Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ivQDZx1BM

The dude with the Alpha Lotus had it graded at 9.5. I don't think there is an actual 10 to be given out, so dude's making cash. But let's not forget he could have made a lot MORE cash by not opening Alpha-Unlimited sealed product and just selling it as is.

He said in the comments for the video that he doesn't intend to sell it.

There is a Beta Black Lotus graded at 10.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Angry Grimace posted:

But let's not forget he could have made a lot MORE cash by not opening Alpha-Unlimited sealed product and just selling it as is.

quote:

This video is sponsored by our friends at VintageMagic.com, LLC. They have generously provided boosters/starters to help my channel out.

he has this in the description for his videos and somehow people keep going 'pfft what an idiot, he should just sell the sealed product'

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pyronic posted:

he has this in the description for his videos and somehow people keep going 'pfft what an idiot, he should just sell the sealed product'

I am really having a hard time believing that someone is donating something worth that much just so a youtube video could happen. Am I really just that much of a skeptic?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Sickening posted:

I am really having a hard time believing that someone is donating something worth that much just so a youtube video could happen. Am I really just that much of a skeptic?

Im sure he does pay for some of it, but the publicity from stuff like this is undeniable.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Sickening posted:

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/54436

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zemyla posted:

I love that you said "ounce" rather than "inch". That makes it vastly creepier.

:stonklol:

"Phyrexia can make excellent use of someone with your.. calibur~."

Okay I'll stop before I consider writing bad fics for money.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

"Phyrexia can make excellent use of someone with your.. calibur~."

Okay I'll stop before I consider writing bad fics for money.

Can't be any worse than the actual MtG books.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hellsau posted:

Can't be any worse than the actual MtG books.
Ravnica books are pretty good if only because Agrus Kos is the only person with any sense on the entire plane and he expresses this fact in many different ways throughout the trilogy.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
RIP Wizards Event Reporter. At least it isn't Game Day Weekend.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Toshimo posted:

So uh what's happening here? Did Wizards' data center explode or something? MTGO's been down for a while now, too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Vital Signs posted:

I feel like standard has been 500-1000 dollar decks since like... Jund days or even earlier.

Although the format was known for jund, Jund itself rarely hit $500, usually stopping short of the $300 mark or so ($10 fetches, $20 maelstrom pulses, then like $10 ravines and lavaclaws). It was decks that ran Jace and Baneslayer that ran up deck prices, with Mythic clocking in around $700, and I'm fairly sure it actually dropped in price when it turned into Mythic Conscription.

Meanwhile Legacy Goblins was still in the $300-$500 range tops, I believe.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Toshimo posted:

We thought it was something on our end. Thanks for the info.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So uh what's happening here? Did Wizards' data center explode or something? MTGO's been down for a while now, too.

By data center you mean the two PCs running Windows 98 in a closet they use to run this thing?

Curious what happened though. I haven't gotten to play much this week, and I was really looking forward to playing all day today now that my to-do list is empty and my girlfriend isn't home :(

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

The dude with the Alpha Lotus had it graded at 9.5. I don't think there is an actual 10 to be given out, so dude's making cash. But let's not forget he could have made a lot MORE cash by not opening Alpha-Unlimited sealed product and just selling it as is.

99% of the time that's true but in this case that Lotus is worth at least three times as much as the sealed deck would have gone for. I'm seeing between $5-6k for the sealed starter deck, a 9.5 Alpha Lotus is not going to be less than $20k if he did sell it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
As far as I can tell Wizards hosts all their important digital poo poo (gatherer, event reporter, MTGO) on the same loving backbone, which is utterly retarded.

Seriously, take that poo poo to AWS.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Toshimo posted:

I hope they get it fixed it soon, or the PTQ I was planning on going to tomorrow is going to be interesting. :sweatdrop:

Gyshall posted:

As far as I can tell Wizards hosts all their important digital poo poo (gatherer, event reporter, MTGO) on the same loving backbone, which is utterly retarded.

Seriously, take that poo poo to AWS.
:ughh:

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 17, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I look forward to FNM being a clusterfuck tonight, especially if the judge doesn't show up again and I get to run the draft like last week :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hey, don't panic, the Planeswalker Points site is back up now!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm always intrigued by stuff like this. Does Wizards have a warehouse where they still have unopened Alpha and Beta stuff or do people just find stuff in attics they forgot about and go "Oh, look what I found I should open it"

Where's the video where he pulls it? What would an unopened Alpha box that he pulled it from go for?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Hey, don't panic, the Planeswalker Points site is back up now!

That's super and all but I want to digitally swing men at people

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Olothreutes posted:

No, I'm aware of the absence of Volcanic Island and that one circle of protection (black?). This person is maintaining that the packaging order of rares prohibits cards that are that far apart on the sheet from being in the same pack. I disbelieve him, but would like an expert opinion.

