Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

EoRaptor posted:

Previous 'new' balance systems have not fared well, so I don't think skepticism (mine and others) is surprising. There is a lot of work to be done around overcoming historical actions before people relax again.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone (PGI or pubbie) would disagree.

I'm not surprised at all. It's understandable and I hope that some level of trust can be rebuilt as time goes on with those who are skeptical of everything we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Number19 posted:

I'm not surprised at all. It's understandable and I hope that some level of trust can be rebuilt as time goes on with those who are skeptical of everything we do.

Tell them Urbanmechs would go a long way to helping out the situation.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Iron Tusk posted:

No it wouldn't.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
make urbanmechs only be able to be hit if you shoot your weapons using MC. Brilliant move: :smugdog:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Number19 posted:

What'd build my trust would be abandoning garbage like Ghost Heat, "endgame content," and hiring someone to swat Paul on the wrist every time he suggests introducing a complex system to "fix" something that numbers tweaks will fix faster and better. Then giving the numbers a good balance pass to try to give every weapon a viable role.

Then you can consider adding quirks to underperformers.

Layering complex systems on top of each other to support dev "vision" of how the game "should" be played is the same reason City of Heroes players got really annoyed with their first lead developer, Jack "Statesman" Emmert. Oddly enough, that game got much better after he left and the devs were allowed to start tweaking numbers.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Iron Tusk posted:

I thought y'all really wanted a Tetetae bobblehead.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Number19 posted:

I thought y'all really wanted a Tetetae bobblehead.

Urbanmech with Tetatae geometry? :thumbsup:

Although seriously I thought the bobblehead was DOA?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Layering complex systems on top of each other to support dev "vision" of how the game "should" be played is the same reason City of Heroes players got really annoyed with their first lead developer, Jack "Statesman" Emmert. Oddly enough, that game got much better after he left and the devs were allowed to start tweaking numbers.

Statesman STRIKES FROM THE GRAVE!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Statesman STRIKES FROM THE GRAVE!

It was an easy parallel to make, all things considered. PGI's making a lot of the same mistakes. :shobon:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Number19 posted:

being a real negative nancy is getting super old so I've decided to give you guys my faith

I mean we know how far faith goes in this modern, godless world, but you've got it!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was an easy parallel to make, all things considered. PGI's making a lot of the same mistakes. :shobon:

The game is clearly too basic and needs more work.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

WarLocke posted:

Urbanmech with Tetatae geometry? :thumbsup:

Although seriously I thought the bobblehead was DOA?

I have no idea at all. If I were to guess I'd say an Urbanmech is more likely at this point but I don't know anything at all about the upcoming content pipeline so :shrug:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

We want a hero raven called the Nevermore with its fluff tagline being "quoth the raven Alt+F4". Is that too much to ask?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently Russ is leaking more quirks here

CN9-D quirks seem underwhelming. Seriously "+20% SRM4 Range"? Only 4-packs? :psyduck:

e: Odds on the '-% (type) laser duration' not scaling/compensating for damage and thus being a nerf to laser damage until a hotfix?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 17, 2014

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

mashed_penguin posted:

We want a hero raven called the Nevermore with its fluff tagline being "quoth the raven Alt+F4". Is that too much to ask?

The tagline is for sure but I've wanted a Edgar Allen Poe themed Raven for a long time so maybe it will happen eventually if I ask enough.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

So apparently Russ is leaking more quirks here

CN9-D quirks seem underwhelming. Seriously "+20% SRM4 Range"? Only 4-packs? :psyduck:

The CN9's are all great mech's regardless of the quirks. They're trying to give yo a reason to use that big gun arm.

[quote]

Staff Moderator

753 posts

Posted Today, 10:24 AM

Hunchback 4SP - Tier 4 Brawler

Additional Armor (RT<) +9
Additional Structure (RT<) +12
SRM/6 Cooldown +20%
SRM/6 Range +20%
Medium Laser Duration -20%
Medium Laser Heat Gen -20%/[quote]

Return of the Munchback?

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

The CN9's are all great mech's regardless of the quirks. They're trying to give yo a reason to use that big gun arm.

Yeah I'm not saying they aren't. an SRM4-specific quirk though is just cat making sad face.

Oh btw here's the new reward CN9-AL

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

e: Odds on the '-% (type) laser duration' not scaling/compensating for damage and thus being a nerf to laser damage until a hotfix?

