Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah. The initial idea was that the husband is homicidal and cancels his DRO subscription as a prelude to murder and the woman's DRO, which she contracted to see to her safety and such, offers to remove her from the situation and relocate her. She says "no, I'm good, I'd rather stay with my homicidal husband who is making plans to kill me" so they drop her. Goons are incapable of parsing motivation or context so we end up in this argument.

No no, the initial idea was if the husband is homicidal he will cancel his DRO subscription as a prelude to murder, and then the wife will be taken to safety by her DRO because their protocol is the same no matter the reason her husband lost coverage: require all of their customers to no longer deal with him, and convey his family away forever. If he is homicidal, this does protect her, but if he's not and coverage lapsed for some other reason (bounced check, premium increase made it unaffordable, he complained or filed a claim that was too expensive so they dropped him), whatever bitch who gives a poo poo, you and your children get in the van or we'll declare you in breach of contract for exposing us to liability by your proximity to an unperson! Security's already on the way to evict you from your apartment for failure to maintain DRO responsibility and the names are about to go out to every business in town, so what's up you gonna be on that list or are you gonna be a smart girl and abandon your marriage?

Libertopia would be absurdly tyrannical even if DRO's perfectly adhered to the NAP and didn't become mafia outfits (they would become mafia outfits).

wateroverfire posted:

Cap land is just pretty different. If I don't want to pay a given DRO I can contract a different one. If I don't want to pay the US Government I have no alternative.

If the US government decided to become a NAP-observing Libertarian DRO tomorrow, there would still be no alternative because it would be impossible to start a new DRO for the same reason it would be impossible to start a new DRO in any ancap world. The existing DROs wouldn't recognize you so you'd have no way to enforce your judgments and no way to attract customers (they'd be unpersoned for signing a contract with you), at least until you became powerful enough to win wars against them and enforce your court orders on your own anyway then it'd finally be in their interest to make arbitration agreements with you.

About the only chance to form a new DRO would be to become head of an enforcement wing in an existing one and then break off to start your own with enough of their assets to make you a formidable force. And even then, we all know how well that went when Dixie DRO tried it in 1860...

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

wateroverfire posted:

Yeah. The initial idea was that the husband is homicidal and cancels his DRO subscription as a prelude to murder and the woman's DRO, which she contracted to see to her safety and such, offers to remove her from the situation and relocate her. She says "no, I'm good, I'd rather stay with my homicidal husband who is making plans to kill me" so they drop her. Goons are incapable of parsing motivation or context so we end up in this argument.

So how do you quit a DRO without triggering unpersonhood? Like say I just decided I don't want any DRO. How do I quit my DRO without being forced to divorce my wife who still wants a DRO or being unable to do trade with my neighbor who is a DRO member but trusts me entirely and wants to trade with me? In the example, the husbands unpersonhood was triggered by the husband quitting the DRO, not showing any active malice or criminal intent to the wife.

Also remember that answers like "If you want freedom from DROs, go live alone in the woods" is not a valid answer just as "If you want Libertopia, go live in Somalia" is not a valid answer to the AnCap. If fleeing to Somalia isn't good enough for JRod, you have to explain to me how I can stay in the home I'm currently in and live life unmolested while still maintaining my freedom of association and not giving my money at gunpoint to DROs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

:ironicat:

Why is it that the husband must be homicidal? What if he's cancelling DRO coverage for literally any other reason unrelated to homicidal urges? What if his DRO cancelled coverage because he missed several payments? What if the husband cancelled coverage because he thought that he was now covered by a different DRO, but forgot that his new coverage doesn't kick in for 2 more weeks? The same safeguards kick in with the assumption that he's going to commit crimes, even if the wife is in no actual danger

quote:

"Do what we say or we'll kill you" is extortion.
"Do what we say or we'll allow you to come to some harm we have the duty and power to prevent" is extortion.

This is neither of those things. The DRO can't preemptively kill her husband. It can't detain him. It can't really actively prevent him from doing anything since that wouldn't be AnCapish (which is dumb, but that's not relevant to this hypothetical). What it can do is move her out of harm's way, so it offers to do that. She refuses and they drop her, because wtf else are they going to do?

Making her move or forcing her into a situation where she'll starve to death is what is happening here, which is item 2 in your list of things that are extortion. In ancap libertopia, literally no one will do business with her unless she agrees to do what her DRO says.

Furthermore, if they do believe that the husband is planning to kill her, then that also falls under item two: "Do what we say or we'll allow your husband to kill you, which we could prevent but won't unless you do what we say"

wateroverfire posted:

AnCap land is just pretty different. If I don't want to pay a given DRO I can contract a different one. If I don't want to pay the US Government I have no alternative.

You could emigrate. It's not like the "choices" in AnCap land are going to be much different. The DRO owns the land on which you live, including your house (much like an HOA), so contracting to *someone else* is purely at the discretion of the DRO (who is going to say no). Surely you wouldn't violate someone else's property rights, so your only choice is to pack up and leave, hopefully selling your DRO contract to someone else

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ancap land is also impossibly stupid and will never happen.
I would argue that it happens and has happened a bunch of times, it's just called a humanitarian crisis.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Weird that all of the DROs in Somalia are so bad at respecting the NAP. Surely there's a grand untapped market there of customers unsatisfied with such poor service, just waiting for a brilliant Libertarian entrepreneur to swoop in and start raking in the cash!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

VitalSigns posted:

Libertopia would be absurdly tyrannical even if DRO's perfectly adhered to the NAP and didn't become mafia outfits (they would become mafia outfits).

For a second I took your meaning of "mafia outfits" to be a bit more literal and imagined them all in stereotypical gangster wear. I guess it would be one possible dress code!

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Weird that all of the DROs in Somalia are so bad at respecting the NAP. Surely there's a grand untapped market there of customers unsatisfied with such poor service, just waiting for a brilliant Libertarian entrepreneur to swoop in and start raking in the cash!

They all have poor time preferences.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

They all have poorblack time preferences.

drat, you're right. There goes that dream.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

drat, you're right. There goes that dream.

No, no, see that means that Somalia is perfect for a glorious white man intrepid entrepreneur like you to swoop in with your high time preference and enslave them show them the light.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Holy hell. I just realized that "time preference" is CPT. That's no good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Holy hell. I just realized that "time preference" is CPT. That's no good.

Well it is important to remember that time preference is actually a very real economic concept. It is a way of describing why someone would prefer to be paid $10 right now, instead of $15 tomorrow. The difference is that libertarians have a really, really awful tendency of trying to use time preference to explain why poor people, and minorities in particular, are poor. Because they have poor time preference and thus don't save for the future.

It can be a useful concept when you're not using it to try and explain away unequal racial outcomes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Caros posted:

Well it is important to remember that time preference is actually a very real economic concept. It is a way of describing why someone would prefer to be paid $10 right now, instead of $15 tomorrow. The difference is that libertarians have a really, really awful tendency of trying to use time preference to explain why poor people, and minorities in particular, are poor. Because they have poor time preference and thus don't save for the future.

It can be a useful concept when you're not using it to try and explain away unequal racial outcomes.

Well, there's also the issue of "time preference" being a lovely explanation for the choice between having money tomorrow and actually getting to eat something (or if that's not your style, some other critical expense that can't be delayed - medical bill, auto repair in a city with no public transit, and so on) today, even before you get into the racial aspect.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Time preference is (a part of) an explanation for why the poor stay poor, not for why they are poor in the first place. A poor man who is out of work needs a job right now to pay the bills, even if waiting would allow him to make more money overall. A rich man is in no immediate hurry to get a new job and has time to shop around. Strange that libertarians would choose to highlight the fact that poor economic mobility is a natural consequence of unfettered capitalism.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alright I have two questions that I would like answered (preferably by a libertarian) about libertarianism and its off shoots such as an-caps:

1. How would you transition to a libertarian society? I've never seen this explained and it seems like it would lead to chaos since you are essentially removing institutions that literally everyone relies on.

2. How would you stop governments from reforming in a libertarian society or during the transition? I know many people including myself that would band together to form a society since there is power in numbers. We would also have much more money and property combined than alone giving us more bargaining power against the super powerful and allowing us to easily overshadow anyone trying to live individually only using DROs when it comes to government-like bodies.

Caros
May 14, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Well, there's also the issue of "time preference" being a lovely explanation for the choice between having money tomorrow and actually getting to eat something (or if that's not your style, some other critical expense that can't be delayed - medical bill, auto repair in a city with no public transit, and so on) today, even before you get into the racial aspect.

Yeah, I should have clarified. Time Preference makes some sense as a term used when discussing investment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Papa Jarl says: "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his confirmed kill count."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
How do libertarians and ancaps explain how people would be able to build, run, and manage something like a power plant or any other technological marvel that supports a large population of people under their system?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Neeksy posted:

How do libertarians and ancaps explain how people would be able to build, run, and manage something like a power plant or any other technological marvel that supports a large population of people under their system?

~The Free Market~

No, seriously. Free from the onerous yoke of regulation and taxation, lib/ancap power plants would be marvels of efficiency and technology that a statist can't even imagine. The NAP would ensure that the plant would produce no pollution whatsoever, because any plants that did would get negative reviews on neoYelp and go out of business. The workers would be incredibly safe and well paid once freed from the oppressive moorings of OSHA because any plant that had dangerous working conditions would be lambasted on the internet and therefore unable to garner any prospective employees. The engineers who designed the plant would be freed of tedious limitations like zoning laws or ISO standards, so they'd obviously design plants that would never malfunction and kill an entire town - because their -personal reputation- is on the line.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Neeksy posted:

The state isn't required to run power plants and the like. Electricity would be a lot more polluting and it would cost a lot more for poor people (since their usage is no longer being subsidized via progressive taxation), but it'd work

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

QuarkJets posted:

The state isn't required to run power plants and the like. Electricity would be a lot more polluting and it would cost a lot more for poor people (since their usage is no longer being subsidized via progressive taxation), but it'd work

I guess what I'm saying is that a power plant and any other form of advanced technology requires materials and labor that would be very hard to coordinate under an ancap system, especially since it would require infrastructure and education that would be much less widespread without public expenditure on roads, trains, and schools. Then there's trying to form all the proper contracts with the various other companies that supply the metal, electronics, cement, etc. and then the standardization for outlets and all that jazz.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure Blackbeard DRO will do a much better job of protecting international shipping than the statist US Navy, so there'll be no problem with getting materials and fuel to keep the power plants running.

StandardVC10 posted:

Well, it's not a lovely explanation for why the poor are poor and tend to stay poor. It is absolutely true that someone like say, Bill Gates for example was able to spend his free time in childhood learning to code because he didn't have to work in the coal mines 12 hours a day to help his mom put food on the table, and that it's easier to take risks to start a business if you have support in the meantime to pay those bills that are coming in today.

It's just that Libertarians are lovely people, so they make that normative and say "well since the poor have obstacles to taking risks that the affluent don't, clearly that's just how it ought to be."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Neeksy posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that a power plant and any other form of advanced technology requires materials and labor that would be very hard to coordinate under an ancap system, especially since it would require infrastructure and education that would be much less widespread without public expenditure on roads, trains, and schools. Then there's trying to form all the proper contracts with the various other companies that supply the metal, electronics, cement, etc. and then the standardization for outlets and all that jazz.

Modern communications are technically impossible in an cap society, I'll probably do a giant dump of why this weekend since its my favorite 2x4 for libertarians, and maybe if I lay out the totality of it they'll finally tell me how I'm wrong.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Modern communications are technically impossible in an cap society, I'll probably do a giant dump of why this weekend since its my favorite 2x4 for libertarians, and maybe if I lay out the totality of it they'll finally tell me how I'm wrong.

Really looking forward to this fyi. I used to work as a cell phone salesman, and the immediate go to for a natural monopoly has always been cellular service.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

Alex Epstein, Ayn Rand Institute posted:

In January the FCC will auction off the prized 700 MHz spectrum of wireless bandwidth. But instead of offering the spectrum to the highest bidder to employ it however he judges best (for example, a mobile video-on-demand service), the FCC will force the winner to employ a specific business model--an "open access" Internet network that forbids the spectrum-holder from controlling which devices and applications use its network, regardless of how much bandwidth they eat up. Why? Because the FCC and sundry lobbyists claim, "open access" is necessary for the "public interest."

Wireless companies have rightly criticized "open access" rules as restrictions on free competition that unfairly favor certain business models--namely that of leading lobbyist Google. But the injustice of "open access" is just a symptom of the deeper injustice used to justify it: FCC's control of the "public airwaves" in the "public interest."

In today's discussions of FCC policy, it is taken for granted that airwaves are "public." But it shouldn't be. As philosopher Ayn Rand argued in a landmark 1964 essay, "The Property Status of Airwaves," airwaves should be private property.

Observe that the broadcast technology that makes the so-called public airwaves a value does not exist in nature. It is the creation of individuals--and, like all human-created values, its creators earn by their effort a right to their creation. When inventors and engineers first unlocked nature's potential to carry radio waves, and entrepreneurs began developing the commercial value of radio, the government had a responsibility to define property rights in this sphere--so that these innovators could own and utilize portions of the spectrum without interference by others.

