Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Zifnab posted:

Rumors circulating that Harvin tried to fight Russel Wilson this last week, also that he punched Tate in the face right before the Superbowl

Yeah neither of these things leaking (especially the Super Bowl thing) is about as likely as the government being able to cover up placing bombs in WTC 7 and then using a bunch of Saudi extremists to fly planes into 1 WTC and 2 WTC as cover for the demolition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Harvin failed to show up for work on so many important days that Pete Carroll is convinced he's Jewish

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
unless harvin helped hernandez bury the bodies this trade is loving indefensible and i hope lynch drunk drives into bevell's face and gets away with it

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

football fuckerman posted:

mhm. mhm. mhm. mhm. Gosh when you put it that way it's almost like they fuckin fleeced the Jets and made out like bandits. Flat out robbed them of that fourth round pick or whatever

The Jets didn't make a good trade, no matter how bad Seattle overpaid for Harvin. Buying low and gliding even lower isn't any better an investment strategy.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
harvin trade was an inside job. teams don't just collapse like that. bevell did 10/12

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

football fuckerman posted:

Harvin failed to show up for work on so many important days that Pete Carroll is convinced he's Jewish

but then why would you trade him?

You will know exactly when an attack is about to happen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Remember when everybody was laughing at the Browns for the Trent Richardson trade about this time last year

I think this could end up going the same way that went

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gerund posted:

The Jets didn't make a good trade, no matter how bad Seattle overpaid for Harvin. Buying low and gliding even lower isn't any better an investment strategy.

It's a conditional pick. The Jets get to give him a trial and if he fucks up hey no pick to Seattle and Harvin is a free agent.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I don't understand the following:
- If he was being such a hothead pain in the rear end for the past few weeks, why didn't we hear about all these trade talks? Further, how much of a poo poo must he have been to have justified the team wasting 20 million and a first and a third round pick? Like, wouldn't that usually require class A fuckupery?
- Why do the Jets think their offensive woes will be solved by paying a shitload of money for a WR and why do they think its important enough to do it midseason when their season is already essentially blown?
- Why are the Jets willing to pay so much money for a head case? The Jets aren't known for their unified locker room already. Usually a team will only do that for a guy like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. I don't think Harvin is that talented.
- Why didn't the Vikings take him back for peanuts, become champions of the league for so transparently fleecing Seattle, and then have two Percy Harvins on one team?
-Rex Ryan is probably out of a job but if he can do a lot better in the last 9 games well maybe, and they've done this with Santonio Holmes in the past. I don't know how much of that contract is going to land on their books but whatever they're paying it's a lot less than the Seahawks did, and as mentioned even the pick is conditional.
-It's a business but even business has a lot to do with relationships. If you tell your coach to gently caress off repeatedly or demand to leave (or whatever he was doing) you tend to get shipped out and you tend not to come back no matter what a "fleecing" that would represent.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Gerund posted:

Are you kidding me this is a fantastic trade for the Jets organization. Costs them nothing now and Rex Ryan and John Idzik are probably going to get canned unless they start winning games. Literally no risk for them considering they're 1-6 right now. And if it doesn't work out it's someone else's problem

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Adun posted:

Yeah neither of these things leaking (especially the Super Bowl thing) is about as likely as the government being able to cover up placing bombs in WTC 7 and then using a bunch of Saudi extremists to fly planes into 1 WTC and 2 WTC as cover for the demolition.

Its harder to accept that the people at or near the top are incompetent, so people create outlandish scenarios that presume widely-held stereotypes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris James 2 posted:

Remember when everybody was laughing at the Browns for the Trent Richardson trade about this time last year

I don't think so. Jets aren't on the hook for any guaranteed money afaik, so they can cut him for nothing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chris James 2 posted:

That was for a first rounder, not a conditional fourth.

I am nominally a Jets fan and I like the trade just because the games might be watchable now, I agree it's no massive coup or anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chris James 2 posted:

Depends on the conditions I'd think. If it's set up right than either Harvin will be good for them and they traded a second for a good player, or they took a shot on an explosive guy for a fourth rounder.

Even if Harvin Moss's his way out of New York in three weeks it doesn't seem as bad as a first for Richardson.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

TubeStank posted:

It's a conditional pick. The Jets get to give him a trial and if he fucks up hey no pick to Seattle and Harvin is a free agent.

Conditional could mean a 4th-round floor, too.

Adun posted:

Are you kidding me this is a fantastic trade for the Jets organization. Costs them nothing now and Rex Ryan and John Idzik are probably going to get canned unless they start winning games. Literally no risk for them considering they're 1-6 right now. And if it doesn't work out it's someone else's problem

You assume too much of the Jets organization.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein?s=09

This guy is posting about behind the scenes crap that may or may not be accurate.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

At least the Browns got a first round pick back

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

Except it's not comparable to that at all except insofar as players were traded?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Schwack posted:

This guy is posting about behind the scenes crap that may or may not be accurate.

The black eye thing is some real truther poo poo

Also:

quote:

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein · 21m 21 minutes ago
Probably most telling text I received regarding Harvin trade:, "Time bomb. If Pete gets rid of a guy, your radar better be on high alert"
-Pete Carroll

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So we let Tate walk because we have Harvin... who we ship out for a pack of donuts and a used sock midseason.

