Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What elements of Batgirl's mini re-launch are being carried over from Gail's run? She's dumping her old costume, roommate, and environment that I know of. I don't remember Barbara ever having this computer-like memory before.

I've read this book and it reminds me a lot more of a Stephanie Brown book than a Barbara Gordon book. The way it's presented seems to ignore that Barbara is connected to the bat-family (She's over-drawing her account?) and doesn't seem to acknowledge any of her time as Oracle, and treats her a lot more like a college freshman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Barbara has always had an eidetic memory, even in her most early incarnations, but it's one of those things that is heavily underused. Like how Wonder Woman can talk to animals.

And yeah very little carries over, continuity aside. The thing is that the book can't reference her time as Oracle because Barbara apparently never was Oracle? DC keeps changing up their story with that honestly, so it's hard to be sure when there's no consistent confirmation. It does seem weird that they're ignoring Barbara's obvious ties to Bruce, with her not just calling him up and saying "hey man my stuff burned down, I'm sure you got something extra right?"

I agree with saying this is a book more in tone for Stephanie than Barbara. To me it feels like DC is really regretting their decision with making Barbara into Batgirl again, but they're stuck in this situation where they can't do anything about it because Oracle was such an unplanned thing to begin with. It only happened because Ostrander saw a use for the character after Killing Joke and everyone took cues from him. Even if Barbara gives up being Batgirl and becomes Oracle, the thing that made her unique (being a paraplegic hero) is taken away.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

her not just calling him up and saying "hey man my stuff burned down, I'm sure you got something extra right?"

Check out this week's Batman/Superman.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It seems like all it'd take to change this into a Stephanie Brown book is a find->replace and changing her hair color. Other than the photogenic memory, which is more of a Barbara thing than a Stephanie thing, but the drinking heavily and partying seems a lot more like a Stephanie thing than a Barbara thing. So does accidentally blowing up a whole city block because of her own ineptness. Again, Batgirl going after someone for stealing cellphones and technology, going so far as chasing someone down in the streets, is more of a Stephanie thing than a Barbara thing.

I had always seen Barbara as more intelligent, and a much better detective Batgirl, like Drake was as Robin. Cassandra was the hand to hand, stealth-based Batgirl, and Stephanie was the resourceful, dirty fighter like Jason Todd.

I still enjoyed the book a lot, though. Even as grating as the villain was using #hashtags constantly.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Check out this week's Batman/Superman.
Touche :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

It seems like all it'd take to change this into a Stephanie Brown book is a find->replace and changing her hair color. Other than the photogenic memory, which is more of a Barbara thing than a Stephanie thing, but the drinking heavily and partying seems a lot more like a Stephanie thing than a Barbara thing. So does accidentally blowing up a whole city block because of her own ineptness. Again, Batgirl going after someone for stealing cellphones and technology, going so far as chasing someone down in the streets, is more of a Stephanie thing than a Barbara thing.

I had always seen Barbara as more intelligent, and a much better detective Batgirl, like Drake was as Robin. Cassandra was the hand to hand, stealth-based Batgirl, and Stephanie was the resourceful, dirty fighter like Jason Todd.

I still enjoyed the book a lot, though. Even as grating as the villain was using #hashtags constantly.

The #villain was pretty much an embodiment of the MRA dudebro demographic that pitched a fit at the new costume because Doc Martens are way less practical for crime-fighting than stripper heels, obviously. (And I say this as a guy who HATED the redesigned Power Girl outfit from the reboot. Mostly because it looked like a B-movie 'future' outfit.)

And yeah, Juliet Kahn over at Comics Alliance mentioned in her review that this new run justified removing Oracle and all I could think was... "No, it doesn't?". The eidetic memory stuff was clever and well presented by Stewart and Tarr, but as you say, there's little other than that that would require this to be Barbara's story. Hell, if I'd been making the call in the New52 reboot? I'd probably have combined Stephanie and Cass into one character. Sure, it'd suck to lose the interesting literacy arc Cassandra went through, but you ditch the problematic League of Assassins stuff too, and you get a disabled heroine and a non-white one, rather than losing the former and barely paying lipservice to the latter.

I did enjoy the book for what it is, and will probably pick up the next few, but it kind of underlines the weird approach DC took to diversity and legacy in the relaunch.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gaz-L posted:

The #villain was pretty much an embodiment of the MRA dudebro demographic that pitched a fit at the new costume because Doc Martens are way less practical for crime-fighting than stripper heels, obviously. (And I say this as a guy who HATED the redesigned Power Girl outfit from the reboot. Mostly because it looked like a B-movie 'future' outfit.)

And yeah, Juliet Kahn over at Comics Alliance mentioned in her review that this new run justified removing Oracle and all I could think was... "No, it doesn't?". The eidetic memory stuff was clever and well presented by Stewart and Tarr, but as you say, there's little other than that that would require this to be Barbara's story. Hell, if I'd been making the call in the New52 reboot? I'd probably have combined Stephanie and Cass into one character. Sure, it'd suck to lose the interesting literacy arc Cassandra went through, but you ditch the problematic League of Assassins stuff too, and you get a disabled heroine and a non-white one, rather than losing the former and barely paying lipservice to the latter.

I did enjoy the book for what it is, and will probably pick up the next few, but it kind of underlines the weird approach DC took to diversity and legacy in the relaunch.

...Steph is a happy go lucky upbeat person who puts aside the fact that her dad is a loser super villain to fight crime.

Cass is a person who was raised by a sociopath as a weapon and overcame all that to show her humanity and fight crime.

They work so well as friends because they are major opposites who compliment each other. I don't think you could really combine the two without majorly losing important parts of each character.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

...Steph is a happy go lucky upbeat person who puts aside the fact that her dad is a loser super villain to fight crime.

Cass is a person who was raised by a sociopath as a weapon and overcame all that to show her humanity and fight crime.

They work so well as friends because they are major opposites who compliment each other. I don't think you could really combine the two without majorly losing important parts of each character.

They really should have made the New 52 book Batgirls with Steph and Cass and Barbara as a mentor. Future's End has proved the idea could work. Hell, even if they had to undo Oracle, Babs could have been the senior Batgirl.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 17, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yvonmukluk posted:

They really should have made the New 52 book Batgirls with Steph and Cass and Barbara as a mentor. Future's End has proved the idea could work. Hell, even if they had to undo Oracle, Babs could have been the senior Batgirl.

I would have been happy with this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I'd certainly have preferred to keep both, but if they were going the One True Batgirl route, I'd have grafted Stephanie's personality and backstory onto Cassandra's name and look. At least you end up with one kickass disabled hero and one Asian-American hero, instead of basically having neither like we do now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yvonmukluk posted:

We were saying that while Flashpoint was still going on. Still kinda mad about it not happening.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was actually kinda hyped about GMo's Oracle as Batgirl in the Matrix idea.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Gaz-L posted:

I was actually kinda hyped about GMo's Oracle as Batgirl in the Matrix idea.

It's such a shame that story turned out to be the only complete garbage issue of Morrison's entire Batman run.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is reading Batman Eternal necessary to understand Batman? I feel like there is something thats happened between issue 34 and 35 that I don't quite understand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You just need to know that Alfred's daughter turned up and joined the Bat-team. The stuff with him moving into the Owls' building hasn't happened yet in Eternal.

It's purposefully set where we don't have all the info. The opening vision is meant to fool you into going "This is Batman after Eternal?!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 18, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
With the Owl building I'm guessing we're gonna have some Nolan Batman poo poo in Eternal where the Cave gets wrecked and Bats has to chill in a backup base for a while

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, there's about to be this reason he might not want to operate out of the manor...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Trast posted:

But learning young twenty-something 2014 lingo means interacting with them. :v:
Interacting with people like the 26 year old girl who is drawing the book?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Interacting with people like the 26 year old girl who is drawing the book?
I'm two years younger than that, and because of my DJ gig I actually go out in public where young people are, and I have never heard anyone talking like that, except ironically.

I still liked Batgirl though.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Was there a secret Batwoman issue I missed or something? Why is she in space with Edrigan and Clayface? What the hell was that issue?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was no set up. At the end it says something like "Next month... How did we get here?!"

Here's an interview with Andreyko about it.
http://www.comicvine.com/videos/nycc-2014-marc-andreyko-talks-batwoman-in-space-an/2300-2754/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Provided the cover has bearing on the story, Damian is back by January.

http://www.newsarama.com/22490-dc-comics-solicits-spoil-robin-reveal-three-months-early.html

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Newsarama: "Do not read further, or read the DC Solicitations for January if you don't want to know the identity of Robin come December."

