Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yo, al-azad thanks for the info for Orion Conspiracy. Got it in the mail today and got up it running on DOS Box fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

al-azad posted:

15. It Came from the Desert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

Out of all the games I'm playing this year, this one is hard to truly call horror but its aesthetic is thick in B movie monster flicks like Them! It Came is an expansion on Cinemaware's Defender of the Crown formula, you have to convince a small town of an impending attack by giant ants. It's a free form, non-linear game with a time limit and failure state that can put people off. But it's well scripted, sticks closely to its strong aesthetic, and is a blast to play once you understand all the subsystems and mini-games.

With King of Dragon Pass coming back in the public eye, I'd love to see a remake of this game. There's a lot of great ideas here and its setting practically stands unique out of all video games.

I read a very detailed LP of this long ago (can't find it anymore) that made it look like so much fun. If I recall correctly, it's pretty punishing until you get the hang of your capabilities and priorities, yes? Still, I'm right there with you hoping that it makes a comeback in some way, mainly because I wanna play it myself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Yo, al-azad thanks for the info for Orion Conspiracy. Got it in the mail today and got up it running on DOS Box fine.

Just don't be afraid to look at a FAQ. Like Alien, the beginning is a slow paced setup to the much more direct second half. Once you feel lost go grab a FAQ. It's how all old adventure games should be played.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I read a very detailed LP of this long ago (can't find it anymore) that made it look like so much fun. If I recall correctly, it's pretty punishing until you get the hang of your capabilities and priorities, yes? Still, I'm right there with you hoping that it makes a comeback in some way, mainly because I wanna play it myself.

Cinemaware still exists for some reason and last time I checked they have pre-orders open for the unreleased Genesis version (you can find the ROM but don't play this).

And yeah, it's one of those games that's utterly baffling until you figure out what the game wants you to do. You're expected to die a few times but it's about an hour long and you'll probably lose long before that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Just don't be afraid to look at a FAQ. Like Alien, the beginning is a slow paced setup to the much more direct second half. Once you feel lost go grab a FAQ. It's how all old adventure games should be played.
Yeah, that's how I play old adventure games so it won't be a problem.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

sticklefifer posted:

One thing I really like about the screenshots I'm seeing is that it's actually using darkness, and not just "muddied shades of dark purple/brown/grey and where the hell is that light coming from". Too many games (and cinema for that matter) just don't use shadow anymore.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with games, and it seems especially prevalent on the Unreal engine. It was really bad in Dishonored as there isn't any actual darkness because all the lighting is pre-baked and when you're in the dark it's just a blue or grey filter. Alien: Isolation does darkness perfectly, and I'm hoping that the next Unreal engine fixes this issue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I appreciate Evil Within for doing this successfully too. There's a lot of great stuff going on with the lighting in the game in general and lots of moments where I'd turn on the lantern while sneaking and realize there was a deadite standing like right in front of me. Silent Hill 2 and 3 were great with this too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

16. Braindead 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4lQ_LgsGE

This one is a straight up guilty pleasure. The CD era saw a revival of the Dragon's Lair style laserdisc games and Braindead 13 was one of the most heavily advertised of its time. And for good reason, it's beautifully animated and wouldn't look out of place as a Saturday morning cartoon. I remember renting this game and playing it after reruns of The Addams Family and Beetlejuice cartoon (the creator is actually credited as the character designer on Beetlejuice). I could beat this thing in my sleep but my bad reflexes today keep me from getting the iOS release.

At least give it a watch if you like cartoons. The full game without dying is about 30 minutes and the video I linked I believe is from the superior 3DO version.

This is a straight up entertaining game and I think of the few FMV games where you want to see all the animations. As a note, Fritz completely steals the show. The boxed PC version, I remember, had him on the front and at the bottom it said "Staring Fritz"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I remember playing Braindead 13 on... Playstation 1? It was one of the first games I had for the system along with Doom, and all my friends were impressed because it was like "playing a cartoon". It was good, but really one of the most frustrating FMV titles to control. You had really, really swingy directions and there was somehow more death than Dragon's Lair.

