Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Talas posted:

55. Goliath. Scott Westerfeld. The references to real people started to get ridiculous. Also, the main characters got more annoying. I'm glad it's over.

I started that series but didn't get around to finishing it, perhaps because of issues mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Through August:

69. I am a Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstadter At the very least, this book frees me for feeling guilty for my light reading. Hofstadter is smug, and trite, and repeats himself, and uses his pet theories to explain everything. Having read this book, I am free to not care about Hofstadter anymore.

70. Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey The second part of a high fantasy novel. Kept me entertained, didn't quite hit the spot of being really involving.

71. Simplicius Simplicissimus by Grimmelhausen A contemporary picaresque novel of the 30 Years War. Of interest to those interested in German history/literature, a bit dense for the rest of us.

72. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe I know Goethe is a genius and all, but this book was so deathly dull that at points in reading it, my brain shut down. It was like white noise for my brain. Boring. So, so boring.

73. Kill Him Twice by Richard Prather Detective noir set in the 1960s in LA, where a PI has to break up a black mail ring. Pretty good, if you want some vintage pulp.

74. Salt Water by Charles Simmons Litfic. The author was an editor at the New York Times Review of Books. A novel about bored people having sex, told without affect.

75. Persons & Places by George Santayana Famous philosopher writes his autobiography, and it is mostly about architecture and boat rides and funny relatives.

76. The Achievements of T.S. Eliot by F.O. Matthieson I've kind of reached the point of diminishing returns as far as Eliot criticism goes.

77. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Volume 7 I don't really know where stuff like this comes from, tbqh.

I got a varied mix of books, but to be honest, nothing I've read for a while has really lit me up and made me excited. What is wrong with my reading?

Trek Junkie
Jun 29, 2012

Commander Riker, or Jesus? ... Semantics.

Trek Junkie posted:

14. Mastering the Rockefeller Habits by Verne Harnish - This was required reading for work. Though there are some good ideas here, a lot of Harnish's justifications rely anecdotal evidence. On principle, that bothers me. Maybe back up some claims with evidence/data? Nah.
15. Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction - The first volume in this Hawkeye series is intriguing and hilarious. The artwork is solid, but nothing stellar.
16. Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits by Matt Fraction - The second volume quickly picked up the pace and I absolutely adore the artistic approach to specific action scenes. I cannot wait for volume three... but I will, because I have no choice.
17. Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction - I went into the story anticipating much more heavy-handed supernatural elements, but the story did not delivery on that front. That issue aside, I find the main characters approachable and charming. I finished this collection feeling intrigued more than ecstatic or satisfied. I will give the second volume a chance.
18. Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology by J.H. Williams III - The entire volume is breathtaking. Each page is thought out from word to composition to coloring. Read Batwoman: Elegy first as that story is going to give you a healthy background for the New 52! Batwoman and the overarching plot.
19. Batwoman, Vol 2: To Drown the World by J.H. Williams III - Somehow, this is more outstanding than the first volume.
20. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - This volume did not disappoint. The plot becomes heavier than the previous volumes and the escalation of events is graceful and sharp. I never found myself offended at the introduction of new elements - Kate Kane's biting sense of meta-humor has something to do with softening the blow. All-around brilliant.
21. Batwoman, Vol 3: World's Finest by J.H. Williams III - While this volume is not as heavy or action-packed as the previous two volumes, it holds strong as an intriguing collection that advances the overarching plot of the series.
22. Clockwork Angels #1 by Kevin J. Anderson - This comic is beautifully illustrated. If you don't like to read a written language, I would surmise that this is the comic for you. The first issue in a six part series creates a surprisingly easy alternate reality. Oftentimes, stories will attempt to over-sell another universe to its readers, but this first issue handled it so gracefully that I am still a taken aback by it. I have to get my hands on issues #2 and #3 immediately.

End of August update!

23. Deep Gravity by Gabriel Hardman - Intriguing, but not so good that I would buy the next issues in the series. Maybe I'll look for a volume set and check it out from the library, but not worth my money. I enjoyed the interstellar art.
24. The Sandman, Overture #1 by Neil Gaiman - The cliffhanger for the end of this issue is extremely upsetting (in a good way). I even missed release day at the comic shop for #2, but they have #3 sitting on the shelf right now.... Must... not... skip ahead!...
25. Spike: Into the Light by James Marsters - Being crazy about the only vampire who wanted his human soul back, this was a delightful read. What makes it extra tasty is the fact that James Marsters actually wrote the story (the actor who plays Spike in the show).
26. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller - I cannot believe I waited this long before reading this riveting take on war, crime, and government officials. I am still reeling from this read and am halfway convinced that I have to readjust my top ten favorite novels list. Heller is hilarious, sharp, and thoughtful. Just, wow.
27. 30 Days of Night Omnibus Vol. 1 by Ben Templesmith - This is, by far, one of the best before-bed reads I've had this year. The imagery is haunting and, at times, beautiful. The narrative had a punch to it, because of the illustrator. The work as a whole seems complete and envisions a menacing take on a classic monster.

I am losing momentum to read often, because life outside of reading has become rather time-consuming. We'll see if I can catch up in the last few months to hit 65. Yeesh.

My Goodreads profile here: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/28352324

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ToxicFrog posted:

US readers may know these better as the omnibus editions All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Wise and Wonderful and All Things Bright and Beautiful. These are stories about rural veterinary practice in the Yorkshire Dales in the 1940s, and are mostly autobiographical -- with names changed to protect the guilty, and some embellishment.

