Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?
I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I bought this one on 9/22 according to Amazon so I've had it for a few weeks now. Charges my 6 stupid fast. Haven't had any problems with it. I think it was one of the highest rated on Amazon so that's why I bought it.

Thank you, that looks like it will do the job.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Got my iPhone 6 yesterday. It was part of a "brand-new" shipment from a Best Buy Mobile, for AT&T. Software version is 8.0.2.

Set it up and within a few hours wifi was becoming unusably slow. I tried resetting network settings and it was back to normal speeds for about 1 minute. Then I reset all settings and it was good for a day. Now it's back to basically no wifi. The only clues I can think of are that I was downloading a bunch of apps from the app store when my wifi started to slow down (I was able to install about 2GB of apps before it poo poo the bed leaving only one app stuck at ~25% downloaded), and I was again downloading an app when my wifi went out today.

The app that I tried to download today was the NASA Earth Now app. I was trying to uninstall/reinstall it because it was crashing to the springboard on startup, which itself is weird because there are no reviews mentioning such a problem in the app store listing and the app was updated in August 2014. Needless to say I haven't been able to install it because the download stopped.

So now I'm going through the restore -> set up as new process. I won't be able to reload my backup from today after the process is complete if I want to have a truly clean slate, right? I'll need to download apps one-by-one to see if/when wifi goes out again if I want to make sure the problem doesn't return or is due to a specific app or setting, right?

Pretty lovely. But man can't live on rationed LTE alone.

EDIT: Just finished restoring and setting up as new. Wifi speeds are still incredibly slow- like 3 minutes to load the front page of wikipedia slow. Great. What now? Do a DFU restore? I think that was the thing I had to do that once with my old iPhone 4.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 18, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?
If you happen to have a stupid amount of USB crap to charge this one has been good for me. Might only be 2A for the iPhone though.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

EDIT: Just finished restoring and setting up as new. Wifi speeds are still incredibly slow- like 3 minutes to load the front page of wikipedia slow. Great. What now? Do a DFU restore? I think that was the thing I had to do that once with my old iPhone 4.
Got any other wifi access points you could test with to confirm whether or not it's the phone itself? Otherwise I'd mess with your access point, check for updates or at least restart it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
That's what I've been looking for, thanks. It's been a while since I had to do that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

japtor posted:

Got any other wifi access points you could test with to confirm whether or not it's the phone itself? Otherwise I'd mess with your access point, check for updates or at least restart it.

Home wifi+router works fine with all my other devices and I am not able to use work wifi either. Phone was connecting fine at both locations earlier today. Restarting home access points does not help.

fake edit: Just reset all settings on my phone again. After restoring iOS and setting up as a new phone I got no improvement, but reseting all settings again got my wifi connection back to a reasonable speed. So strange; the only things I've done since setting up as new were getting TouchID set up and logging into iCloud. Hard to believe that resetting all settings is really fixing the problem. What could TouchID and iCloud have to do with my wifi connection? Device is on bare factory settings except for those two things.

I'm really tempted to just make an appointment at the Apple store for tomorrow morning, even though it means having to drive for an hour to get there and this problem seems like it might be hard to replicate. I need to get this fixed ASAP, though.

fake edit 2: Wifi out again! Making fruit stand appointment. Jesus, what a lovely issue to be dealing with on a brand new phone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wifi is a known bug on the new devices isnt it?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The wifi bug is with iOS 8, in my estimation. I had pretty much the same issue you're describing on my 5S after upgrading to iOS 8. My iPad on 7.1.x can be next to my phone with a solid connection, and this loving 5S just keeps spinning and spinning. It will just randomly drop the wifi connection, too. No such issues before using 8. What's weird is these issues weren't there in the betas I used. Oh well.

I would be really, really shocked if this is not fixed with the update being released on Monday.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Team no case. I let a girl take a photo of me and my friends last night and she dropped it right on the concrete. Had an iPhone 4 and 5 for two years each and never had any blemishes on either. Now I have a crack down half the side of my phone. Pretty loving bummed but at least I know it wasn't my fault. Protip: don't let anybody else touch your loving phone.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

decypher posted:

The wifi bug is with iOS 8, in my estimation. I had pretty much the same issue you're describing on my 5S after upgrading to iOS 8. My iPad on 7.1.x can be next to my phone with a solid connection, and this loving 5S just keeps spinning and spinning. It will just randomly drop the wifi connection, too. No such issues before using 8. What's weird is these issues weren't there in the betas I used. Oh well.

I would be really, really shocked if this is not fixed with the update being released on Monday.

Yeah I had the same issues on my 5s with iOS 8. Slow wifi connection. Sometimes putting it in airplane mode and then back again solved it. Sometimes it wouldn't find the signal at all after I turned airplane mode off and on again.
Hope the next update fixes this for you guys.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Team no case. I let a girl take a photo of me and my friends last night and she dropped it right on the concrete. Had an iPhone 4 and 5 for two years each and never had any blemishes on either. Now I have a crack down half the side of my phone. Pretty loving bummed but at least I know it wasn't my fault. Protip: don't let anybody else touch your loving phone.

Another guy had the same story, but I'm pretty sure she offered to pay for it and he called her a bitch like 20 times.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I know we've talked about the "Other" data problem to death here, but it's anyone else finding theirs far worse on iOS 8 and/or the new iPhones?

I set mine up as a brand new iPhone, and it had roughly 1GB out-of-the-box. Restored only my contacts from iCloud, downloaded my usual apps, and within a day it was up to 2GB. The past couple of weeks it's climbed up to 3GB. I unplugged it from iTunes tonight, remembered I wanted to put a video on, plugged it back in, and it had gone from 3.06GB to 3.14GB instantly. Before the switch I would see it slowly climb over the course of a month, but it's happening daily.

While I appreciate the inevitable helpful suggestions, I've already restored, deleted email/MMS accounts, manually managed music, iFunbox'd, PhoneClean'd, etc etc. For those of us cursed with this problem there's no easy solution. Kind of just wondering if others are seeing this as well.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

bronin posted:

Yeah I had the same issues on my 5s with iOS 8. Slow wifi connection. Sometimes putting it in airplane mode and then back again solved it. Sometimes it wouldn't find the signal at all after I turned airplane mode off and on again.
Hope the next update fixes this for you guys.

I'm on a 5s and I have had similar issues with wifi ever since I "upgraded" to iOS 8. Sometimes it works like it normally did, 75% of the time my apps are struggling to load even though I technically have wifi on. Ridiculous because I've never had issues before.

Isn't 8.1 slotted to come out really soon at least? I remember thinking the 20th?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
If you let someone use your phone and they drop and break it, is it considered reasonable to expect the person who dropped it to assume the repair costs?

I'm asking just out of curiosity as I've never been in the situation before.

By handing someone my phone am I also implying "accidents are accidents" and if an accident happens its the lender's (my) responsibility since I could have held on to it?

OR does the person taking the phone imply responsibility for the phone while its in their possession?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

eriddy posted:

If you let someone use your phone and they drop and break it, is it considered reasonable to expect the person who dropped it to assume the repair costs?

By handing someone my phone am I also implying "accidents are accidents" and if an accident happens its the lender's (my) responsibility since I could have held on to it?

OR does the person taking the phone imply responsibility for the phone while its in their possession?

The whole thing is a social gray area. Does the person have the means to replace the phone? Is their personality such that they will accept responsibility graciously or will they be a dick about it? Is your friendship such that you don't want a broken phone come between you? Some combination of those factors and others will give you the answer for that particular person.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

eriddy posted:

In simplest terms, if they broke it, they should pay to repair it.

However, yeah, the factors of your friendship, their financial standing, how much of an accident you deem it (or if you have AppleCare) can change that.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
They should pay for the damage imo. Then again most people here in Germany have some kind of personal insurance (Privathaftpflicht) which should cover stuff like that. Probably doesn't help you though...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you ask a stranger to take a photo of yourself and your friends and you hand them a fragile, slick, ceaseless phone they're almost certainly unfamiliar with, you're a dick if you expect them to pay for an accident like that. Because you've put that stranger in the position of either taking your photo or looking like a self centered rear end in a top hat.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Choadmaster posted:

If you ask a stranger to take a photo of yourself and your friends and you hand them a fragile, slick, ceaseless phone they're almost certainly unfamiliar with, you're a dick if you expect them to pay for an accident like that. Because you've put that stranger in the position of either taking your photo or looking like a self centered rear end in a top hat.

I'd like to meet the person who is unfamiliar with a smartphone in 2014.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

Good use case for an iPhone wrist strap! Welcome, new friend!

Holy poo poo, you screw this thing into the pentalobe screw holes in the bottom of the phone! :getin:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

I'd like to meet the person who is unfamiliar with a smartphone in 2014.

Eh, I would agree with the previous post that having a stranger take a picture is always just a slight risk on your part. 9/10 times you are fine, but you are literally just trusting someone you don't know, and at end of the day you can't hold that person as liable for it (if they are nice you are very lucky).

I've worked in phones for 6 years, and as a "professional" I just hosed up a new in box 6+ for a customer when removing a case (thank god apple fixed it). Slightly different, I know, but even people who work with it every day are not perfect.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Waking up this morning and I see that wifi downlink speeds are back to 'usable.'

:psyduck: I guess I'll cancel my Apple Store appointment. No use trying to convince the genius that there's something wrong if I can't reproduce the problem.

Fake edit: ... But I'm restoring apps from the App Store over wifi. I'm worried that throttling my internet will bring the slowdown back. The handset is getting warm.

...Could the issue return soon? I haven't cancelled the appointment yet, but if there's a new software update coming on Monday I'm hoping I can just scrape by until then.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Choadmaster posted:

Yup. This exactly. If you're asking a favor its on you, if they are asking to borrow the thing, its on them.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Waking up this morning and I see that wifi downlink speeds are back to 'usable.'

:psyduck: I guess I'll cancel my Apple Store appointment. No use trying to convince the genius that there's something wrong if I can't reproduce the problem.

Fake edit: ... But I'm restoring apps from the App Store over wifi. I'm worried that throttling my internet will bring the slowdown back. The handset is getting warm.

...Could the issue return soon? I haven't cancelled the appointment yet, but if there's a new software update coming on Monday I'm hoping I can just scrape by until then.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, I've had very similar issues, and my experience is that sometimes the wifi works perfectly fine, and sometimes it barely works like you've experienced. I would wait until the iOS update and if there's still problems, then go to the store, honestly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

porktree posted:

Yup. This exactly. If you're asking a favor its on you, if they are asking to borrow the thing, its on them.

This still seems wrong to me given he only asked them to take a photo using a smartphone in 2014 (even if that is the case). It's not like someone was handed a confusing device that is confusing to understand. You hold it and press the circle and you're done. If it were some difficult to control device that had lanky proportions, it makes sense.

Then again, we're adding the variables of it being a stranger that was handed the phone and the purpose being having a picture taken. It could totally be him asking a friend to hold his phone while he went into a public bathroom to change his pants or something. He also says "let someone" which suggests they asked to hold the phone.

But anyway.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
The picture taker can refuse a strangers phone, if they drop or damage others property is is their fault. Case closed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I handed my phone to a friend of a friend while we were all out at a bar. Add alcohol to the mix and it's understandable that someone could be clumsy enough to drop a slick, smooth, thin smartphone. I'm not super bummed about it - I just feel like it sucks worse knowing it wasn't even necessarily my fault because the phone didn't drop out of my own hands. Can't cry over spilt milk, though. I still defend going caseless. In all seriousness the only two people who have ever dropped any phone I've ever had were girls who have had alcohol in their system. First was my Nexus One a bunch of years ago, and now my 6 last night.

That said, I would rather not pay a deductible for a brand new phone using my carriers insurance. Any word on iPhone 6 front glass repair?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You guys seem like the kind of dudes that would make friends pay for a beer out of your fridge.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ShoogaSlim posted:

That said, I would rather not pay a deductible for a brand new phone using my carriers insurance. Any word on iPhone 6 front glass repair?

Yes, the word is "take to Apple Store"

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I see people using GoPros to take a picture of themselves on a stick. Is there something like this for an iPhone? Now that iOS 8 has a built in timer, I'm thinking something like that would be cool. Also, what is the "correct" term for it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys seem like the kind of dudes that would make friends pay for a beer out of your fridge.

You don't "make" them pay for it, but if they want to get the fridge door open then they are gong to have to put a dollar in the bill slot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I see people using GoPros to take a picture of themselves on a stick. Is there something like this for an iPhone? Now that iOS 8 has a built in timer, I'm thinking something like that would be cool. Also, what is the "correct" term for it?

"Selfie sticks"

https://www.google.com/search?q=sel..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

obi_ant posted:

Also, what is the "correct" term for it?

Camera boom.

or call it this if you hate yourself

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, braking your friends 700$ phone is totally the same as drinking a beer from their fridge.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
If another person (friend, foe, or stranger) accidentally broke my phone I'd expect and appreciate an offer to pay for it, but I'd probably turn them down and just take the loss. I guess part of owning nice things is owning that risk (or mitigating it with insurance, cases, etc.).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're going caseless you should probably be prepared for your phone's life to abruptly end on the concrete. It happens. Once to me in 3 years because I put my phone in a hoodie pocket while running down a hill. It just flew right out of the pocket. The crack didn't actually harm the viewing area of the screen much, which was lucky.

the Apple Store will replace your phone for like $300 at the worst, right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, basically if you're going to be careless with a somewhat delicate piece of electronic equipment then anything that happens is your own fault. Handing it to others without a case included. Protect yourself from accidents (whether your fault or others) or take responsibility for the fact that you didn't.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, basically if you're going to be careless with a somewhat delicate piece of electronic equipment then anything that happens is your own fault. Handing it to others without a case included. Protect yourself from accidents (whether your fault or others) or take responsibility for the fact that you didn't.

That's not how the law works at all, lmao. If some moron drops your phone it's their fault.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
You stupid nerds are really trying to come up with an algorithm for social situations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I set up a network diagram using Kakutani fixed point theorem to determine culpability when my dumbass friend breaks my poo poo lmao