Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I want the creepiest, most immersive game I can get. I've played System Shock 2 and I want more along that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Zyntherius posted:

Are there any games, Story wise, That are similar to spec ops the line.. Because i know spec ops is just a very average third person shooter but what i loved about it was it was released along side modern warfare and battlefield who were "HWARH!! WAR!! YEAAAHHH!!!" and then spec ops came out and took a poo poo all over that
It's pretty unique from that vantage point, that was one reason it got so much attention. The only thing that comes to mind that's close in terms of subversiveness is Papers, Please

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

I want the creepiest, most immersive game I can get. I've played System Shock 2 and I want more along that vein.

The first Amnesia (Dark Descent?) is really atmospheric and terrifying because mechanics encourage you to not look at the monsters hunting you.

If you want scifi Alien Isolation has a similar vibe with the xenomorph stalking you and being literally invincible.

Edit: \/ STALKER is definitely also a good choice.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SquadronROE posted:

STALKER is pretty good? Bioshock 1?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Mokinokaro posted:

The first Amnesia (Dark Descent?) is really atmospheric and terrifying.

If you want scifi Alien Isolation has a similar vibe with the xenomorph stalking you and being literally invincible.

I tried Amnesia and might give it another shot, but I want to feel like I have some sort of power in the game. What I hated about Amnesia was how powerless I was, and what I loved about SS2 was that even though I was terrified, I still had a gun.

I played the first STALKER and Bioshock 1/2. Worth playing any of the other STALKERs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SquadronROE posted:

I tried Amnesia and might give it another shot, but I want to feel like I have some sort of power in the game. What I hated about Amnesia was how powerless I was, and what I loved about SS2 was that even though I was terrified, I still had a gun.

I played the first STALKER and Bioshock 1/2. Worth playing any of the other STALKERs?

Have you tried Five Nights at Freddy's?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SquadronROE posted:

Call of Pripyat is pretty good. It's less buggy and a little more freeform than the first game, but it's also much easier and has far less of a horror element.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried Five Nights at Freddy's?

Did you actually bother to read his whole post? It's only three sentences man. He specifically said that he hates being powerless in game, he wants to fight the monsters instead of hiding from them. That is 100% the opposite of Five Nights at Freddy's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SquadronROE posted:

There's some pretty crazy mods out there for all the STALKER games. If you've played the first there's not much more to it than that, just more areas and stuff. I like it a lot though, and the mods can really ratchet up the creepy/immersion factor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

You might want to look into AvP 2000 which has an excellent marine campaign. It's also free from gog.com if you don't mind waiting a couple days for a key.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chomp8645 posted:

Did you actually bother to read his whole post? It's only three sentences man. He specifically said that he hates being powerless in game, he wants to fight the monsters instead of hiding from them. That is 100% the opposite of Five Nights at Freddy's.

It's late and I missed it :cripes:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zyntherius posted:

Apologies if this has already been requested..

Are there any games, Story wise, That are similar to spec ops the line.. Because i know spec ops is just a very average third person shooter but what i loved about it was it was released along side modern warfare and battlefield who were "HWARH!! WAR!! YEAAAHHH!!!" and then spec ops came out and took a poo poo all over that

Are you talking about games that deconstruct their genre?

Maybe try No More Heroes. It's presented as a generic hack and slash game but it's about how gross hardcore nerds can get and what happens if their power fantasies become reality.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's late and I missed it :cripes:.

It's ok. Sleep goon... sleep....

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

but it's also much easier and has far less of a horror element.

Misery 2.0, 'nuff said.

Also for Clear Sky (the one they'll probably be against you getting the most) has The Faction Wars mod. While it may not have horror it's probably the best mod for all three of the games.

Also STALKER: Lost Alpha is completely and legally free. Don't buy any of the other games before you play this. It's basically the first game but way better and being constantly developed.

Again, DOWNLOAD LOST ALPHA, IT IS FREE.

As you may or may not have guessed this series has the most dynamic mod support while retaining the core game. Check out the STALKER thread. We have a good modder working on various things. If i'm not mistaken he's refining The Faction Wars mod.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SquadronROE posted:

Get your hands on a Rift and enable the hidden VR support in Alien: Isolation. (I won't, because I can't afford to keep buying pants.)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SquadronROE posted:

There's always Outlast. Game is pretty tense all the way through.

The Forest is also really atmospheric, but it doesn't have a story. Just some light crafting and spooky cannibals.

Condemned is pretty much exactly what you are looking for, but I'm guessing you already played it. If not, it's an okay game with some good atmosphere.

The Suffering is an old game that is kind of okay and I only mention it because you can get it for free if you look hard enough. The United States Airforce apparently bought it and released it as freeware in a scrapped promotion.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Didn't we already start creating a list of said games in the last page? Zeno Clash is creepy as hell and has an incredibly rich and unique atmosphere. The game ruins itself later on when all you use is guns.