100%

+25%!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Iron Tusk posted:

I'm not sure that structure bonus is enough. The new arm doesn't look all that smaller than the old one and going from 48 to 64 total damage before it's gone is a 25% increase but 64 damage is not a lot with the kind of alphas you see people packing.

Plus if you try to shove an LB10X in there you are devoting 20%+ of your weight to that arm. Witness a random quirk-centric build I just whipped up in 5 minutes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure that structure bonus is enough. The new arm doesn't look all that smaller than the old one and going from 48 to 64 total damage before it's gone is a 25% increase but 64 damage is not a lot with the kind of alphas you see people packing.

Plus if you try to shove an LB10X in there you are devoting 20%+ of your weight to that arm. Witness a random quirk-centric build I just whipped up in 5 minutes.

lots of quirks here:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/173062-october-road-map/page__p__3827000#entry3827000

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Number19 posted:

When I saw this I wanted to write a book in response to this and being a product manager at an IT company I really like that kind of user feedback. What stops me is I don't know if you're forwarding this stuff on or just reading and shaking your head in agreement? Even if you are forwarding this on I have no idea if 'Goon feedback' is thrown into a special category that's used for rear end wiping and laughing. So I'll keep this short.

My love of the franchise prompted me to dump a bunch of money into the game, founders, MC, and phoenix etc. Lack of apparent testing and knee jerk fixes that would completely flip the meta or play style is what drove me away. A good example being 'Ghost Heat', I was open to hear how they wanted to fix or balance things and I tried it. Lack of continued development, documentation, clueless responses, invalidation of stock builds, and not trying out other balancing options in a testing environment drove me off.

I still read the email updates and occasionally skim the forums but it doesn't seem like the course has changed but I would love to have my opinion changed.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Super 3 posted:

When I saw this I wanted to write a book in response to this and being a product manager at an IT company I really like that kind of user feedback. What stops me is I don't know if you're forwarding this stuff on or just reading and shaking your head in agreement? Even if you are forwarding this on I have no idea if 'Goon feedback' is thrown into a special category that's used for rear end wiping and laughing. So I'll keep this short.

My love of the franchise prompted me to dump a bunch of money into the game, founders, MC, and phoenix etc. Lack of apparent testing and knee jerk fixes that would completely flip the meta or play style is what drove me away. A good example being 'Ghost Heat', I was open to hear how they wanted to fix or balance things and I tried it. Lack of continued development, documentation, clueless responses, invalidation of stock builds, and not trying out other balancing options in a testing environment drove me off.

I still read the email updates and occasionally skim the forums but it doesn't seem like the course has changed but I would love to have my opinion changed.

I apply my own filter to the feedback and pass it on if I think it's a good idea. Often I'll talk to someone one-on-one about their idea to help refine it a bit and make sure that I understand it before passing it on. I certainly can't and won't promise that a change will be made and it doesn't happen all that often but sometimes a good suggestion will get implemented. I'd say that they get implemented at the about the same rate as any other feedback we get from the community (and before you laugh at that, that rate is definitely higher than "zero").

Most of your specific feedback is well known by this point. The community has made their feelings on all those topics well known. Russ has even commented that he'll have a discussion about Ghost Heat with the community. I don't know when though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There is a joke to be made about removing ghost heat and hell freezing over.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Number19 posted:

Russ has even commented that he'll have a discussion about Ghost Heat with the community. I don't know when though.

:eyepop:

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Chronojam posted:

There is a joke to be made about removing ghost heat and hell freezing over.

The removal of ghost heat will cause hell to hit 0 kelvin and pigs to get wings before freezing and shattering on the ground?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Number19 posted:

Most of your specific feedback is well known by this point. The community has made their feelings on all those topics well known. Russ has even commented that he'll have a discussion about Ghost Heat with the community. I don't know when though.

Soon after Community Warfare? :v:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

PoptartsNinja posted:

Soon after Community Warfare? :v:

CW Phase 2 is our top priority as Russ has stated several times.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Number19 posted:

I apply my own filter to the feedback and pass it on if I think it's a good idea. Often I'll talk to someone one-on-one about their idea to help refine it a bit and make sure that I understand it before passing it on. I certainly can't and won't promise that a change will be made and it doesn't happen all that often but sometimes a good suggestion will get implemented. I'd say that they get implemented at the about the same rate as any other feedback we get from the community (and before you laugh at that, that rate is definitely higher than "zero").

Would you consider bending a few ears about the possibility of decoupling torso twist speed from engine rating? A lot of times it feels like you 'need' the biggest engine possible not for the speed it provides but for the snappier twisting.

If torso twist speed was decoupled from the engine (ie, each mech had a flat twist speed regardless of what engine was in it) then they could also be balanced around their twist speed (this mech is a brawler, give it faster twist; this mech is a sniper/LRM boat, it can live with slow twist, etc).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Would you consider bending a few ears about the possibility of decoupling torso twist speed from engine rating? A lot of times it feels like you 'need' the biggest engine possible not for the speed it provides but for the snappier twisting.

If torso twist speed was decoupled from the engine (ie, each mech had a flat twist speed regardless of what engine was in it) then they could also be balanced around their twist speed (this mech is a brawler, give it faster twist; this mech is a sniper/LRM boat, it can live with slow twist, etc).

DO NOT loving LISTEN TO THIS.

You're the reason we can't have nice things. :psypop:

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 17, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kazvall posted:

DO NOT loving LISTEN TO THIS.

You're the reason we can't have nice things. :psypop:

A Centurion with a 200 engine twists slower than a Centurion with a 275 engine. Let's just use bullshit numbers and say 20 degrees/sec versus 35 degrees/sec.

My suggestion was that Centurions should just all have (again, bullshit pulled-out-of-my-rear end number) 35 degree/sec twist speed no matter what engine they have.

I'm not sure why you find it such a bad idea?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure why you find it such a bad idea?

Someone is probably typing up a novella right now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Hopefully it won't meander on to cones of fire.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kazvall posted:

Meh. Twist speed should remain tied to engines, because that's a good choice to make for your builds, and different variants should have different twist speeds, it's a good way to differentiate roles. That's part of why the Truckernaut goes all the way for the 360 engine, to get as twisty and turny as it's possible to be in a fatlas.

Variants tagged to make good brawlers should get a higher multiplier on that speed though. AKA an Atlas DDC with a 325 engine might have the same twist speed as an RS with a 350. And the DDC with a 360 will be considerably more maneuverable than the RS with a 360. Etc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Iron Tusk posted:

All in all I think it was just a subjective look at which mechs people actually play and are determined by the community to be good and which mechs are crapwagons.

Regardless on how they arrived at their decision I thought that all of their tiering choices were pretty spot on.

I think as a first cut approximation it's a sensible way to start balancing. At the least there'll be some fun chaos as the new meta gets worked out.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Number19 posted:

I apply my own filter to the feedback and pass it on if I think it's a good idea.

Hey 19, can you ask the programming guys to put the tips/advices the player sees during the loading screens on a timer? Right now they flash randomly, and you might start reading one tip and finish reading another. Something like 5 seconds per tip would be good.

Pycckuu fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2014

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Russ posted:

Keep in mind that having JJ or ECM will remove a quirk - hence why we have two on the Jester

Nice. JJ = ECM in the eyes of the :pgi: balance gods.

:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

Keep in mind that having JJ or ECM will remove a quirk - hence why we have two on the Jester
Hahaha, what?

It never stops.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

RangerAce posted:

Nice. JJ = ECM in the eyes of the :pgi: balance gods.

:pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi::pgi:

You'd have thought that those would already have been considered in the Mech tier list... Or is that a stupid assumption?

EDIT
I was quite suprised that the Phoenix sale had ~50% of the sale numbers than the Founders packages. I'd have assumed they'd get more people to pay some bucks for the Reseen.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 17, 2014

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
They'll never remove ghost heat until the population levels fall so low that it's obvious to everyone and by then it's too late. It's probably too late now.

It does seem that some people made a lot of money from mwo, so there's still hope that a future dev company will resurrect mechwarrior in ten years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tank Boy Ken posted:

You'd have thought that those would already have been considered in the Mech tier list... Or is that a stupid assumption?

EDIT
I was quite suprised that the Phoenix sale had ~50% of the sale numbers than the Founders packages. I'd have assumed they'd get more people to pay some bucks for the Reseen.

By the time the Phoenix sale went up it was clear that MWO was in terrible hands (the hands of PGI). That it reached 50% at all is a sign of just how badly people want a Mechwarrior game.

Hey if there's someone from the dev team in here I got a solution for all your balance woes: It's called MWLL. Play. Look at their weapons. Copy as much as possible, because those guys knew how to make every BT weapon flavorful, balanced and distinctive.

• Locked thread