Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I almost got totally wrecked by a Crusade when I was busy trying to deal with the Ilkhanate, and the lesson learned was "either fight the nearby Catholic empires or get ready to fight the Catholics, because God apparently informed the Pope that this is very personal."
Can you plot-stab the pope? Maybe a less pious or content pope would be less annoying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there something up with levy calculations for tribes? I'm at full tribal organization so they're providing me levies instead of independent allies, and I'm at normal feudal levy law. The Chief of Novgorod-Seversky's personal levy is 493 troops. The military screen says he can provide me with at most 92 troops, of which he's willing to provide 14 due to opinion (+25%) and laws (-40%). Combined, my vassals will give me 79 troops while my personal levy maxes out at 4616 (since my ruler has 20 martial and I'm holding 7 county titles). :confused:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 18, 2014

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
I ursurped the kingdom of England...but the succession law is still Gavelkind. The kingdom's only at low crown authority so changing it to Primo is out. Since I've formed Britannia that means I can just hand out the title to somebody and they'll still be my vassal, and the succession law won't apply to me, right?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

DiseasedTempest posted:

I ursurped the kingdom of England...but the succession law is still Gavelkind. The kingdom's only at low crown authority so changing it to Primo is out. Since I've formed Britannia that means I can just hand out the title to somebody and they'll still be my vassal, and the succession law won't apply to me, right?

yes

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DiseasedTempest posted:

You should give it to someone in your dynasty (maybe a son/nephew?) so that you can get it back at some point. England is the strongest Kingdom in Britannia, and you really want those dukes reporting directly to you instead of to a very powerful vassal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:sigh: I wish Paradox would fix it so your character had more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning a tournament.

I just want to feel like a badass one time... :qq:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

McGavin posted:

:sigh: I wish Paradox would fix it so your character had more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning a tournament.

I just want to feel like a badass one time... :qq:

Every point of martial between 11 and 20 makes it more likely, every point from 0-9 makes it less likely. That's all you can do to influence it, so just make sure you have good (15+) martial, and you'll win all the time.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not that worried about making an uber-vassal; most of the de jure duchies are under my direct vassalage and since he's content I can just bribe him every now and then to keep him from getting too upset.

New question: Does marrying some dude with a claim on whatever to a landed vassal in my realm mean that if I press his claim he'll still be my vassal when we win?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Minenfeld! posted:

That's part of the problem, though. The Paradox forum is a place filled with history buffs. History buffs are the worst kind of grognard; they're knowledgeable about history without understanding the underlying concepts of historiography and historical determinism. So, we end up with a lot of threads about how this one province should be this culture or how this duchy could never have formed without realizing that historical outcomes only seem predetermined in hindsight. A game like CKII or EUIV should be plausible, but allow the player to completely wreck history as we know it. As soon as you unpause the game at the start, history as we know it goes out the window. I'm sick of the historical railroading that Paradox has increasingly shoved into EUIV. CK2 seems to be doing this less, but it's still creeping in there as well. The game should be based around plausible mechanics that work on a macro scale and not working off triggered events. EUIV has been completely wrecked by this kind of poo poo. The new expansion with the specific Thirty Years War mechanics are a prime example.

:goonsay:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SeaTard posted:

Every point of martial between 11 and 20 makes it more likely, every point from 0-9 makes it less likely. That's all you can do to influence it, so just make sure you have good (15+) martial, and you'll win all the time.

Unless they finally fixed it, the MTTH for you to win is longer than the actual tournament.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Minenfeld! posted:

That's part of the problem, though. The Paradox forum is a place filled with history buffs. History buffs are the worst kind of grognard; they're knowledgeable about history without understanding the underlying concepts of historiography and historical determinism. So, we end up with a lot of threads about how this one province should be this culture or how this duchy could never have formed without realizing that historical outcomes only seem predetermined in hindsight. A game like CKII or EUIV should be plausible, but allow the player to completely wreck history as we know it. As soon as you unpause the game at the start, history as we know it goes out the window. I'm sick of the historical railroading that Paradox has increasingly shoved into EUIV. CK2 seems to be doing this less, but it's still creeping in there as well. The game should be based around plausible mechanics that work on a macro scale and not working off triggered events. EUIV has been completely wrecked by this kind of poo poo. The new expansion with the specific Thirty Years War mechanics are a prime example.

Well that's just like... your opinion maaaaaan.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Unless they finally fixed it, the MTTH for you to win is longer than the actual tournament.

It's more like everyone else has a MTTH to win while you have a fixed date when you need to pass a martial skill check to win. The MTTH for everyone else to win almost always happens well before the date you can win.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I..always assumed that you needed at least 2 people and 100% plot power for plots to actually work. Well poo poo, that changes my game dramatically.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
help

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Hey Shadeoses et al, is there a particular website you've found useful for getting started with CK2 modding?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's the CK2 Wiki, the modding forums in general, and a bunch of self-teaching.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Yeah, I'm assuming a lot of it picking through existing stuff and finding how it breaks. Thanks!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What are you trying to break?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Any tips for a good Duke or Count start that isn't too hard and where you have room for expansion? I'm trying to get back into CKII and finished a successful Ireland game about a week ago. After that, I attemped to play as the Duke (sic) of Flanders and the Duke of Barcelona since they start out with great counties, but I quickly got wrecked each time.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Larry Parrish posted:

My favorite Charlemange bug so far is how if you convert to a merchant republic from a tribal government, you automatically get Seniority election. However, the Designated Heir title still works and overrides Seniority. It's pretty sweet. I just wish being a Cathar let you select female heirs :smith:

I really wish you could set Papal Investiture even though you are a Republic. It's not a real Irish Republic unless it's full of die-hard Catholics.

Can't you though? I think the reason most republics don't get the tooltip for changing investiture laws is because investiture laws are realm laws, so you'd actually need to control the Kingdom in order to change those laws.

The solution, obviously, is to form your Irish republic, then incorporate the rest of Ireland into your republic so you can create a Kingdom level Republic.

e:

Ray and Shirley posted:

I almost always play the 1066 bookmarks. I enjoy it because of the bookmarks it's the one that results in the most historically plausible parallel situations on the map. With the latest update, however, there are a few problems I'm noticing that are making this bookmark far less balanced and fun to play.
  • Formable Kingdom of Aquitaine Ironically when compared to EUIV, France often comes off as rather weak in CK2, typically coming up short in conflicts with its big brother the HRE to the east. A big part of this problem is the Kingdom of Aquitaine. This title remaining formable often means a few things will occur, all of them resulting in a weaker France. The most common occurrence is the King of France, being incredibly weak at the 1066 start, will often fall prey to an elective inheritance plot. Often, the Aquitaine kingdom title has been created at this point, resulting in a two separate kingdoms upon inheritance - the elective France in the north and the primogeniture Aquitaine in the south. The end result in game terms is a permanently weakened France. Additionally, France often falls prey to "liberation" invasions for Aquitaine. As the first war declared in 1066 is the HRE vs. France over Brugge (a war which France most often loses) France usually has weakened levies by 1070, making it susceptible to plots or invasions. The consequence is, again, two a weak France in the north, a weak Aquitaine in the south, and nothing to hold back the HRE to its west. The end result of this situation in overall game terms is, again, an HRE with no westward competitors, and a eternally divided kingdom of France.
  • Formable Kingdoms of Germany and Italy within the HRE In my three most recently play-throughs the Holy Roman Emperor founded both the kingdoms of Germany and Italy. In two instances the Salian family lost the imperial title, but kept the kindgom titles. This resulted in the emperor having a very over-mighty vassal in the dual monarchy of Germany and Italy. This makes for a very lopsided and unfun experience from within the HRE. Until the Charlemagne patch the trend of the emperor shunning the creation of these titles remained firm. Now, however, the emperor rushes to create these titles, making for a poor gameplay experience.

Thoughts on these? Am I just being a grump?

I haven't got Charlemagne yet and haven't tried playing the 1066 bookmark with the latest patch, but in all of my 1066 games I've seen King Philip create the Kingdom of Aquitane, which then stays with the Capet dynasty, with the Kingdom of France usually going to William (after he fails his invasion of England). So now you've got the De Normandies in charge of France and the Capets ruling Aquitane, and occasionally the two dynasties will change places (with a Capet adventurer with a claim on France winning a claim war while the Aquitanian vassals press a De Normandie claim on Aquitane) so it turns into some weird Frankish tango.

The latter I've never seen though.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 18, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

What are you trying to break?

Nothing in particular, just wanting to toy round with some ideas. Had thoughts of a dark sun inspired mod where the top level nobles were near-immortal sorceror kings and you're scrapping around beneath them trying to replace them or just survive.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 18, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Phlegmish posted:

Any tips for a good Duke or Count start that isn't too hard and where you have room for expansion? I'm trying to get back into CKII and finished a successful Ireland game about a week ago. After that, I attemped to play as the Duke (sic) of Flanders and the Duke of Barcelona since they start out with great counties, but I quickly got wrecked each time.

Count of Transylvania 1066 start. It's how I learned the game and it's a ton of fun. Plus the guy historically became the king of Hungary and you can pretend you're a vampire :drac:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

MegaGatts posted:

Count of Transylvania 1066 start. It's how I learned the game and it's a ton of fun. Plus the guy historically became the king of Hungary and you can pretend you're a vampire :drac:

Um, I think you will find that Vlad Tepes, the historical person on whom Dracula was based on, was neither Hungarian nor the Duke of Transylvania, and furthermore

Speaking of, I actually wish there were more Vlach (Romanian) counts in this game so I could try to become Vlad Tepes way before he actually existed (through getting the Impaler trait). In the Old Gods start Wallachia and Moldau are part of Bulgaria and there's all but one Vlach count there, and because the game starts with the Magyar invasion there's a small chance that they'll take your highest level holding, resulting in game over when they inevitably win the invasion. In later bookmarks all the counties in Wallachia and Moldau have Vlach culture but they're ruled by the Pecheneg khanate and there's not a single Vlach count among them. Later on you actually have an independent Duchy of Wallachia, but you've got the Golden Horde and Rum right in your neighborhood. :(

Incidentally, those of you who have Charlemagne, are there any Vlach counts under the Avars or the Bulgarians in the Charlemagne bookmark?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The pechenegs basically ended up getting assimilated by the vlach so feel free to play them then just click "convert culture" because you're basically not even cheating.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've just seen an invasion of 25k troops take Barcelona off of West Francia. And a 15k adventurer stack popped up in my realms but I used the console to kill the leader because gently caress that, I'm Asturias and have about 4k troops in total.
So now the count of Barcelona is a Viking named Ale.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

The Grand Prince of Novgorod, 1066.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

The pechenegs basically ended up getting assimilated by the vlach so feel free to play them then just click "convert culture" because you're basically not even cheating.

Yeah, I was just reading about that. Interesting stuff. I could just fire up the game as the Pechenegs, convert to Vlach culture and change my dynasty name to Draculesti. I could even stick to the Tengri faith for a time, because apparently the Paleo-Balkan Dacians (who were eventually Romanized and are the predecessors of modern-day Romanians) had a cult dedicated to a horse-riding sky god. While this faith was probably completely unrelated to Tengriism I think the ideas and mechanics of the Tengri faith would do a good job of emulating a bunch of neo-Dacians who want to get back at the Bulgarians and Romans (Byzantines) who subjugated them at various times.

Oh, and also getting the Cruel and Impaler traits at some point so I have a chance of getting "Impaler" as a nickname.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Phlegmish posted:

I believe the Duke of Brandenburg in the 1066 start has some expansion options to the north in Mecklenburg/Pomerania (pagans), and I've had fun with that a few times. I also seemed to effortlessly get elected Emperor all those times too, so that might not be what you're looking for.

I've also had a decent amount of success as the Duke of Tuscany in the 867 start. Your goal should be to successfully get the Karling king to institute elective monarchy.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You can send your heirs to be educated by the Nestorian Patriarch in Antioch from places like Finland and Brittany. :getin:

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

So, I started a game as everyone's favourite Frank and Karl has an event to create the HRE, which however requires him to own the kingdom of Italy/Lombardia. How is one meant to claim this? Are you supposed to stay married to the Lombard princess? I think historically his divorcing of her set the stage for the war between Lombardia and the Frankish empire, are you meant to get an event and/or claim on the crown of Lombardia like you do for the crown of Asturias?

I've also not seen the event fire one way or the other for the Umayyad revolter. The starting event does happen, I choose to support him and kick rear end up and down the Iberian peninsula, I win the war, his puny holdings are freed, but I have yet to get the event that has him swear fealty to me (or tells me to gently caress off).
What gives?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hambilderberglar posted:

So, I started a game as everyone's favourite Frank and Karl has an event to create the HRE, which however requires him to own the kingdom of Italy/Lombardia. How is one meant to claim this? Are you supposed to stay married to the Lombard princess? I think historically his divorcing of her set the stage for the war between Lombardia and the Frankish empire, are you meant to get an event and/or claim on the crown of Lombardia like you do for the crown of Asturias?

Antipope -> Take Rome -> get Pope claims on Lombardy -> SUCCESS

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Antipope -> Take Rome -> get Pope claims on Lombardy -> SUCCESS
I've never played a Catholic game until today. How do I antipope? Pick a Bishop I like?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am starting to think there's some kind of hidden mechanic where if you name your kid James II or some poo poo after your ruler, he's gonna end up with horrible dogpiss stats.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Does this mean I need a third Kingdom to create the Empire of Italia? If so :mad:

Guess I need to finish stomping the Zirids in North Africa.

Also, this is what the map looks like right now, at 1243:

Lithuania is my cousin, the family won it in a crusade and I gave it the then-ruler's uncle because I was sick of dealing with a split realm and the pagan adventurers. I guess I should have kept it to get that Emperor rank. Note the Amrid Sultanate in Spain and Morocco. They're Berber Catholics. Is that normal?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Martello posted:

Does this mean I need a third Kingdom to create the Empire of Italia? If so :mad:

Yep. Easy pickings would be Tunisia for the King of Africa title, or in my Italia game, I went for Croatia.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What the hell is England doing? :psyduck:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Drone posted:

Yep. Easy pickings would be Tunisia for the King of Africa title, or in my Italia game, I went for Croatia.

Can you create the titular king level republic titles? I know they counted for the purposes of forming Italia in my republic game, but I can't remember if you can create them or not.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Can you create the titular king level republic titles? I know they counted for the purposes of forming Italia in my republic game, but I can't remember if you can create them or not.
Not as a non-republic as far as I remember. Unless they changed that. Kingdom of Venice/Genoa anyway.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is it possible to start as a normal feudal lord and convert your dynasty to a merchant republic in an ironman game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hambilderberglar posted:

I've never played a Catholic game until today. How do I antipope? Pick a Bishop I like?

Go to the religion tab, there'll be a list of your direct vassal bishops. If he likes you more than he likes the Pope, you can appoint him as Anitpope and use his claim on the Papacy to install him as your own vassal Pope.

• Locked thread