Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hmmm, I'll be honest, I'm a little underwhelmed. I knew the truth would make Blake want to turn on Rose, but I thought it was going to be something more in depth than that. It had already been mentioned earlier that normal vestiges sometimes try to kill their other half to take over their lives. Back when we only thought Rose was a visage, we knew she could get out of the mirror if Blake died; I thought it was just given that Blake could do the same.

I've got the feeling, and I hope I'm not wrong, that rose isn't giving out the whole picture here. We know she's been deceptive in the past, so I wouldn't put it past her to pull something in that flashback. Things of note:

1. She says that if a male is split, the female gets the soul. She does not say that their precursor was male.

2. She says Grandma Rose wanted a custom made heir, she doesn't say that she, Rose Jr, is that heir. It honestly looks like Blake got all the good parts, which makes me think that he's the one Rose Sr. wanted, whether as an heir or not. As I've said before, Rose Sr. seemed to want to enact change, and the only bit of her legacy that seems to be doing that is Blake.

3. Rose mentions that she's reading into what's left out of the diaries. This probably means that the parts dealing with Blake's creation were wiped out by Ur. We don't get to see what's written there, and it looks like Rose it making quite a few assumptions. Its possible that even the things she says outright could be false; it's not lying if you believe it yourself.

4. The Abyss is an rear end in a top hat. I don't trust it.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Rose isn't a practitioner, she's just been lying her rear end off the entire time.

I'm pretty sure the first set of Abyss flashbacks implied Rose redid the Awakening ceremony but right that time. Unless the Abyss is being a double rear end in a top hat and only showed just enough to imply that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

All of Blake's focus has been on helping and saving others and improving the world when he isn't simply fighting for his own survival and Rose does basically nothing but focus on Rose.

I'm wondering if Rose gets that she's actually the destructive half of the pair or if she's just totally blind to the fact.

Hahaha did Granny dr jeckyll/mr hyde Blake by cutting out all of his bad parts with the barber in an attempt to make the perfect heir?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NecroMonster posted:

All of Blake's focus has been on helping and saving others and improving the world when he isn't simply fighting for his own survival and Rose does basically nothing but focus on Rose.

I'm wondering if Rose gets that she's actually the destructive half of the pair or if she's just totally blind to the fact.

Hahaha did Granny dr jeckyll/mr hyde Blake by cutting out all of his bad parts with the barber in an attempt to make the perfect heir?

An interesting possibility is that she meant the Dr Jekyll component to be the female one, but she made the Usual Diabolist Mistake and overlooked a loophole.

I mean, you'd think she'd have the experience not to, but it's a pretty clear opportunity in hindsight for the Barber to give the Bad Half the Thorburn Voice and therefore ready access to, you know, all the demons.

(Alternatively, the Thorburn Voice is not, in fact, a thing, and Barbatorem generously provided one of the halves a bonus superpower. Because he's a nice entity like that.)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Or she managed to give Rose most of or even all of the karma and all of the pluses (spirits listen to you) and minuses (goddamn lots) that comes with it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Wait, Rose mentions that they need to lie at some point. What was the lie they told? I thought they just refused to tell Blake anything.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Hahahahaha holy god damned hell.

This. Just this. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. I think we can assume that the Abyss is showing him the truth, since it apparently never lied during the Drains segment.

Bonus speculation: Blake was the original, and the events of chapter 1 were real and not implanted memories. He was cut in two by the Barber, and Rose did get the soul and voice.

Edit: poo poo. As was pointed out in the comments, Carl makes a lot more sense as male-on-female rape than it does as male-on-male. Also, Tiff-Alexis-Rose and Molly-Paige-Rose make more sense as triplets of women who are close rather than Blake being the odd male in the trio. I want to believe, though. 'Cause Rose sure did get the sociopathic rear end in a top hat part of Granny Thorburn.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 18, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I just want Blake and Rose to be buddies. Don't hate. Thorburns united against the world!

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Grundulum posted:

This. Just this. Jesus Tapdancing Christ. I think we can assume that the Abyss is showing him the truth, since it apparently never lied during the Drains segment.

