Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

Peter gets fairy dust thrown on him by Tink the first time she comes to London to get him.

Which is weird because she takes him from a pram and no one ages in neverland. So I guess he spent a lot of time kidnapping/rescuing other kids in the regular world. Disney really sanitized the book visually and thematically.

Like if your mom temporarily neglects you it's cool that an other dimensional creature will take the kid off your hands. Munchausen by Pixie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

syscall girl posted:

Which is weird because she takes him from a pram and no one ages in neverland. So I guess he spent a lot of time kidnapping/rescuing other kids in the regular world. Disney really sanitized the book visually and thematically.

Like if your mom temporarily neglects you it's cool that an other dimensional creature will take the kid off your hands. Munchausen by Pixie.

Well I actually was talking about Hook , she sprinkled dust on him before she wraps him up and flies over George Lucas and Carrie Fisher.

But yes, the story itself isn't very internally consistent.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Speaking of Peter Pan/Hook being internally inconsistent, is Peter's daughter correct that "Neverland makes you forget", or is that something that only affects Peter and his son?

(I always figured Peter didn't need fairy dust due to cumulative long-term exposure and Tink threw some on him in Hook because he wasn't flying so why not? Another explanation though would be that Tink spent all of her time with Peter so he probably just got small but constant exposure until he left Neverland.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Im sorry Mr. Pan, But you have fairy prostate cancer."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Im sorry Mr. Pan, But you have fairy prostate cancer."

Sounds like Tink finally got what she wanted :pervert:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cat Hatter posted:

Speaking of Peter Pan/Hook being internally inconsistent...

It's funny how if I heard someone start this sentence in real life, I would push them down and scream NERD. But because it was posted in this thread, I read it intently and nodded silently at my screen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

It's funny how if I heard someone start this sentence in real life, I would push them down and scream NERD. But because it was posted in this thread, I read it intently and nodded silently at my screen.

Kind of like how when I typed out "Neverland makes you forget" I felt dirty because that's probably what Michael Jackson used to say to the kids sleeping in his bed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Kind of like how when I typed out "Neverland makes you forget" I felt dirty because that's probably what Michael Jackson used to say to the kids sleeping in his bed.

:staredog:

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Cat Hatter posted:

:catstare:

MindlessHavok posted:

Hah! I looked for the clip and found this: Pretty sure everyone knew Gwyneth Paltrow played the young Wendy's but Phil Collins played the inspector that comes when they report the kids missing. That one I didn't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar4x-hXIic

For some reason I never realized that Wendy was Gwyneth Paltrow in the flashbacks scenes... I should re-watch Hook, see what else I missed when I was a kid.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Hook seems to be really panned by a lot of people but I still find it to be an above average movie with some good performances and really drat good set and costume design. There are parts of the film that dont quite gel but overall its a good film.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well, good set design anyway.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you are insulting this outfit you and me are going to have words outside.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hook's problem is that it badly fails the eye-roll test. You've got a movie where they clearly put a lot of time and love into costumes, sets, hell even the script in some scenes. But there's a few scenes, particularly towards the end where you just wonder what the hell they were thinking. Frankly, if you read about the production history of the movie it's a miracle the movie came out as well as it did.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Hook's problem is that it badly fails the eye-roll test. You've got a movie where they clearly put a lot of time and love into costumes, sets, hell even the script in some scenes. But there's a few scenes, particularly towards the end where you just wonder what the hell they were thinking. Frankly, if you read about the production history of the movie it's a miracle the movie came out as well as it did.

I would like to know more.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

burnsep posted:

I would like to know more.

This is the most concise history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_(film)

TLDR version: Sometime in the early 80's Spielberg was working with Disney to film an adaptation of Peter Pan. Paramount bought the rights and pre-production started in 1985 but Spielberg walked away from the project in 1987 at which time a new writer and director were brought in. Then in 1989 the movie was in production at Tristar (third studio) and Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman had issues with the 2nd director who was paid out. Spielberg came back and the movie was released in 1991.

In that time the movie started as a musical with Michael Jackson playing Peter Pan (the song Peter's daughter sings in the movie is basically the only thing left from this draft). The entire script was re-written at least 3 times by multiple writing teams, Julia Roberts was apparently a complete terror to work with, and the shoot went roughly $30 million over budget and 40 days longer than planned.

Also, apparently Michael Jackson called everyone in Hollywood at one point or another campaigning to get the role back.

I'd honestly be more interested in watching a making of movie than the movie we got.

Pook Good Mook has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Oct 18, 2014

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Pook Good Mook posted:

Also, apparently Michael Jackson called everyone in Hollywood at one point or another campaigning to get the role back.

This wasn't surprising.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rewatching V for Vendetta tonight.

When the police storm Jordan Tower after V's broadcast, they shoot a TV executive that V dressed up as him. The footage is edited and later broadcast on the news as 'proof' that V is dead.

I always got that they edited out the guy saying 'please don't shoot' but I just realised that while the guy goes down in a veritable hail of gunfire from multiple police the news footage changes it to just two single shots. Thought it was a nice touch to make a police shooting seem totally 'controlled'.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nutsngum posted:

Hook seems to be really panned by a lot of people but I still find it to be an above average movie with some good performances and really drat good set and costume design. There are parts of the film that dont quite gel but overall its a good film.

:jerkbag:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I was watching Pontypool as part of this months horror movie challenge, and noticed something interesting, at the start of the film you have the Mrs Frenchs Cat bit where the main character talks about coincidences and how they seem to prelude major events. Then throughout the movie there's a bunch of tiny coincidental stuff happening related to cats and French/France. There's a couple of names here and there and another character mentions looking through a cat door. The cat itself comes up and everyone starts speaking French at one point (I know the film takes place somewhere where that makes sense, but it still fits).

Maybe I'm reaching, but it's pretty neat. There's also a couple nods about peoples names being the same but them not being related, the obvious one being the two kids with the same last name and birthday but no indication of relation (which is almost exactly one of the examples the main character gives as a type of coincidence that might precede a major event)

Nemesis Of Moles has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Oct 18, 2014

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I was watching Pontypool as part of this months horror movie challenge, and noticed something interesting, at the start of the film you have the Mrs Frenchs Cat bit where the main character talks about coincidences and how they seem to prelude major events. Then throughout the movie there's a bunch of tiny coincidental stuff happening related to cats and French/France. There's a couple of names here and there and another character mentions looking through a cat door. The cat itself comes up and everyone starts speaking French at one point (I know the film takes place somewhere where that makes sense, but it still fits).

Maybe I'm reaching, but it's pretty neat. There's also a couple nods about peoples names being the same but them not being related, the obvious one being the two kids with the same last name and birthday but no indication of relation (which is almost exactly one of the examples the main character gives as a type of coincidence that might precede a major event)

Underrated film and my favorite recent"zombie" movie. Takes place in small town Canada, so the French makes sense.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook posted:

Even with a ton of childhood nostalgia it's not really that great a movie to me even though (and perhaps slightly because) I can tell the people working on it were really giving their all; Spielberg is infamous for his daddy issues and Robin Williams had an almost pathological need to be loved, combine the two and it's a wonder the movie isn't even more cloying and sentimental than it already is.

Off-topic, the 2003 live-action Peter Pan starring the kid from Cyber Seduction was a pretty good adaptation. And the upcoming NBC live show starring Christopher Walken as Captain Hook looks like one way or another it's going to be amazing:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Alternative pants posted:

Underrated film and my favorite recent"zombie" movie. Takes place in small town Canada, so the French makes sense.

Its really great, even if it goes way downhill after the halfway. Also just remembered that the cat is called Honey, which is the term of endearment the one woman uses all the time.

Watching Shaun of the dead right now and realized a few things that didn't get mentioned. The winchester is probably a reference to the Night of the Living Dead, its the same rifle they have in there. There's also a poster for a pool knockout competition in the pub. And I just realized that the kid working at Shaun's place is Noodle, the guy that calls Ed looking for weed at the start.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

RandomFerret posted:

If you are insulting this outfit you and me are going to have words outside.

Really though this was the most bad rear end thing when I was kid. The only person in the entire pirate fight that had some kind of armor on. Then he freaking died.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WELL MAYBE IF HE HAD GATHERED A FEW MORE BONES IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SO EASY TO STAB HIM THROUGH HIS ARMOR

edit: still pretty easy, though??? bones are not a good thing to armor yourself with

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Darth Freddy posted:

Really though this was the most bad rear end thing when I was kid. The only person in the entire pirate fight that had some kind of armor on. Then he freaking died.

It's why Goons love it. Rufio spends all his time learning how to be an amazing pirate killer and Lost Boy. He dies.

Thud spends all his time eating giant pretend sandwiches and getting fat. He kills like 20 pirates and gets to be the leader.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Peter Pan is Satan, represented by his temping ways and offer of eternal youth. (Among other things).

Why more remakes don't pick up on this I have no idea.

Edit: Neverland freezes over when Pan leaves. It's not exactly subtle.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Oct 18, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Razorwired posted:

It's why Goons love it. Rufio spends all his time learning how to be an amazing pirate killer and Lost Boy. He dies.

Thud spends all his time eating giant pretend sandwiches and getting fat. He kills like 20 pirates and gets to be the leader.

So his name is Thud Pan now, right? You get to be the leader, you get to be the Pan.

Thud Pan is fun to say.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Razorwired posted:

I spent an inordinate part of the 90's wondering just what the hell that rainbow pudding was at the feast.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

Peter Pan is Satan, represented by his temping ways and offer of eternal youth. (Among other things).

Why more remakes don't pick up on this I have no idea.

Edit: Neverland freezes over when Pan leaves. It's not exactly subtle.

I had forgotten that last bit so I searched for 'peter pan satan' and found an amazingly schizophrenic website (well two actually but this is the better one.)

http://www.trickedbythelight.com/tbtl/movies.shtml

If you want weird takes on subtle movie moments this is a goldmine. I mean yeah, for the author's purposes a Mountain Dew commercial or Star Trek Voyager ep is a movie but they also talk about films.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nth Doctor posted:

I spent an inordinate part of the 90's wondering just what the hell that rainbow pudding was at the feast.

Whipped cake frosting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I watched half of that movie once (my roommates put it on) and thought it was really good but was absolutely not in the mood to get freaked out as much as I was. It's still on Netflix so maybe I have a perfect Halloween movie.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is a pretty awesome channel that focuses on subtle movie stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjFqcJQXGZ6T6sxyFB-5i6A

For example, here's a scene from Silence of the Lambs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V-k-p4wzxg

He even makes Michael Bay look like he knows what hes doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Oct 19, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bay always knows what he's doing. He just doesn't care what others think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah it's pretty amazing people still think Michael Bay is some sort of hack. Dude is like the most cynical sell-out genius who ever lived. He knows exactly who he is, what he's doing, and why he's doing it and that leads to him getting paid mad "gently caress off" sums of money.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

I just assumed it was melted superman-flavor ice cream.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Bay always knows what he's doing. He just doesn't care what others think.

I would more frame it as, 'he know's what he's doing, but he doesn't know what he should be doing.'

I mean, he probably thinks that he's making great films (no capital 'g') but he could take notes on how to make certain scenes more impressive and important if he didn't try to make all of his scenes impressive.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Maybe he just knows that his core audience doesn't really give a poo poo about subtle symbolic cinematography and really just want watch a few hours of mindless action. :shrug:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

syscall girl posted:

Well since you brought up the book... People do age in Neverland in the book, and Peter kills the Lost Boys when they start to grow up. Which really does seem to fit in with Peter being Satan, or at least kind of evil/cruel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peter Pan was a villain in Once Upon A Time, right? I know they made Hook into an ally of the protagonists and also a really hot guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I just watched this today and it was pretty great with some engaging acting. When Mazzy started saying other words instead of Pontypool in the beginning, I wondered where that was going as well as all the references to the cat/cats. I'll probably revisit it another day and try to pick up other clues.