I've been playing a few horror games lately - Five Nights at Freddy's, Outlast, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation. I think Outlast is probably at the top of the heap, but like A:I it's so... exhausting to play. I feel fatigued and then I realize I've been holding my breath the whole time with the character.

Amnesia: Dark Descent is good, but I lost interest very early.

There's a fun game for like 1.95 on Steam called "Nosferatu: ??? of Malachi" or some poo poo. It's an old, old school FPS but with a twist - you're some badass fencing guy who gets invited to your cousin's wedding but when you show up at the castle everyone is dead or dying. You get weapons like a sword cane, muskets (in very limited amounts, you can even have multiple ones loaded and switch between the loaded ones firing off a volley), holy water, stakes, and a cross (only works on some of the undead enemies). It's actually kind of badass - the castle is randomized each time you play and there is a real time time limit on when your family members will be killed that pushes you through the game. It's relatively short, but the rogue-like castle and items lead to a lot of fun if you're like me and want to stake the gently caress out of vampires. Please note that when I say "old school" I mean this looks like a Half Life 1 mod or something.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Is outlast actually any good? Every bit I've seen of it looks like the entire game is running through identical enviroments ruining away from enemies through the same corridors, finding more batteries then running some more. It's like amnesia, square room connected by hallway speedrun edition. Is there an interesting story? The naked guy in the beginning was the least scariest guy since burping nurses.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

OxMan posted:

Is outlast actually any good? Every bit I've seen of it looks like the entire game is running through identical enviroments ruining away from enemies through the same corridors, finding more batteries then running some more. It's like amnesia, square room connected by hallway speedrun edition. Is there an interesting story? The naked guy in the beginning was the least scariest guy since burping nurses.

I thought it was pretty lovely, the jump scares are very cheap and the non scripted bits where you sneak about are very quickly irritating rather then scary.

The story is bad, and not even in a campy B-movie way. It's trying WAY too hard to be edgy and 'extreme' especially in the DLC and it just comes off as forced.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, here's the thing. The enemy design is not great. But it is one of those fps immersive experiences like, say, Mirror's Edge where you can see your hands and feet and stuff interacting and feel like way more than just a floating head. Being unarmed can be really tense, and the nightvision stuff is pretty great. There are some cheesy jump scares, but there is a lot of looking down a dark hallway and feeling in the pit of your stomach, "gently caress, I really don't want to go there". I'll admit that a lot of the appeal for me is I *love* when FPS games do their best to not make you feel like a camera sliding around.

YMMV, yeah, but I got my money's worth.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

OxMan posted:

It's good in the same way b movie slasher are good. If nothing else, do yourself a favor and check out the soundtrack for both games, or at least the second. It's seriously a shining light in the mediocrity.

E:Oops, had an aneurysm and thought we were talking about Obscure. Still, check out the soundtracks for obscure.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 18, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I feel like Alien Isolation does pretty much everything that Outlast does without edgy genital mutilation and rape being limited to allusion via the Xenomorph.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

OxMan posted:

I thought it was really good, one of my favorite first person horror games in the last few years. Subtle it's not, but it's also really intense. The running through hallways is broken up pretty well by some light exploration and puzzle solving.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I remember playing Braindead 13 on... Playstation 1? It was one of the first games I had for the system along with Doom, and all my friends were impressed because it was like "playing a cartoon". It was good, but really one of the most frustrating FMV titles to control. You had really, really swingy directions and there was somehow more death than Dragon's Lair.

I've been playing a few horror games lately - Five Nights at Freddy's, Outlast, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation. I think Outlast is probably at the top of the heap, but like A:I it's so... exhausting to play. I feel fatigued and then I realize I've been holding my breath the whole time with the character.

Amnesia: Dark Descent is good, but I lost interest very early.