Bonus speculation: Blake was the original, and the events of chapter 1 were real and not implanted memories. He was cut in two by the Barber, and Rose did get the soul and voice.

Edit: poo poo. As was pointed out in the comments, Carl makes a lot more sense as male-on-female rape than it does as male-on-male. Also, Tiff-Alexis-Rose and Molly-Paige-Rose make more sense as triplets of women who are close rather than Blake being the odd male in the trio. I want to believe, though. 'Cause Rose sure did get the sociopathic rear end in a top hat part of Granny Thorburn.
If the original was a girl named Rose, then she wasn't the current Rose though. The original was both, Blake's positive traits balancing current Rose's assholeness.
My take is that there was a girl called Rose Thorburn who was friends with her cousins Paige and Molly and couldn't take her family's bullshit anymore, and ran away to Toronto. There she lived on the street, almost found herself in a cult, was assaulted by the cult leader and saved by Alexis. Alexis helped her rebuild a life and introduced her to her artist friends. When Rose gets called back for her Grandma's inheritance spectacle a demon cuts her Self into pieces. The "heart and soul" part becomes Blake and is nice but impulsive; he gets the part of the original that is able to make friends with people and the connections to those friends. The rest of the original becomes the current Rose and has the traits Grandma Rose thought were important for an heir. The current Rose looks like the original, but is very different personality-wise, just as Blake is.
Personally, I agree with the people speculating that Blake isn't just the parts Grandma didn't want for her heir, or did want for a protector. His purpose may be to actually change the status quo instead of playing along like (current) Rose.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So much for Johannes' and Faysal's "generous" offer to help Blake get back into a body, if only he swears to ally with them.

I'm guessing the Abyss left out what happened after that point, because his friends have clearly grown pretty conflicted about the whole thing. See Alexis flinching when Blake mentioned that Rose is probably incapable of backing down from anything right now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Blake can be a girls name.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Blake also bedded a bunch of girls and built chicken coops, built displays and frames and such for art pieces, and worked manual labor on a farm. I'm not saying a girl can't do those things but for me it throws the idea that Rose is the real one and Blake was cut out from her into doubt. I'm in the Blake is the original camp for now.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
At this point, we don't know for sure, so I'm sticking to the Original-Rose option for now.

As for the current situation: of all the terrible ideas Blake has come up with that barely work out and mostly make everything worse, this one has to be absolute worst. Everyone's going to come out of this either horribly tainted by the Abyss or outright dead.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Ty already has the gateway open to the other side though. We'll see. It always gets worse. ;)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I'm now really curious about what the Thorburn family will say to their remaining members -- and vice versa -- when they show up in the morning.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, it was bad for Blake, but as far as getting everyone an out of harms way it seems like a winner. I mean back in the house they were all about to get bum rushed, and one of them already died from that. They look about in the clear and the humans only got a dislocated shoulder and... ok Roxanne'll probably need therapy but she's not dead.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Roxanne is totally going to be changed and get earwig super powers. It would be very un-wildbow to not have some kind of cost for going through the Drains. Every earwig that got in her is probably its own little drain spirit.

Grundulum posted:

I'm now really curious about what the Thorburn family will say to their remaining members -- and vice versa -- when they show up in the morning.

I'm way looking forward to this. I can see an epic freak out by the younger Thorburn generation on their older relatives.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

packsmack posted:

Roxanne is totally going to be changed and get earwig super powers. It would be very un-wildbow to not have some kind of cost for going through the Drains. Every earwig that got in her is probably its own little drain spirit.

Don't be silly, no one's going to read a Web-Serial about a Girl with Bug Powers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Green Eyes is a really good buddy despite being a cannibal mermaid.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Polite, too!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well that was interesting. Not sure if it was smart necessarily or not though, definitely some pros and cons about this new form.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Well that's one way to end the battle over your humanity/reality that Rose is scared of. Just give the gently caress up on it and go a different path.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

And for all the time Rose spent moaning about being in a mirror, she never even considered ripping out her still beating heart and thrusting it into a human effigy. Come on Rose get your poo poo together.

