Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Rumor has it android wear 2.0 releases today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Rumor has it android wear 2.0 releases today

All of the Nexus/Android news has come out, have we heard anything about this yet?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Super Dude posted:

All of the Nexus/Android news has come out, have we heard anything about this yet?

No but iHeartRadio hasn't pushed out their big update with Wear support and they have been very clear that it was coming out on the 15th specifically so I'm still holding out hope.

Nevermind, it is out, well I am kind of disappointed. :(

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them. I would like, say, my weather card or drive home card be something I could always access by swiping up, but I really don't want real estate taking up space on my clock screen unless it's an active notification. Right now, the only thing I can do is swipe those cards away which makes them disappear on the phone as well. I don't find that to be ideal.

Basically, I want to keep Now cards around on both the watch and phone, just not have it be an active notification.

By "real estate taking up space" do you mean it has the potential of blocking other important notifications or that it makes analog watchfaces on the 360 harder to read? The former is a non-issue since there's only two situations where passive Now cards can hit the top of the stream/the face: 1) When all other non-Now cards are old/stale. In that case just looking at the Now card marks it old/stale also, meaning it gets re-sorted/shifted off the face as soon as the watch goes inactive again/you manually sleep the watch. 2) The stream only has Now cards, in which case there's nothing better to see anyway.

If it's the later that seems to be a losing battle regardless of Now, as the UI model seems to necessitate that being the case as Wear begins to do more over time.

Three Olives posted:

No but iHeartRadio hasn't pushed out their big update with Wear support and they have been very clear that it was coming out on the 15th specifically so I'm still holding out hope.

Nevermind, it is out, well I am kind of disappointed. :(

Android Police owner says November 3rd: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts

Plus we can infer a lot of features from the Lollipop developer changelog which will be released tomorrow. Maybe they'll even throw in a Wear 2.0 emulator image.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Looks like the Jawbone Up app now supports tracking on Wear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jawbone.upopen

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

If it's the later that seems to be a losing battle regardless of Now, as the UI model seems to necessitate that being the case as Wear begins to do more over time.

It's the latter.

Right now, I have two Now cards. The weather for home and the weather for work. I've seen them, I know they are there. I really don't like dismissing them, because they are dismissed on the phone then and sometimes I like to reference them when I'm on the phone to seen the weekly forecast or what not.

But I hate that when I look at my watch the see the time, there's that banner with the notification. It's not a hiding the time thing, it's an OCD thing. If there's not something there I need to be notified of that needs immediate attention, I want the watch to look like a watch, not have a white banner across it. At the same time though, I hate clearing out Now on my phone.

They really should just add a "swipe down" gesture at the bottom of the screen that allows you to hide a notification rather than fully dismiss it.

Edit:

Another example would be shipping notification. I like keeping the shipping card up in now when I have a package incoming as it's a easy shortcut to the tracking number to see where it is. However, it shows up on my watch as well. I don't want that notification sitting around on the home screen of my watch for 3 or 4 days as I wait for the package. However, if I dismiss it, it's gone from now as well.

If they don't want to do the hide functionality, then they should decouple the dismissal of cards in now from the watch. Push new cards out to the watch when they appear but don't dismiss them on the phone when you dismiss them on the watch. I'm fine with notifications being dismissed on the phone with the watch as that's all stuff that needs to be dealt with. Now cards are different though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 16, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Would be nice if you could swipe with one finger to hide from the watch but leave on Now on the phone, and two fingers to obliterate it everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Would be nice if you could swipe with one finger to hide from the watch but leave on Now on the phone, and two fingers to obliterate it everywhere.

Yeah, there's a few approaches they could take on this, hopefully they will add an enhancement in with 2.0.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Sony watch is being teased on the Play Store. Thing looks big, but it has onboard GPS so with that v2.0 Android Wear update it might not make for a bad sport watch..

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=sony_smartwatch_3_black

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah that looks awkwardly huge on a lot of the people modelling it

But yeah, probably fine for people with bigger wrists or for just Getting Exercise Done. I like that 'it's water-resistant' shot though, there's almost no water on the model's arm so it looks like they just gobbed on the watch

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That thing looks utterly ridiculous.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I still can't get over square displays for watches. I really think rounds displays are the way to go in terms of making them look decent when you're out, whether its social or formal. Those things just stand out and look goofy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Not sure I have a strong opinion about rectangular vs. round displays. I don't think it's my primary concern, anyways. I'd never wear one of these things in a formal setting in either case.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They'll probably look better as they get more prevalent (especially since Apple's one is square) - I think everyone's more used to round watches and how nicely they suit their function. Making it an actual screen with other utility changes that, just depends how that plays out really.

Still, it depends on the design - round ones look nicer and a round screen is a New Thing which is automatically interesting, so the squares have a bit of catching up to do. And I don't like that one Three Olives posted a while back (in that photo at least) because it sort of looks like something an engineer made at home with a small display panel, making a watch as a proof of concept. Cool and all but not exactly elegant design

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm going to call a round watch face on the next gen of Apple watches. I'm not saying the square ones are worthless, but I just seriously think they're silly. Especially when you put a knock off watch face on it. Square isn't appealing. The moto 360 just looks loving swank. It needs to rid itself of the flat tire and get a retina display so the watch faces look even nicer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Square analog watches go way back, like as far back as watches go, they are current now, expensive square watches, like current analog watches that costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A round LCD is unique, it stands out because round LCDs are rare and as such considered cutting edge tech but there isn't something inherently more watch like about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a pretty stupid argument.

They have square watermelons too. Just because something exists in a different shape doesn't mean that they're all equal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 18, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Square analog watches go way back, like as far back as watches go, they are current now, expensive square watches, like current analog watches that costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A round LCD is unique, it stands out because round LCDs are rare and as such considered cutting edge tech but there isn't something inherently more watch like about them.

Put a standard analog watch face on a square then round watch. I bet most people would prefer the round. Also a square smart watch looks like a smart watch. A round one slips in a lot better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If it's worth anything (it's not), I don't like 99% of square watches, regardless of price, style, or how smart they might be. Even then, the few that I do tend to be more of a horizontal layout than vertical, which counts out all square smart watches.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's a pretty stupid argument.

They have square watermelons too. Just because something exists in a different shape doesn't mean that they're all equal.

https://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5940J_001.html
http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

This argument is insane, you can say you think the G Watch and Apple watch are ugly, that you are personally more attracted to round watch faces as a fashion accessory but the just say they inharently are more watch like or look more high end in the context of analog watches is just not substantiated by the current or past high end watch market.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 18, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't say any of that. I just said that your claim that square watches existing in a minority somehow means people are wrong to associate round with a watch is ridiculous.

Of course circles are more inherently watch like. The watch faces on square watches are still circles, the watch mechanism is circular, and most watches you're ever going to see are circles.

But I don't think 'square' is why those smartwatches are unappealing to people. They're not even actually squares. If you were to plop an LCD into a casing looking like either of the 2 you linked it would probably be a lot more appealing. All the 'square' watches out now are big rectangles in chunky plastic casing and band. That Sony one is especially bad. There are toy smartwatches that look exactly like that but with brighter, kiddy colors.

Now personally, I think a smartwatch actually needs a decently sized bezel not to look off. But that one's just my personal preference. I think the LG watch looks better than the Moto 360*.

*: In promotional images anyway. The backlight messes with the illusion in actual usage pictures.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 18, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm going to call a round watch face on the next gen of Apple watches. I'm not saying the square ones are worthless, but I just seriously think they're silly. Especially when you put a knock off watch face on it. Square isn't appealing. The moto 360 just looks loving swank. It needs to rid itself of the flat tire and get a retina display so the watch faces look even nicer.
I'd be surprised just cause watch faces probably aren't going to be the primary reason to get one. Most data would either need to be cropped to fit or have a bunch of wasted space with a round screen.

In other square screen news, will.i.am is still venturing into random stuff:
http://gizmodo.com/meet-puls-will-i-ams-gigantic-wearable-cuff-1646838552

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

japtor posted:

I'd be surprised just cause watch faces probably aren't going to be the primary reason to get one. Most data would either need to be cropped to fit or have a bunch of wasted space with a round screen.

In other square screen news, will.i.am is still venturing into random stuff:
http://gizmodo.com/meet-puls-will-i-ams-gigantic-wearable-cuff-1646838552

Anything that keeps him from making another Black Eyed Peas album.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Three Olives posted:

This argument is insane, you can say you think the G Watch and Apple watch are ugly, that you are personally more attracted to round watch faces as a fashion accessory but the just say they inharently are more watch like or look more high end in the context of analog watches is just not substantiated by the current or past high end watch market.

The vast, vast, vast majority of watches are round, for a reason. Of course there are square ones, but those tend to be seen as a design statement because of it. Popularity is completely subjective, but they're still in the minority. Maybe with screen functionality smartwatches will start to pull that trend back

And come on, that first link? I don't think you could find a 'square' watch any more reluctant to stray from circular forms. Pretty much makes the whole point

e- I was going to say square analogue watches and clocks tend to feel really 70s to me, then I read the blurb on that Monaco one and... yep! Not that it's a bad thing, but personally it feels like a bit of a clash to have new modern technology using a dated design (as in one that evokes a past design trend, not "old and sucks"). Maybe I'll feel differently when I get used to seeing them with screens and different watch faces though

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 18, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Case in point, ask someone to quickly sketch a clock. No one is drawing squares.

Anyways, I see where you're coming from Olives. I also think the Apple watch has the worst looking UI ever. Its so neon and black. At least Android wear is nicer on the eyes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I picked up a moto 360 a bit back. I kinda like it, and it seems like the only ones who notices or ask questions are technerds. I usually wear automatic watches and they are around the same size and honestly much heavier usually. batteries could be better but will do the workday definitely.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my 360 yesterday, it's beautiful, really happy with it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm diggin the direction these wearables are heading: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/19/7007345/this-is-the-fitbit-surge

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like someone is making adapter lugs for the Moto360 so you can use pretty much any band.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183644800/steelconnect-m-adapters-for-moto360-smartwatch

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bull3964 posted:

Looks like someone is making adapter lugs for the Moto360 so you can use pretty much any band.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183644800/steelconnect-m-adapters-for-moto360-smartwatch

not a fan of the look though.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

And if wearing a wristwatch in 2014 isn't old-fashioned enough for you, they've got pocketwatch adaptors.

No, really. Why's this guy wearing two Moto 360s? My only guess is because his parents told him he wasn't allowed to spend any more of his trust fund on PBR and ridiculous shirts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

nthalp posted:

not a fan of the look though.

Those are 3d-printed prototypes, the actual stainless steel version isn't depicted yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exit Strategy posted:

And if wearing a wristwatch in 2014 isn't old-fashioned enough for you, they've got pocketwatch adaptors.

No, really. Why's this guy wearing two Moto 360s? My only guess is because his parents told him he wasn't allowed to spend any more of his trust fund on PBR and ridiculous shirts.

Because ones black and the other silver.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can a phone actually connect to 2 Android Wear devices?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Regarding this conversation we had a couple of weeks ago:

bull3964 posted:

I would say the biggest thing I want from wear right now is the ability to hide cards without dismissing them.

Jmcrofts posted:

I agree, Wear needs a way to hide notifications from the watch face without clearing them out.

bull3964 posted:

I'm hoping it's one of the things the tweak in Wear 2.0. It's a pretty common request.

This is a now a thing as of today's G Watch update:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...them-for-later/

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Tunga posted:

This is a now a thing as of today's G Watch update:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...them-for-later/

Yessss, this can't come to my 360 fast enough!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone here played around with a Moto Hint yet? Particularly, anyone with a Moto X (2014)? I'm going to pick up a Nexus 6, and the Hint's integration with always listening is intriguing. I drive all day now, and being able to dictate text messages and request directions without ever having to touch my phone OR the ear piece would be incredible.

Also, picked up a Moto 360 from Best Buy. Couple of quick impressions:

1. The lovely processor doesn't ruin the UX to any great extent.
2. It does gently caress battery life, though. That doesn't bother me - being able to just hit a day is totally adequate. What kills it IMO is needing a dock to charge. My phone barely lasting a day is totally fine since I can charge it easily whenever I need to. If I want to keep my watch charged, I have to bring a second charger and dock with me. Even if Qi were common it'd still be a problem - using it with a metal bracelet as opposed to a two-piece band precludes the use of standard Qi charger.
3. It doesn't wear nearly as big as I thought it would. While I do have a large frame (7 3/4" wrists) I'm not particularly big, and it doesn't look anymore out of place than most diving watches do.
4. Aside from it feeling wayyyyyy too light compared to the mechanical watches I typically wear, it seems to be a quality piece, with little finishing touches and details that make me feel less bad about spending a poo poo load of money on nerd gear.
5. The heart rate sensor is pretty useless and I'd like it if they cut costs there rather than the processor. Otherwise, it functions well, and Android Wear seems to be pushing these devices to the threshold of usefulness - it's significantly easier and safer to glance at directions on your wrist quickly then your phone, and it's nice to be able to change songs without having to pull your phone out and unlock it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
I just got the update and some other things AP haven't reported on yet:

1. There's a new transport controls screen attached to all Phone/on-Watch Music notifications which replaces the "single control on multiple screens" which came before. Screengrab:

2. The way the Play Music Wear app (bundled with the Songza update) works is that it does an all or nothing sync of Downloaded/Pinned stuff on the phone after forcing an explicit opt-in in Play Music Settings. I could see it being untenable if you were already a heavy user of pinning on the phone as there's no way to separate the two.

3. The new "Play Music" voice action seems hard wired to opening "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Play Music on the phone at the moment, even when you explicitly switch away from "On Phone" in the Android Wear app.

Aphrodite posted:

Can a phone actually connect to 2 Android Wear devices?

Nope, one at a time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

fyallm posted:

Yeah. I can't wait for that. It shouldn't be too long of a wait. For once, google is listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

A few people on Reddit have had the update on their 360s, it's probably a phased rollout but it shouldn't be long.

Edit: Official blog post with details:
http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-download-its-time-for-moto-360.html?linkId=10137381

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 21, 2014