There is an exact parallel here to property rights over newly available land. When the western frontier was opened in the 19th century, the government did not declare it public property. Rather, it parceled out the unowned land on a first-come, first-served basis, and then recognized a property right for those who made use of the land for five years. The same type of procedure—enabling pioneers to earn a property right to that which they render valuable--applies to any newly usable portion of spectrum. And, like land rights, once a property right to the use of a given frequency band in a given region is earned, it belongs to the owner unconditionally; he may use it to offer whatever content or services he judges best, or sell it to someone else to do the same.

If the government recognized airwaves as private property, the wireless industry and broadcast media would be transformed. Entrepreneurs would compete freely for ownership of spectrum, and over time, those who sold the most valued product would win out. We would see innovations at a pace undreamed of today--the pace of entrepreneurs and inventors, not the pace of central-planning bureaucrats.

Unfortunately, our government does not recognize airwaves as private property, and never has. In the 1920s, its response to the development of radio was not to define and protect property rights for the field's creators, but to nationalize them as "public property." Consider the injustice of this: the pioneers who envisioned the potential of radio technology, and took the risk of bringing it about, had no more right to their creation than we do, who created nothing.

Under the "public" airwaves regime, businesses do not own but merely "license" portions of spectrum--which the government has total authority to control in the "public interest." The use of spectrum is determined, not by the business that has purchased and earned it, but by the FCC--by whatever it feels is in the indefinable "public interest." In the realm of media, FCC bureaucrats can effectively censor viewpoints they dislike by revoking broadcast licenses or imposing huge fines. In the realm of wireless data, FCC bureaucrats and Congress can impose more onerous terms on a paying licensee anytime they wish--such as Google's proposal that licensees be forced to sell large portions of their bandwidth to competitors at FCC-dictated "reasonable" rates, no matter what it does to their business.

In all such cases, the creators with the best ideas and the willingness to prove them in a free market are throttled by lobbyists and government officials who can wheel and deal in Washington--and innovation suffers accordingly.

Americans need to start recognizing airwaves as the private property they really are, and demand the abolition of the FCC. Then the government can hold a fair and just auction for the 700 MHz spectrum, and the others, in which each spectrum is not licensed but sold--no strings attached.

Alex Epstein was a writer and a fellow on staff at ARI between 2004 and 2011.

:chord:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cnidaria posted:

Alright I have two questions that I would like answered (preferably by a libertarian) about libertarianism and its off shoots such as an-caps:

1. How would you transition to a libertarian society? I've never seen this explained and it seems like it would lead to chaos since you are essentially removing institutions that literally everyone relies on.

You wouldn't do it all at once. If a Libertarian government swept Congress with veto-proof majorities in November, you'd no doubt have a gradual transition. Start drawing down the military, cancel useless programs like funding for the arts and scientific research and food inspection and drug approvals and bank regulation immediately of course, and once the budget is balanced you can start returning the proceeds to the people with tax cuts. To settle the rest of our obligations (say Social Security which people have paid into all their lives) you would start privatizing. Auction off roads, schools, highways, utilities, land, military hardware, nuclear weapons, etc. The amount you'd raise by selling off hard assets ought to be enough to settle those obligations. Eventually you'd have to start winding down food stamps and welfare, but by this point the economy will be so juiced from all the low taxes and zero regulation on the job creators that the number of people depending on them would be small and they can be weaned off into freedom.

Cnidaria posted:

2. How would you stop governments from reforming in a libertarian society or during the transition? I know many people including myself that would band together to form a society since there is power in numbers. We would also have much more money and property combined than alone giving us more bargaining power against the super powerful and allowing us to easily overshadow anyone trying to live individually only using DROs when it comes to government-like bodies.

A free people would always be more motivated and passionate about their own defense than the mercenaries and reluctant conscripts of your state military so your attempts at conquest would be hopeless from the beginning.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

RuanGacho posted:

I think this goes too far. Cooperation would be required, but doing pretty much anything in ancap land requires cooperation. It's true that someone could decide to start jamming their local airwaves, but that problem isn't any different from "Well what if someone killed you and took your stuff" objections. Sufficiently large land owners that refused to take place in routing protocols could cause issues, but the same is true of roads.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
But states have eminent domain powers which would prevent large landowners from blocking roads. Such concept is impossible in pure ancap/libertopia.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

loving public interest always ruining my plans to control the airwaves :argh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mavric posted:

But states have eminent domain powers which would prevent large landowners from blocking roads. Such concept is impossible in pure ancap/libertopia.

