Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's the lowest possible interest (3.4 right now) you can borrow money at short of a car loan with perfect credit (afaik), and you don't accrue interest on the loan until you're out of school. I don't see any reason why not to, unless you have a way to get the money for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tautologicus posted:

It's the lowest possible interest (3.4 right now) you can borrow money at short of a car loan with perfect credit (afaik), and you don't accrue interest on the loan until you're out of school. I don't see any reason why not to, unless you have a way to get the money for free.

A barrier to payment such as a film school degree or a BA in gender studies.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What's the best program to transition military education into actual college credits that a real college will accept?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nacho Destroyer posted:

What's the best program to transition military education into actual college credits that a real college will accept?

Eh...

For the most part, no respectable school is going to accept more than a handful of credits at best. There's some exceptions, like if you were a medic going for an EMT program or something, but realistically no matter what you can expect anywhere from 0-15 credits accepted anywhere.

Be very, very cautious of anything that says they accept a shitload of military training.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nacho Destroyer posted:

Just get your JST / SMART transcript https://jst.doded.mil/smart/signIn.do

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Vasudus posted:

Eh...

For the most part, no respectable school is going to accept more than a handful of credits at best. There's some exceptions, like if you were a medic going for an EMT program or something, but realistically no matter what you can expect anywhere from 0-15 credits accepted anywhere.

Be very, very cautious of anything that says they accept a shitload of military training.

Actually, I am a medic. I've been taking classes with UMUC and hoping when I get out I can find a decent school that will accept transfer credits from them. Does anyone know if colleges like UMUC and CTC are pretty good about being accepted by state schools? Does having an associates make it easier to transfer to a state school when youre going for a bachelors?

edit: Right now my "Degree Plan" is in general studies, not sure if that matters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hard to say. Some guys here had lots of credit taken and others (me, for example) had maybe enough taken plus some given for mil experience to be 2/3 done with freshman year.

I don't believe any college will tell you what they'll take until they admit you.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
CTC sucks. Stay away from it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Isn't UMUC a legit school with a fake-sounding name?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

It's like semi-legit. Probably slightly more legit than Phoenix, but less legit than UofM. Strangely enough UPenn can't tell the difference and literally every registration session tells me I can't register for classes because they just realized I never turned in a transcript from UM-College Park, and I have to send them an e-mail explaining that I never went there. I took one math class because my chief wanted me to take classes. Never should have done it, I mean, they accepted the classes, but at this point it would have been easier to take the class again than all the loving around that one class has cost me.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

Any school with a 100% acceptance rate is not fully legit.

It also doesn't have either of the 'good' business accreditations. Their job placement rate is not so great.

On the legit scale:
ITT----Strayer----Pheonix---------------------------UMUC---Drexel Online/Penn State Online------------------------Distance education offered by legit school with no difference in requirements between online/physical campus

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
American Military University. Oh man that's another fantastic scam college.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
UMUC is kind of like "yeah we'll take that class as a pre-req, but your BA better not be from there or lol"

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

What about Trident? A coworker is getting his Masters there.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why get any online degree at all? Time constraints? Can't leave your house? I don't get it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Tautologicus posted:

Why get any online degree at all? Time constraints? Can't leave your house? I don't get it.

Convenience.

In-person classes in giant lecture halls are very impersonal anyways. Might as well do it in your underwear and submit questions via e-mail.

edit: Also if you're active duty obviously nobody's going to let you go to class once or twice a week.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Victor Vermis posted:

Convenience.

In-person classes in giant lecture halls are very impersonal anyways. Might as well do it in your underwear and submit questions via e-mail.

edit: Also if you're active duty obviously nobody's going to let you go to class once or twice a week.

That's extremely common in the USAF.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Victor Vermis posted:

OK this I can understand, but it seems like an online degree is only good for those checkbox requirements, where a degree is required but they don't care where it's from as long as it's accredited (ex: federal jobs). I don't see any employer or even any random person looking on it favorably. And to use an online degree to get into a good master's program? I don't see it happening. But maybe I don't know what is possible these days and I am only running off stereotypes anyway. I don't know anyone who has one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some reputable colleges hand out the same exact diploma for degrees earned completely online.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I'm AD army in Korea so taking in-person classes is a bit hard for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Some reputable colleges hand out the same exact diploma for degrees earned completely online.

You can go from kindergarten to a master's degree with Texas Tech's distance learning stuff. When I worked in that department over a decade ago it was largely via correspondence but was shifting more and more to online.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BULLETKISS posted:

What about Trident? A coworker is getting his Masters there.

Trident is one of the lovely ones. It was often used as an example of how to check the "masters degree" box to make O-4 without doing any work.

Tautologicus posted:

Well, I was in Qatar.

holocaust bloopers posted:

This takes research, but yes.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nacho Destroyer posted:

I'm AD army in Korea so taking in-person classes is a bit hard for me.

Are they still spouting that Warrior U thing? Because if they are, don't loving believe it. Yeah, the CG said you get Thursday afternoon off every week to go to school, even if you're in the field! translates to LOL gently caress your college, human being, we got a week of cold weather training.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

not caring here posted:

Are they still spouting that Warrior U thing? Because if they are, don't loving believe it. Yeah, the CG said you get Thursday afternoon off every week to go to school, even if you're in the field! translates to LOL gently caress your college, human being, we got a week of cold weather training.

Camp Casey was actually pretty good about this. But I was so disgruntled that I would usually just go to sleep.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Exactly how much an online degree matters depends a lot on your individual circumstances. There's no hard and fast rules about it.

Are you entering a field that requires actual precision knowledge and hands on experience? You better loving go to a real, brick and mortar school. Employers are going to ask about projects, team building, etc.

Do you already have a skillset, that you're planning to continue to use, and just want the checkbox? Go wherever, so long as it's legit. This really doesn't apply to as many people as you would think, because you had better love your job and don't want to go to a field where a specific education is absolutely necessary.

The private sector cares way more about where you got your degree than the public sector, too. When I was doing interviews for two different consulting companies a few months ago the next question after my level of education was to ask if it was an online school. Then they asked where it actually was from. All the gov jobs (which were all labeled as "Professional" and "Scientific" and were GS9/11/12 jobs) that I was looking in to didn't even ask about it other than confirmation about my highest completed level of education.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
UMUC isn't the greatest school on earth, but I know folks who have used BS degrees from them to move into Master's programs at John's Hopkins (Computer Science) and Duke (MBA program). Of course, the other stuff like GRE scores, their GPA etc were also a factor in getting accepted to those programs.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Quick question. I am receiving 100% post 9/11. I am going to school full time but my degree program is mostly online and the school has a weird class structure.

Basically I am sitting in physical class room for 1 month and then online for 3. I was told previously that if I go to school full time with at least one class in person, I'd get 100% of my housing payment. However, a guy in class just told me that i'll get 100% this month and the online rate the other three. Is this true?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You probably need to talk to your schools certifying official / veterans dept. Are all the classes listed as being online distance learning courses?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You probably need to talk to your schools certifying official / veterans dept. Are all the classes listed as being online distance learning courses?

3/4 are

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think as long as one is you get the full rate. A friend of mine had all online courses one semester and they dinged him down to 1/3 or so. When he added an inperson class it went back up. Well that's what they told him he had to do.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My school requires just one class to be physical and the rest can be online for full-time BAH.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Yeah thats what I was always told but I guess the difference is you are taking 4 classes at once with one in person and 3 online but I'm taking 4 classes a semester, but one full time a month (for a full 4 month semester) and 3 of the 4 months I am online only.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sounds like it should count as a semester...

Vas?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

omnibobb posted:

Yeah thats what I was always told but I guess the difference is you are taking 4 classes at once with one in person and 3 online but I'm taking 4 classes a semester, but one full time a month (for a full 4 month semester) and 3 of the 4 months I am online only.

Did you already E-mail the Veteran finance person (certifying official?) at your campus? What did they say?

I had an edge case during a Winterim term where in-person attendance was basically voluntary and it wasn't until they got in touch with the course's instructor that they were able to tell me whether or not it would count as an entirely-online course. She seemed really thorough, though- which I appreciated. gently caress surprises come BAH time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends on how you are certified. If you are certified 3 in person 9 remote for the semester, you get paid the full amount for the duration.

Is this a hybrid class? I've had a few that meet once or twice a month in person but the rest is online. One of them met the first two classes in person, then once for the midterm, then once for the final. Hybrid classes in all cases counted as in-person for certification purposes.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I saw this in my inbox today.

quote:

Colleagues and Fellow Veterans,

We need your help getting the word out to eligible spouses of fallen Servicemembers. This may be a bit longer than most notes, but we want to make sure you have as much information as we have.

The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”) was recently signed into law. Most of the Act pertains to Veterans health care but it also included two provisions affecting GI Bill® benefits. This note pertains to the Fry Scholarship; my next note will talk about in-state tuition.

The Fry Scholarship was created to honor Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry, 28, of Lorena, Texas. Sergeant Fry had one week left in his tour in Iraq in 2006, when he volunteered to continue working for seven more hours disarming explosive devices, despite having already sustained an injury to his hand. He made the ultimate sacrifice on March 8, 2006, in Anbar province, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device detonated. He left behind a widow and three children. I recently had the honor of meeting Malia Fry at a Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivor (TAPS) event. We have created Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Agreements with both TAPS and the Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation with the sole purpose to encourage cooperation and collaboration between VA and both of these important organizations, to promote the Fry Scholarships to eligible individuals.

Section 701 of the Choice Act expands the Fry Scholarship to include the surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Prior to this law, only children of those who died in the line of duty were eligible for this benefit. We have had the honor to have served 1,279 children under the Fry Scholarship in FY 2013 and we look forward to now honoring the surviving spouses.

The law states eligible spouses are entitled to receive:
• 36 months of full benefits, equal to 100% level of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, this includes tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies.
• Training must start on or after January 1, 2015. Training prior to January 1, 2015, is not eligible to receive benefits under Section 701.
• A spouse has 15 years from the date of the Service Member’s death to utilize benefits. If a spouse remarries, benefits end the date of the remarriage.
Some spouses currently eligible for, or already receiving, benefits under the Survivors’ and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program may now be eligible for the Fry Scholarship. DEA is an educational program offering up to 45 months of education benefits to eligible dependents of Veterans who died while on active duty, as well as dependents of Veterans who died as a result of a service-connected condition or are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition. Surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, will have to make a one-time irrevocable election to receive either the Fry Scholarship or DEA.

We expect to begin accepting Fry Scholarship applications by mail from spouses starting Monday, November 3, 2014.

If you know of a surviving spouse please pass this on. As well, please get this information out to your networks so we can ensure everyone who may be eligible is aware. We are also sending individual letters to all surviving spouses.

To learn more about this important new benefit, please review our Fact Sheet at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/handouts_forms.asp. To either apply or make an election, one can complete and send an application (Form VA-Form 22-5490). You can download the form at http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5490-ARE.pdf and send a copy via the GI Bill website (http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill) using the “Ask a Question” button. You may also mail the completed form to your nearest Regional Processing Office, or request a paper application by calling 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551).

V/R – and Thank You,

Curtis L. Coy
Deputy Under Secretary for Economic Opportunity
Veterans Benefits Administration
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

VA Core Values: Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect, Excellence (“I CARE”)

Please Remember:
• If you would like to review prior messages sent through this listserv, click http://benefits.va.gov/vow/economic_opportunity.htm.
• If you would like to research, find, access, and, in time, manage your VA benefits and personal information please visit and/or register at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal.
• If you looking for a job or an employer committed to hiring Veterans, please register on the Veterans Employment Center (VEC) at: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/jobs
• If you are seeking employment in the federal government, particularly the VA, our VA for Vets high-tech tools and resources can help. Visit online at https://vaforvets.va.gov/Pages/default.aspx or call 1-855-824-8387.
If you would like to contact us about your VA education benefits:
You can send us a secure email that will usually be answered within 48 hours. You can also search for answers to frequently asked questions and register to be notified of any updates to the information. This contact method is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can also be utilized worldwide. Click here to enter the "Ask A Question" site or here to review our frequently asked questions.
You can call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). This line only accepts calls from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM central time Monday – Friday.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How does the Navy college fund/kicker work? It's the only thing I got when I enlisted. I think it was $500 every 2 weeks or a month? They just pay you that outright? I submitted a request to view my OMPF so I can get my original contract with that on it before I switch my GI bill to post 9-11 since you have the option to upload that during the application process. I have my original contract somewhere around here but gently caress if I know where it is.

Otherwise you'd just send your contract with the bonus to the VA education office?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Christoff posted:

How does the Navy college fund/kicker work? It's the only thing I got when I enlisted. I think it was $500 every 2 weeks or a month? They just pay you that outright? I submitted a request to view my OMPF so I can get my original contract with that on it before I switch my GI bill to post 9-11 since you have the option to upload that during the application process. I have my original contract somewhere around here but gently caress if I know where it is.

Otherwise you'd just send your contract with the bonus to the VA education office?

It's x amount added on to your check at the end of the month, lumped in with your regular payment. Exactly how much depends on financial sorcery based off your kicker amount (50/60/70k) and your BAH amount. I have no idea what the actual math is, if they've ever published it. From experience, the lower your base BAH, the higher your kicker.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Nacho Destroyer posted:

Abandoning all hope

Places that accept unaccredited "life experience credits" tend to be less than reputable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Let's say I complete a degree using tuition assistance while on Active Duty, leave the army, and get a job immediately in that field.

Can I collect BAH for 4 years taking bullshit classes with no intention at all to complete a degree in order to supplement my income?

• Locked thread