Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I wish Three Kingdoms wasn't $193k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh my god some of those Stretch Goals, I kind of hope anything that doesn't make it for the kickstarter gets released in a splat book or something cause those pop-up junctures are too cool to loose

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I hold no hope for the '96 juncture, but drat I hope we reach the Miami Vice one. :swoon:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
So am I stupid or is there no button or anything for add-ons? I want my crazy packs :saddowns:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Slightly Lions posted:

So am I stupid or is there no button or anything for add-ons? I want my crazy packs :saddowns:
You pick your basic pledge level, then add on money for your add-ons. At the end of the campaign, you'll get an email for backerkit or pledgemanager where you can tell them which add-ons you pledged extra for.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The remaining stretch goals have been revealed on the off chance they're hit:
It kills me that they hid so many badass options behind eight iterations of We're Gonna Jerk Off About Movies We Like.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

It kills me that they hid so many badass options behind eight iterations of We're Gonna Jerk Off About Movies We Like.
I love reading Robin's thoughts on movies - the appendix of FS1 is awesome - but I'd rather have the SotCW stuff by far.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

This, cause Jesus after Rumble in the Bronx I didn't really care about what movies got written up about and would have loved to have seen more of those pop-up junctures lower down on the list the pop up juncture for Feng Shui one and the Legacy of the architects of the new flesh should have been much earlier in the stretch goals.

Hell I've been thinking of adding 25 bucks onto my level (which I'm a schmuck that did a pretty high tier that I probably shouldn't have) just to get those PDFs.

Though at the rate it's been going I want to say we might get to Blowing Up Seoul and maybe the Warring States Pop Up Juncture if we're lucky

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 16, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

quote:

LOCKED - $199,000 - SotCW XVII - Legacy of the Architects

The chi bomb utterly scourged the Architects of the Flesh, abomination-wielding tyrants of the mid 21st century, from the face of the Earth. They’re gone, man, gone. Because we all know that in an action movie universe, today’s discarded bigbads never make surprise reappearances, with retribution on their minds and agony grenades in their hands. So forget this stretch goal is even here, chi warriors. Once bad guys are gone, you can always rest easy. If this stretch goal is unlocked, we'll add the Legacy of the Architects to the Secrets of the Chi War PDF.

They're mocking me with this one. :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're mocking me with this one. :argh:

Goddamnit. At least they're easy to write back in yourself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So any bets on the final tally?

I'm going to be optimistic and guess 181k.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sitting down and looking at my plans, I decided to move the 1916 juncture I was going to use in the campaign I'm running to Prohibition because I really want to see cross-time gang wars and fights between modern Triads and Chicago Mafiosi. WWI was not a good place to drop Feng Shui characters as it was, I think.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Hey you fuckers had better scrounge up $30,000 right quick so I can play Dynasty Chi Warriors :mad:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm mad that Secrets of the Chi Wars doesn't have a print option, and I'm mad that Feng Shui '96 is basically not gonna happen.

Grrrrrr.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm mad that Secrets of the Chi Wars doesn't have a print option, and I'm mad that Feng Shui '96 is basically not gonna happen.

Grrrrrr.

If we're lucky/persistent, they might be persuaded to add the money they make from their pledge manager to those stretch goals.

I know Evil Hat made a killing from BackerKit sales.

But yeah, I want 96 and architects bad. :(

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Architects were the best villains. Hopping Vampires as mobile land mines was genius.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I guess the bright side is that the triumphant return of the Architects can get moved to the splatbook they deserve?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CapnAndy posted:

I guess the bright side is that the triumphant return of the Architects can get moved to the splatbook they deserve?

I like this optimism. :gbsmith:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

6 hours to go, we've gotten up to the Warring States. 2000 away from Blowing Up The Genezone.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Captain Walker posted:

Hey you fuckers had better scrounge up $30,000 right quick so I can play Dynasty Chi Warriors :mad:

Now, us fuckers just need to scrounge up like 16.5K in 6 hours.

Let's go, fuckers.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

thelazyblank posted:

Now, us fuckers just need to scrounge up like 16.5K in 6 hours.

Let's go, fuckers.

Holy poo poo, I wasn't expecting to even get halfway there. Way to go, fuckers! Good job! :)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow. We might even get dinosaurs. Exceeded my hopes already.

Well, not all of them. Under 90 minutes for another 20k ain't happening. :(

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Are they doing the thing where they have secret paypal backing after the main Kickstarter is over accessible only from their site or should I bail?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Wow. We might even get dinosaurs. Exceeded my hopes already.

Well, not all of them. Under 90 minutes for another 20k ain't happening. :(

drat this Kickstart ha just continued to surprise me with how successful it can be

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ErichZahn posted:

Are they doing the thing where they have secret paypal backing after the main Kickstarter is over accessible only from their site or should I bail?
They haven't announced anything. I'd get in at what you can, and if you want more, they'll be using backerkit or something similar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Finished at $185k, enough for dinosaurs but just shy of Bollywood.

Now we just have to wait until August. :smithicide:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I seem to recall Hillfolk was completed remarkably quickly.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I seem to recall Hillfolk was completed remarkably quickly.

Hillfolk was Pelgrane, not Atlas. But Atlas is super-experienced, it's a solid crew, I'd expect this to go reasonably quickly given that the current state of the manuscript is still "play testing and tuning."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Atlas is good about releasing on time - Ars books get put out pretty much exactly when their publishing schedule says, every time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having a Sorcerer as a PC, albeit one forbidden to use Movement (He didn't want to take it anyway, as he didn't think it fit his concept) has shown me that while it costs a hell of a lot to pull it off, using Harvest Chi for an extra positive die at the cost of 1 Mag then spending Fortune gives him a hell of a punch at times. Dude blew up something like 14 mooks in one action during a shootout with Triads when he wanted to reveal his TRUE POWER YOU SIMPERING FOOLS.

I'm starting to really like Magic.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I'm going to be starting up a game of Feng Shui 2 soon, starting with kind of a pilot using the Kickstarter preview, and upgrading as the final game comes out. None of us have played any Feng Shui before, outside of a couple of sessions during the playtest, and I'm super excited.

I'm not really sure I'm confident making my own adventure yet, and I remember the adventure in the book not really being that great. Did they fix it? If not, are there any good adventures I can crib from the older books, because I've got a pretty decent collection of those from the Bundle of Holding they were in. Preferably something that works well as both an introduction and allows for the stranger archetypes, because none of my characters really know much about the setting, but they already want to be Cyborgs and Ghosts and things like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you have Marked for Death, the "Blood for the Master" scenario sets up a mini-setting of a few blocks that can be plunked down into whatever city you want.

I've found that the advantage of having things kick off in a restaurant is that a) they're fun places for fight scenes, and b) it gives everyone a good reason to be there regardless of when they're from: "You stumble out of the netherworld portal, and everything is strange. You also realize that running through the portal made you really hungry, and it smells like there's food in that building."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing I have consistently learned from looking up 'And what's happening in China right now if I want to make this time period a Juncture' is that there's always something interesting happening in China.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Is the draft in Update #9 of the Kickstarter a different draft than Update #2?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Loki_XLII posted:

Is the draft in Update #9 of the Kickstarter a different draft than Update #2?

No.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

One thing I have consistently learned from looking up 'And what's happening in China right now if I want to make this time period a Juncture' is that there's always something interesting happening in China.

Oh yes. China has four thousand years of history and all of it is interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The more I run Feng Shui the more I notice the core problem of the system is that fighting is actually kind of boring.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The more I run Feng Shui the more I notice the core problem of the system is that fighting is actually kind of boring.

Pretty much. There are basically two parts to Feng Shui combat: basic resource management and interesting descriptions. Resource management is not that interesting (especially as there are no real risk/reward choices other than spending Fortune) - and the interesting descriptions would be more frequent if you were instead running Wushu Open and sticking the Feng Shui (or better yet the FS2) setting on the top.

And these days Atlas have Cam Banks, whose ability (especially at teambuilding) is the reason for just about everything positive MWP did in the past five years.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other problem is the base dice are at once too deterministic and too swingy. It's really unlikely to hit someone 3 AV above you, for instance, and no real way to trick past that AV or force them onto the back foot for one desperate action, etc. Similarly, there's no mechanic for losing a fight without dying; you never really seem to get the scene where the hero takes on the main villain for the first time, puts up a fight, but gets his rear end kicked and is captured. There's just no momentum to fights and as a player, I've been in more than a few where after missing with a couple stunts in a row I just start to run out of scenery and steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
PCs can cheese it at any time. It's not perfect, but it works to simulate running away. Also, if you just go down, you can survive relatively easily and get captured rather than die. I agree that it should probably be better explained and have a bit more flex room to say "I go down, plz don't kill my character", but it's still a possibility with the system as written. I believe a few of these problems will be fixed in the final version with help from formatting and better organization.

The dice mechanics are pretty swingy, but the game tries to describe it as not every shot hitting a la Hong Kong Action Movie. It's also the realm of spending fortune, which should help make that a little less of an issue. Something as simple as adding something like 13th Age's escalation die to make the miss streaks less terrible for the players could also help lessen the missing problem while still keeping the general action movie beat idea of missing happening somewhat frequently in big gunfights.

It's sad that the game is currently as GM-dependent as it is right now in terms of fun, but there's a lot of core fun stuff in there as it is. Just needs some work around the edge, along with maybe some more talk about what sort of characters are good at what, how to use stunts to your advantage, etc. It's definitely a game that can accidentally fall into "I attack!" each round really quickly, though.

• Locked thread