Afraid of Monsters, Cry of fear, FEAR, condemned (seconding it because it totally is what you are looking for). Manhunt, Penumbra, Receiver (this one is free and is incredibly frantic), Thief series (1 & 2 are apparently scary, I have 3 and it isn't that unsettling). I'm pretty sure Condemned 2 would fit the bill as well. There was a gasmask section that actually made me feel like I was suffocating. Dead Space 1 is another good one.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 18, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I remember really liking Burnout 2 on the Gamecube a decade ago. I want to play something similar (arcadey and destructive driving). I've got a Wii, XBOX 360 and PC, and don't particularly mind what platform. Hit me with suggestions.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I remember really liking Burnout 2 on the Gamecube a decade ago. I want to play something similar (arcadey and destructive driving). I've got a Wii, XBOX 360 and PC, and don't particularly mind what platform. Hit me with suggestions.

Burnout Paradise and Need For Speed: Most Wanted.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

SquadronROE posted:

I don't know about "creepiest, most immersive" but Dead Space is usually compared to System Shock.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Next Car Game: Wreckfest

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Tagra posted:

I don't know about "creepiest, most immersive" but Dead Space is usually compared to System Shock.

I'd consider Dead Space closer to System Shock than Bioshock.

Bioshock is another one, it has a pretty cool plot and great atmosphere. But as I said, DS pulls way more from the same bin as SS.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 18, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Are there any single player RPGs with Tab targeting, auto-attacking MMO type combat where the challenge comes from figuring out and optimizing the best spell/ability rotations? I need a single player game to curb my craving for WoW.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Uh, would I be "that guy" if I suggested Demon's/Dark Souls right now?

Edit: for the creepy immersive but not powerless guy

Edit2: I wonder if a single player game with WoW style trinity combat but a pause and scripting would be fun? Something sort of similar to Baldur's gate/Dragon Age but going all the way with the WoW mechanics.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 18, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit2: I wonder if a single player game with WoW style trinity combat but a pause and scripting would be fun? Something sort of similar to Baldur's gate/Dragon Age but going all the way with the WoW mechanics.

I've said for years I would kill for WoW to be directly translated into a single player game where friendly and enemy factions were AI generated, and where party members were fully scriptable with Dragon Age style party member switching and tactical camera view. Even right now there are several groups out there actively trying to accomplish exactly that (sans Dragon Age camera switching).

I'm honestly shocked that it's been all this time and nobody has tried to fill that void in the market yet with an IP of their own.

edit: Also, Demon's/Dark Souls are excellent for being games that allow you to just get so caught up in them that you forget about the world around you for a while. They're very immersive in that regard. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they're horror games, but they're about as close to horror as you can get without trying specifically to be horror.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Might not be the style you're looking for, but if you're able to emulate or otherwise play it then Final Fantasy XII (International Zodiac Job System preferably) is a single-player RPG in which you can select your skills but attack automatically and your party members can be scripted to fight on their own or switched to for manual control at any time. Pretty much MMO-style open world as well.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any single player RPGs with Tab targeting, auto-attacking MMO type combat where the challenge comes from figuring out and optimizing the best spell/ability rotations? I need a single player game to curb my craving for WoW.

Guild Wars 1 works very well as a single player RPG, as you can grab fully customizable NPCs to fight with you. Just start with Nightfall or grab the Eye of the North expansion, and you'll get your Hero followers. There's no need to party with other players, the Hero NPCs and mercenaries will perform better anyway. The entire skill system of the game is built around choosing combinations of skills and using them efficiently. There's a passable high fantasy storyline in each of the stand-alone campaigns of GW.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm a former ~~hardcore WoW raider~~ and absolutely fell in love with dark souls I+II. I heartily recommend it to anyone but especially can say that it tickles the same pleasure centers as raiding in WoW and getting a boss down after trying for a long time. Nothing else has come close to that feeling for me in terms of other boss-driven games.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I've said for years I would kill for WoW to be directly translated into a single player game where friendly and enemy factions were AI generated, and where party members were fully scriptable with Dragon Age style party member switching and tactical camera view. Even right now there are several groups out there actively trying to accomplish exactly that (sans Dragon Age camera switching).

I'm honestly shocked that it's been all this time and nobody has tried to fill that void in the market yet with an IP of their own.

My dream game is ~2-4 player WoW raids where we can experience the challenge of a highly scripted and well coordinated boss battle without the horrors of herding 10-25 retarded teammates who are hoping to freeload through the fight while watching TV then scoop loot and run.

FORCED is pretty close, but the network issues really put a damper on it. Borderlands 2 actually has some pretty awesome optional bosses but it just wasn't deep or balanced enough, especially when you finally win and the loot tables are rear end. (Just started playing the pre-sequel now and hoping they stepped it up, though). Gauntlet is pretty sweet, but doesn't have the big boss raid feel.

I think the closest so far has been Diablo 3 and defeating Malthael and Soul of Evil on T6 to get on the seasonal leaderboard. That was awesome but there were only the two of them and now we're done :smith:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

GreatGreen posted:

The Tales of series is not hugely different from this. Maybe give Tales of Vesperia a try.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

My dream game is ~2-4 player WoW raids where we can experience the challenge of a highly scripted and well coordinated boss battle without the horrors of herding 10-25 retarded teammates who are hoping to freeload through the fight while watching TV then scoop loot and run.

FORCED is pretty close, but the network issues really put a damper on it. Borderlands 2 actually has some pretty awesome optional bosses but it just wasn't deep or balanced enough, especially when you finally win and the loot tables are rear end. (Just started playing the pre-sequel now and hoping they stepped it up, though). Gauntlet is pretty sweet, but doesn't have the big boss raid feel.

I think the closest so far has been Diablo 3 and defeating Malthael and Soul of Evil on T6 to get on the seasonal leaderboard. That was awesome but there were only the two of them and now we're done :smith:

Wait is Forced actually a good game? I tried the demo sometime in the last year and I got the impression it was a hot garbage MOBA.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Been having fun running through it with a friend, we did all the first-level challenges and got almost to the second boss before it's finally got properly difficult. The puzzle element is nice but I feel incredibly squishy no matter what character I use. Sometimes there feels like just no way to avoid damage.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I recently played SSX3 for the first time and loved it, and it's really whet my appetite for more. Are there any other really great snowboarding or general extreme sports games for the PC or PS2 era consoles?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

This was the talking point and point of contention for Final Fantasy 12. There's also White Knight Chronicles which I recommend just getting the sequel because it comes with the original.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

This was the talking point and point of contention for Final Fantasy 12. There's also White Knight Chronicles which I recommend just getting the sequel because it comes with the original.

Just note that if you're a completionist you cannot 100% WKC as the online servers have been down for a while now. The main singleplayer shouldn't be affected.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I've been pondering which game to get in the Steam thread and realized that this thread would probably be a better place to ponder.

I'm looking for a DMC style game on the PS3 with ranged weapons that are actually useful. Fast paced crowd control brawler/shooter. I'm thinking revengance but raiden doesn't have any standard ranged ballistic weapons, he only has that whip weapon. Not to mention the game is incredibly short (gamefly).

TL;DR: Does DMC 5's (emo dante DMC) ranged weapons have any merit whatsoever?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 19, 2014

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

The Royal Scrub posted:

Wait is Forced actually a good game? I tried the demo sometime in the last year and I got the impression it was a hot garbage MOBA.

Maybe you're thinking of a different game... it's not PvP at all. It's a series of challenges where the players (or solo player, but it didn't seem to get any easier for just one player and ack I got nowhere without people to coordinate ball bounces with...) have to complete objectives to complete the stage and advance. Completing challenges unlocks crystals which in turn unlock more stages and abilities. Each stage has multiple challenges, usually requiring different strategies for each one. All of them have standard stuff like a time attack challenge, but then some have crazy rear end "achievement" style challenges like "do this without getting hit or using any abilities" that can get sort of ridiculous.

One of the main gimmicks is a ball that attaches to a character, and can be passed back and forth (or placed on the ground). It activates switches and such when it contacts them, and can travel over certain things that players cannot, but it only moves from character to character, so you have to position yourself and the ball appropriately then hit the button to call it to you in such a way that it will pass over the things you need to be activated. It starts getting really hard when there's monsters and laser traps and whatever the gently caress else trying to kill you, plus you're going for the time trial achievement for more crystals, plus your friend just hit the button by accident and it just hosed everything over and it's the 14th time in the last half hour you hosed that up and now you want to kill each other and you're not friends anymore.
It's pretty great.

But the laggy netcode made it impossible... that level of precision is just not doable when one of you is lagging :sigh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreatGreen posted:

Xenoblade?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there other local multiplayer games are out there that let you operate more or less independently from each other like splitscreen Minecraft/Terraria? Preferably ones where you can suck at games and still enjoy playing.

edit: I have a gaming PC, 360, Wii, Dreamcast, N64, SNES, and NES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

I've been pondering which game to get in the Steam thread and realized that this thread would probably be a better place to ponder.

I'm looking for a DMC style game on the PS3 with ranged weapons that are actually useful. Fast paced crowd control brawler/shooter. I'm thinking revengance but raiden doesn't have any standard ranged ballistic weapons, he only has that whip weapon. Not to mention the game is incredibly short (gamefly).

TL;DR: Does DMC 5's (emo dante DMC) ranged weapons have any merit whatsoever?

Vanquish. Play Vanquish. So much Vanquish.Its literally DMC with all guns.

Also Bayonetta. Bayonetta is really good and plays exactly like DMC.

Also "DmC" with emo dante sucks don't play it. :colbert:

Cicero posted:

Are there other local multiplayer games are out there that let you operate more or less independently from each other like splitscreen Minecraft/Terraria? Preferably ones where you can suck at games and still enjoy playing.

edit: I have a gaming PC, 360, Wii, Dreamcast, N64, SNES, and NES

How about Dynasty Warriors?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 20, 2014