Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oracle posted:

I think someone mentioned it previously, but it really seems like the Arrow folks are totally glossing over Sarah's whole six year history as an assassin that's done horrible things. I mean, season 1 Ollie would've been the one putting three arrows in her gut for christ's sake, what are they going to do if whoever murdered her is a family member of one of her former victims back for revenge? It'd be interesting if the show went there but I'm sure it'll just be the whole 'R'as did it cuz monomaniacal evil guy.'

That'd be cool, but they've already established the meta of "dealing with my own mortality" thanks to Sara's death and Oliver's meek, "I don't want to die down here, John." I think having Sara's killer be one of her former victims would have needed its own arc, and someone else would have had to die for the Mortality Crisis that we're seeing now. Having the reveal be that the person who killed her is [Season 1 Oliver] would dilute the message.

At least, assuming they don't wrap up the whole fear of dying thing in the next two episodes. This being Arrow and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Warmachine posted:

At least, assuming they don't wrap up the whole fear of dying thing in the next two episodes. This being Arrow and all.

He isn't really afraid to die but afraid to die alone in a cave full of anger and regret.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Oracle posted:

I think someone mentioned it previously, but it really seems like the Arrow folks are totally glossing over Sarah's whole six year history as an assassin that's done horrible things. I mean, season 1 Ollie would've been the one putting three arrows in her gut for christ's sake, what are they going to do if whoever murdered her is a family member of one of her former victims back for revenge?

Shoot them anyway.

Ollie isn't above being a hypocrite in this show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Sara's killer should be an assassin hired by the surviving children of a happily married couple that was killed because they were involved in the filing of some paperwork that would have allowed a company to purchase land that the League wanted for their own reasons.

Random Team Arrow person: "Oh, I guess that is what the "assassin" part meant of the League of Assassins."

:v:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A Thea themed trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWfje3XkNlM

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if Sara was in Starling city looking for Merlyn and he killed her before she could complete her job.

My reasoning is: We already know the league is pretty mad at Merlyn for dipping out to do his own thing, and they almost certainly have assassins hunting him. The only reason Sara would have been in the city is for League business. Searching for her killer would be a good way to have the team discover Merlyn is still alive. Sara was shot with black arrows and the only reason the team didn't suspect Merlyn (who killed people with black arrows as his trademark)is because they think he is dead.

Also, the scene he is in takes place a few days after her death, and he had plenty of time to fly back to Corto Maltese (which is another great DC universe reference btw).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kadath posted:

Also, the scene he is in takes place a few days after her death, and he had plenty of time to fly back to Corto Maltese (which is another great DC universe reference btw).

Oh god just put a Vicki Vale cameo in that country for like 4 seconds, I don't even care that would be great.

PLANT THE SEEDS, ARROW.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Kadath posted:

That last part is true of Thea as well, and she would be greeted more similarly as to how the killer was greeted.

Yes I am still stubbornly holding on to this theory.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senerio posted:

That last part is true of Thea as well, and she would be greeted more similarly as to how the killer was greeted.

Yes I am still stubbornly holding on to this theory.

yeah, five months and Thea's going to kill a person. :jerkbag:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kadath posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sara was in Starling city looking for Merlyn and he killed her before she could complete her job.

The big hole in this logic is that if Merlyn was trying to not get caught/found by Sara, then simply hiding in Corto Maltese would have been way safer and easier. Coming all the way out just to kill her before flying back simply raises a bunch of red flags back at the league and makes him even more of a target. Seems much more likely that it was either Ra's or someone acting on his behalf for ~reasons~ that we'll find out eventually.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Scapegoat posted:

I'm going to be very interested when they do arrow vs flash. Flash should mop the floor with him so hopefully the levelling out makes sense.

There's a scene in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure where Jotaro is fighting a guy who can speed up and slow down time, and he figures out that the guy, from his own perspective, is moving at ten kilometers an hour, but from the perspective of Jotaro and his friends, he's moving at three hundred kilometers an hour. One of Jotaro's companions says "That's as fast as a bullet train!" and Jotaro says "Perfect. You can see a bullet train coming."

I'm hoping for basically that line.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it was kind of smart to have Ollie out right state that, also I'll point out that Ollie has actually started to reach out to other people. If you look at how his character arc has moved he's becoming more and more heroic not because of his actions but just because he's surrounded by people he cares about.

I just thought that was really on point him saying " I don't want to die down here" and the other Ollie five years earlier saying " He doesn't care go ahead and shoot him".

It's so far away from this ,also him calling it a Crusade is rather interesting because what's his crusade against?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
You guys are glossing over the fact that the first time Sara showed up a League guy came and said "Ra's has requested your return" and she killed him.

Ra's was probably a little miffed about that and if she left this time without his permission he probably just had her put down. She definitely didn't react to the killer like it was Merlyn and I don't think Thea flew there, killed her, and then flew back.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Holy crap, that's actually happening next episode? I was thinking that it'd be put off until at least midseason or something! Jeeze.

