Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Also this:

Gundam hammer! The best and yet least practical of all gundam weapons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Getting it under 100k would murder it, this is the best I can do with very little effort. Could probably do better if you removed the background but that's too much work right now.

Apologies.

He sure does take up a lot of space with his dance though, a very expressive duder.

Thanks for the try!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Sharkopath posted:

Who wore it better?!?

Turn-A did, but hot drat that looks so cool. G-Self looks so much better when given a decent amount of the animation budget.

Same can't be said for all of that scene, though. Those birds are just lazily animated.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

Turn-A did, but hot drat that looks so cool. G-Self looks so much better when given a decent amount of the animation budget.

Same can't be said for all of that scene, though. Those birds are just lazily animated.

If you wanna talk about what makes cool fights, especially when its on a tighter budget like this show seems to be so far, so much of it is based on timing and impact. The fight this episode was really incredible in that regard, I was blown away by how energetic they made it for how short it was. Theres good enough fluidity in certain actions, but it's really carried by how well placed and composed the main dynamic movements are. A quick shot of a hatch opening from a leg and missiles fusillading outwards, the arc of that swing of the beam saber, where the explosion has already happened before it even made contact, the sliced fingers, the grapple for the beam lance, it's all a bit of what I really like from this show. It's an attention to detail, and devotion to exploring the little details, even when they aren't really necessary for the larger movements of plot. The animators and artists have an eye for simple dynamic composition, it was one of my favorite things from the turn a fights as well, which were also not flush with budget. They have to make do with what they have, and decide which shots are worth the frames, I think they succeeded pretty well there and here also.

Also the soundtrack kicked in, so that helped buoy and punctuate the scene.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I have a feeling I'm going to like Rariya and Klim.

"I get that a lot. :smug:"

Also that fight was fantastic. I'm really warming up to this show.

It's still really weird seeing stuff I associate with older Gundams, like the "character on a blurry background while we hear their thoughts" sequence, combined with modern animation and art.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 17, 2014

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to like Rariya and Klim.

"I get that a lot. :smug:"

Also that fight was fantastic. I'm really warming up to this show.
The best part is that he wasn't even smug. It was just a fact.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you wanna talk about the budget too, I think it's pretty obvious that either in time or money they didn't have too much of it to go around. I would not be surprised if Bandai gave build fighters higher priority, since the model sales made them a bajillion dollars, and the last Tomino gundam show didn't do too hot, even if it is objectively THE BEST GUNDAM.

Anime production is mega frantic from what I understand, and they don't even have an OP, it's a clipshow taking scenes from these episodes and some pieces from the next one coming up. Hopefully the rumors about there being a real op, either for spoiler reasons or because it's just not done yet, are true though, and it'll show up shortly after that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope both end up satisfactory in the end, I'm very excited about both properties right now and hopeful for what they'll bring to the table going forward.

I just like G-Reco a bit more right now, cause I love Tomino and all his Tominoisms.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm very hopeful, and very excitable.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

That fish is going to die, isn't it? :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat and Useless posted:

I'm expecting either the fish dying to trigger her memory, or she's going to remember she's evil and drop it on purpose for dramatic effect.

Also regarding the G-Self's little core booster. If this is going to go full-blown nanites and Black History, I'm half expecting at some point for the G-Self to get destroyed, eject the Core Booster, and then use nanites to rebuild itself around the pod.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Fat and Useless posted:

Tomino the Butcher strikes again. :argh:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I wish the G-Self looked a bit weirder. Like it's meant to be this weird mystery machine and it can put out strange energy and poo poo, but design-wise it doesn't really look more advanced than any of the other pirate machines or the Elfs the Godwanans use, it just has a different aesthetic style. It doesn't have the same impact of something like the Unicorn or even the Gundam in 0079, where they have this sense that they're a league above any other machine in a given scene.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I think an important aspect of episode four we are all overlooking is how Noredo picked up a person more or less her own size and ran with her like it wasn't no thang:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Alright I have to admit that was pretty good and tantalizing. The fight was pretty neat, and it's interesting to see the mix of ideas from Xabungle and Turn A that are showing up. The Capital are basically the Innocent, sans domes, but then the Moon Race might be out there, ready to kick their asses or something? And Bellri, Aila and Raraiya are Moon Race newtypes or something???

I thought Bellri's preview line was pretty funny too.

"You want to watch it now, I bet?" :argh: gently caress you bellri you smug rear end

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

I think an important aspect of episode four we are all overlooking is how Noredo picked up a person more or less her own size and ran with her like it wasn't no thang:

And people say cheerleading ain't a real sport. Noredo is a girl who knows the importance of lifting AND leg day.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I've seen it mentioned over the internet in various places that episode 4 revived some people's flagging interest in the show and I'm honestly curious as to why. It's got pretty much the same writing style (AKA Tomino as gently caress) as the first 3 eps, and the new revelations this episode about potential and current conflicts are neat factoids but not really what you need to get invested in the setting and characters.

I thought that if you enjoyed the first three episodes you'd like this one too and that if you didn't like how things went earlier you'd think it was more of the same.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This episode was a lot more blatant about what's actually going on and less reliant on you picking up context clues and paying close attention to one off lines to pick up on stuff, so I can see why people who were baffled are a bit more into it after the last episode. It also had a reasonably cool fight scene actually featuring the protagonist Gundam.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

This episode was a lot more blatant about what's actually going on and less reliant on you picking up context clues and paying close attention to one off lines to pick up on stuff, so I can see why people who were baffled are a bit more into it after the last episode. It also had a reasonably cool fight scene actually featuring the protagonist Gundam.

Something about the pacing was a lot better for me, personally. It felt like an episode of Turn A Gundam, and I'm all for that.

NotALizardman posted:

"You want to watch it now, I bet?" :argh: gently caress you bellri you smug rear end

He's right though!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I've seen it mentioned over the internet in various places that episode 4 revived some people's flagging interest in the show and I'm honestly curious as to why. It's got pretty much the same writing style (AKA Tomino as gently caress) as the first 3 eps, and the new revelations this episode about potential and current conflicts are neat factoids but not really what you need to get invested in the setting and characters.

I thought that if you enjoyed the first three episodes you'd like this one too and that if you didn't like how things went earlier you'd think it was more of the same.

The writing is Tomino as gently caress but it was also pretty concise and on-point and most of the weird Tomino element made sense (in a Tomino way) aside from the baffling inability for people to give more than half a gently caress about anything. It's easy to see why people are picking up on it.

That or it was the large amount of Klim Nick.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wispy beam sabres are the best beam sabres. They just look more deadly somehow.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I've seen it mentioned over the internet in various places that episode 4 revived some people's flagging interest in the show and I'm honestly curious as to why.

Imp and Shark pretty much nailed it for me. The pacing was better, there was a good fight, some interesting mysteries were brought up, Klim Nick being even better than last episode.

Sharkopath posted:

He's right though!

I never said he wasn't!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, Raraya is definitely slowly regaining her memories/sanity. Maybe she'll even have a personality one day.

Also, Klim Nick is great.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In the middle of the episode she was pretty coherent. She was pretty cold and distant, but even a cold, distant person knows that offering to share your bread is only the polite thing to do.

(Her brief conversation with Klim was p funny, dude just immediately shuts down her flirting)

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I wonder if Klim realizes that he got humiliated twice in one day by the same guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NotALizardman posted:

I thought Bellri's preview line was pretty funny too.

Hah, I was thinking the same. The best thing is that by this point I'm pretty sure Tomino is fully predicting what the fandom's thinking and Bell's preview lines are his way of showing it. "Even if you don't want to watch, watch!" in the beginning, where the series wasn't exactly impressive and it was really confusing, going all the way to this when the series is making sense and being cool.

Overall a really solid episode. I've gotten accustomed to everyone being far more chill than any normal person would be, and I kind of liked how in the kidnapper-kidnapee chat, neither side ever bothered to answer the other's questions, they just sent questions of their own. Neither the kidnapper nor Bell showed weakness, and Bell's "I'm of no value as a hostage" was actually a really nice look into his relationship with his mother if he was honest. Talking about his mother, showing her actually react with something other than weird calmness and be obviously angry at her son's kidnapping being used for someone's advantage was really good, as was finally explaining why they allowed the G-Self to get stolen alongside three people getting kidnapped, though it was obvious it was on purpouse. It was actually pretty clever.

Purple-hair instructor is cool because he acts like a more normal person and actually seems to realize what a war is. Also he's super-skilled in a blatantly weak MS, so that gives him points. Klim Nick is the best character, as per usual, and his Montero is probably the best MS in the series right now, I really like the javelin. I'm even okay with him making Bell pilot the G-Self despite the obvious dangers in that, considering 1) it was to get information, and 2) he did take measures to make sure Bellri didn't just run away in taking Noredo and Raraiya hostage. He is another person who seems to realize the situation he's in, if perhaps not as much as the instructor.

The only thing that annoyed me was Bell's entire behaviour during the fight. He "owes a debt" to the pirates? Why? If it's killing Cahill, it makes no sense, he's clearly shown he doesn't feel guilty about it (even in this episode). If it isn't, there's no explanation. His attempt to stop the fight was good, even if Klim totally hosed it up, but then basically siding entirely with the pirates was really weird. Also I want to know what the weapon used before the beam saber was, it was a lot more impressive, despite the series wanting to say otherwise.

He deciding to stick with the pirates to learn about the G-Self, even moreso after learning of the threat from space, (whatever that is) was good, but his exchange with Noredo there confused the hell out of me, it felt like both were on totally different subjects.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The fact that we get all this non-essential dialogue and detail in a TV anime in the year of our lord 2014 warms my heart :3:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Blaze Dragon posted:

The only thing that annoyed me was Bell's entire behaviour during the fight. He "owes a debt" to the pirates? Why? If it's killing Cahill, it makes no sense, he's clearly shown he doesn't feel guilty about it (even in this episode). If it isn't, there's no explanation. His attempt to stop the fight was good, even if Klim totally hosed it up, but then basically siding entirely with the pirates was really weird. Also I want to know what the weapon used before the beam saber was, it was a lot more impressive, despite the series wanting to say otherwise.

He doesn't feel guilty about defending himself / Aida, but he still knows how much killing Cahill affected her. He feels bad about that part. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

And he doesn't so much "side entirely with the pirates" as stop the three dudes attacking him, who just happen to all be with the Capital Army. Don't overthink it:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, some more curious background details.

Gondwan and Ameria are at war for whatever reason, which may factor into the energy expenditure issue. It may also add to why Ameria - and more specifically, Aida - find the Capital's argument of 'we have to control energy distribution to keep mankind from destroying itself' to be a load of bunk, because evidently the two sides have found a reason to fight anyway, if not because of the Capital's policy.

The Ag-Tech Taboo (I think that's what they called it) seems to be both a plot device and an in universe reason for why a time period one thousand years ahead of Victory doesn't even have beam sabers as a norm. Obviously, its starting to get ignored, but it reeks of something akin to Gurren Lagann's suppression of the human population, so as to avoid unwanted attention.

Interesting that Bellri claims that his mother knew nothing of the Capital Army's formation, If that's true (and not just Bellri trying to stick up for his parent), then the Army's formation is evidently something decided by the few, not agreed upon by the entirety of the Capital's upper hierarchy. Which could factor into the Colonel's decision to let Aid and such go, if he's aware of the secrets going on behind the scenes.

Count me in the 'this is related to Turn A somehow' theories. Of course, that could be Tomino deliberately laying a red herring, but the whole 'threat from space' thing has me thinking.

Edit: ...Wait between all this whole 'threat from space debacle', and the overt religious nature of the Capital, I think I just realised where the reconquista in the title has come from.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 17, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It does sound like Bellri legit knew nothing about the Capital Army and the fact that he says it over and over seems to me like he's mainly saying that in addition to that he knows nothing about what their goals or intentions could be.

Which seems like part of the reason why he'd side with the pirates after his attempt at talking was interrupted. Despite disagreements on energy policy he does know where they're coming from! It'd probably be a different scenario altogether if the Capital Guard was sent instead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the implication is that the capital so tightly controls the supply and flow of energy that neither ameria or gondwan have enough access to fully sustain themselves, so they've resorted to raiding each other for that supply instead.

And that boiled over into a full scale war between the factions.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Maybe they can no longer generate enough to go around, maybe they are personally stockpiling it for their own use, maybe the outside threat is already actively impairing their operation.Any of those would be reason enough to establish the new army to curtail the international response.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Still liking this new Gundam quite a bit so far. Bellri is a highly entertaining main pilot. Can't say I like Aida yet though, I don't hate her or anything however which is a plus. Just need that one moment to happen that'll win me over. It doesn't help I'm still suffering from that horrible sickness of liking the non-main-girl more, aka Noredo.

Also yes Klim is fabulous. :allears:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Naw bellri is just a really chill protagonist, he doesn't really let anything hold him down for very long.

Bellri is basically the polar opposite of Kamille "IT'S NOT A GIRL'S NAME" Bidan. He has absolutely no hang-ups whatsoever and I love him for it. :3:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looking forward to Raraya's full recovery from her decompression retard syndrome, though at least she's not a literal screaming baby like Karlman.

I like the idea that she's a Moonrace spy. She looks enough like Loran, and Earthrace people used plenty of captured/discovered Moonrace suits in Turn A, after all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the Bellri/Loran team-up in SRW.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the Bellri/Loran team-up in SRW.

Him and Garrod would probably get along pretty well too. Hell, get Jiron in there for the whole "post-apocalyptic Reals" crew. :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just want to see a straight man funny man bit between Klim Nick and Harry Ord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm looking forward to the TOTALLY NOT LUIN and TOTALLY NOT CHAR Luin/Quattro team up.

(I'm hype for next episode and hope Bellri notices TOTALLY NOT LUIN is actually Luin from the get go.)

• Locked thread