These too are rereads, but it's been over a decade since I read them last. In the intervening decade I've married one woman who grew up on a farm, and dated another; this has let me soak up some knowledge about farming and given me an even greater appreciation for them.

Man, I read a bunch of those when I was a wee lad, 30 years ago or more. Remember them as being pretty great (also I grew up on a farm myself).

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ltr posted:

Yeah, good when I read it but depressing. She has a new book coming out in a couple weeks that I just preordered.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm definitely getting that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Groke posted:

Man, I read a bunch of those when I was a wee lad, 30 years ago or more. Remember them as being pretty great (also I grew up on a farm myself).

They're still pretty great. :)

I keep trying to convince my wife to read them, but her reading list is ridiculously long and she doesn't have a lot of time for reading at the moment.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

apophenium posted:

1. Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson
2. Vulcan's Forge by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz
3. Harbinger by David Mack
4. The Crippled God by Steven Erikson
5. Consider Phlebus by Iain M. Banks
6. Masters of Doom by David Kushner
7. Summon the Thunder by Dayton Ward
8. Blood and Bone by Ian Cameron Esslemont
9. Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
10. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
11. Reap the Whirlwind by David Mack

12. Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks
13. Every Love Story is a Ghost Story by D. T. Max
14. Open Secrets by Dayton Ward
15. If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino
16. Blindsight by Peter Watts
17. The State of the Art by Iain M. Banks

Woo! That's 17 books finished in 2014, which incidentally was my goal. I've atoned for my sin of falling short last year. I'm not going to bump up my goal, but instead am going to see where I end up so I have an idea what my goal should be next year.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

53: The Time of the Dark (i think it's called) by Barbara Hambly. It's OK so far, but it's another in a sequence of 'our world into theirs' type plots which seems to define this humble bundle and I'm getting kind of bored with those. It's got a good world with some interesting myth and backstory, I just can't understand why it NEEDS the whole 'person(s) from our world into theirs' to prop it up.

53: The Time of the Dark was solid except for the aforementioned 'people-from-earth' issue - I think this might have been a 'classic fantasy' humble bundle, which probably explains it. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't bother with the next one. it didn't grab me enough.

54: Freehold by William C Dietz. I very much enjoyed this, I have to say. Fairly basic military space opera, but fun and interesting, with engaging characters and a reasonably interesting plot. Well-written action too. not a lot to say about it on my part I have to say, but I did enjoy it.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

quote:

01. The Stranger - Albert Camus
02. The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, The Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made - Greg Sestero
03. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
04. The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
05. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
06. Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges
07. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
08. When Panic Attacks - David Burns
09. Bridge of Birds - Barry Hughart
10. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
11. The Philip K. Dick Reader - Philip K. Dick
12. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
13. Under The Skin - Michael Faber
14. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
15. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
16. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy
17. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
18. Invisible Cities - Italo Calvino
19. Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
20. I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers - Tim Madigan
21. The Snow Leopard - Peter Matthiessen
22. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
23. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez
24. Wind, Sand and Stars - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
25. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
26. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
27. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
28. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
29. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
30. The Blind Owl - Sadegh Hedayat
31. Kitchen - Banana Yoshimoto
32. The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown
33. Ship of Fools - Katherine Anne Porter
34. Life and Death are Wearing Me Out - Mo Yan
35. The Complete Stories - Flannery O'Connor
36. Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
37. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby
38. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Italo Calvino
39. Candide - Voltaire

40. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
Thrilling adventure. I really liked writing style and the characterization, but the supernatural stuff (esp. in the last 150p) was a bit much (reminded me of like Harry Potter battles, but really out of place). If you liked Cloud Atlas, I'd recommend it even if the magic stuff gets silly.

41. Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
So good I'm tempted to start reading it again. Some of the talking in the AZ desert seemed too go on too long at times, but I absolutely loved this book. I started reading this on paperback, but quickly switched to Kindle and it was much more enjoyable.

42. Tobacco Road - Erskine Caldwell
Bleak portrayal of a destitute Georgia family during the Great Depression. Nearly every person in this book is selfish, uneducated and desperate but it's difficult to not feel sorry for them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

1. The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 24 edited by Stephen Jones
2. Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovtich
3. Dark Advent by Brian Hodge
4. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
5. Broken Sigil by William Meikle
6. Menance by Gary Fry
7. Blue War by Jeffrey Thomas
8. Red Cells by Jeffrey Thomas
9. Marrow’s Pit by Keith Deininger
10. I Am the New God by Nicole Cushing
11. Dead Five’s Pass by Colin Barnes
12. Traitor’s Blade by Sebastien De Castell
13. John Dies At the End by David Wong
14. This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong
15. Deadlift by Craig Saunders
16. Dead Sea by Tim Curran
17. Nightcrawlers by Tim Curran
18. Dream of the Serpent by Alan Ryker
19. Severed by Gary Fry
20. The Devil Behind by by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes
21. Ash and Bone by Lisa von Biela
22. Reaping the Dark by Gary McMahon
23. Rogue by Greg Gifune
24. When We Fall by Peter Giglio
25. The Fading Place by Mary SanGiovanni
26. Ghosts of Punktown by Jeffrey Thomas

I actually hit my goal a few weeks back.

27. Authority by Jeff Vandermeer
28. Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
29. Skin Game by Jim Butcher
30. Deadlock by Tim Curran
31. Burnt Black Suns by Simon Strantzas
32. Shattered by Kevin Hearne
33. The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross
34. Blackout by Tim Curran
35. Savage by Gary Fry
36. Deceiver by Kelli Owen
37. Conduits by Jennifer Loring
38. The Sleeping Dead by Richard Farren Barber
39. A Beautiful Madness by Lee Thompson
40. Blood Eye by Craig Saunders
41. The Last Mile by Tim Waggoner
42. Elderwood Manor by Christopher Fulbright and Angeline Hawkes
43. The Dark Defiles by Richard Morgan
44. The Chapman Books by Aaron French, et al.
45. Ceremony of Flies by Kate Jonez
46. Sunblind by Michael McBride
47. Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge
48. The Exiled by William Meikle
49. Surrogate by David Bernstein
50. Factory Town by Jon Bassof
51. Darkfuse 2 edited by Shane Staley
52. The Concrete Grove by Gary McMahon
53. Unholy Dimensions by Jeffrey Thomas
54. Acceptance by Jeff Vandermeer
55. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
56. Radiant Dawn by Cody Goodfellow
57. The Getaway God by Richard Kadrey
58. Fearful Symmetries edited by Ellen Datlow
59. The Mission by T.E. Grau
60. Lovecraft’s Monsters edited by Ellen Datlow

Authority and Acceptance were quite a bit different than Annihilation, but I liked them just as much; I think Vandermeer fully succeeded in what he set out to do with the Southern Reach trilogy. Half a King is not really YA, even if it's sometimes marketed that way, it's just Joe Abercrombie writing with a much narrower focus; I thought it was excellent. Burnt Black Suns, while not as good as it's predecessor, is still an excellent collection that I recommend to horror fans.

The Dark Defiles is easily the best of the Land Fit for Heroes trilogy and a fitting end to the story. I'm going to miss reading about all the characters, but I also appreciate that Morgan started out with a story to tell and stuck to his guns, not giving in to the temptation to turn it into a sprawling epic. The Last Mile is a nice little cosmic horror tale; I hope Waggoner visits that setting again in the future. Worlds of Hurt is also an excellent set of cosmic horror tales, but Hodge is a lot more nihilistic in how he approaches that type of story.

I read the original version of The Forever War (I think an expanded edition came out at some point...) and was blown away - I can't imagine a better response to Starship Troopers. Radiant Dawn was not what I"d been led to believe (I was told it was a modern-day setting Cthulhu story), but it was still pretty good. The blurb for the sequel makes it sound like it will get into all the stuff I expected from the first book. The Mission is a great period horror story that, unfortunately, not a lot of people will get to read (limited edition chapbook and, as far as I know, no plans for a digital release).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

53: The Time of the Dark was solid except for the aforementioned 'people-from-earth' issue - I think this might have been a 'classic fantasy' humble bundle, which probably explains it. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't bother with the next one. it didn't grab me enough.

54: Freehold by William C Dietz. I very much enjoyed this, I have to say. Fairly basic military space opera, but fun and interesting, with engaging characters and a reasonably interesting plot. Well-written action too. not a lot to say about it on my part I have to say, but I did enjoy it.

55: Empire of Man by David Weber and John Ringo. Pretty decent actually; I wasn't expecting much of it. Has a lot of the hallmarks of Weber in particular (British-style aristocracy, marines, sailing and sailing analogies) set on an interesting hellworld. A few things struck me on reflection as a little over-convenient, particularly Cord's lack of language problems, and the general lack of culture shock and cultural problems, but as a whole it was a fun militiary SF pair of novels/start to a series, and I'll be looking up the rest of the series at some point.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

141: The Sorcerer's Widow - Lawrence Watt-Evans
142: Critical Failures 3 - Robert Revan
143: The Blinding Knife - Brent Weeks
144: Gun Monkeys - Victor Gischler
145: The Automatic Detective - A Lee. Martinez
146: The Infinity Agenda - David Conyers
147: The Elder Codex - David Conyers
148: Chasing the Moon - A Lee Martinez
149: Too Many Curses - A Lee Martinez
150: Immortal and the Madman - Gene Doucette
151: Immortal At Sea - Gene Doucette
152: Hard Boiled Immortal - Gene Doucette
153: In the Company of Ogres - A Lee Martinez

154: The Living End - Craig Schaefer
155: The Misenchanted Sword - Lawrence Watt-Evans
156: Spider Man 3 - Peter David
157: No Hero - Jonathan Wood
158: The Grendel Affair - Lisa Shearin
159: Bloodlight : The Apocalypse of Robert Goldner - Harambee K. Grey-sun
160: We Are All Completely Fine - Darryl Gregory
161: Circles in the snow - Patrick F. Mcmanus
162: Hellenic Immortal - Gene Doucette
163: Interesting Times - Matthew Storm
164: The Goblin Emperor - Katherine Addison
165: Voices From Beyond - Simon Green
167: Origins of a D-List Supervillain - Jim Bernheimer
168: Confessions of a D-list Supervillain - Jim Bernheimer
169: Hidden - Benedict Jacka
170: Chosen - Benedict Jacka
171: The Getaway God - Richard Kadrey
172: Kill City Blues - Richard Kadrey

The Living End was pretty awesome. Great book that didn't end up exactly the way I thought, but was still pretty damned good. If you liked the first two books, you'll dig this one.

Misenchanted Sword was pretty great. I love the Esthar series and wanted some happy fantasy to read.

Spider Man 3 was the novelization of the movie with a few differences in the script. Overall, not worth a read.

No Hero is a pretty decent urban fantasy set in London, where Dept MI37 (all 4 of them) work to keep the world safe from monsters, critters, and rogue wizards.

The Grendel Affair is the first book in the series called SPI Files, and is kinda decent. I was worried because it had the tropes of Southern woman lead, mysterious agency, handsome and withdrawn bodyguard, and super powers so I went into it thinking "Holy poo poo please don't be some sort of weird fuckfest romance" and it wasn't. Decent story to it, and I do plan to pick up the second book.

Bloodlight was loving horrible. Just, jesus it was a chore to read and basically it was horrible and I'd give it the same rating as herpes if I could.

We Are All Completely Fine was a decent story. Little weirder than I thought, but the basic gist of it is a group of survivors from incredibly creepy supernatural poo poo all end up in a therapy group and share their stories.

Circles in the snow was the last Tully novel released, and was actually pretty good. If you liked the other mystery books he's written, you'll dig this one. It was a little weird, but I can see where he's going with the series... kinda.

Hellenic Immortal was a reread, but a good one. I like the book.

Interesting Times was decent. It's the first book in a new series, I think, and it's an interesting take on the whole urban fantasy idea. The book opens with an accountant barely surviving an assassination attempt and kinda runs from there. Worth a shot.

The Goblin Emperor I did not like that much. I basically kept reading because the story seemed somewhat interesting, but it suffered a bit from the old fantasy trope of "let's invent a language and then throw fantasy words around with no definition, and then just substitute well known species from D&D with different names". I can't really recommend it, but it did fill the nitch I was looking for of vaguely happy fantasy without grimdark bullshit. Just the annoyance of weird little things like calling them emperor "Serenity" instead of "Emperor" because they are elves and that's what they do in this magic fairyland of wonderfulness! and that got annoying really fast. Plus I couldn't really sympathize much with the main character because he just sort of struck me as whiny. Dude became Emperor and can't seem to find actual friends, and spends a lot of time moping around because of it.

Voices from Beyond is the latest Ghost hunters novel from Simon Green. I didn't dig it that much. It's basically starting to bug me that the books have all been the same thing over and over and over. Very little plot advancement, and the general theme is "team goes to haunted place, haunted place is SHOCKINGLY not what they thought, incredibly bad poo poo happens, guy takes off glasses and stares at it with glowing eyes, Everyone is in danger, no one dies or is injured and then the book ends". At least with the Drood series there's a vague idea of danger for the main characters. Nothing in this series so far.

Confessions and Origins are exactly what the titles say. Confessions is the first book, Origins is the second book that was recently released that gives a bigger backstory to the characters. Worth a read if you dug the original.

Hidden/Chosen were both pretty good. I enjoy this series, and reread Chosen because I couldn't remember wtf was going on at the beginning of Hidden.

Kill City Blues and The Getaway God were both pretty good. I had to reread KCB because I couldn't remember wtf was going on at the beginning of TGG, but TGG turned out to be pretty interesting. Kept the pace up through the book and left me wondering how in the hell they were going to finish the book. The ending was a bit abrupt but nowhere near as bad as the third books ending.

All in all, save for Bloodlight, it was a pretty good month.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

55: Empire of Man

56: Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Very much enjoyed it, even if I did peg one of the twists very early then forget about it til right at the end, and peg the other almost as soon as the character was introduced and spend the rest of the story basically thinking 'get on with it already'. Nonetheless, a good, interesting, lively book.

57: Priests of Mars by Graham McNiell.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
drat I wish I could read this much, but I just end up browsing forums.

Good on all of you!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thehomemaster posted:

drat I wish I could read this much, but I just end up browsing forums.

Good on all of you!

:hf: I'm with you brother

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

screenwritersblues posted:

41) Delancey: A Man, A Woman, A Restaurant, A Marriage by Molly Wizenberg: I wanted to like this book, but I didn't really like it. I don't know if it was the fact that it was about the opening of a restaurant or I just didn't expect it to be what it was, but there was just something about it that I didn't enjoy

September...

42) Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer: This was my first trilogy in a little over a year after reading the disappointing Hunger Games. After that I swore off trilogies all together, but something about this series just hooked me it. It was also my first foray into weird fiction. I really enjoyed this one, there was something somewhat off putting about it.

43) Authority by Jeff VanderMeer: While the second books of most trilogies fall short, the second book of the southern reach series, made me want to read more. This one was good, but a lot stranger than the first, which was a little off putting for me.

44) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: I read this because I've been wanting to read it for a while. I heard it was good, so I grabbed it last year from a big box club. When I heard that there was going to be a movie adapted from the book, I moved it up my list. When I realized that the movie was coming out next month, I decided that it was time to read it and I was glad that I did. The book was one of those books (for me anyway) that had me going from start to finish. I really hope that the movie is the same way.

45) Acception by Jeff VanderMeer: The final book of this series was the strangest of them all. I guess that this was a good thing, because of the fact that it kept me hooked.

46) Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs: What in the name of god did I just read? This was either written when Burroughs was heavily under the influence of something or he was just that insane.

45) Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line by Michael Gibney: I grabbed this after seeing it in the employee picks wall at the Strand. I kind of consider it to be a blind read (which reminds me that I should add it to that goodreads shelf that I made) and I really enjoyed it. I have a friend who's a pretty high up cook at a resturant in NYC and he tells me all the time it's not a fun job (especially during brunch). While I didn't believe him, after reading this book, I do believe everything he said.

Currently reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: My first time ever reading Bradbury (although my gut tells me that I should have went with 451 first), so things are going to be interesting.

Goal: 30/30

Year: 45/30

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

screenwritersblues posted:

46) Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs: What in the name of god did I just read? This was either written when Burroughs was heavily under the influence of something or he was just that insane.