I love how Arrow's writers know how to pace the show to keep it consistently engaging each week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So hype to see Oliver turn the tables on Merlyn and catch HIS arrow for a change.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Gaz-L posted:

So hype to see Oliver turn the tables on Merlyn and catch HIS arrow for a change.
Yeah right. He'll get beat up and sulk for 3-4 episodes before believing in himself.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Here's some info about Ray Palmer's part in all of this

Possible Flash/Atom crossover? Maybe he becomes Oliver's gadget provider?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Here's some info about Ray Palmer's part in all of this

Possible Flash/Atom crossover? Maybe he becomes Oliver's gadget provider?

A lot of blogs/articles are in agreement saying that the writers of Arrow do not want to have The Atom shrinking which is disappointing if true. It seems that if he does use his powers it will almost certainly be on Flash but having him be a part of Team Arrow would be nice.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BouncingBuckyBalls posted:

A lot of blogs/articles are in agreement saying that the writers of Arrow do not want to have The Atom shrinking which is disappointing if true. It seems that if he does use his powers it will almost certainly be on Flash but having him be a part of Team Arrow would be nice.

The only thing shrinking for Ray is his net worth :v:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Drifter posted:

yeah, five months and Thea's going to kill a person. :jerkbag:

Five months to go from someone willing to shoot a mass murderer they vaguely know to someone willing to shoot a serial killer/contract assassin they vaguely know? Also, doesn't the military turn people into trained killers in something like 4 months?

For the record, I don't think it was Thea, though that would be cool. But dismissing it because you don't think she is capable of killing is kind of a stretch given what the writers have shown us so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's unlikely because getting her back to the place where she's willing to even kill Malcolm seems to be a turning point in the next episode, going by the preview. Unless there's a poo poo-ton of Thea flashback in the episode.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

nutranurse posted:

Holy crap, that's actually happening next episode? I was thinking that it'd be put off until at least midseason or something! Jeeze.

I love how Arrow's writers know how to pace the show to keep it consistently engaging each week.

Can't wait for more people posting this reaction. It's my favourite thing about people new to the show (which you may not be).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Stayne Falls posted:

Can't wait for more people posting this reaction. It's my favourite thing about people new to the show (which you may not be).

Nah, I'm a long time watcher, but I'm still constantly floored by how a-typical the plot pacing can be. My mum (who I turned onto the show) now just calls Wednesday 'Arrow Day' because she's pumped to see what happens each week.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Given that Thea's problem was that in her life, everybody lies, that Corto Maltese scene would have been much better if instead of working out with kendo sticks she had just been sitting there with Hugh Laurie.

"Vigilantes are boring."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

evenworse username posted:

Given that Thea's problem was that in her life, everybody lies, that Corto Maltese scene would have been much better if instead of working out with kendo sticks she had just been sitting there with Hugh Laurie.

"Vigilantes are boring."

It would be even better if Stephen Fry was also there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Episode 3 seems to be focused on Thea over the past five months. It could totally end on her shooting Sara with three arrows.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Talia, jealous that Sara chose Nyssa over her, killed her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Damien Wayne is the killer.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Eddain posted:

Talia, jealous that Sara chose Nyssa over her, killed her.

It's as plausible as any other theory posted here.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Senerio posted:

It's as plausible as any other theory posted here.

Appealing to the Arrow thread for authority isn't going to win you this argument. Sorry, bud. :v:

hcreight fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 18, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll go ahead and call not more than 4 more episodes until we know exactly who killed Sara and Laurel starts to become a vigilante. The Arrow show moves at a breakneck speed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The show moves so fast the reveal will be it was actually the vigilante Laurel who killed Sara.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Aphrodite posted:

The show moves so fast the reveal will be it was actually the vigilante Laurel who killed Sara.

What, is Barry going to run so fast that time reverses?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rocksicles posted:

Damon Wayans is the killer.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It was Sara's evil duplicate from the Mirror Universe.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Totally didn't realise this was a thing from the comics a la Nanda Parbat. It had been bugging me this whole time!

The show apparently referenced it once before saying that Deadshot had done some work there. Continuity! :allears:

4 The Cause
Aug 10, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 661 days!
Thea is so beautiful and broken. I wish they would pair her with a real man, and than we could see some real passion.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

4 The Cause posted:

Thea is so beautiful and broken. I wish they would pair her with a real man, and than we could see some real passion.

Wait....what?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, how far apart are the Flash/Arrow cities? I'm just wondering how the metas are going to be addressed in arrow.

I assume that The Flash's city is so far away that the meta creating explosion didn't reach to Arrow's city, but like, what's to stop someone like the weather wizard or multiplex from jumping on a plane/bus?

I think Arrow is going to need to ramp itself much further into Batman territory and have Ollie develop counters for everything, even crazy meta poo poo. So it would be good if Palmer joined the team and fulfilled that role. Otherwise, Arrow's overarching drama's are going to start paling in comparison to Flash's.

Like Ollie might be catching up with Barry and bemoaning the whole "oh there's some bow and arrow assassin guy out there shooting people that i'm trying to catch", then Barry tells him about some dude he caught who literally just turned half of his city to ice with Ollie going :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

4 The Cause posted:

Hmm. Yeah, same.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread