Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Also, i can't be the only one that noticed that Blake seems to become increasingly adept at spending time in and influencing the real world. Even as his personal power does not seem to be increasing in proportion. Even more telling might be that he doesn't seem to even notice, much like his irrational devotion to the Thorburns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The less human Blake becomes the stronger he gets. This isn't very surprising.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Pact: the origin story of Groot

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hollylolly posted:

Duress 12.2 The witch hunters were the least of our problems, with the Thorburns gathered in the diabolist library, and monsters at the gates.

:ohdear:

I can't think of any aces they might have up their sleeves - a lot of wildcards though with the Thorburns. Barboretum doesn't work as an ace if no one can control him.

I suspect that anybody can make a deal with Barbatorem on their own initiative (if they can work out a communication protocol / Rose's works for other people), they just don't necessarily have the benefit of non-Seal preexisting conditions.

Which, you know, could be important.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect that anybody can make a deal with Barbatorem on their own initiative (if they can work out a communication protocol / Rose's works for other people), they just don't necessarily have the benefit of non-Seal preexisting conditions.

Which, you know, could be important.

Blake dealing with Barbatorem seems like the only sensible Wildbow thing to do - a solution to a problem that quickly becomes a worse problem.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

This crazy loving bastard is going to burn the drat house down.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

NecroMonster posted:

This crazy loving bastard is going to burn the drat house down.

I would say this isn't the worst idea except the Barber's binding is on the wood floor so it probably is.

Also RIP Callan.

Edit: Also why does Blake keep saying he thinks he can't lie? He's not bound by the seal, and doesn't count as a practitioner anymore.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 14, 2014

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I really want this arc-long action sequence to loving be over already, so we can see the aftermath.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pavlov posted:

Edit: Also why does Blake keep saying he thinks he can't lie? He's not bound by the seal, and doesn't count as a practitioner anymore.

Doesn't he? We don't really know what Blake is yet, there's still bits of the picture missing.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Remora posted:

I really want this arc-long action sequence to loving be over already, so we can see the aftermath.

You and me both. I feel like Wildbow is in love with nonstop action and tension, but the story badly needs downtime and character building. Especially when we have a huge new cast of characters, including the various thorburns, the younger practitioners, and so on. The pace just seems implausibly forced to actively avoid time to talk or think by Blake.

I think he did the same thing in Worm, with the total time line from start to finish being like two months prior to the time skip.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Makes my decision to sit out this arc a good one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm quite enjoying it. :shobon: Makes the aftermath more satisfying too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Velius posted:

I feel like Wildbow is in love with nonstop action and tension, but the story badly needs downtime and character building.

I would normally agree, but this last chapter did have character building. All of the Thornburns had good development, it just happened to be weaved into the action. Truthfully, with the way the Thornburns have been portrayed so far, they kind of needed a lengthy life-or-death scramble to tear down their horrible caustic fronts long enough to show that they can still be OK people.

Fans posted:

Doesn't he? We don't really know what Blake is yet, there's still bits of the picture missing.

I thought he made it clear a while ago that he couldn't practice anymore. So either the universe doesn't consider him a practitioner, or it counts him as a forsworn one, which means lying wouldn't matter.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Wasn't his reasoning at that point that, even if he can lie, it's still negative karma that he may as well not keep accruing?

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I think it's because spirits don't like lying, and his body is held up by spirits at this point. If he started lying they might jet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The new chapter has all sorts of things just waiting to go horribly wrong!

I especially like Christoff perking up at the suggestion that practitioners can sort-of bring people back from the dead.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well holycrap that's an even worse plan than just burning the house down around themselves.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think somebody summed up the vicious cycle of Pact pretty well in the comments.

BLAKE: I have to do something.
*first opportunity to do something, anything presents itself*
BLAKE: I have to do this.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Evan remains the best and most awesome character as usual.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Calling it now: Alexis is Rose in disguise - the two switched places before Rose went off with the Thorburns.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tollymain posted:

I think somebody summed up the vicious cycle of Pact pretty well in the comments.

BLAKE: I have to do something.
*first opportunity to do something, anything presents itself*
BLAKE: I have to do this.

You kind of left out the context: Blake, as a rule, has at no point in this story been given the time/breathing room to wait for option number two.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Saros posted:

Evan remains the best and most awesome character as usual.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Please please please let them do what Evan wants.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
He better get set on fire by the time the story's over.

Edit: Man out of context that sounds completely different.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

pumpinglemma posted:

Calling it now: Alexis is Rose in disguise - the two switched places before Rose went off with the Thorburns.

