Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

rockcity posted:

My mom has a set of Gingher that she only uses for sewing and she's been using them for probably 30 years. They are sharp as hell.

Having accidentally cut myself at least once with the Gingher I gifted my mom 10 years ago, I can attest to this.

Two more amazing brands are Shozaburo and Kai. Shozaburo are what the suit maker I go to uses, he has been using the same pair for at least 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sorry I didn't make it perfectly clear, but I thought it was obvious since I'm posting here and not just buying a pair of lovely Fiskars at the fabric store - I'm past the weekend crafting level of things. I'm a part time tailor and this is a career investment. Shozaburos look amazing! Great ergonomics.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

Sorry I didn't make it perfectly clear, but I thought it was obvious since I'm posting here and not just buying a pair of lovely Fiskars at the fabric store - I'm past the weekend crafting level of things. I'm a part time tailor and this is a career investment. Shozaburos look amazing! Great ergonomics.

Ginghers are 100% not "lovely Fiskars" they are made for and used by pros, and a decent set of Ginghers will run you the same as a single Shozaburo.

I mean Shozaburos are katana steel motherfuckers (shirogami #1 iirc) but do you really need them for a starter over say a 12" Gingher?

In other news, I thought this toolset from the opening of "Chef" was pretty :black101:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

In case any knife newbies are interested, Woot is having a sellout deal today for an 8" Victorinox chef knife, a paring knife, and a honing steel all for only $30. This is an awesome deal so if you're not well-equipped, jump on it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Well, that would have saved me a bit of money, having just purchased that stuff last week.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fart simpson posted:

Well, that would have saved me a bit of money, having just purchased that stuff last week.

Owned.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:drat:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I just received an Apex Edge Pro clone off Amazon, and first impressions: It's probably the best 30$ you can spend as far as entry level sharpening goes. None of my good knifes need sharpening, but I did test it on a few oldies I have laying around and I can cut a (roma)tomato to ribbons with a lovely 6$ santoku I bought 6 years ago, and I have shaky hands.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2014

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Oh god, there so many sexy knives in this thread.

1. What are my options for a Japanese chef knife that is 8", stainless steel, D or octagon handle, with an etched or hammered finish and that is under $200 and is not a Shun? I looked at the JCK site too and all the ones I liked are sold out :(

2. Why is that Chinese cleaver getting so much love compared to the nakiri? Aren't they basically the same knife? It looks so big and unwieldy. If you have a Chinese cleaver why do you like it so much specifically?

3. Also I'm worried about carbon knives cuz they look so gross with that patina/rust. Someone tell me there are no health risks for using that steel to cut food with.

Thank you kind goons!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Present posted:

2. Why is that Chinese cleaver getting so much love compared to the nakiri? Aren't they basically the same knife? It looks so big and unwieldy. If you have a Chinese cleaver why do you like it so much specifically?
Nakiris are usually thinner, edge to spine, than Chinese cleavers. That extra real estate is good for positioning the blade with your knuckles (you can make bigger gestures and cut thicker stuff without losing contact). And the side of a cleaver is approximately the most convenient way to transport a bunch of poo poo you just chopped to the pan.

And a good cleaver is big but not unwieldy. A bone chopper is going to have a beefy blade, but a Chinese cleaver designed for veg prep is thinner than most Western-pattern kitchen knives; a CCK #1 small slicer weighs less than an 8" Henckels Five Star chef's knife.

Present posted:

3. Also I'm worried about carbon knives cuz they look so gross with that patina/rust. Someone tell me there are no health risks for using that steel to cut food with.
Assuming you subscribe to the germ theory of disease, there's no health risk associated with using carbon steel in food prep, even discoloured carbon steel.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Present posted:

Don't let your knives rust, problem solved (you superstitious weirdo).

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
This thread convinced me to get a Chinese cleaver. So I went to pacmall here in Toronto because they have a CCK store. My line of thinking was I'd save some money over getting the $60 cleaver shipped in from that website.