"Just uh, ignore the super-revealing images directly above and to the right of this sentence, though! Oops, too late, sorry! We are not good at the internet!"

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 20, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taters has until January to enjoy a Damian-less DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You got me on Tomasi's Twitter where he'd posted a page of Doug Mahnke's SM/WW pencils.

drat, I love Mahnke.

redbackground posted:

I wish he could draw an ongoing JLA forever.

He's been doing JL since Luthor joined.
It's been having fill-in pages, though, so I'm guessing he couldn't do two books at once and will jump off once this gets going.

e: and it has nothing to do with Batman. Sorry.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 20, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

You got me on Tomasi's Twitter where he'd posted a page of Doug Mahnke's SM/WW pencils.

drat, I love Mahnke.
I wish he could draw an ongoing JLA forever.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's been doing JL since Luthor joined.
It's been having fill-in pages, though, so I'm guessing he couldn't do two books at once and will jump off once this gets going.
He's not listed as the artist for issue 38 in solicits, so yeah he's coming off. A shame.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Endless Mike posted:

Taters has until January to enjoy a Damian-less DC.

Unfortunately they've been ramming him up our butts in the form of 'is he coming back tomorrow, or just next week' since the day he loving died, so not so much.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bleedingcool is running a bizarro rumor that Joel Schumacher is getting a twelve issue series with Dustin Nguyen to retell his Batman films, including the unproduced third one.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...-dustin-nguyen/

Sure!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bleedingcool is running a bizarro rumor that Joel Schumacher is getting a twelve issue series with Dustin Nguyen to retell his Batman films, including the unproduced third one.

Sure!

I actually legit want to read this.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sure!

I've been fascinated by the Batman and Superman sequels that never got made, so that actually sounds really interesting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd also read that, as if you go believe him on the special features for those movies there was a lot of studio interference to make things more "toyific."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Are you loving kidding me? Did Eternal really punked the loving Spectre?

Thank god RHATO is out of the lovely mess the bat offices are now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheJoker138 posted:

I'd also read that, as if you go believe him on the special features for those movies there was a lot of studio interference to make things more "toyific."

Of course. McDonalds had a huge Happy Meal campaign for Batman Returns that lead to a ridiculous amount of kids seeing a movie they really shouldn't see. Penguin biting that guys nose was horrifying to my eight year old self, and I'll never be fully sure how Catwoman's outfit impacted my prepubescent mind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What happened? Though the Specter is a lot lamer in the new 52 then he used to be. (Seriously his origin really sucks.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You do realize that happens to him all the time?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

You do realize that happens to him all the time?

I read Eternal just after reading Injustice so the situation was hilariously stupid to me, plus he was written like being insanely powerful on Phantom Stranger and Constantine a few months ago.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What happened? Though the Specter is a lot lamer in the new 52 then he used to be. (Seriously his origin really sucks.)

Aside of a bunch of Arkham inmates and lower magical beings getting the jump on Corrigan, he's being written with Corrigan being just stuck with the Spectre inside him and not having any control whatsover over his powers, Deacon Blackfire (who's a demon now for some reason) takes advantange of this to force Corrigan to turn into the spectre by threatening his life while also pumping him full of black magic so when the Spectre manifest itself it kinds of short circuits and explodes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

Of course. McDonalds had a huge Happy Meal campaign for Batman Returns that lead to a ridiculous amount of kids seeing a movie they really shouldn't see. Penguin biting that guys nose was horrifying to my eight year old self, and I'll never be fully sure how Catwoman's outfit impacted my prepubescent mind.

I thought Penguin biting that dudes nose off was loving awesome, but I'm pretty sure Catwoman is the reason I have a thing for chicks in latex to this day. Michelle Pfifer in that movie is the first time I ever had any real sexual thoughts. I was like 7 years old so I had no idea what I was feeling, but I knew there was something I wanted to do to her, and I wanted to do it badly.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Yeah, that's probably why. Chicks in latex is a pretty unusual fetish otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was about 10 when Batman Returns came out. I remember there was some kind of behind the scenes special on TV that made some comment about explaining how they got Michelle Pfeiffer into that suit, and my mom wouldn't let me watch it and at the time I didn't understand why.

• Locked thread