Also notice: Blake has a heart. Which implies he has the soul too.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Someone in the comments just pointed out something that seems pretty likely - that all the lights going out at once, and the great horrible thing they saw walk by was Ornias, especially with all the lightbulbs being a little bit dimmer and more unreliable after his passing, and all the references to "a starless night" "an empty void".

Man, Wildbow does awesomely chilling demons.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 21, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

He left the humans behind. Very meaningful word choice there.

:ohdear:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Rose is clearly the Heir Grandma wanted I mean why else would Blake get ALL of the natural talent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Someone in the comments just pointed out something that seems pretty likely - that all the lights going out at once, and the great horrible thing they saw walk by was Ornias, especially with all the lightbulbs being a little bit dimmer and more unreliable after his passing, and all the references to "a starless night" "an empty void".

I am somewhat dubious if not for the fact that we saw Ur there earlier.

Maybe there is more of a connection between demons and the Abyss than we and Blake know so far.

Also, if correct maybe Blake wants to avoid diabolism in the future, if he keeps picking up hitchhikers from drawing their attention. I don't think that is likely a standard feature, when they are supposed to be "banished or bound" for the most part.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as unfair as the world of pact is, at least it has a very healthy respect for style points

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Green Eyes is a really good buddy despite being a cannibal mermaid.

Despite? In Blake's situation that's one of her best features.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I am Groot :downs:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

This is gettin good.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I'm dreading the next time he goes in the drains/abyss/tenements because of the rule of three. Will probably go insanely worse than normal.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Xemloth posted:

I'm dreading the next time he goes in the drains/abyss/tenements because of the rule of three. Will probably go insanely worse than normal.

It will probably be right after he accepts that he's a monster, and the Abyss shows him that he was the one with the Heart/Soul.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How does drawing on Conquest's power work, exactly? Rose was drawing on the power when she left for the police station, but since Corvidae took the item that contained him/it, she no longer has access. Does this mean she must continually draw on Conquest? What are the side effects of this? What will the other humans think when Rose comes back in superbitch mode?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Grundulum posted:

How does drawing on Conquest's power work, exactly? Rose was drawing on the power when she left for the police station, but since Corvidae took the item that contained him/it, she no longer has access. Does this mean she must continually draw on Conquest? What are the side effects of this? What will the other humans think when Rose comes back in superbitch mode?

She's linked to Conquest via the binding, her hair was used in the triple circle or whatever. I think that's how she draws the power not necessarily by having possession of the mirror. The mirror is how you could theoretically free Conquest I think but has nothing to do with Rose's connection to him. Really it is just a hanging Chekhov's Gun now where he will escape at a terrible time and come after Rose/Blake with a vengeance.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

PS: Corvidae is now wearing Rose's hair, likely that used for the binding of conquest, around his own finger.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Wolpertinger posted:

I interpreted it as the giant massive creature Blake saw when he was relatively new to the Abyss.

e. That said, I kind of agree with their analysis that Ornias is pretty likely. Alternatively they could be the same.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 22, 2014

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I read that as Ornias. Out of interest, http://demonology.enacademic.com/425/Ornias.

quote:

Solomon binds the demon with his ring and sets him to work cutting stone from the quarry. Terrified by IRON, the demon begs for a measure of freedom, promising to call up other demons. Solomon summons Uriel, who forces Ornias to cut stones by terrorizing him. Uriel calls up sea monsters and withers them, casting them to the ground. When that work is done, Solomon orders Ornias to fetch the Prince of Demons. He gives Ornias the magical ring, and the demon goes to BEELZEBUB. The Prince of Demons is unimpressed by the name of Solomon, so Ornias throws the ring at his chest and commands him to go to the king. Beelzebub cries out like one burned by fire and does as commanded.

Seems like summoning (binding?) the Prince of Demons would tie back nicely to the whole Seal of Solomon thing Others are bound by these days.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Update was very good, next few chapters should be very interesting.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
That goddamn lunatic is going to murder them all isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Why shouldn't he? The fuckers set things up so a house full of innocents would be attacked by a horde of others competing to kill them in the most horrific ways imaginable. In my opinion it would be just for him to slaughter every adult practitioner in the whole drat town.

• Locked thread