There's a fun game for like 1.95 on Steam called "Nosferatu: ??? of Malachi" or some poo poo. It's an old, old school FPS but with a twist - you're some badass fencing guy who gets invited to your cousin's wedding but when you show up at the castle everyone is dead or dying. You get weapons like a sword cane, muskets (in very limited amounts, you can even have multiple ones loaded and switch between the loaded ones firing off a volley), holy water, stakes, and a cross (only works on some of the undead enemies). It's actually kind of badass - the castle is randomized each time you play and there is a real time time limit on when your family members will be killed that pushes you through the game. It's relatively short, but the rogue-like castle and items lead to a lot of fun if you're like me and want to stake the gently caress out of vampires. Please note that when I say "old school" I mean this looks like a Half Life 1 mod or something.

There's another horror game like this one where you also get lots of magical items to use, and specific spells work really well against specific enemies. It's not Undying but very similar to it and Malachi. I remember it was released to zero fanfare because it came out the same week as like Doom 3 or HL2 or some other mega-huge PC title. I thought it was Wrath of Malachi but I remember a big part of the system was that you'd have a gun/blade in one hand and different artifacts to invoke your spells in the other. I know Undying has that very setup but it was definitely not Undying.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Improbable Lobster posted:

I feel like Alien Isolation does pretty much everything that Outlast does without edgy genital mutilation and rape being limited to allusion via the Xenomorph.

I hesitantly agree with you, but I think Outlast still deserves a look if you like horror games.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

OxMan posted:

Definitely. Yeah, the designers did go overboard with the gore and body stuff and the in your face edginess, but Outlast was the first game in a while that actually invoked a feeling of dread in me. The atmosphere is great and the sound design is really great too. So yeah, I think it's worth it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dumb_Rodent is working through an extremely well-done LP of Outlast. Its worth checking out if you're on the fence about the game.

That said, while I think it did try too hard, its definitely a game worth picking up on sale and I'm looking forward to what Red Barrels tries next. Hopefully they progress in the same way Frictional did.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

1stGear posted:

Dumb_Rodent is working through an extremely well-done LP of Outlast. Its worth checking out if you're on the fence about the game.

That said, while I think it did try too hard, its definitely a game worth picking up on sale and I'm looking forward to what Red Barrels tries next. Hopefully they progress in the same way Frictional did.

If their next game doesn't have so much goddamn gay-rape-as-horror then I'll probably like it a lot.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

If their next game doesn't have so much goddamn gay-rape-as-horror then I'll probably like it a lot.

Was that in the dlc? I don't really remember gay rape in the LP I watched of Outlast

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Was that in the dlc? I don't really remember gay rape in the LP I watched of Outlast

Yeah the DLC is pretty stupid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, early in the Whistleblower you're chased by a dude called The Groom who is trying to saw your dick off and rape you. As you go through his hideout you see a ton of corpses that have already had their dicks cut off.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Man on man rape is kind of new in a horror game though. If it could be utilized well to really bring an air of uncomfortable - ness and true vulnerability I'd actually be interested to see it. The way the dlc handles it sounds stupid though.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 18, 2014

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I liked Outlast and everything, but it tried very, very hard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Man on man rape is kind of new in a horror game though. If it could be utilized well to really bring an air of uncomfortable - ness I'd actually be interested to see it. The way the dlc handles it sounds stupid though.

There are very few pieces of media that have used any type of rape as an effective horror device and Outlast is not one of them.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm actually playing through all of outlast and dlc and just finished outlast, now going on whilstleblower.

I would arguable say that Outlast is more immersive than Alien:Isolation. A:I looks gorgeous but Outlast just does not ever break immersion the way A:I would occasionally do. It's an incredibly tense game and both have got their merits.

I do like the DLC, less so that Outlast itself and it really, really tries way too hard to be edgy to the point of absurdity but it was still a fun ride.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Man on man rape is kind of new in a horror game though. If it could be utilized well to really bring an air of uncomfortable - ness I'd actually be interested to see it. The way the dlc handles it sounds stupid though.

