Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So basically to Conservatives, war is one giant Hands on a Hardbody competition and they would rather see the US collapse and piss itself than leave Iraq.

Well, failures are always the liberals' fault, so yeah. All they care about is being right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Hannity just read a report from the Washington Examiner saying Obama is exploring options to bring the world's Ebola patients to America for treatment.

Edit: :lol: a crying lady just called in begging Sean not to go to Dallas because of Ebola this weekend. And then said something about a person in Washington DC has Ebola? Is the right wing so loving crazy they ignore known medical science?

Edit2: I'm dying here. A hospital hvac sub contractor just called in to talk about malfunctioning air vents causing the spread of Ebola.

Edit3: a veteran just said all the troops should refuse their orders under the grounds of the UCMJ. NOT MY _RESIDENT.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is the right wing so loving crazy they ignore known medical science?

Rand Paul has been running around telling people Ebola is super contagious and not to trust the CDC. So yes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Get hosed Crowder

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rand Paul has been running around telling people Ebola is super contagious and not to trust the CDC. So yes.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is the right wing so loving crazy they ignore known medical science?

I don't know about "crazy" but they seem to be winning...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dirk Pitt posted:

Hannity just read a report from the Washington Examiner saying Obama is exploring options to bring the world's Ebola patients to America for treatment.

Edit: :lol: a crying lady just called in begging Sean not to go to Dallas because of Ebola this weekend. And then said something about a person in Washington DC has Ebola? Is the right wing so loving crazy they ignore known medical science?

Edit2: I'm dying here. A hospital hvac sub contractor just called in to talk about malfunctioning air vents causing the spread of Ebola.

Edit3: a veteran just said all the troops should refuse their orders under the grounds of the UCMJ. NOT MY _RESIDENT.

They've been ignoring economic, climate, military and legal/criminal/social sciences for decades, why do you think they would stop at the medical?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Get hosed Crowder

HE'S JUST ASKING QUESTIONS GUYS

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Here is the article Sean was talking about where it discusses obama's plans to suspend the law and bring in Africans with Ebola.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/watchdog-obama-to-bring-non-american-ebola-victims-to-u.s.-for-treatment/article/2554956

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Get hosed Crowder

Steven Crowder; should he be drawn and quarters, or just fired into the sun? Talking LIVE now.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Get hosed Crowder

"Transgender kids; should we try and get them mental help (alongside sex change operations if needed), or call them little sissyfaggots and bitch about politically-correct liberals coddling their immoral lifestyle?"

Let's at least be honest about your party's platform, Crowder.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Generic American posted:

"Transgender kids; should we try and get them mental help (alongside sex change operations if needed), or call them little sissyfaggots and bitch about politically-correct liberals coddling their immoral lifestyle?"

Let's at least be honest about your party's platform, Crowder.

Does he have an actual audience and people who watch & support him? Or is he just a troll in the wilderness of YouTube and Twitter?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Generic American posted:

Let's at least be honest about your party's platform, Crowder

Irony of this all. Last week he wrote a big article about how conservatives are losing the youth vote. Nothing gets youth happy about the GOP than saying trans kids need mental help

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TIM: The most interesting man in politics.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 17, 2014

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ninjasaurus posted:

Does he have an actual audience and people who watch & support him? Or is he just a troll in the wilderness of YouTube and Twitter?

He is a regular on Dana Loesch show, writes for The Blaze, has his own radio show Friday 6 to 9 am, has his own podcast and publishes viral videos. He actually has a lot of fans

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Irony of this all. Last week he wrote a big article about how conservatives are losing the youth vote. Nothing gets youth happy about the GOP than saying trans kids need mental help

To be fair, trans kids do need help. Just not in the way that conservatives think.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

My goodness. The classical oil painting-like feel, the rolled up shirtsleeves, the heroic pose. You suck his dick while you were at it, Time?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

beatlegs posted:

My goodness. The classical oil painting-like feel, the rolled up shirtsleeves, the heroic pose. You suck his dick while you were at it, Time?