Well gently caress it at least we won a Super Bowl!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Gerund posted:

It's OK to say your team hosed up!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Schwack posted:

quote:

Here are two tweets I just got from NFL personnel guys: “Literally heard minutes ago what you tweeted. Crazy. Jets didn’t do their homework"

Also got this text minutes ago: “Seattle just suckered the Jets. That GM is clueless”. Yikes.

hm yes the Jets GM is the sucker who didn't do his homework about Harvin

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gerund posted:

I thought someone had confirmed it was a 4th round floor, 2nd round ceiling. I could be terribly wrong though.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
There's nothing to suggest Harvin won't be great in a non-Bevell coached offense. He had 1300 yards from scrimmage in 2011 and was a midseason MVP candidate in 2012 pre-injury when he had the likes of Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and the embalmed corpse of Donovan McNabb throwing to him. If he actually does downfield routes he'll somewhat succeed even with Geno.

Schneider definitely lost both trades, but I still don't hold that against him because Harvin was used so, so poorly. It really can't be stressed enough how irredeemably bad Bevell has handled him throughout his career.

Prozach fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 18, 2014

Red Lancer
Nov 4, 2009
Seattle clearly following the old SAS free agency flowchart here.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

TubeStank posted:

It's OK to say your team hosed up!

Prozach posted:

There's nothing to suggest Harvin won't be great in a non-Bevell coached offense. He had 1300 yards from scrimmage in 2012 when he had the likes of Christian Ponder, Joe Webb, and the embalmed corpse of Donovan McNabb throwing to him. If he actually does downfield routes he'll somewhat succeed even with Geno.

Schneider definitely lost both trades, but I still don't hold that against him because Harvin was used so, so poorly. It really can't be stressed enough how irredeemably bad Bevell has handled him throughout his career.

The Schneider-Carroll Seahawks have a long history of falling in love with players that aren't in the building and getting buyer's remorse immediately after. See Whitehurst, Charlie; Williams, Mike (fat); Carpenter, James (and others)

Still doesn't mean that the act of cutting losses can't be leveraged into a win out of a bad situation. Today's trade is the Russell Wilson Bullshit to which the original trade is drafting and starting James loving Carpenter.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
NOBODY IS FLEECING ANYBODY IT'S A STUPID TRADE ALL ROUND ALRIGHT NOW TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND LOOOOOOOOOL

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Trading for him was obviously a gently caress up, but if he was truly that much of a problem it makes sense to move on ASAP. If this gives the team the chance to keep some lbs I'll be happy.

I still think Harvin can be great in this league, but I'm not sure the Jets will give him the chance.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I was looking forward to the prospect of a dynamic Seahawks offense with creative plays designed around Lynch, Harvin, and Wilson - more than anything, I'm just bummed that we'll be missing out on that, even if those plays only materialized for short instances this season. Sunken costs aside, what a terrible misuse of exciting talent. It's really a shame that this is happening so early in the season, must have been some terrible off-field drama.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shiksa posted:

hm yes the Jets GM is the sucker who didn't do his homework about Harvin

The well run org know as the New York Football Jets

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
lmao poor Russell Wilson getting bullied by other players. First Tate now Harvin, football game Drake over here

(i still love you russ)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chris James 2 posted:

Nah, the worst that could happen is that this blows up for both teams. Seattle traded a 1st and 3rd to get him, and are only getting a 4th (at most) back.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm just posting there because I need to. The CFL game on ESPN2 had a score of 4-1 with five seconds left in the first half. The NFL needs the rouge.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 18, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Bad Moon posted:

The well run org know as the New York Football Jets

Traded a conditional pick for a talented yet troubled player with no guaranteed money on the hook after this year. The Seahawks, on the other hand...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

shiksa posted:

Traded a conditional pick for a talented yet troubled player with no guaranteed money on the hook after this year. The Seahawks, on the other hand...
Also if the Jets can use him right they'll have one of the better offensive weapons in the league.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

seiferguy posted:

Nah, the worst that could happen is that this blows up for both teams. Seattle traded a 1st and 3rd to get him, and are only getting a 4th (at most) back.

Thats wrong unless the twitterz just posted something different than Clayton: 4th floor, 2nd ceiling.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm just posting there because I need to. The CFL game on ESPN2 had a score of 4-1 with five second left in the first half. The NFL needs the rouge.

how the gently caress do you get only 1 point

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I recognize the urge to make a morality play out of everything but it's usually a bad way to look at things.

It's a win-win trade. The Seahawks hosed up to let Harvin get this malcontent but he's supposedly prone to that sort of thing and poo poo happens so however things got that bad it's in Seattle's interest to get what they can for him. The Jets are rolling the dice a bit but the buy-in isn't that high and tanking to get higher in the draft can gently caress up your organization more than it's worth. (And I daresay they could still lose a lot of games!)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

"I really don't have words to describe how I feel. I was talking to coach Carroll, I haven't slept in three days just anticipating this opportunity."

"For one, [Wilson's] body of work, I think last year speaks for itself. Secondly, hearing the way he prepares, I admire it already. He's been texting me, I came here today, he was watching film. The offseason hasn't really kicked in with this guy. He's already in there watching film, trying to organize things. I admire people who work hard, that like to work. How could you not be a fan of him?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

pangstrom posted:

I recognize the urge to make a morality play out of everything but it's usually a bad way to look at things.

It's a win-win trade. The Seahawks hosed up to let Harvin get this malcontent but he's supposedly prone to that sort of thing and poo poo happens so however things got that bad it's in Seattle's interest to get what they can for him. The Jets are rolling the dice a bit but the buy-in isn't that high and tanking to get higher in the draft can gently caress up your organization more than it's worth. (And I daresay they could still lose a lot of games!)
Actually the win-win would have been for Seattle to fire Darrell Bevell and bring in someone who knows how to use wide receivers. In four of Bevell's five years with Minnesota they were outside of the top ten in yards and PPG, with the one great season happening because Brett Favre turned back the clock ten years. Seattle's offense has yet to be in the top fifteen in yards per game with him in charge.

• Locked thread