Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Some of you people need to check your privilege. It must be real nice having friends to hand your phone to or going outside where you see strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's not how the law works at all, lmao. If some moron drops your phone it's their fault.

Their fault meaning they pay for it?

You have a cite for that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pretty sure there's no cut and dry law there. You'd have to go to small claims and then the judge would want facts and circumstance.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else having orientation issues with their 6? It seems to not want to change orientation sometimes randomly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else having orientation issues with their 6? It seems to not want to change orientation sometimes randomly.

Ios8 bug.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Suqit posted:

Some of you people need to check your privilege. It must be real nice having friends to hand your phone to or going outside where you see strangers.

my favorite thing to do when people ask me to take their picture is to start talking to them in a really long winded fashion so they like can't get away

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Agronox posted:

Their fault meaning they pay for it?

You have a cite for that?

Judge Judy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, it all seems pretty simple to me. Someone takes your car (you let them, they ask, you ask them) they get in a car accident, they pay damages.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

pretty sure if someone non-neglegently damages a thing you literally give them then it isn't their fault, especially if you're asking them to do something as a favor (taking a picture)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And here I was thinking it couldn't get worse than case chat.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
This is why you bring documents that the photo taker must sign to assume all damages to the phone while it is in their possession for the 18 seconds while they take your blurry drunk photo inside the bar.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
As an aside to the who-pays-for-the-repair chat, I wanted to thank the person who posted the template for converting an image into a background for cases with a clear back side. I'm really happy with how this came out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What does FX pay for putting ads on you phone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hawkeye posted:

As an aside to the who-pays-for-the-repair chat, I wanted to thank the person who posted the template for converting an image into a background for cases with a clear back side. I'm really happy with how this came out.

This really confused me, as I was just reading the AHS thread and there was a really stupid debate going on in there too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The plus side to have a cracked screen is not really giving a poo poo about treating your phone like a delicate flower anymore which, for the time being, is a nice little weight off my shoulders.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone else having problems staying connected to wifi? My girlfriend's mom has an iPhone 6 with 8.02 and it just will not stay connected no matter what. Every other device in the house is fine and the router is running normally.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone else having problems staying connected to wifi? My girlfriend's mom has an iPhone 6 with 8.02 and it just will not stay connected no matter what. Every other device in the house is fine and the router is running normally.

Someone needs to put this in the thread title. No, it's not just you. iOS 8 seems to have some wifi issues. Update and Monday and hopefully they'll clear up.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'd say read the loving thread but... I wouldn't want you to have to deal with the Friend-Law chat.

It's an ios8 bug. Cross your fingers Monday fixes it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Hawkeye posted:

Why in the gently caress did you get this case? I literally can't figure it out. It's not even anything cool from the show its a loving ad. What the gently caress. You spent so much money on a device and you cover it up with that? I am punching myself right now seriously I punched my leg.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why in the gently caress did you get this case? I literally can't figure it out. It's not even anything cool from the show its a loving ad. What the gently caress. You spent so much money on a device and you cover it up with that? I am punching myself right now seriously I punched my leg.

Its pretty stupid, but all he did was print some poo poo using his inkjet and stick it in the back of a clear case. It's not like he bought a bespoke artisanal case here.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm holding off on a 6+ until I can find a good floppy disk case.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wow, do you guys eat Urine-os for breakfast lunch and all of your other meals including dinner?

Dude liked something so he got a case made of it. i would've used that Photoshop tool thingy to crop out the FX logo and the showtime, but hellum hey.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've been going through getting my iPhone 5 ready for resell. I had a problem, but... heh...

See, I had just bought the 6. My old 5 was in fine condition, some little scuffs on the side, but lived in a case all its life. It had two major problems, though. First, when I got my 6, I accidentally updated the 5 to iOS8, losing my jailbreak. gently caress. Also, a week before the 6 went on sale, the sleep button crapped out on me. Fortunately, I was eligible for a free repair on this. I asked if I could also get the camera fixed (there was dust stuck in it) along with the battery. That all got done, but a few days after I got it back, I noticed I had at least 20 dead pixels near the top of the screen. I recall maybe one dead pixel before the repair. I went to the store to get it repaired. They said come back in 30 minutes. Huh, pretty quick for a repair.

No, turns out they're just giving me a replacement unit. I now have a fully refurbished iPhone 5 to sell, in near-mint condition...

...with iOS 7.1.2 installed. :smuggo:

Hawkeye posted:

Hey, that was me! Glad to see somebody else using it. I've got mine done, too, but I'm not happy with the printout I got from CVS. I think I'm gonna try Kinkos next.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Why are you people printing pieces of paper for your phone cases?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
When I got my 6 my friends and some acquaintances wanted to check it out (been drinking at a bar even!) and I tongue in cheek said: "Sure, you break it you buy it." My friends would have replaced it since thats how they are, but I have no idea how any of the others would've handled it. Now no one cares because it's old news. This is a dumb derail and I'm dumb for adding to it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Can we just stop judging people for every little thing? Who cares what the guy's case looks like? Who cares if the guy has a case? Who cares if you don't think a certain app is good or useful, or if you think a thing is ugly or whatever? Jesus Christ people. This thread is worse than the Android thread.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why are you people printing pieces of paper for your phone cases?

When I bought my iPhone 6, the morning after launch, the AT&T store only had one model: 64GB Champagne Gold. That's the size I wanted, but not the color. But then I realized, I could make my own backing design with this clear case.

And then I have a matching background:

When I do the reprinting at Kinkos, it's going to use an updated design that raises the Clemente Bridge higher, which will make that work better..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Am I crazy, I thought I remembered from the iOS 8 keynote that they spoke about an expanded keyboard that had copy paste and other functions on it. Am I just miss remembering something?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Feenix posted:

Am I crazy, I thought I remembered from the iOS 8 keynote that they spoke about an expanded keyboard that had copy paste and other functions on it. Am I just miss remembering something?
That's the landscape mode keyboard on the iPhone 6 Plus.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cawd Rud posted:

That's the landscape mode keyboard on the iPhone 6 Plus.

Holy crap, I just came back to edit my post to say that I'm an idiot because I have not actually rotated my phone in landscape and used something where I typed. Thanks for the answer I figured out right as you posted.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I'm trying to back up my girlfriends phone to my PC. I did so a while ago and encrypted it, but of course I can't remember the password. I have no use for the existing backups on the PC, but it won't let me disable the encrypted backups without the password. I deleted all of her previous backups off the PC and just want to do non-encrypted backups from now on, but it keeps asking me for a password. Is this possible to do without restoring her phone?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

noirstronaut posted:

This still seems wrong to me given he only asked them to take a photo using a smartphone in 2014 (even if that is the case). It's not like someone was handed a confusing device that is confusing to understand. You hold it and press the circle and you're done. If it were some difficult to control device that had lanky proportions, it makes sense.

Seriously, you've missed all the posts where people say they find the iPhone 6 is way more slippery due to its thinness and rounded edges? It doesn't matter if someone understands how to press a circle or not you nitwit.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The picture taker can refuse a strangers phone, if they drop or damage others property is is their fault. Case closed.

They can, but they won't. Ever. There is social pressure; as I pointed out already, you look like an rear end in a top hat if you can't help out a fellow human being for twenty seconds. I've never seen anyone refuse a take-my-photo request. When you ask someone to do a favor for you for free, you're taking advantage of that social pressure and trying to hold them responsible for your lack of basic precautionary measures (a case) against predictable and common accidents is a dick move. (I too go caseless fwiw, though I don't think I will when my 6 finally gets here.)

/end of my part in this derail

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

They can, but they won't. Ever. There is social pressure; as I pointed out already, you look like an rear end in a top hat if you can't help out a fellow human being for twenty seconds. I've never seen anyone refuse a take-my-photo request. When you ask someone to do a favor for you for free, you're taking advantage of that social pressure and trying to hold them responsible for your lack of basic precautionary measures (a case) against predictable and common accidents is a dick move. (I too go caseless fwiw, though I don't think I will when my 6 finally gets here.)

/end of my part in this derail

Hrm, I'm not seeing it. Could you diagram this on something like a Nash equilibrium grid?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Honestly I would recommend putting grip tape on your phone, at least one poster in the Android thread has used this technique for all his phones.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
poo poo, haven't had a problem updating iOS for so long that I forget what to do in this situation. I was just upgrading a 5S from 7.something to 8.0.2 hardwired through iTunes, when it got to the end of the install it said it couldn't finish and to try again. After holding power + home to get the phone off the black and white installation bar screen, it rebooted into the "plug into iTunes alert" screen. The only option in iTunes now is to restore, but it makes it sound like it isn't going to let me choose which backup to restore from (I obviously backed up right before starting the installation for 8). If I click that now is it going to delete everything and not reload my last backup? How do I get it to just go back to the last working/recent backup?

Edit: After opening iTunes again I notice the warning now says it must be restored before it can interact with iTunes. So after I'm forced to hit the restore prompt right now, is there any way to manually grab my latest backup file to be able to restore to after the full factory restore? Ahhh, I'm confused.

Mr. Onslaught fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2014

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Try setting up the phone as a new one first. Then you should be able to restore your backup.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there a way to force that option? All I get is "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." as a warning, and then a summary that says "Recovery Mode" with n/a serial number and no options to interact with anything except "Restore iPhone."

I don't mind clicking that if there's a way to guarantee I can manually get my latest backup and then force it to restore to that after this total restore, hmmm I am getting nervous now.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Do the restore. After the restoration process has started is when you choose the backup to put on your phone.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Is there a way to force that option? All I get is "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." as a warning, and then a summary that says "Recovery Mode" with n/a serial number and no options to interact with anything except "Restore iPhone."

I don't mind clicking that if there's a way to guarantee I can manually get my latest backup and then force it to restore to that after this total restore, hmmm I am getting nervous now.

I had this problem a few months ago with a point update and I found an app that will take your phone out of recovery mode. I don't have a link but I bet some googling would turn it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

Cawd Rud posted:

Do the restore. After the restoration process has started is when you choose the backup to put on your phone.

I was just about to do that but this gave me pause:

"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed. iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings."

Since my latest backup is from 7.something, and it wants to wipe my phone into 8.2, will it still then be able to restore all of my stuff from the 7.0 backup? It seems to imply in that message that only some of my stuff can be saved, in which case I don't want to click "update and install" which is the only available option.

korora posted:

I had this problem a few months ago with a point update and I found an app that will take your phone out of recovery mode. I don't have a link but I bet some googling would turn it up.

And it did that by letting you manually select a backup to restore from? I'll look for it, thanks....gah I'm super nervous right now