There's a sense the devs wanted to tap into that aspect of horror and masculinity. Outlast has flagrant full-frontal shots and the various male patients tow the line between victim and predator almost effortlessly. Unfortunately the devs approached this the way a 18-year old goth kid would and went completely overboard with how "dark" and "edgy" everything is.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

A lot of you guys seem to have an overall positive opinion of outlast so I'll try giving it another go. I hadn't seen any exploration or puzzle solving so I'll re evaluate it then, good thing its not just running then.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

OxMan posted:

It's bad (and the story gets stupider as it goes on) but there are so few good horror games ever let alone nowadays that it can look pretty good in comparison.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I actually find it really interesting the way Outlast played with that sexual horror stuff that's practically a GIVEN in so much horror media where the protagonist is female. I enjoyed the fact that you're playing as a male and experience those same kinds of tropes. It definitely doesn't pull everything off, but I thought it was a lot of fun and genuinely scary at points. The way Whistleblower fits in with the original really made me smile too toward the end. They're both short games and don't outstay their welcome.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I thought it wasn't all that terribly good, with most of OxMan's criticisms being pretty spot on, but it's certainly not the worst game in recent history either. It's a comfortable second place to The Dark Descent, I'd say.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

an overdue owl posted:

I actually find it really interesting the way Outlast played with that sexual horror stuff that's practically a GIVEN in so much horror media where the protagonist is female.
This is a really good point, whatever you call Outlast, misogynistic is one of the things it's not. Unless you'd take the absence of women in the game as such.

Also I caved and bought Alien: Isolation, it better not go on sale at Halloween! I am loving the poo poo out of the look so far, they're nailing the 70s future sci-fi aesthetic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This is a really good point, whatever you call Outlast, misogynistic is one of the things it's not. Unless you'd take the absence of women in the game as such.
It's probably better for it. Given the themes, involving women would only have moved it past scary to genuinely disturbing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So Daylight is some game I got for free with the purchase of my video card. I think it's a horror game, but is it even worth playing or is it just some sort of mediocre UE4 engine test more than anything?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I might have to restart Fatal Frame 1 over. I may not be able to beat it now. How hosed am I if I just started the 3rd night and I have no medicine and none of the strong film left?

It took me a while to get used to the controls. It was about 6 or 7 ghost battles before I even realized you could walk backwards in camera mode. (You press down on the right analog stick) I took a lot of stupid damage from the easy ghosts in the beginning.

I'm at the point now where I'm reloading the save every time I get hit by a ghost and that's not any fun.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I might have to restart Fatal Frame 1 over. I may not be able to beat it now. How hosed am I if I just started the 3rd night and I have no medicine and none of the strong film left?

It took me a while to get used to the controls. It was about 6 or 7 ghost battles before I even realized you could walk backwards in camera mode. (You press down on the right analog stick) I took a lot of stupid damage from the easy ghosts in the beginning.

I'm at the point now where I'm reloading the save every time I get hit by a ghost and that's not any fun.
Are you having trouble with any particular ghost? And I think you should be able to refill the baseline film anytime you hit a save point camera, and if you've been upgrading your camera then most normal enemies are not too difficult to deal with. But I could probably give you a pointer if you're having trouble with a particular ghost.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Volt Catfish posted:

So Daylight is some game I got for free with the purchase of my video card. I think it's a horror game, but is it even worth playing or is it just some sort of mediocre UE4 engine test more than anything?

It's pretty much the same jump scare over and over again, but I just watched an LP so I can't tell you if it's a good "game" or not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Daylight is not good. It is essentially a higher budget Slender where you slowly move around large, randomly generated environments trying to find notes and macguffins to advance. You're chased by immortal ghost things and have to run away while sometimes solving rudimentary context based puzzles.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Daylight is indeed not good, which is a shame because it has one of the greatest gimmicks of all time. If you stream yourself playing Daylight on Twitch.tv your viewers get special buttons that mess with your game. They can trigger false footsteps, the static effect that signals a nearby enemy, and other effects to screw with you. Used in moderation, it becomes a very effective adversarial multiplayer horror game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)

Wow, Halloween edition! What a perfect October game! Let's just see what kind of game this is...

The goddamned tagline posted:

MORE STORY THAN GORY! A HYBRID OF ALTERNATIVE HORROR AND CREEPYPASTA...
...fffffffuck.

As far as indie horror games go, this one could be worse. You walk the ill-lit halls and environs of the unfortunately-named Grimhaven Orphanage with naught but your cellphone flashlight and your graspin' hand to guide you. The graphics are pretty sharp and the atmosphere is nice and lonely... until the ghost messages start up. Every time you get near an important item or location, some kid will pop onto your phone and whisper spooky clues to you. They're little FMV clips of (I assume) the developer's friends that carry absolutely no weight and blow the solitary feel of the game all to hell.

But even ignoring the clips, exploring the grounds gets tedious fast. Huntsman purports to be a "non-linear" game, which basically means they made huge, wide open fields of brush to get lost in, and put about a billion little useless siderooms in the orphanage. You have to find 12 mcguffins around the place but without knowing what they are (the kids are pretty drat vague sometimes) they can be hard to pick out of the piles of copy/pasted detritus infesting the rooms. You can also only carry one at a time, so if you put one down, you better take note of where you left it. I had no idea what to DO with them either, at least until I read up on the goal on the game's store page.

The titular Huntsman is actually pretty cool looking, and his introduction was appropriately creepy, but I never actually saw him again after that. Of course, I just wandered around with a toy frog in hand for about 10 minutes and gave up, so I might not have given him the chance. Honestly, you shouldn't either.

13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi

I'm not going to beat around the bush: This game owns. It's a conditional sort of owning, the kind where the game itself is 13 years old and rough around the edges, but if you can get past that it is a fantastic experience. Your character is meeting your family at a totally-not-creepy-at-all eastern European castle for your sister's wedding, and you arrive in the dead of night to discover the castle is a den of horrors. It's a first-person action game that moves like the Quake II/Half-Life 1 era games, so be prepared for sliding around at 40mph with your cane sword and crucifix. You'll be glad of it soon enough, because the enemies are quick and relentless and you'll need to do some sidestep dancing if you want to survive.

The big draw here is that there's a whole castle to explore to find your family members, and it's randomized with each new game. I've found the layout doesn't change too dramatically, but the locations of enemies and items (including essential items like keys) vary immensely. The first time I played, the East Wing key was sitting right out in the open for me to take, but the second time I had to delve into the cellars and wrest it from a pair of vampires. You find a wide assortment of weapons and tools with multiple uses, like stakes that can be used to pin bloodsuckers or burn as light sources. And you'll need to use them, too, because enemies in this game do not gently caress around.

Again, this game is 13 years old, and looks and feels the part. But as long as you can get past that there's a deep game of terrifying exploration here. The atmosphere is excellent, with dramatic lightning and some chilling musical cues. This one's definitely a stand-out in my Halloween roundup.

14. Scarygirl

Honestly, I was going to do one of the Amnesia games to round out the night but Nosferatu rattled me so good I decided to take on something lighter. And Scarygirl is nothing if not light. It's a platformer presented in colorful, cartoony 3D about a little mutant girl and her octopus friend who met a spiritual rabbit who sent them on a journey to the tree of oh dear I've gone crosseyed. The aesthetics are pretty far up their own rear end here, with a charmless British narrator telling a quirky story in a weird little Nicktoon world, but there's just no heart to any of it.

There's not a whole lot to any of the game, really. You have light and heavy attacks and grapples with your tentacle-arms like some kind of sidescrolling Tumblr Kratos, but enemies are standard walk-left-and-right fare so you're going to annihilate them no matter what you press. The levels are simple with very little to find, though some branch into multiple paths which could theoretically encourage replays. You pick up gems you can use to buy new moves and attack upgrades with, and fish which restore your health because you're weird and scary I guess. There's not much else to say about it, really... everything it does has been done better by some other platformer. I think there's only around 20 short stages so I'll probably finish it, but knowing what I do now about it, Scarygirl wouldn't have ended up on my wishlist in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cardiovorax posted:

It's probably better for it. Given the themes, involving women would only have moved it past scary to genuinely disturbing.

IIRC the game explains it by you landing in the male wing of the building, and the female wing being on the other side. All the routes there are blocked off and you never have any reason to go there, hence why there's no women in the game.

The only real problem I have with the game is the 'mental illness = violence' theme the game suggests and reinforces, but that's a discussion for another thread.