Nope! Stainless steel with wooden handle was $68, with steel handle $70 something. So I got a $15 stainless steel Shibazi cleaver from another mall Chinese cooking supplies store instead. It may not be as wide as the CCK, but for less than a quarter of the price I'll deal.

Thanks thread!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Soiled Meat
How hard would it be to recolor the handle of a CCK to be black

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The CCK small cleaver has been $60 at CKTG for a long time now. All the comments indicate that they used to be $30. Doubling is a pretty big jump and turns it from an impulse buy into something I start thinking about whether I actually need. Is there another reputable store selling them for less, or is that just what they cost now?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

guppy posted:

The CCK small cleaver has been $60 at CKTG for a long time now. All the comments indicate that they used to be $30. Doubling is a pretty big jump and turns it from an impulse buy into something I start thinking about whether I actually need. Is there another reputable store selling them for less, or is that just what they cost now?

They just jumped up from 45 within the last year actually. That's just what they cost now. Dexter-Russell makes a really good one for around 35 that's stainless steel. Had one like 5 years ago. I remember it being a bit heavier with a slightly wider spine but still pretty great and more widely available. Most kitchen supply stores that serve restaurants will carry one.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 4, 2014

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Steve Yun posted:

How hard would it be to recolor the handle of a CCK to be black

It's wood, right? Use any fabric dye that is designed to work on cotton, it binds happily with cellulose and won't stick to the metal and will never wash off or get on food. RIT makes a liquid dye that I highly recommend for newbies and you can get it at most supermarkets. Strip the wood of any finish, soak the handle overnight in the dye (you can dilute it a great deal and just use a splash of dye in a cup of water with some salt). In the morning, bake it in the oven for a couple hours at low heat, like maybe 200 degrees. I'm not joking, it needs heat to set permanently to the cellulose. With fabric dyeing you just iron it or toss it in the dryer, but you probably don't want to do that with your nice knife. After it cools, rinse it to get any excess off, oil, and re-finish to seal.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
I just got a Tojiro DP and I'm looking for a decent honing rod to go with it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much to pick from in Sweden unless I want to spend €70 on a rod. Is this 1200 grit for €30 a good one or should I go for a more expensive one with a finer grit?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What the gently caress is this, I just saw that the cutcos are recommended on http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Knife_Guide

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

What the gently caress is this, I just saw that the cutcos are recommended on http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Knife_Guide

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

I've always heard that they are pretty good knives but overpriced. No experience with them though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hobohemian posted:

I just received an Apex Edge Pro clone off Amazon, and first impressions: It's probably the best 30$ you can spend as far as entry level sharpening goes. None of my good knifes need sharpening, but I did test it on a few oldies I have laying around and I can cut a (roma)tomato to ribbons with a lovely 6$ santoku I bought 6 years ago, and I have shaky hands.

What one did you get? I keep on wondering about edgepro clones, but not wanting to pay $30 for complete crap.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

mindphlux posted:

What one did you get? I keep on wondering about edgepro clones, but not wanting to pay $30 for complete crap.

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...ywords=edge+pro

Functionally the system itself works great once you get a good seal on the base. The stones are a bit iffy. One was a bit off center but it sill worked fine. I think if you replaced the stones with the real deal it would almost be indistinguishable. It's super easy to use, especially for someone like me with essential tremor in both hands that makes holding a perfect angle on a regular stone almost impossible. I have a bunch of cheap knifes I've picked up from asian markets over the years and after sharpening them they all preform significantly better. Worth the 30$ for that alone.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Will a ceramic honing rod work for both Japanese knives and softer German knives? I'm looking at this one:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeningrod.html

I'd also like to get a nice new knife, and I mostly chop or mince small vegetables and garlic. Should I be looking for a full size chef's knife or is there other style that would suit this task?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It'll work, it'll probably take some metal off versus just honing the edge though (will do that for some Japanese knives too). You'll find yourself using it often on a softer knife because the edge blunts faster so overall lifespan of the knife might decrease but it's not really a big deal imo.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Okay so I wouldn't want to hone the knives every time I use them then? Sometimes I hear that and I'm not sure what's the proper way to hone knives.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ordinarily hone them whenever you think they aren't as sharp as they should be. That usually ends up being every time you use them. Sometimes I hone my german steel 2-3 times at work (with a regular steel, I have a ceramic rod I use on it sometimes to sharpen it a little).

It works for both Japanese and German knives but where the ceramic rod is just realigning the edge on a hard steel, it is actually shaving off the metal into an edge on a soft steel. It's more like using a sharpening stone every time instead of just honing the edge.

It will work in terms of keeping the knife sharp and if you're just doing it every time you use it I don't think it will be a big deal. I would probably go with a regular steel for a German knife if you're going to use it heavily though.

You won't need very many passes with a ceramic rod, so there's that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 16, 2014

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm getting really into cooking (after 7 years in a restaurant it's about time) and I'm going to ask my girlfriend for a knife for Christmas. I'm looking for a 8" Japanese chef's knife with a wooden handle. What do you guys use or what would you recommend?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Budget? Lefty vs Righty? Carbon or stainless? Professional or home kitchen? [Edit:]Also, do you know how to sharpen? What's your typical cutting motion like?

Re: ceramic honing rods, the amount of metal shaved off is pretty negligible. I wouldn't worry about it affecting the knife's lifespan.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 16, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thoht posted:

Re: ceramic honing rods, the amount of metal shaved off is pretty negligible. I wouldn't worry about it affecting the knife's lifespan.

yeah it's not a big deal just some thing to be aware off

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Does the length of a honing rod matter? I bought a set of Victorinox chef's knives (6, 8 & 10") - a few months ago that I hadn't taken proper care of (didn't dry immediately, sometimes leave it unwashed in the sink) and I noticed that they don't slice as nicely as they used to. So I'd like to start taking better care of them and keep them honed from now on.

Would this one be okay, or do I need to get a longer one? Or are there any recommendations for a specific brand or model?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
8" seems fine to me

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Moridin920 posted:

8" seems fine to me

Size queen.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I wouldn't put a knife in there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My edge pro knockoff arrived today. Is there a recommended resource for learning how to use it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok I've sharpened a bunch of knives and while it's not always the simplest thing to deal with, it's relatively foolproof and holy hell are these babies sharp.

I need to try re profiling a shun next. I assume I will start with the gray stone.

Thanks for the rec! My wife described the paring knife I sharpened as "amazing."

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

ok I've sharpened a bunch of knives and while it's not always the simplest thing to deal with, it's relatively foolproof and holy hell are these babies sharp.

I need to try re profiling a shun next. I assume I will start with the gray stone.

Thanks for the rec! My wife described the paring knife I sharpened as "amazing."

Now hack your edge pro knockoff with the spring mod and the drill collar mod.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Now hack your edge pro knockoff with the spring mod and the drill collar mod.

The what and the what?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The what and the what?

Spring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocospfor.html
Collar: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

You don't really need to order those, but they have videos of the mods.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Spring: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocospfor.html
Collar: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html

You don't really need to order those, but they have videos of the mods.

Ha, the knockoff comes with the spring installed. But I'll look into the collar. Thanks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I ordered one of those edge pro knockoffs as well for shits and giggles. $35 or so, can't be that bad. Also have quite a few knives that need serious work, and I'm hoping it'll do the job. Should get it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

My edge pro knockoff arrived today. Is there a recommended resource for learning how to use it?

Which one did you order?

I kind of want one. And I say this as someone who has sharpening stones but has only satisfactorily really sharpened my knives like 1 out of 3 times I've tried to use it. I suck but do it so infrequently I have to look at my notes each time. I know Murray Carter doesn't like them but that dude has made like 5000 knives by himself :black101:

Hed fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread