Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Allen Wren posted:

People sure aren't posting like they're newbies.

:hf: I like you, :justpost:-brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
All mafia newbies are also paranoid.

I know my posts have been pretty scattershot but if we're going by the :justpost: mantra I fail to see how this is any worse than relentless jokeposting.

I'd have been happy leaving the votes on Kerro for a little while longer just to see if anyone would be crazy enough to bite, but oh well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fathis Munk posted:

Some of you have played mafia before no? I know this is a newbie game but I get the feeling there still are tiers of experience.

yeah you can view peoples game history on votefinder fwiw

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Dragonatrix posted:

yeah you can view peoples game history on votefinder fwiw

Oh nice!

I'm not criticising the paranoia in itself, it's just that I find it fun how it leads you to suspect most of the people having posted a lot of stuff in here I guess :shrug: all of my posts are dumb and useless tbh cause I'm p sure I won't suddenly figure out the scum on d1.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Still think Allen Wren and blacknyte are the most obvious candidates. blacknyte continually asking for pointers on how to avoid suspicion has not done much to clear his name after his first couple of fishy votes.

2 out of 3 is pretty good Hiipfire!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Carpet Shark posted:

Yo, Kerro, how do you feel about these people voting you?

How do you feel about them? You've been posting but haven't really commented on anyone.

(Ok, I know I've been posting a lot but I'm about to leave work and go do stuff for a while.)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Gabriel Pope posted:

(Ok, I know I've been posting a lot but I'm about to leave work and go do stuff for a while.)

Same, except I'm going to take the train. You'll have to make do without my delectable content!

Also being totally analytical about scum like Fast Luck for example strikes me as a good strategy to get people to vote for other people. Especially amongst easily influenced newbies.

:wink:

blacknyte
Oct 13, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

blacknyte continually asking for pointers on how to avoid suspicion has not done much to clear his name after his first couple of fishy votes.

Where have I done this? I did not understand a term used in a case. When I understood the term, I immediately voted someone because their use of the term was completely without merit to justify a vote.

What do you expect me to do to 'clear my name' and why are my votes 'fishy'? This content reeks of falsity.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I played once, offsite. I was a watcher. It sucked.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

Gabriel Pope posted:

blacknyte continually asking for pointers on how to avoid suspicion has not done much to clear his name after his first couple of fishy votes.

blacknyte posted:

Could someone please explain these scum slips to me? I don't see what anyone is talking about.

Is this what you're talking about, Gabe Pope? I think it's a bit disingenuous to make that initial post without quoting blacknyte 'asking for pointers'. To clarify, I'm assuming you are arguing that he secretly wanted people to tell him what could possibly constitute a scumslip so that he wouldn't make those same mistakes in the future. It seems far-fetched to me.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

How do you feel about them? You've been posting but haven't really commented on anyone.

Fathis Munk's making me wary. I know the 'I'm new here and I don't know what I'm doing!' feeling from last game I played so I have sympathy, but at the same time they haven't even been trying to contribute and they're scoffing at the people actually making reads. It could be that the people making reads are trying to appear town by taking the game seriously (which I will talk about in a moment), as Fathis implied here:

Fathis Munk posted:

Also being totally analytical about scum like Fast Luck for example strikes me as a good strategy to get people to vote for other people. Especially amongst easily influenced newbies.

But it could just as easily be that the scum players are trying to derail serious discussion about scum by goofing around and telling people they are being 'paranoid'! Fathis proclaimed themselves a poo poo-poster but I think it's a bit much to expect to ride through the game without people questioning you. Also I know these are jokes but there's been a fair few of them:

Fathis Munk posted:

Why can't we all just be town and live in peace and harmony? I launch an appeal to the scum and say : come forward, surrender your weapons and become a part of our idyllic community.

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe all scum should just commit suicide right now, save us some time.

Overall I'm getting some scum vibes.

As for Fast Luck, I think their posting has been genuine and pretty solid in terms of explanation for their actions. I am not dismissing Fathis's concerns out of hand, though (I wanted to point out that their tactics could also be scummy). Fast Luck could be going 'totally analytical' in order to appear nice and towny, especially since it would be very easy to make an early vote like his on Kerro. It might gain traction on a difficult day like D1 but it could still easily be redacted later without incriminating him. At the same time it may have just been a way to get things rolling. I've got my eyes on Fast Luck but I wouldn't feel comfortable voting his way at the moment.

Dragonatrix has only made a few posts and they're all either jokes or technical clarifications, so no read there. Kerro seems to think Dragonatrix might be scummy because they voted for him after people started placing serious votes but I don't think everyone slides into the nitty-gritty of the game at the same time so I'm not reading anything into that.

And as for you, Gabriel Pope! I feel like the justifications for your scum leanings have indeed been weak and I feel like it's a result of minimal explanation. You could be scum who's having difficulty gathering substantial material to paint a town player as scummy, or you could be town who is just not justifying their leanings as much as they could. If the latter is the case my advice would be to explain your thought process a little more. Even if you feel that some of your thoughts leading to who might be scummy are irrelevant or unrefined, it helps give everyone a little more insight!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Scum can and will make "scum hunting" posts in order to blend in with town and escape detection. From my point of view, trying to cut off the joke stuff early to get the real game started seems like an unlikely gambit for scum, but I guess that's what I'd say regardless!

And yes, I find Munk's posts a bit strange. You'd think a new player would either a) be curious to start playing, or b) be lurky for a few days to see how stuff works.

Another random thought: joke self-votes like HiipFire's make me raise an eyebrow. It kind of seems like the scum equivalent of riding a bike saying "look ma, no hands!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ok, realtalk :

I don't think Fast Luck is scum from what I've seen (and if he turns out to be, I'll have made an rear end of myself :v:)
I p much shitposted the entire thread cause it was a slow day at work and posting dumb stuff is the way I roll in p much any thread I post in. What I find funny is how apparently my :justpost: attitude paint me as scum.

I am not trying to contribute atm since it seems to me that its too early to really be able to tell who's who, at least on my experience level. What I'm scoffing at is not the fact that people make reads, it's that they erroneously put me into the scum territory because of my joke posts :confused: I mean you do what you want but if posting dumb poo poo makes me suspicious I guess I'll never last very far in these games. I will not restrain myself from :justpost:ing at the very least on the first day cause that would simply not be fun for me.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fast Luck posted:

And yes, I find Munk's posts a bit strange. You'd think a new player would either a) be curious to start playing, or b) be lurky for a few days to see how stuff works.

Where is the fun in lurking ? I'm reading your posts and trying to learn from the way you think but if I wanted to lurk I'd just spectate. The fun part for me is posting stuff for other people to read and to react to what other people posted. Right now my playing plan is : goof around until I figure out something better to do. I've never been that huge of a planner :shrug:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fathis Munk posted:

I am not trying to contribute atm since it seems to me that its too early to really be able to tell who's who, at least on my experience level.
tbh for me it's pretty hard to tell who's who all game long haha, so eventually you just gotta start swappign serious posts and make the best uninformed call you can and go with that.

for me i was thinking may as well get started with that now, but to be fair that might be because i just came from that "fanfic mafia" thread which was less a mafia game and more a shitposting festival that lasted over 100 pages and i signed up for this because i wanted to play a real mafia game.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'll make my calls when I feel them. Til then I'll shitpost and watch. It's like lurking but with more posts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My suspicions have been weak because we're still barely out of joke phase and I don't really have much conviction in them, but I post them anyways because I want to get discussion going and provoke some reactions. Which is part of the reason that I haven't been explaining them thoroughly--I didn't want to come out and say "I think this case on Kerro is obviously bullshit because it's based on 3 jokeposts from page 1, but I want to see who jumps on it and who defends him once he has a couple votes on him", because that defeats the purpose. There was some risk that scum would ride that vote all the way to a lynch, but I was at work on a slow day so I was around to unvote if anyone else started piling on. And in the worst case scenario, if 3 people just coincidentally happened to rapidly take Kerro from 4 votes to 7 before anyone had a chance to back off, well, that would be a pretty good clue as to who some of the scum were! (Although I'm aware that in that scenario I would not exactly be above suspicion myself.)

Sorry about the lack of quotes--not trying to be disingenuous, just lazy. But the game is starting to get a little more serious and you've put forward a good effortpost, so I'll explain my main two suspicions in a bit more detail:

Allen Wren posted:

Well, like most people say, day one's a crapshoot. I'm just going to chill on the counter for now.

Allen Wren's first post announces his intention to just sit on the sidelines.

Allen Wren posted:

Well, I was going to ask why you thought I was being scummy, but apparently it's not up for discussion. gently caress.

Also, for gently caress's sake, Pope, chill a bit. You're going LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC LOGIC and running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

He immediately becomes defensive when people cast suspicion in his direction (but still without providing any content.)

Allen Wren posted:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm aware that trying to look for patterns in the random noise of the first day is going to be largely fruitless and I don't actually expect much to come from it,
Correct.

He actively discourages scumhunting. Kerro called me out because I don't put a lot of stock in the earliest and least informed phases on the game, but I think it's better than nothing, and at least I'm trying to generate some action that can be useful later. Allen Wren would apparently prefer we just talk about toasters for another 24 hours.

In general, he's been posting a lot without actually trying to contribute. A lot of your arguments against Fathis apply to Allen Wren at well, but at least I give Fathis some credit for poking things along in a half-assed sort of way; Allen Wren hasn't contributed anything. That said, I'm still not super convinced about him until I see more posting.

blacknyte, on the other hand:

blacknyte posted:

Out of all of the posts so far, I like Pez's vote on Fathis Munk the least. Here he talks negatively against a growing lynch on Kerro without making a case on Fathis Munk that is compelling in any way.

##vote Pez

Jumps into the thread and immediately latches onto the most recent and most obvious vote. Not a completely terrible move, but...

blacknyte posted:

What is a scum slip?

I do not see anything that would indicate Kerro scum slipped. This vote looks scummy.

##vote Dragonatrix

After asking for details on scum slips and how to spot them, he flails his way over to Dragonatrix's jokevote and jumps on it. Doesn't bother mentioning any reasoning at all, just that it "looks scummy" because he didn't understand the gag.

blacknyte posted:

This is a misconception that I've seen veterans on this forum talk about before. I couldn't find any examples quickly.

Kerro's alignment is irrelevant to Pez's negative treatment towards the growing lynch to be scummy. A common scum play is to talk negatively about the growing lynch of a town player so that you look more town when that player flips town. A common scum play is also to talk negatively about the growing lynch of a scum player to try to push the town in a different direction and, therefore, save their scum buddy.

That said, I think the 'scum slip' vote is the worst vote of the day right now, so that's where my vote lies.

Could someone please explain these scum slips to me? I don't see what anyone is talking about.

Where have I done this? I did not understand a term used in a case. When I understood the term, I immediately voted someone because their use of the term was completely without merit to justify a vote.

What do you expect me to do to 'clear my name' and why are my votes 'fishy'? This content reeks of falsity.

Still preoccupied with scum strategy and willing to stick to his guns on a case based on a jokevote that he doesn't understand, and starting to get a bit touchy. Also, "this content reeks of falsity"? Who even talks like that?

Obviously, blacknyte is either 1) scum or 2) a humorless nerd and in any case I vote that we lynch and/or swirlie him.

##vote blacknyte

(Again, I'm more interested in seeing where this goes than I am in actually lynching blacknyte, but unlike Kerro I think he's a legit lynch candidate.)

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I am utterly confused at this point, so I'm leaving my vote where it is for now. Although the argument about blacknyte is one that may sway me, mostly because he voted for me so quickly

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Pez posted:

I am utterly confused at this point, so I'm leaving my vote where it is for now. Although the argument about blacknyte is one that may sway me, mostly because he voted for me so quickly

Yeah I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired but that's kinda what I'm feeling too. I actually find most of those arguments convincing but I'm just not sure if I can trust them :tinfoil:

(Yes in truth I'm also paranoid :v:)

Sorry Kerro, let's just leave that vote there for now, luck of the draw. More or less.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Votecount for Day 1

Kerro (2): Fast Luck, Gabriel Pope, Fathis Munk, Dragonatrix, Fast Luck, Gabriel Pope
Anias (1): Gabriel Pope, Gabriel Pope, AtrociousToaster
HiipFire (1): HiipFire
Dragonatrix (1): blacknyte
Gabriel Pope (1): Kerro
Fathis Munk (1): Pez
blacknyte (1): Gabriel Pope

Not Voting (5): Allen Wren, Anias, Epsilon Plus, Fast Luck, The Carpet Shark

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lunch. There is currently no deadline set.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Votes on seven different people. This is shameful.

Hell, let's make it eight.

##vote Allen Wren ch

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's day one and there's three scum in this game and I'm currently thinking the scum comes from this group:

Allen Wren
AtrociousToaster
Dragonatrix
Epsilon Plus
HiipFire

In the future we will see how right or wrong this day one post was.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Of course, this is the first chance I get to sit down and reply to the thread since this morning, but Gabriel's going to think I'm being scummy because OH GOD WREN REPLIED an hour and a half IMMEDIATELY AFTER SOMEONE CALLED HIM SCUM.

Of course, Gabriel is also the person who's going through everyone's posts piece by piece (while ignoring the fact that I responded to the posts I did because they were the most recent when I woke up) and also calls other people humorless nerds. Look in the mirror, son.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fast Luck posted:

Votecount for Day 1

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lunch.

:yum:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anias posted in the sign up thread last night. Is he lost?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Personally I agree that going through all those posts is kind of lame and I'd just as soon not bother, but Shark asked for quotes nicely so :shobon:

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

My suspicions have been weak because we're still barely out of joke phase and I don't really have much conviction in them, but I post them anyways because I want to get discussion going and provoke some reactions. Which is part of the reason that I haven't been explaining them thoroughly--I didn't want to come out and say "I think this case on Kerro is obviously bullshit because it's based on 3 jokeposts from page 1, but I want to see who jumps on it and who defends him once he has a couple votes on him", because that defeats the purpose.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to explain your thoughts too much in case you give scum material. Sometimes I worry about discussing why I feel someone's actions are town, just in case they are actually scum and I've given them and easy excuse to jump onto. But thank you for explaining your thoughts, I found it very helpful.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

Of course, Gabriel is also the person who's going through everyone's posts piece by piece (while ignoring the fact that I responded to the posts I did because they were the most recent when I woke up) and also calls other people humorless nerds. Look in the mirror, son.

This whole thing is the kind of attitude that is inverse to catching scum. Going through people's posts is a good thing for town. Even if a scum player is picking out weird things to make a case, that is helpful to town because figuring out the motivations of the poster also helps town catch scum.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Soooooo the deadline is in about 7 hours. Barring some huge new development I'd still prefer to lynch Allen or blacknyte, but are we even going to be able to muster a lynch given that it's Saturday and people may not be around a lot?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Does someone have to get 7 votes to be lynched or does it lynch whoever has the most when the deadline flips?

Anyways I'm out of town and on mobile but I'll be around and make sure to check back a couple times before the deadline.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I should be around for deadline. I've been reading the thread but it's been a busy weekend for me trying to get my fence prepped and painted in between rain showers and a lot of other stuff.

I gotta go return some of the equipment I hired but when I get back I'm going to have a proper re-read cos it seems we actually have quite a bit to go on for D1 and I think if we're smart about it (and people are around) we could have a pretty good chance of hitting scum.

Gabriel's more recent posts feel a lot more towny to me. I have a pretty strong reaction to the 'D1 is just a crapshoot' distancing posts since I don't really agree, and the repetition of it felt quite forced to me, but I can see it as just being genuine. So ##unvote for now.

A no-lynch would be really, really bad as it gives us very little to go on for D2. I still feel pretty strongly that Fathis is probably scum, but I want to have a better read before I vote.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Fast Luck posted:

Anias posted in the sign up thread last night. Is he lost?
You can read me however you want.

Fathis Munk posted:

I'll make my calls when I feel them. Til then I'll shitpost and watch. It's like lurking but with more posts.

Yeah, I don't think that's correct or useful. It's very scummy to me in fact in a vacuum.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I agree that Fathis is suspicious and voting him is preferable to a no-lynch (or most other lynch votes) but I think we have better candidates. Fathis has been pretty willing to put himself out there and although he hasn't contributed a lot he is still participating more than a lot of our lurkers.

I'm not writing him off, but I think there are more immediate priorities. Allen Wren has been much more aggressively unhelpful and blacknyte and Dragonatrix have been laying down some really, really bad votes--blacknyte seems worse because he seems to be serious, but Dragonatrix's non-committal jokevotes would be good cover for scum laying low.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I feel like we're headed toward a no lynch which is not very good. We need to pick someone and see if we can gather the votes to lynch 'em.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

HiipFire is already voting for himself, so I wouldn't mind trying to ride that to a lynch. Hiipfire's attitude also has not been a helpful one, quoting Kerro's long post and saying "jesus christ im not going to read that" or whatever. Anyone feeling a HiipFire vote?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm sticking with Fathis. Gut instinct and all that. Also I'm not entirely sure how to change votes.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

But yes this all posturing, I'm just going to go down the line of my own reads. I think the Gabriel Pope stuff is compelling.

##vote Gabriel Pope

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Whatever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

##vote Allen Wren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The deadline is in 10 minutes. This is a no lynch. That's lovely play by us!! Everyone can't be going off in their own direction next time.

I'll put my vote on HiipFire because that will get it to two, just in case a bunch of people suddenly show up in the last few minutes.

##vote HiipFire

But I don't think it's happening.

• Locked thread