I've said this before but Time has been really loving awful lately. I've already noted how they literally regurgitated a Princeton freshman's article on the school newspaper about how he will never apologize for his white privilege, complete with spelling errors and all, but as early as the 2011 Wisconsin labour protests I was seeing stuff from Joe Klein about how unions had to go and poo poo like that.

v now that you mention it, I remember from a year and half ago when Time had "Marco Rubio: the GOP's savior?" on their cover.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 18, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The cover of time has the Madden-curse effect on GOP wonderboys.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Either that or the party where no one is ever pure enough and there's no middle ground between savior and target of death threats is incapable of sustaining love for anyone actually operating in reality. I.E. anyone but Palin.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

He is a regular on Dana Loesch show, writes for The Blaze, has his own radio show Friday 6 to 9 am, has his own podcast and publishes viral videos. He actually has a lot of fans

Fuckin' hell.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

Here is the article Sean was talking about where it discusses obama's plans to suspend the law and bring in Africans with Ebola.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/watchdog-obama-to-bring-non-american-ebola-victims-to-u.s.-for-treatment/article/2554956

It's really amazing. I wasn't expecting much from Fox News to begin with, but I never thought they'd go full Infowars so goddamn fast. We're at a grand total of three cases in the U.S. so far, two being HCWs that had direct contact with the patient who imported the virus from Liberia to begin with, and we're already well into "Blockade Africa" and "Obama is actively trying to kill us all" territory.

I swear to god if the case total cracks double-digits we're going to see the mainstream right-wing media go full blown prepper and openly encourage their viewers to hightail it to the woods with crates of freeze-dried food and ammunition.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's really amazing. I wasn't expecting much from Fox News to begin with, but I never thought they'd go full Infowars so goddamn fast. We're at a grand total of three cases in the U.S. so far, two being HCWs that had direct contact with the patient who imported the virus from Liberia to begin with, and we're already well into "Blockade Africa" and "Obama is actively trying to kill us all" territory.

I swear to god if the case total cracks double-digits we're going to see the mainstream right-wing media go full blown prepper and openly encourage their viewers to hightail it to the woods with crates of freeze-dried food and ammunition.

I'm Already seeing prepper talk on facebook. The cdc lied. This was deliberately mismanaged ... /rolleyes

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

McAlister posted:

I'm Already seeing prepper talk on facebook. The cdc lied. This was deliberately mismanaged ... /rolleyes

As if any of the preppers will have the spines to actually head on out. Nope, just gonna buy more supplies.

Which is great for the shills, more money for them and less chances of any of those idiot preppers getting themselves and their families killed being idiots in the woods in a highly sensationalized fashion.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I wouldn't mind these crazies running off to the woods, especially if it was just in time for them to miss the elections. Obama's greatest scheme yet?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A friend linked an article from The Hill, so I went to go check out the main page just to see if it was a RWM thing:

They should rename themselves to The Ebola.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The Ebola Examiner

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

beatlegs posted:

And I thought Newsweek was supposed to be the right-leaning weekly periodical. And even they (used to? I haven't subscribed for years) give Zakaria a column. What happened?

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's the worry? Should be no problem for The Best Health Care System In The World™. We can spread warlike imperialism with our superior armed forces so why not health imperialism with our superior medical care?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Hazo posted:

What's the worry? Should be no problem for The Best Health Care System In The World™. We can spread warlike imperialism with our superior armed forces so why not health imperialism with our superior medical care?

The United States has the best healthcare system in the world, but it crumbles to dust if poor/brown people are ever allowed to use it.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Yesterday, late afternoon, there's something that a lot of people, I think consider a bombshell, came out in The Daily Beast. Not to be confused with The Daily Caller. The Daily Caller is the website of Chatsworth Osborne Jr. The Daily Beast is a left-wing website.

And here's the headline: "Insiders Blame Rove for Covering Up Iraq’s Real WMD -- Starting in 2004, some members of the George W. Bush administration and Republican lawmakers began to find evidence of discarded chemical weapons in Iraq. But when the information was brought up with the White House, senior adviser Karl Rove told them to 'let these sleeping dogs lie.'

"The issue of Iraq’s WMD remnants was suddenly thrust back into the fore this week, with a blockbuster New York Times report accusing the Bush administration of covering up American troops’ chemically induced wounds. To people familiar with the issue, both inside that administration and outside, the blame for the coverup falls on one particular set of shoulders: Rove’s."

There are a lot of insiders dumping on Karl Rove here for covering up the news that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. They weren't discovered shortly after the invasion. It took a year or two. And Rove didn't want to look back. He didn't want to revive the story, so goes the story here. He just wanted to sweep it under the rug and continue to look forward.

Rove also has admitted -- let me tell you why this is important. Well, I mean obvious reasons why it's important. But I'll tell you what resonates about this to me, this business with ISIS and Obama being weak on terrorism. The reason we're involved with ISIS, the reason all this is happening is because Obama made tracks to get out of Iraq as quickly as he could after winning the election. And that was political, too. It was a political requirement based on the Obama campaign.

Now, you might recall that I've made a big deal in recent months in characterizing the way the Democrat Party literally drove their base insane with all of these treasonous allegations they essentially were making about the Iraq war. From the moment the Iraq war began in 2003, the Democrat Party, after a couple days of making it look like they were all for it because public support was, it didn't take long before the Democrat Party and the media began an ongoing, never-ending 24/7, 365 effort to discredit it, to discredit the effort, to discredit the war, to discredit the motivation.
Everybody knew about weapons of mass destruction. Everybody knew that was the reason for going in there. It doesn't matter when you find them, why not report it? What is the point of covering it up? What's the point of ignoring it? (imitating Rove) "Well, we want to let sleeping dogs lie. We've dealt with the fact that there weren't any, and that just opens up a can of worms that we don't need because we want to keep moving forward, move our agenda forward. We don't want to get tied up in these things that happened in the past."

But everything that happened was unnecessary, all of this criticism. I would venture to say that those five years of incessant, I mean, it was hate-filled pounding criticism, lies, as it turns out, about Bush, about the Bush administration, about the military, arguably gave us Obama. It arguably rendered the Republican Party practically impotent when it came to the 2008 election. Allowing those allegations to stand, the lies after lies after lies that they were, no question it shackled the Republican effort in 2008.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Now, I want to be clear about something. The weapons of mass destruction The Daily Beast is talking about is not the same weapons that both Republicans and Democrats and every intelligence service in the world claimed were being manufactured by Saddam, 1998-2003. These are not the WMD we're talking about. These were basically chemical weapons that are prior to 1991. It doesn't matter. They were found in 2004. They were discovered by US troops in 2004 and they show that Saddam was investing and manufacturing weapons of mass destruction.

They show that Saddam was in violation of all of those UN resolutions. He was in violation of the first Gulf War ceasefire. And Saddam's violation of the first Gulf War ceasefire, including shooting at our planes, was enough on its own to justify the 2003 invasion of Iraq. This is so horrible what's happened here. So the war for weapons of mass destruction commences in 2003, shortly after there aren't any, and the whole premise dies and the Bush administration gets creamed for five years and everybody knows it's not the case and nobody stands up and says, "Wait a minute, all these allegations are false."

They're just allowed to stand. The American people have no choice but than to believe this crap they're being told, when in fact Saddam Hussein was doing and had done pretty much everything he was being accused of that justified that invasion and justified getting rid of him.
But I look back on this, and those five years, from 2003 to 2008, the Iraq war and the lies, and I knew they were lies. Everything the Democrat Party was saying, I got so sick of it. I know you did, too. From Abu Ghraib on, I just got sick of the glee and the happiness that the Democrats and the media were showing and exhibiting every day as they reported lies about the US military. False allegations about Marines engaging in terrorism against Iraqi citizens. That the war was nothing but an attempt by Dick Cheney to secure oil for Halliburton.

All of these incessant, stupid, silly lies that people had no choice but than to believe because nobody was telling them they weren't true. And then, of course, the big one, weapons of mass destruction, the whole premise of the Iraq war.
See, the thinking was, okay, yeah, you've got sarin and mustard gas, but this is not the same weapons of mass destruction that we went to war for. And again, I want to stress that. The chemical weapons refuse that was found in 2004 was all prior to 1991, that's the first Gulf War. The evidence of weapons of mass destruction that Colin Powell demoed at the United Nations and all that, that stuff, some of that, I mean, minor evidence was found, but not massive stockpiles of it.

I'm sure Rove is saying, "That doesn't help us. This stuff from 1991, that doesn't help us. We went to war. We lost that battle. We've lost that fight. Let's let sleeping dogs lie. Better not to remind people." He was thinking, I don't care what you found over there, it's from 1991, and it's not going to help us change people's minds about why we went in 2003. But it could have.

It could have spelled out exactly who Saddam Hussein was for anybody who didn't want to believe it. It could have spelled out exactly why Saddam had to be targeted. It would have spelled out and made clear why Saddam Hussein had to go. It would have spelled out loud and clear why we couldn't take the chance that Saddam and Al-Qaeda weren't attached and Saddam didn't have anything to do with 9/11 in 2001. He might have.

It was more than enough to justify what we did. And yet for five years, I just think how unnecessary it all ends up having been. And, by the way, it's not insignificant that over half of this country was driven to real hatred. That is an emotion that has deep roots, and it lasts a long time. The Democrat Party and the media savaged everything having to do with the Iraq war, from Bush to Cheney to Colin Powell -- they gave him a pass not long ago after that Valerie Plame, but he got his taste of it originally. They savaged anything and anybody that had anything to do with it, except themselves, of course. They had all voted for it, too. They conveniently forgot that.
Some of the most baseless, you want to call it un-American, criticism I've ever heard in my life was in this five-year period, and it was relentless. It was unstoppable. It didn't end. It just piled on one on top of another day after day after day, with no retort, with no reply, with no defense, with no correction, whatever you want to call it. The lies were just allowed to sit there, and they festered, they effervesced, and they boiled over. And I, you know, I remember during the 2008 campaign we all had to listen to Obama talk about how he was gonna make the US respected again and loved again. The implication being, we were hated all over the world because of the Iraq war and because of Bush and Cheney.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/17/rove_s_incredible_wmd_miscalculation
The street vendor tried to serve me halal meat! His execution was justified!!! :freep:

quote:

RUSH: ... Look, I don't want to repeat myself, because it would require another half hour. But I would be remiss if I didn't review some of this, because the effect on the country and the Republican Party because of five years of lies, distortions and undisguised hatred still affects the politics in our country to this day.
Because the Democrats and the American media in conjunction worked tirelessly day in and day out to discredit everything that was going on -- not just the Iraq war, and not just the War on Terror, but everything the Bush administration was doing. And none of it was replied to. None of it was answered. None of these lies, none of the criticism, none of the defamation. None of it was responded to. It was allowed to stand, and the attitude continues to this day.

I am more convinced than ever that the paralysis of the Republican Party stems from those five years of never-ending defamation that the White House chose to ignore and not reply to. There were numerous reasons why. "Well, you know, we have such reverence for the office that we're not gonna respond to these political charges. We're not gonna get down the gutter with these people. We're gonna maintain the aura of the office above all of this."

Well, yeah, that is fine and dandy, except you have a bunch of people who voted for you who are being tarred and feathered in the same way. You've got the US military as an institution under daily assault. Do they not deserve to be defended as the good men and women they are, who were doing nothing more than following orders? Is there nothing worth defending? Every... For five years we're all asking ourselves, "What the heck?"

And we learn that the theory behind not responding was, "Just ignore it. The news cycle will produce a news story tomorrow and everybody will forget about this. But if we engage and we start trying to reply to this stuff, it's just gonna prolong the story. It's gonna be even worse." But nobody forgot anything. Everything just ended up being piled on top, one after another. Now, in this article in The Daily Beast, there's a guy who says that these chemical weapons that have been found, that Santorum found and that Rove and the White House did not want to deal with or acknowledge...

They did not want to use the information to defend themselves, to defend the war effort, to defend... They just didn't want to use it. One guy in the article says (paraphrased), "There's no reason to. These chemicals that these troops found in 2004, they're no more dangerous than what's underneath your kitchen sink." There's another guy in the article who says, "The real reason that the White House did not respond to this is that they didn't want the Sunnis in Iraq to know the weapons were there."

How convoluted is that?

We go to Iraq to eradicate weapons of mass destruction that Saddam Hussein's bragging all over the world about, and every intelligence service in the world says he has. We go there and we don't find those, but we do some years later find evidence of Saddam's previous foray into chemical weapons and nuclear, and we said, "No, we better not say we found them. We don't want the Sunnis in Iraq to know that the weapons were there."

What are the odds that ISIS got its hands on some of this stuff? What do you think the odds of that are? Look at what happened. The CIA, the Defense Intelligence Agency, MI5, MI6 -- every intelligence agency in the world was brutalized and called out for lying, and then their integrity was called into question. "Well, you know, Bush and Cheney, they made 'em lie! Bush and Cheney made 'em make it up because Bush and Cheney just wanted the oil!