:stare: That'd be pretty brilliant if true.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It would make perfect sense of the way Alexis reacted when Blake told her he'd inadvertently given himself an "in", and when he said he didn't think Rose would be able to back down. Since "Rose" left, has "Alexis" ever claimed to have done something that Alexis had done, but Rose hadn't?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh drat, I think you might be right! I thought she was acting weird because she was beaten up + possessed by Blake-birds, but she has been acting like Rose hasn't she? It did seem kind of weird that Rose would just give herself up like that too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Oh drat, I think you might be right! I thought she was acting weird because she was beaten up + possessed by Blake-birds, but she has been acting like Rose hasn't she? It did seem kind of weird that Rose would just give herself up like that too.

Unless Alexis and Blake are related (or Wildbow made several mistakes) this theory doesn't hold water. During the scene with the entire Thorburn family Rose made many references to it being her family.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Unless Alexis and Blake are related (or Wildbow made several mistakes) this theory doesn't hold water. During the scene with the entire Thorburn family Rose made many references to it being her family.

Could Rose not have adopted Alexis into the family?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Grundulum posted:

I agree that was probably Rose, but couldn't they have switched at some point after that? It wouldn't take too long; All they'd have to do is glamor up using the faerie hair.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/category/story/arc-11-malfeasance/11-06/

I've re-read that section, and I didn't see a time when any shenanigans could have been pulled.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

After Rose deals with the family, she leaves the room. We don't see exactly when she leaves to the psych ward. During that time we get this:

Pact posted:

“Then we’ll postpone sweeping up,” Alexis said. “I’ll handle it in a minute.”

Alexis disappeared.

[people talking]

Slowly, people sorted themselves out, the youngest kids moving to the living room with Kathryn. I heard the television come on. I couldn’t wrap my head around just sitting around while cold wind blew in through the shattered window, but… that was them.

Alexis held her phone to one ear, roaming the house. Evan was perched on her shoulder.

Its a bit of a stretch, but it could have happened then.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Could Rose not have adopted Alexis into the family?

Hahahaha you guys.

Corvidae can swap and switch peoples connections basically to his hearts content.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Switching that fundamental a set of connections around and then sending Corvidae out to be at risk strikes me as a worse idea than half of what Blake devises, and that's impressive. Edit: oh, I see. That could work and "whoops, Corvidae can't reverse it" is less of a risk if it's just stapling in a new family member.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well an accidental extra family member is something the family has already experienced one way or another, but I'd hazard a guess that basically any tinkering with connections, especially if ol' Corv is doing it isn't risk free no matter how seemingly innocuous.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

what in the gently caress

holy exposition

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Goddamn this chapter.

So, if I'm reading things correctly, Blake was real the whole time, just carved into two pieces by a failsafe set up with the Barber before Rose Sr.'s death. This is the major working alluded to in the first chapter by the various observers. So, Blake has been completely screwed over by things outside of his control, to the point where his humanity is slipping away, all because of Rose's desire to not be reduced back to the vestige and because of the humanity residing in the female - which, if it weren't for the "Practitioners can't lie" bit, I'd think of as someone desperately trying to justify keeping their existence. This whole situations is crazy, and completely awesome to read. It's really nice seeing how all the pieces line up, as well as if the Drains managed to change or alter that vision to make things seem even more horrible for Blake.

I've been loving the story so far, and this bit cemented things for me. Awesome stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Grandma Rose is the most gigantic of assholes.

Rose/Corvidae 2016: why vote for the lesser evil.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hedningen posted:

Goddamn this chapter.

So, if I'm reading things correctly, Blake was real the whole time, just carved into two pieces by a failsafe set up with the Barber before Rose Sr.'s death. This is the major working alluded to in the first chapter by the various observers. So, Blake has been completely screwed over by things outside of his control, to the point where his humanity is slipping away, all because of Rose's desire to not be reduced back to the vestige and because of the humanity residing in the female - which, if it weren't for the "Practitioners can't lie" bit, I'd think of as someone desperately trying to justify keeping their existence. This whole situations is crazy, and completely awesome to read. It's really nice seeing how all the pieces line up, as well as if the Drains managed to change or alter that vision to make things seem even more horrible for Blake.

I've been loving the story so far, and this bit cemented things for me. Awesome stuff.

Rose isn't a practitioner, she's just been lying her rear end off the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Hahahahaha holy god damned hell.

• Locked thread