Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

netcat posted:

Looks like MTGOTraders have 26 in stock

I've been checking all their bots for like half an hour, I can't find one that actually has any Stratus Walks. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been checking all their bots for like half an hour, I can't find one that actually has any Stratus Walks. It's bizarre.

You could try placing an order from their website and saying "I'll pay with tix", instead of trying to find a bot that currently has the card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You can inquisition of kozilek split cards so long as one half is 3 or less, correct? That's how we played it but I want to confirm.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That's correct, it has both the CMC's (and other properties) of each half, so as long as one part of the split card meets the requirements it is a valid choice for Inquisition.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

Assuming Modern Masters isn't allowed:

I think Future-Sight is a must-attempt because it has one of the most busted limited cards ever at commo.

Curious, what card? I never played Future Sight.

edit: nevermind, Sprout Swarm duh

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 18, 2014

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you still need them I have literally 29 of them I can give you a playset, name on MTGO is whateverfor.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I am NOT looking forward to a metagame full of Jeskai, as shown on stream.

Hopefully some Jeskai beating deck shows up today.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Resolute Archangel to take Jeskai Control from 5 to 20. Still probably going to lose.

Edit: Control rips Elspeth and casts another Resolute Archangel :cripes:

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 18, 2014

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I am NOT looking forward to a metagame full of Jeskai, as shown on stream.

Hopefully some Jeskai beating deck shows up today.

Doesn't Abzan Midrange have Jeskai's lunch?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sotar posted:

Doesn't Abzan Midrange have Jeskai's lunch?

After sideboard, not exactly. Main decks of Jeskai are cutting magma jet and including things against Azban as well. My matches have been coin flips against good azban decks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Ascendancy Combo keeps a 1-lander, plays 1 land and 0 spells before losing Game 2 and the match.

I wanted to see it go off :argh:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Trip Report- Went 3-1 with ascendancy combo :getin: got 6th and utter end and a couple of heir of the wilds for my troubles, my group went 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th respectively so we pretty much crushed the gameday together.

Match 1- Against friend's Mardu Control 0-2 (Who later went 3rd)

A bad start. I knew from the get-go this is the deck to beat if I wanted that playmat, but I didn't expect to play him first. I knew he ran 4 thoughtseize, 3 anger of the gods and 2 despise mainboard so I was royally screwed if I didn't combo off quickly.

Game 1- Kept a strong hand, but my friend kept a stronger one, ripped a caryatid and commune with the gods from my hand with despise and then thoughtseize, then topdecked another caryatid which got angered. He stabilized with an ashcloud phoenix and wrecked my face.

I drew 2 mana confluence and all painlands that game- I did 12 damage to myself. This was not a good advertisement for that card.

Game 2- I sided in 4 swan songs and took out 4 rattleclaws since I knew he had chandras maindeck, the game took a lot longer, with me retraction helixing his sarkhan and generally stalling for the combo. In the end I had all of my combo in hand but couldn't get a mana dork to stick for a turn, hero's downfall followed by lightning strike, then anger of the gods, then crackling doom, all killing my dorks. In the end I nearly milled my entire deck searching for that answer but ended up getting killed by a bird token from a swan song counter.

Match 2- Against Abzan Aggro 2-0

Game 1- He played 2 Deathdealers and attacked me a couple of times, I don't remember his plays too much. I combo'd off turn 5 but milled my altar, had to use my mana to play a kiora's follower, twinflame it and then briber's purse all of his guys and swing in for lethal.

Game 2- Went off Turn 3, actually felt dirty.

Match 3- Against Mardu Aggro 2-0

Game 1- She played several bloodsoaked champions and started getting me reasonably low, but I played 3 rattleclaw mystics in one turn, then just kept drawing jeskai ascendancy. In the end I had 3 8/7s staring down at her and it ended reasonably quickly.

Game 2- I drew 3 mana confluences in my opening hand and she curved out into bloodsoaked champion into the 3/2 with raid and brimaz versus my caryatid. Ended up combo-ing out with 1 life left trying my best not to kill myself with confluence, I was extremely lucky to find the retraction helix in time.

Match 4- Against Abzan Midrange 2-1

Game 1- Got Siege Rhino'd, caryatid into rhino into rhino wrecked my poo poo, played 2 communes and one dig, didn't find one ascendancy, tilted.

Game 2- My luck turned around when he did something extremely similar and I was experiencing major deja-vu, then topdecked ascendancy, dragon mantled with 2 dorks on the field and found the retraction helix and purse, turn 3 kill again. I was a total lucky bastard that game.

Game 3- I sideboarded into the aggro part of the deck and knucklebladed him to death, it did quite well against seige rhinos and 4 mana removal spells. He got a bit mana screwed but in the end nissa and her 4/4 broelementals smashed through his wall of 3/3 fleecemanes quite handily.

Verdict: Felt dirty playing Ascendancy combo, I turn 3 combo'd (or killed them) 2 times today and several wins turn 5 or 6. Lost to a control deck with 6 hand disruption spells, so I don't mind that. I don't like the deck, it's not interactive magic and it definitely made a lot of my opponents tilted, its a good trolling deck that's for sure.

Also managed to trade into a foil wooded foothills, another windswept heath and 3rd serum visions for my modern deck (guy had a foil one too :negative: so beautiful)

Samael fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Regarding Lee Shi Tian's "Umbrella Revolution" deck, the difficult part of it for me is I don't really remember WotC being consistent one way or the other about fanciful deck names. Have they always deferred to what the player names the deck or only when they're at least somewhat descriptive of what's inside? Basically I'm trying to figure out how much plausible deniability there is vs. "WotC just caved."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And another lands-in-fronter losses again~

Good. Long live Temur.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

And another lands-in-fronter losses again~

Good. Long live Temur.

The blue cards in it really did make that Temur deck tick.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Regarding Lee Shi Tian's "Umbrella Revolution" deck, the difficult part of it for me is I don't really remember WotC being consistent one way or the other about fanciful deck names. Have they always deferred to what the player names the deck or only when they're at least somewhat descriptive of what's inside? Basically I'm trying to figure out how much plausible deniability there is vs. "WotC just caved."

I think the answer is they used to go along with whatever name but recently they've been more controlling because the deck names represent the brand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They have been leaning more and more towards descriptive names, especially now that they are trying to push the new wedge names. That does't really matter there, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wizards not using a potentially controversial name. It would have been a good thing for them to choose to do, but it is not a bad thing that they did not.

Would you expect them to use a name that were outright offense? How is this any different? Supporting the revolution is no doubt offensive to some and its unreasonable to expect them to do anything other than remain unbias.
Imagine if a player had named their deck "gay pride", think of the backlash wizards would get if they used that name in any official content.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 18, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I can't name my Immortal Servitude Boros brew "Millions of Dead Cops," Magic is loving dead.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

that leylines deck looks hilarious.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's no correct time to link this so here's my favorite deck I've ever seen on an SCG stream:

http://blip.tv/scglive/scgdc-std-rnd3-steven-axtell-vs-carl-endres-5909750

Some loving weirdo BUG deck from Innistrad standard that just has filthy value everywhere. It's hilarious.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Everyone should go back to just naming decks after cereal.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's no correct time to link this so here's my favorite deck I've ever seen on an SCG stream:

http://blip.tv/scglive/scgdc-std-rnd3-steven-axtell-vs-carl-endres-5909750

Some loving weirdo BUG deck from Innistrad standard that just has filthy value everywhere. It's hilarious.

Scars/Innistrad standard loving owned

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

AgentSythe posted:

Scars/Innistrad standard loving owned
If you banned Delver of Secrets and Ponder, then yes it did.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I'm confused why people think it's hard to win with cornucopia. It + mana dork + ascendancy + helix is game. You loot until you find alter, play it which untaps your dude, replay cornucopia and then mill them out.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think its the idea that the win requires an additional card slot, and that you may have to draw your entire deck to find it. Bribers purse uses less slots and is a shorter win condition. I could see purse being a whole lot better on MODO with the clock to consider.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Got annihilated 1-3 at game day, the one win was thanks to someone who'd dropped. Was playing sultai delve with coursers, caryatids, sidisis, necropolis fiends and empty the pits. Never got to cast empty the pits once, honestly not even sure it's worth playing to be honest.

Will probably tinker with the deck more, the one win I did get in my 1-2 game was all down to the single whip of erebos I sideboarded in so will probably start with a couple of those. Determined to make a decent sultai deck though.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hundred Handed One out of b/w midrange induces the scoop from mono red.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Hundred Handed One out of b/w midrange induces the scoop from mono red.

Still punched through by turn four the next game anyway.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

U/B won an open today, it looks like?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=74737

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mislabeled. That tournament is currently in round 5 of 10. It's listed because it was Deck Tech'd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwo6oA2R47I

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Ahh, okay. Looks neat none the less.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Everyone should go back to just naming decks after cereal.

Or just breakfast foods in general. I was hoping to come back into Magic after Journey Into Nix came out and see the best decks called "Toaster Strudels" or "Biscuits and Gravy."

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Or just breakfast foods in general. I was hoping to come back into Magic after Journey Into Nix came out and see the best decks called "Toaster Strudels" or "Biscuits and Gravy."
Sorry man, no fun allowed anymore.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This looks like it folds brilliantly to End Hostilities

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Wadjamaloo posted:

Imagine if a player had named their deck "gay pride", think of the backlash wizards would get if they used that name in any official content.

Gay Pride featuring 4x Rakish Heir would seem appropriate.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Bonus points if said deck is 5 color control. :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wadjamaloo posted:

Actually companies are now using that to look cool and progressive. I think it was last Xmas that had "controversial" gay dads ads. But ya 5 color and its golden.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chill la Chill posted:

Actually companies are now using that to look cool and progressive. I think it was last Xmas that had "controversial" gay dads ads. But ya 5 color and its golden.

5 color with Ajani, call it Pride Parade and nobody can even act offended.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Monoblack trip report on my first Games Day! Went 3-2 with wins against Jeskai and mono green, and lost to GR monsters and a spammy R/W heroic tokens deck. Had a fun time, did my trades and put away my stuff, then found out I'd somehow made top 8 (though only 18 people were playing total). After 10 minutes wait, it was suddenly time.

Lost a game to another R/W heroic tokens guy,a then proceeded to roll over him with Bloodsoaked Champion spam and Mogis' Marauder twice to advance to the semifinals. The semifinals I ended up losing in game 3 annoyingly, as I miscalculated my needed blockers to not die before I killed him. The annoying part is this was due to the guy's deckbox mostly obscuring a Courser of Kruphix-revealed Sarkhan on top of his deck, so I completely forgot that the card was there to be looked at (really a mistake on my part but I had no idea what the rules is on stuff like that so I just let it go).

Either way, got my promo green dude I'll never use and foil promo Utter End! One saving grace as I found out after from my closer friends was that the guy I beat in the quarter finals had gone 5-0 over the day with no losses, and had apparently got 1st in every FNM in the past 5 months, so was pretty happy with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Went 2-1 at Gameday for 2nd place playing Mono Black Aggro. Got burned out by Jeskai Tokens in round 1 but took the following 2 in 2 each against Temur Monsters and Gb Devotion.

In game 2 against devotion my opponent gained 40 life off of 3 back-to-back Disciples and I still powered through, thanks to taking all his threats via Thoughtseize and Skullhunter.

• Locked thread