"Bush and Cheney just wanted to get the oil for Halliburton, and Bush just wanted to go in and avenge Saddam's attempt to assassinate his dad. There was no oil, and no blood for oil, and there wasn't any weapons of mass destruction." This kind of hatred and irrational hatred was built up over five years! The intelligence agencies were brutalized. Their integrity was under assault every day by no less than the Democrat Party and the media.
Because with all of these lies that succeeded, the Democrats were more emboldened than ever; and it led to people like Dick Durbin going to the floor of the Senate and comparing our troops at Abu Ghraib to people that ran the Soviet gulags and the Nazi stalags. Oh, not to mention all of this crap about torture. "Oh, we were torturers! We were torturing everybody. We had black sites. We were renditioning the innocent all over the world and just torturing them!

"We were waterboarding them and we were being mean to them. We were cutting out their fingernails, we were connecting electrodes to their eyebrows -- and, yeah, it was horrible." All of this for five years unanswered, all because it was thought this was a loser issue.
My point is, folks -- and I think it's crucial. I think it's pretty important. This attitude continues to this day, this attitude, "No, no, no! Let's not talk about it. No, let's not respond! No, let's not reply. That's just gonna keep it in the news.

"Let's forget about it; let's move on to the next story; let's hope they forget it." It's the same thing every time there's a big budget fight. What do the Republicans do? They threaten to engage the Democrats on it; at the last minute they don't. They kick it down the road and promise to do it the next time. So what we have here is an attitude in the Republican Party that's scared to death of the media, scared to death of the left because of those five years the Democrats and the media showed what they're capable of.
Rather than defending, rather than embracing, rather than joining forces to beat the left, we're still cowering in fear. And I think this: I think there is an attitude at the upper levels of the Washington Republican establishment that assumes the country is already lost to the liberals; that the left has won. They've won the culture, and they're winning politics. There's an attitude that the left has won and that we can only occasionally expect to run the government.

And when we occasionally run the government, we're gonna make the most of it. We're gonna get those committee chairmanships, we're gonna be in charge of money, and we're gonna take care of people we need to take care of. We'll lose the next time, but we're gonna win occasionally -- and when we do, we want to be in charge of the money, too. It's defeatist, and it's no way to build a party or a movement. And all of it stems -- I'm convinced all of this stems -- from a political decision in 2005 at the White House, from 2003, actually, to 2008, five years, to let this stuff go un-commented on.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: We'll start Saratoga Springs, New York. This is Jim. Thank you for waiting, sir. I appreciate it. Hi.

CALLER: Hello, Rush. I just wanted to reiterate, everything you were saying is so true. I mean, I knew this back in 2006. I can remember the liberals, the pathetic media, putting posters up saying, "WMD: 0, American soldiers: like 4,000." This whole thing is coming out now because of a few things going on, like the New York Times article, Rick Santorum, I don't know why he doesn't come out stronger and defend this. But this is why we have eight years of Marxism in the White House and liberal politicians is because the administration -- it's pains me to say this about my own president I used to support vividly about everything, but I don't know why they would not defend finding these weapons.

It's the whole thing about not articulating conservatism. I think establishment Republicans have the genetic flaw that they cannot stand up and fight for what their gut principles are. And I think they knew this all along, but Karl Rove decided not to continue on because they thought that would lose their possibly lead in the 2006 election, which it did. They got blown out of the water. So it was a waste of time. I think Karl Rove made a huge error, and the advisors that were advising President Bush.

This is so irritating to me, and I think that the country needs to come out and say, "You know what? President Bush, we did find these weapons." Do you remember that White House Correspondents Dinner when Bush made a fool of himself looking around the podium for weapons of mass destruction, and goes, "Well, I don't see any here. I don't see any there," and the audience was all laughing hysterically. Do you remember that?

RUSH: I do.

CALLER: It was so sad to see that, and we all knew there were weapons there.
Saddam Hussein killed his own people. The Kurds were killed by chemical weapons. And yet nobody said a word because the liberal media and these leftists that run Washington, DC, are disgusting. And this is so good that you bring this up, and I just wanted to express that point, why we have the administration we have today.

RUSH: Well, I think you're on the money, and if you note, the same philosophy exists today. Don't respond to any of it. The racism, sexism, bigotry charge, the War on Women, all of this crap, just let it go.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This is Jeremy in Minneapolis. Welcome, sir. Great to have you on the EIB Network. Hi.

CALLER: Yes, sir. Thank you very much. Maybe from the other angle, maybe they felt that they didn't have to be vindicated in the press to be a patriot. By keeping stuff quiet and not letting other people know where the chemical weapons were at, kept them out of getting in the wrong people's hands. And here with the press and everything, I mean, we have one station, and we have talk radio that actually tells us the truth. And no matter where they let that out about the chemical weapons, it would have been spun the other way. I mean, a local politician here that ran against Michele Bachmann, Jim Graves, he says that it's the Americans that made the chemical weapons so we're still at fault. So no matter which angle they go we're still in trouble.

RUSH: Okay, now, there are a lot of people that have that viewpoint, that no matter what you do, the left is gonna attack it. No matter what you say, the left is gonna try to discredit you. The problem is, if you simply let that dictate your behavior, you're always going to end up losing, if you ask me. That attitude concedes we cannot beat the left. Which is, sadly, where I think a lot of Republican Party thinking is today. We can't beat the media, we can't beat the left, and therefore we need to make of ourselves the smallest targets we can be. The conservatives make us too big a target, and the Tea Party makes us too big a target. They're too loud. They're too anti-establishment, and they come off as extremists, and it affects the way people think about us. So discredit the Tea Party, disavow conservatives, and just slink along trying to be as unnoticed as you can.

Is there any better example of the philosophy than this election? They're going out of their way to be invisible. The Republicans are. Because they think the Democrats are imploding. They think to engage and to take an opportunity here to build a coalition, to build a connection, the American people are fed up with this, build a connection, tell 'em why, join them, present yourselves, the Republicans, as their champion. No, no, no, the media will eat us up. Oh, no, we'll just sit by and let the other guys commit suicide, we hope. Political suicide, of course. That's what I mean. This attitude survives to this day. Well, look, you can say that you understand it, and I do, but I don't agree with it.

They think it's gotten them survivability. Boehner is still the Speaker. They're still in office. Individually they're still in office. They may not run the Senate. They may not have the White House, but they're still in office. They still have their power, whatever it is. I've described it, all of this, in previous efforts to characterize it as PTSD, shell shock, what have you. And as I learn about this WMD incident, I'm more convinced than ever, not only did the media, the Democrats in those five years, make their own rabid supporters insane with hatred. It also had a profound effect on the way Republicans deal with the public as well. I mean, they're literally afraid of their shadows, like groundhogs. Well, I don't know if groundhogs are afraid of their shadows, but they don't want to get noticed. Anyway, there are exceptions to it, of course. I'm talking about general party wide philosophy.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/17/current_gop_paralysis_stems_from_bush_administration_s_refusal_to_push_back_against_lies
The Republicans are actually doing right by themselves for a change: They've muzzled enough of their own crazies to the point where they stand a very high chance of not alienating a large portion of their voters such that they can gain more power within the Legislative branch. Granted this is a midterm election, but there seems to be far less foot-in-mouth syndrome this round than poo poo like O'Donnell's 'I am not a witch' and Aiken's opinions on rape. Honestly, if the Republicans followed Limbaugh's strategy of challenging every allegation thrown at them it would be damned hilarious because they'd wear themselves out from trying to counter allegations of racism, bigotry, and homophobia within the first hour of adopting this strategy.
That was also a very pathetic defense of torture. :qq: All the media did was complain about Republicans violating international treaties when the Bush Administration was caught hooking up car batteries to Mohammad's nipples while his feet are soaked in a kiddie pool. When will Obama answer for his crimes?! :qq:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/17/rove_s_incredible_wmd_miscalculation
The street vendor tried to serve me halal meat! His execution was justified!!! :freep:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/10/17/current_gop_paralysis_stems_from_bush_administration_s_refusal_to_push_back_against_lies
The Republicans are actually doing right by themselves for a change: They've muzzled enough of their own crazies to the point where they stand a very high chance of not alienating a large portion of their voters such that they can gain more power within the Legislative branch. Granted this is a midterm election, but there seems to be far less foot-in-mouth syndrome this round than poo poo like O'Donnell's 'I am not a witch' and Aiken's opinions on rape. Honestly, if the Republicans followed Limbaugh's strategy of challenging every allegation thrown at them it would be damned hilarious because they'd wear themselves out from trying to counter allegations of racism, bigotry, and homophobia within the first hour of adopting this strategy.
That was also a very pathetic defense of torture. :qq: All the media did was complain about Republicans violating international treaties when the Bush Administration was caught hooking up car batteries to Mohammad's nipples while his feet are soaked in a kiddie pool. When will Obama answer for his crimes?! :qq:

I'm actually surprised he clarified that the weapons were from 1991. I love how he says "the glee, the joy that the liberals took during the war." Yeah, Rush, those were heady days. A real laugh riot. I was on cloud nine watching Bush destroy two countries.

Good times. Good times.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Goddammit I really can't stand Rush when he talks about how the left handled Bush's wars and how much only he supports the troops. Makes me want to round up a bunch of my veteran friends, get into his studio while he's on the air and "let him know" how veterans really feel about his grandstanding. Reading a headline like, "Rush Limbaugh attacked by Iraq War veterans" would be quite satisfying, even if it just fueled his persecution narrative...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm actually surprised he clarified that the weapons were from 1991. I love how he says "the glee, the joy that the liberals took during the war." Yeah, Rush, those were heady days. A real laugh riot. I was on cloud nine watching Bush destroy two countries.

Good times. Good times.

Its such a weird juxtaposition where he's actually telling the truth and saying "These weapons were from '91 and weren't what the Bush administration claimed was there" and then in the same breath says "BUT IT TOTALLY JUSTIFIES IT WE FOUND THE WMDS". Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My favorite thing about it, minus the "SEE WE TOLD YOU!" and blatant attempts to try to under report the effects of being exposed to chemical agents, is that there was no plan in place with what to do when we found chemical weapons. It was one thing to send soldiers overseas with inadequate body armor; however, the whole justification behind the invasions were to find and disable chemical weapons... with absolutely no planning on how to approach or deal with chemical weapons. It would make sense if soldiers didn't have body armor but they did have gas masks; however, they had neither.

It's some pretty classic "the ends justifying the means" poo poo. It also confirms that the right wing authoritarian retcon machine never seems to run out of fuel.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Oh good I was wondering when Rushbo was gonna get to this idiot talking point of WE FOUND CHEMCIAL WEAPONS!!! Of coirse none of these dummies take the time to point out that the weapons found were corroded munitions that had been locked away so they could degrade safely without endangering human life, which of course they did when US soldiers uncovered them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
The only interesting part of the chemical weapons story is how it was covered up. The progression of how the story got pushed down is the clearest indication yet that the Bush white house didn't give a poo poo about WMDs outside of their usefulness in starting a war that Bush and crew wanted well before 9/11.

Also the fact that Santorum knew and tried telling people about it for years but literally no one is capable of taking Santorum seriously. That part is pretty funny too. Pete 'Spend it not' Hoekstra and Rick 'frothy' Santorum broke this story way back in 2006

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 18, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Phone posted:

My favorite thing about it, minus the "SEE WE TOLD YOU!" and blatant attempts to try to under report the effects of being exposed to chemical agents, is that there was no plan in place with what to do when we found chemical weapons. It was one thing to send soldiers overseas with inadequate body armor; however, the whole justification behind the invasions were to find and disable chemical weapons... with absolutely no planning on how to approach or deal with chemical weapons. It would make sense if soldiers didn't have body armor but they did have gas masks; however, they had neither.

It's some pretty classic "the ends justifying the means" poo poo. It also confirms that the right wing authoritarian retcon machine never seems to run out of fuel.

This is incorrect. If you read the NYT article, one of the points it brings up is that we were very well prepared for dealing with chemical agents when we started the war, but we pulled back on that when it became clear Saddam didn't have an active program, so by the time we started finding the old stockpiles as part of the war against the insurgency, we were no longer prepared for dealing with chemical agents.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Were people doing poo poo like that during the SARS scare or any of the various flu scares? I mean, you had people wearing surgical masks around Toronto, sure, but not full radiation suits in front of the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah to me the SARS and flu varieties were the scary ones. Remember it was the Spanish Flu that killed a poo poo ton of people after WW1.