Valhalla DRO recognizes the eminent domain of the fearsome berserker.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Valhalla DRO recognizes the eminent domain manifest destiny of the fearsome berserker.

A warrior does not expropriate, he claims what's rightfully his from those he has slain. :black101:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As you can clearly see, my blade hungers for blood, so I give you the opportunity to voluntarily splash some of your vital fluids upon it. Failure to do so shall be interpreted as aggression against my property. Having violated the NAP, you shall be slain where you stand, and all of your treasure and women shall be seized by Valhalla DRO, as Odin demands

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

VitalSigns posted:

Valhalla DRO recognizes the eminent domain of the fearsome berserker.

The imminent domain of my axe is your skull.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I think I'm gonna watch Conan the Barbarian in an AnCap mindset...

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I have to say, I really really want Valhalla DRO gang tags to be a thing.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mavric posted:

I have to say, I really really want Valhalla DRO gang tags to be a thing.

I'll start the wiki

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How does the whole libertarian idea that reputation and reviews alone will regulate the world explain the government? They hate the government, but it's something democratically elected. By their own ideology, no democracy could ever elect a bad politician because in a free market of votes clearly the best candidate would get the most votes, and any politician who was corrupt or incompetent would quickly be voted out of office. How can they see how democracy mixed with millions in marketing dollars works and then think if you just re-name "government" to "corporations" it's suddenly different.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

How does the whole libertarian idea that reputation and reviews alone will regulate the world explain the government? They hate the government, but it's something democratically elected. By their own ideology, no democracy could ever elect a bad politician because in a free market of votes clearly the best candidate would get the most votes, and any politician who was corrupt or incompetent would quickly be voted out of office. How can they see how democracy mixed with millions in marketing dollars works and then think if you just re-name "government" to "corporations" it's suddenly different.

On paper they don't like corporations either. But they know drat well that corporations would not only still exist in their society, but be even more powerful. They just refuse to admit it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to announce the creation of Organization of the Faithful DRO, we are created to ensure security for the faithful, and any non believers who wish to join. Note the DRO does state than while non believers will be protected within the Organization on of the Faithful, you will be expected to pay a taxfee to ensure your protection, and negotiate favorable trade with other DRO's. likewise the DRO reserves the right to restrict your access to weapons in times of security crises, also by signing a contract of protection you agree that the DRO may if it sees fit adopt your children to be part of our Ghulam security forces. The DRO also reserves the right to require everyone to pay fees for the maintenance of the less productive faithful in lean times. Finally being that this DRO represents all the faithful, any other DRO that is seen mistreating the faithful in their own borders does so at the risk of attacking the members of this DRO and can be subject to conflict. All members of the faithful are urged to join in the conflict if this happens, and of course are by the holy Quran are blessed in the taking of servants and loot, for the enemy DRO must be made to compensate for its actions against our DRO.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

For example,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fibDNwF8bjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Baronjutter posted:

One libertarian explanation For why governments are worse than corporations is the idea that the government uses its unique ability to tax and regulate to take from some groups (i.e. the productive wealth and job creators) and give to other groups (i.e. those lazy bums). In a democratic situation there's a strong incentive for politicians to impose ruinous taxes so that they can "buy" votes through government hands outs.

(Note that this is a concern that is shared by many contemporary conservatives (think of Romney's infamous 47% comment). It was also a concern that sometimes crops up amongst 19th century classical liberals. )

Libertarians will also sometimes point out that "special interests" can bribe people in government and thereby subvert a government's normal outcome. They think that because of the government's unique power it is especially suspectible to a level of corruption that would be impossible in a corporation.

Now at this point you might want to reply by pointing to examples of corporate corruption. But the libertarian will say that corporations as they exist today rely on the government. Thus any problems of corporate corruption are actually problems of government corruption.

In a stateless world I think the presumption is that businesses would be hyper responsive to people's needs because they wouldn't be able to rely on government created rules to corner markets or establish monopolies. They'd be in a truly free market where the desire of the customer is the only way to make a profit, and they'd behave accordingly. With all the distortions of government and central banking removed, the economy would flourish and people would be far better off.

Of course there are also libertarians who I don't think share this utopian view. These are libertarians like Hermann-Hoppe who want to abolish big government so that they can consciously replace it with a thousand local tyrannies. This is, frankly, where the real impulse for most actually existing libertarianism in places like America comes from but it's not as common on the internet. Most libertarians that you debate online are a sort of idealistic and don't really understand that their philosophy was originated by angry racist reactionaries, or that racism remains close to the core of modern libertarianism.