In beta starters this was true from every starter I've seen opened, the rares would actually be adjacent above/below when looked at an uncut sheet which would put Lotus with either an emerald or a lord of the pit. Who the hell knows from alpha though I don't think any pictures of uncut alpha sheets exist.

Edit: christ just realized this was from pages ago.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

That's super and all but I want to digitally swing men at people

I was supposed to grab the rest of the cards for mono B aggro on my lunch break today and digitally turn dudes sideways tonight but Wolpert seems content with burning even the good feels casual modo players have left too!

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My local store is starting an ante league next week. Rules are you pick 6 boosters from any set that the store will have or attempt to order. All 6 boosters have to be from different sets, you make a sealed deck that you have to leave at the store, and each week you can buy a new booster from any set. At the start of any league match, you shuffle, flip the top, and that's your ante. So, what would be the most fun packs to pick? I was thinking about getting Lorwyn and Morningtide, maybe an m11, and then a few cheap recent ones because I'm not made of money. Any suggestions?

Well clearly you should go for sets that included ante cards so you got at least a chance for mayhem. Speaking of which I played in the Ice Age sealed event at GP Orlando, and some guy opened an Amulet of Quoz. The judge ruled he could put it in his deck if he wanted to because he opened it in his sealed pool, but he'd have to remove it before play every game because sanctioned tournaments aren't allowed to be played for ante, technically allowing him to have a 39-card deck.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

My local store is starting an ante league next week. Rules are you pick 6 boosters from any set that the store will have or attempt to order. All 6 boosters have to be from different sets, you make a sealed deck that you have to leave at the store, and each week you can buy a new booster from any set. At the start of any league match, you shuffle, flip the top, and that's your ante. So, what would be the most fun packs to pick? I was thinking about getting Lorwyn and Morningtide, maybe an m11, and then a few cheap recent ones because I'm not made of money. Any suggestions?

I can't read, sorry. Grab a pack of either Chronicles or Revised and shoot for the moon man.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Fallen Empires and then just stuff your deck with Hymn to Tourach and pump knights.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Seriously, everyone reading this thread. Read this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GoutPatrol posted:

Seriously, everyone reading this thread. Read this.

I read it. He neglects to mention that Briber's Purse lets you combo with fewer cards than Cornucopia (possibly even with no cards in hand to cycle and no cantrip). While Cornucopia might let you ramp into the combo faster, I think Purse is the way to go since it can stunt early aggro some and can let you go off with less cards.

That should be a consideration when discussing the deck as we saw both versions at the PT.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mirrodin Block, Fallen Empires, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeah, China continues to morph into this weird sci-fi dystopia.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Toshimo posted:

I read it. He neglects to mention that Briber's Purse lets you combo with fewer cards than Cornucopia (possibly even with no cards in hand to cycle and no cantrip). While Cornucopia might let you ramp into the combo faster, I think Purse is the way to go since it can stunt early aggro some and can let you go off with less cards.

That should be a consideration when discussing the deck as we saw both versions at the PT.

You can play cornucopia for 0 early on. Just fyi.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The LGS I am at this evening is selling sarkhans for 50 tonight. Peak magic folks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

The LGS I am at this evening is selling sarkhans for 50 tonight. Peak magic folks.

When everyone is dead I will be the one laughing in my impenetrable bunker made of Thunder Spirits. Also MODO is back as mysteriously as it was gone.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Speaking of Cornucopia, I'm trying Trinket Mage in Blue Tron and I'm trying to think of other good artifacts to grab with it besides Exploration Map and Chalice of the Void?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Speaking of Cornucopia, I'm trying Trinket Mage in Blue Tron and I'm trying to think of other good artifacts to grab with it besides Exploration Map and Chalice of the Void?

I have one in the side of my MTGO build to dig up Chalice and Pithing Needle, and Relic of Progenitus/Tormod's Crypt.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Mine has him for 50, Sorin at 30, the temples at 6.99 each and a slew of other ridiculously over priced singles, mantis riders at 10, rabble masters at 22, etc. I don't know how they expect to compete with online prices.

I packed a Sorin the other day and asked how much cash I could get for it. He offered me seven dollars.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

stinkles1112 posted:

Mine has him for 50, Sorin at 30, the temples at 6.99 each and a slew of other ridiculously over priced singles, mantis riders at 10, rabble masters at 22, etc. I don't know how they expect to compete with online prices.

I packed a Sorin the other day and asked how much cash I could get for it. He offered me seven dollars.
Holy poo poo, he's offering under 25%? That's terrible.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
"Well, we've got like 5 of them..."

I literally lol'ed.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

stinkles1112 posted:

I'll give you $14 for him :)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

stinkles1112 posted:

Check the store's own online prices. I've posted here before about a store I used to go to that jacked up in-store prices and then had the same cards online for much much cheaper. Curious if this is another case of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

Mirrodin Block, Fallen Empires, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011.

I thought about mirrodin block, doing that and scars block together. Also thinking that doing ravnica and rtr blocks together could be fun. Colorless or multicolor, either would be fun.

• Locked thread