have to 2-finger click (right click) the columns in "songs" view to get the column choices thing.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong then. iTunes > About says 'iTunes 12.0.0 140'

Edit: Oh, I'm an idiot. I'd done a clean install of Yosemite and hadn't yet added this machine to iTunes Match. :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TACD fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 11, 2014

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iTunes 12 is out now, for both Mac and Windows. I think we should increment the version in the thread title.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was going to make a new topic, as the OP is way out of date and full of dead images. No one answered when I asked if anything new should be put in the OP though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The OP should consist of only a single, gigantic :argh:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Honestly, I don't think anyone actually reads megathread OPs once they're more than a week old, so I say don't overthink it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I don't like the new icon. :(

Otherwise, it feels snappier (on Windows no less!) and I like the new flattened look.

"Recently added" is nice, even if I have always had a smart playlist that did the same thing.

Time to see if Wifi sync finally works (unlikely).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Once, just once I would like to be able to install an iTunes update without having to manually download, manually remove, and manually install.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Goober Peas posted:

Once, just once I would like to be able to install an iTunes update without having to manually download, manually remove, and manually install.

Why do you have to do this?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
This is something that shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

I have 2145 songs in my iTunes library which is an exact match with my songs in iTunes Match. This pleases me.

When I sync all my music in iTunes, I tick the box and it tells me it will sync 2145 songs. All good.

Except, only 2144 songs sync to my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm running iTunes 12.01, 10.10 release, and 8.1 beta.

Is there an easy way I can find out what song isn't synching?

edit: This happened under 8.0.2 as well. I don't think it's a 'beta' thing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The iTunes Match page is pretty much the only thing that looks exactly as it did before in v.12. I'm getting the strangest feeling that they're not really focusing on Match too much.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

binarysmurf posted:

This is something that shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

I have 2145 songs in my iTunes library which is an exact match with my songs in iTunes Match. This pleases me.

When I sync all my music in iTunes, I tick the box and it tells me it will sync 2145 songs. All good.

Except, only 2144 songs sync to my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm running iTunes 12.01, 10.10 release, and 8.1 beta.

Is there an easy way I can find out what song isn't synching?

edit: This happened under 8.0.2 as well. I don't think it's a 'beta' thing.
This used to drive me nuts. I finally realized that the extra "song" was actually a digital booklet thingy that came with a purchased iTunes album. This was on an iPod classic - not sure if the same thing would happen on an iPhone, but it wouldn't surprise me!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Minidust posted:

This used to drive me nuts. I finally realized that the extra "song" was actually a digital booklet thingy that came with a purchased iTunes album. This was on an iPod classic - not sure if the same thing would happen on an iPhone, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Thanks for the reply. :) I've had the problem you describe and the status bar down the bottom changes to 'xxxx items' when there are non-music files in your library, rather than 'xxxx songs'. I'm fairly sure that it's a song that isn't being synced. :(

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

binarysmurf posted:

Thanks for the reply. :) I've had the problem you describe and the status bar down the bottom changes to 'xxxx items' when there are non-music files in your library, rather than 'xxxx songs'. I'm fairly sure that it's a song that isn't being synced. :(

I found it! There was a file in my library '01 Wake up Call' as well as 'Wake up Call', both by Maroon 5, with the former not being synched. Some sort of iTunes Match discrepancy. I deleted '01 Wake up Call' from both my library and iCloud. Everything is copacetic.

loving iTunes. :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The people at itunes knew that I hated having to turn on the sidebar after every update so they helpfully removed the sidebar feature. :downs:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Stare-Out posted:

The iTunes Match page is pretty much the only thing that looks exactly as it did before in v.12. I'm getting the strangest feeling that they're not really focusing on Match too much.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Match was something that they lost interest in as soon as it came out. There was nowhere for it to evolve in terms of features, and they've made any attempt to resolve or speak to the many bugs. Maybe it was just a trial balloon to see if itunes users would be comfortable streaming.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

The people at itunes knew that I hated having to turn on the sidebar after every update so they helpfully removed the sidebar feature. :downs:

Edit: I also love having to factory restore my iphone and then restore it from backup a few times a month because whenever I add or remove music or apps they wind up staying on the phone instead of being deleted. And having to do that a second time if the music got corrupted while being restored to the phone.

Edit 2: Quote does not equal edit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RandomPauI posted:

Does it show up if you choose Playlist view?

On my Mac, at least, if on the top row I choose Music on the left, Playlists in the middle, and Songs in the right dropdown, it looks pretty much the same as the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It shows a sidebar, but not one that has everything on it. So they added an extra step AND reduced functionality at the same time.