It was both.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

September - 5:

38. The Quarry (Iain Banks)
39. Star of the Sea (Joseph O'Connor)
40. Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson)
41. Riotous Assembly (Tom Sharpe)
42. Vintage Stuff (Tom Sharpe)

This wasn't quite the month I planned out but there you go.

The Quarry was really enjoyable; I like Banks' style and he's very readable. A cast of flawed characters coming together to revisit their past through the eyes of an autistic boy who's struggling to deal with his father dying of cancer is a pretty good setting and story and Banks tells it well.

Star of the Sea was a beautiful book. The combination of viewpoints and styles which tell the story is clever, and the language in places is wonderful. The characters live and breathe with the reality of the Irish famine and the mass emigration to America and their internal contradictions bring home how complex an issue it was.

Snow Crash was fun and dumb. A nice change of pace from the last few books I've read.

Riotous Assembly and Vintage Stuff are two Tom Sharpe books from a collection of his my parents bought me for Christmas years ago. I'd never got around to reading them because I tried Vintage Stuff when I got them and in my younger days where I wanted to read about heroes and wizards and elves that kind of black farce stuff was way above me. Now though this is some funny, funny poo poo. Riotous Assembly is a savage satire of apartheid South Africa (Sharpe was deported for speaking out against it in the 60s) and the South African police in particular. Despite it being a comedy, there's this undercurrent of raw anger that comes through loud and clear. Vintage Stuff is much gentler, more of a send-up of adventure novels and the British middle and upper classes, but it's still good and very funny.

About halfway through this month I started reading Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang. I'm finding it heavy going, which is weird because the actual writing isn't very complex and the subject matter is something I'm interested in. I just never seem to make that much headway with it when I pick it up. Hopefully I should be able to knock it on the head for October and move on. Per the recommendation of someone in the thread I've picked up the new Naomi Klein which is set to make an appearance one or two books after Mao, so I'm looking forward to that.

Year so far:

01. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Robert Tressell)
02. Always Managing: My Autobiography (Harry Redknapp)
03. Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
04. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things that Happened (Allie Brosh)
05. Dracula (Bram Stoker)
06. The Drowned World (JG Ballard)
07. The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty (G.J. Meyer)
08. Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel)
09. The Politics (Aristotle)
10. The Prince (Niccolo Machiavelli)
11. Twelve Years a Slave (Solomon Northup)
12. The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)
13. If on a winter's night a traveller (Italo Calvino)
14. The Communist Manifesto (Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels)
15. The Age of Revolution: 1789-1848 (Eric Hobsbawm)
16. The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea (Yukio Mishima)
17. The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71 (Alistair Horne)
18. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
19. Homage to Catalonia (George Orwell)
20. Half Blood Blues (Esi Edugyan)
21. The Ottoman Empire: The Classical Age 1300-1600 (Halil Inalcik)
22. The Outsider (Albert Camus)
23. The Ottoman Empire: The Structure of Power 1300-1650 (Colin Imber)
24. Suleiman the Magnificent (André Clot)
25. Forbidden Colours (Yukio Mishima)
26. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
27. One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquéz)
28. On the Road (Jack Kerouac)
29. Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991 (Michael Azerrad)
30. Life and Death are Wearing Me Out (Mo Yan)
31. The Sound of Things Falling (Juan Gabriel Vásquez)
32. Dance Dance Dance (Haruki Murakami)
33. The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco)
34. What is Property? (P.J. Proudhon)
35. Oryx & Crake (Margaret Atwood)
36. When the Lights Went Out: What Really Happened in Britain in the Seventies (Andy Beckett)
37. No Logo (Naomi Klein)
38. The Quarry (Iain Banks)
39. Star of the Sea (Joseph O'Connor)
40. Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson)
41. Riotous Assembly (Tom Sharpe)
42. Vintage Stuff (Tom Sharpe)

Total: 42/60, 4+2/8 women, 6+2/8 non-white people, 16/20 non-fiction

Living Image fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 28, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 The Devils by Fyodor Dostoyevsky as translated by David Magarshack.
2 Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes
3 The Maltese Falcon by Dashiel Hammett
4 In the Midst of Life by Ambrose Bierce
5 Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers
6 Mortal Coils by Aldous Huxley
7 The Looking Glass War by John le Carré
8 The Card by Arnold Bennett
9 The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
10 Those Barren Leaves by Aldous Huxley
11 The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg
12 Virginibus Puerisque by Robert Louis Stevenson
13 Lady with a Lapdog and Other Stories by Anton Chekov as translated by David Magarshack
14 Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley
15 Epitaph of a Small Winner by Machado de Assis as translated by William L. Grossman
16 My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey
17 The Middle Age of Mrs. Eliot by Angus Wilson
18 Ultramarine by Malcolm Lowry
19 German Short Stories as selected by Penguin Duel Text
20 The Hidden Persuaders by Vance Packard
21 Maigret and the Hundred Gibbets by Georges Simeon as translated by Tony White
22 In Cold Blood by Truman Capote23 The Europeans by Henry James
24 Free Fall by William Golding
25 This is Not a Novel by David Markson
26 Morte D'Urban by J. F. Powers
27 The Queen of Spades and Other Stories (The Negro of Peter the Great, Dubrovsky and The Captain's Daughter) by Alexander Pushkin as translated by Rosemary Edmonds.
28 Under Wester Eyes by Joseph Corad
29 Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
30 Nostromo bu Joseph Conrad
31 Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert as translated by Alan Russel
32 A Woman's Life by Guy de Maupassant as translasted by H.N.P Sloman
33 The Ascent of F6 by W.H. Auden and Christopher Isherwood
34 The Aspern Papers and Other Stories (The Real Thing, The Papers) by Henry James
35 Washington Square by Henry James
36 The Blithedale Romance by Nathanial Hawthorne
37 What Maisie Knew by Henry James
38 La Bête Humaine by Émile Zola as translated by Leonard Tancock
39 The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard
40 Rembradnt's Hat and Other Stories (The Silver Crown; Man in the Drawer; The Letter; In Retirement; Notes from a Lady at a Dinner Party; My Son the Murderer; Talking Horse) by Bernard Malamud
41 Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov as translated by David Magarshack
42 Illness as a Metaphor and Aids and its Metaphors by Susan Sontag
43 The Wrong Set and Other Stories (Fresh Air Fiend; Union Reuinion; Saturnalia; Realpolitk; A Story of Historical Interest; Crazy Crowd; A Visit in Bad Taste; Raspberry Jam; A Significant Experience; Mother's Sense of Fun; Et Donna Ferentes) by Angus Wilson
44 Billy Bud, Sailor and Other Stories (Bartleby; Cock-A-Doodle Doo!; The Encantedas; The Bell-Tower; Benito Cereno; John Marr; Daniel Orme by Herman Mellville
45 The Arrow of Gold by Joseph Conrad
46 Daisy Miller and Other Stories (Pandora; The Patagonia; Four Meetings by Henry James
47 Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol as translated by David Magarshack
48 The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
49 Mulligan Stew by Gilbert Sorrentino
50 Indian Summer by William Dean Howell
51 Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man by Thomas Mann, as translated by Denver Lindley sometimes it feels that Mann is just showing off his research.
52 The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever
53 New Grub Street by George Gissing
54 Adeline Mowbray by Amelia Opie
55 The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald
56 Plagiarism and Originality by Alexander Lindey
57 Sketches from a Hunter's Album by Ivan Turgenev as translated by Richard Freeborn
58 Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford
59 Mario and the Magician and Other Stories (A Man and his Dog, Disorder and Early Sorrow, The Transposed Heads, The Tables of Law The Black Swan by Thomas Mann as translated by H.T. Lowe-Porter
60 Saint Joan by George Bernard Shaw
61 One Day More by Joseph Conrad
62 A Perfect Spyby John leCarré
63 The Inheritors by Ford Maddox Ford and Joseph Conrad
64 The Secret Sharer by Joseph Conrad
65 Tales of Hoffmanby E.T.A. Hoffman as translated by R.J. Hollingdale
66 The Man who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
67 The Alter of the Deadby Henry James. Another very short story. Not the best James I'v read.
68 The Recognitions by William Gaddis
69 A Reader's Guide to the Recognitions by Steven Moore
70 Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster
71 Prufrock, Poems, The Hollow Men, & Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. Eliot
72 The Cocktail Party by T.S. Eliot
73 Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen as translated by Peter Watts
74 The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
75 The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad
76 Dreadful Pleasures: An Anatomy of Modern Horror by James B. Twitchell
77 Flowers for the Judge by Marjory Allingham
78 Dispatches by Michael Herr
79 Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

80 The Honourable Schoolboy by John le Carré. The post Tinker Tailor Smiley has to piece together the service he exploded by revealing its corruption. He tried his best but it goes wrong, mostly because of those bastard Americans, as you'd expect from a le Carré. About a hundred pages too long for my interest.
81 The Outcast of the Island by Joseph Conrad. drat, what an ending. I don't care about all these arab pirates, but they take up a relatively small place in the book.
82 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. Makes a lot more sense on second reading.

♀ 8/20
Σ 82/60

Obviously the Conrad thing continues. It's the only thing I can stomach reading at this point. I'm currently reading Secret Agent again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Apparantly I forgot to update.

So: books read in April:

20. The Name of the Rose ---- Umberto Eco
21. Retribution Falls ---- Chris Wooding
22. The Luminaries ---- Eleanor Catton
23. Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History ---- Ben Mezrich

Books read in May so far:

24. Jurassic Park ---- Michael Crichton
25. Siddhartha ---- Herman Hesse
26. The Golem and the Jinni ---- Helene Wecker

So, lots of great books. Umberto Eco was excellent, I enjoyed it although I did skim quite a bit of descriptions. Retribution falls is just braindead pulp fiction. The Luminaries was awesome and I loved how the myserty was slowly revealed (gradually instead of the "give a big explanation at the end of the book"). Sex on the moon was enjoyable despite not being very well written. Jurassic Park, I still haven't seen the movie, but I guess I should. Great book, but the mathematician is a narcistic prick. Siddhartha is my first novel by a German author, I'm still thinking about it. The Golem and the Jinni might very well be the best novel I read this year, I love how the 2 protagonists are so vastly different despite being in a similar situation of being in a society they did not know and had trouble to understand.

Welp, I forgot updating this.

Rest of May:

27. Pedro Paramo ---- Juan Rulfo
28. Bloodchild and Other Stories ---- Octavia E. Butler
29. Skin Game ---- Jim Butcher

June

30. Stories of Eva Luna ---- Isabel Allende (Dutch translation)
31. Shogun ---- James Clavell

July

32. Pact Pt 1 ---- J. McCrae
33. The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare ---- G. K. Chesterton

August

34. The King Must Die ---- Mary Renault
35. When You Are Engulfed In Flames ---- David Sedaris

September

36. The Habitation of the Blessed ---- Catherynne M. Valente
37. Little Green Men ---- Christopher Buckley
38. The Crying of Lot 49 ---- Thomas Pyncheon
39. The Scar ---- China Miéville
40. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales ---- Oliver Sacks
41. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love ---- Raymond Carver
42. The Old Man and the Sea ---- Ernest Hemingway

I'm reading a lot less than the previous two years, but I'm still optimistic I'll hit my target of 52 books. Only 10 more books in 3 months, it should be doable even though I'm no longer a student and instead will spend my time earning money from now on.

That said, the best book of this bunch was The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, the various stories were excellent and the analysis useful. You can't really imagine how those people must think (he picked mostly cases where the patient did not and/or could not realize their way of thinking is not normal) yet it's quite a fun excercise to try.

None of the books really stood out in very positive or negative sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

January
  1. Body Bags (Body of Evidence, #1) by Christopher Golden.
  2. Communication Skills Toolkit: Unlocking The Secrets Of Tertiary Success by Jane Grellier and Veronica Goerke.
  3. First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4) by Zoë Sharp.
  4. Bartender by Dan O'Brien.
  5. Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres.
    February
  6. Nevermore - Novel of Love, Loss, & Edgar Allan Poe by David Niall Wilson
  7. Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan
    March
  8. Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie
  9. The Lady in the Lake (Philip Marlowe, #4) by Raymond Chandler
  10. Notes from the Internet Apocalypse by Wayne Gladstone
  11. Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black
  12. Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw
    April
  13. Angry Ghosts (Angry Ghosts, #1) by F. Allen Farnham
  14. Brave Men Run (Sovereign Era, #1) by Matthew Wayne Selznick
    May
  15. Zombies Vs. Unicorns edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier
  16. Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates
  17. Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley
  18. Carrie by Stephen King
  19. The Happiest Days of Our Lives by Wil Wheaton
  20. How to Archer: The Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and Also Cocktails Ever Written by Sterling Archer
    June
  21. Intercultural Communication: An Advanced Resource Book for Students by Adrian Holliday
  22. Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8) by L. Frank Baum
  23. The Makers of Rome: Nine Lives by Plutarch
  24. Illweed by Jay Mooers
    July
  25. Arcanum 101 by Mercedes Lackey
  26. The Outsider by Arlene Hunt
  27. One, Two, Buckle My Shoe (Hercule Poirot, #22) by Agatha Christie
  28. Destination: Void (Destination: Void, #1) by Frank Herbert
  29. The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) by Barbara Hambly
    August
  30. The Fall of the Roman Republic: Six Lives by Plutarch
  31. The Long Mars (The Long Earth, #3) by Terry Pratchett
  32. From the Gracchi to Nero: A History of Rome 133 BC to AD 68 by H.H. Scullard
    September
  33. Tunnel Vision And Other Stories From The Edge by Tanya Eby
  34. Justice and Her Brothers by Virginia Hamilton
  35. The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
  36. Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy by Emily Bazelon
  37. The Little Sister (Philip Marlowe, #5) by Raymond Chandler
  38. The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9) by L. Frank Baum
  39. Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23) by Agatha Christie
  40. The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi
Total: 40/52
Female authors: 17/24
Non-fiction: 9/12

Goodreads.

Tunnel Vision was pretty unremarkable. A bit creepy, but probably not as much as the author intended. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't end up remembering much of it. I did like the setting though, of an old asylum in the early 20th century with a network of tunnels underneath. The short stories in the same book all suffer from the problem of having an intriguing setup that builds up quite nicely but then an abrupt ending that doesn't really pay off. The Shedow in particular is nice and creepy right up until the ending where suddenly it loses all its tension. After all the build-up it basically ends with "And then the monster killed her! The end!"

Justice and Her Brothers is a weird book. I almost stopped reading after the first two chapters, but kept going because it was pretty short. Can't say it really paid off though. At first it seems like it's just going to be a fairly unremarkable story about childhood or something, but then it gradually starts to seem like something very unpleasant is about to happen. I felt like Thomas was going to turn out to be a budding serial killer or something. But then it takes another turn with the introduction of the psychic neighbour and Justice's own psychic powers, and then the revelation that Thomas (and maybe Levi?) also have psychic powers. But then before anything can really happen it's suddenly over without any apparent resolution.

I don't know what I was supposed to have got from it, and I don't understand what actually happened in the end. Justice herself was also weird, in that she was apparently supposed to be 11, but was written in a way that made me think she was half that age. And that only after the first chapter, where I initially thought she was an adult. She was written very oddly.

When I first saw the title "The Healer's War" I assumed it was going to be some generic fantasy "chosen-one in a world of sword and sorcery" type of story, so I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out not to be. The book is broken into three sections (although the third section is basically just an epilogue), and I felt that the second section (the most heavily fictionalised) was a little weak, but the first is good enough that the whole thing holds up.

My only major criticism of the story is that I don't really think the supernatural elements were necessary. The author states that she felt that the protagonist would clearly have died in part two without the magic, but I don't see that myself and I think the book would have been better off without it, just because it has so little impact on anything.

Sticks and Stones was disappointing. The first two parts of the book are set out in a way that makes them hard to follow, with three real life stories of bullying split over six chapters, with the second part of each story appearing in part two of the book so you have time to forget who was who and what was going on before you get back to it. Also it seems that Bazelon struggles to connect the points she wants to make to the stories she's relating. The third part is the weakest though, as it seems really unfocused and meandering, and she doesn't seem to back up a lot of what she says and ends up with a very weak conclusion that comes across as basically "I dunno, maybe Facebook could be more pro-active about stopping bullying?" Basically I feel like there wasn't really much information in this book, and what was there wasn't presented in a way that made any sort of point, other than "bullying is bad and we should probably do something about it but also there are other problems too."

I quite liked The Alchemist, but I didn't find it quite believable that the mayor and the wizard would not want to immediately save the town. I understand putting their own interests first and how their plan worked, but it seems like they would have made themselves celebrated heroes by just doing the right thing and would never have had to worry about their position again. Their actual plan seems almost evil for the sake of being evil. Not nearly as good as Pump Six.

The Little Sister, The Scarecrow of Oz and Evil Under the Sun were all good but they're all more of the same from their respective series' and I don't really have anything to say about them.

I also started reading Sworn to Raise and got about a quarter of the way through it just because I was entertained by how bad it was. It's not a long book though. Kind of like a poor man's Harry Potter, but every flaw in the Harry Potter series is magnified. Especially egregious are the bizarre inconsistencies in the setting and tone. For example, the story seems to be written for children, right up until the point where the protagonist has to sneak out of her room to avoid being raped. It's not even like it's implied only, it's just clearly stated "It wasn't the best place to sleep, but it was better than being raped" (actual quote). And the tone of the narrative doesn't even change in that section. It's almost presented as a minor nuisance, like the protagonist is weighing up the options "I don't want to sleep in the barn, but on the other hand, rape. Hmm..." (not an actual quote). But then after that it goes back to schoolyard bullying being the biggest problem she faces. It seems like the sort of thing a young teenager might write if they were trying for mature and serious but had only ever read YA fiction.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mr. Squishy posted:

78 Dispatches by Michael Herr. Interesting. Basically just a soup of vietnam for 200 pages. Obviously a cornerstone in forming our impressions of the war.

Michael Herr also wrote the screenplays for Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. It's crazy reading his memoirs and seeing which events he experienced were written into the films.

The other interesting thing about it, is that when it was published (in 1977), it was one of the few books that actually dealt with and explained the American experience in Vietnam. Due to various political and societal reasons of the time, most people kept quiet about their experience. Obviously, we have a much better understand of what happened during the war, but it was pretty groundbreaking for its time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DannyTanner posted:

41. Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
So good I'm tempted to start reading it again. Some of the talking in the AZ desert seemed too go on too long at times, but I absolutely loved this book. I started reading this on paperback, but quickly switched to Kindle and it was much more enjoyable.

Idon't own an e-reader, so I had to tough it out like a trooper. Got a lot of strange looks on the bus whenever I pulled out this goddanmed tome of a book to read through. Worth it though.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

elbow posted:

August - 55/52
49. Wild Fell, by Michael Rowe. 3/5
50. Schrodinger's Telephone, by Marion Stein. 3/5
51. The Walking Dead Vol 21, by Robert Kirkman. 4/5
52. The Anatomy of Motive, by John Douglas. 4/5
53 and 54. Y: The Last Man volumes 1 and 2, by Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra. 4/5
55. The Giver, by Lois Lowry. 3/5

September - 67/70
56 - 60. Y: The Last Man volumes 3 - 7, by Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra. 4/5
61. Shift, by Hugh Howey. Someone in my book club recommended this because it gives more backstory to Wool, but I mostly found it sluggish and boring. 3/5
62. Annihilation, by Jeff VanderMeer. People seem to either love this or hate it, mostly based on the language. I loved it, plowed through it, and can't wait for the other two books in the trilogy to arrive in my mailbox. It's been a while since I read a book that creeped me out this much. 4/5
63 - 65. Y: The Last Man volumes 8 - 10, by Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra. Wish they had wrapped up the series a bit better, the ending was dissatisfying on a lot of levels. Still a fantastic read. 4/5
66. Kingdom Come, by JG Ballard. I read Crash before and hated it, but wanted to give Ballard another go, and this seemed like a great place to do it. I was wrong. Ballard is just too much extreme essay and not enough plot for me. 3/5
67. Authority, by Jeff VanderMeer. I didn't enjoy this as much as Annihilation simply because of the setting, and found it hard to follow along when the protagonist starts losing his mind. It kept me interested enough to read the final book in the trilogy, though, and had some genuinely creepy moments despite its relatively mundane setting. 3/5

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Prolonged Shame posted:

1) Winters Heart - Robert Jordan
2) Inferno - Dan Brown
3) The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
4) Andrew Johnson - Anette Gordon-Reed
5) The Silver Star - Jeanette Walls
6) King Henry VI Part II - William Shakespeare
7) The Godfather - Mario Puzo
8) The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America - Erik Larson
9) The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
10) Crossroads of Twilight - Robert Jordan
11) Divergent - Veronica Roth
12) 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus - Charles C. Mann
13) King Henry VI Part III - William Shakespeare
14) Grant - Jean Edward Smith
15) The Iliad - Homer
16) The Princess of Cleves - Madame de La Fayette
17) Knife of Dreams - Robert Jordan
18) Insurgent - Veronica Roth
19) Rutherford B. Hayes - Hans L. Trefousse
20) The Aeneid - Virgil
21) The Forest - Edward Rutherfurd
22) The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
23) The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature - Matt Ridley
24) Allegiant - Veronica Roth
25) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
26) Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President - Candice Millard
27) Henry VIII - William Shakespeare
28) A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail - Bill Bryson
29) Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
30) The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker
31) The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo
32) Roots: The Saga of an American Family - Alex Haley
33) Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
34) King John - William Shakespeare
35) Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith - John Krakauer
36) A Memory of Light - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
37) One Life at a Time, Please - Edward Abbey
38) The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith AKA J.K. Rowling
39) Pompeii - Robert Harris
40) I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban - Malala Yousafzai
41) Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
42) Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 - Stephen Puleo
43) A People's History of the United States: 1492 to Present - Howard Zinn
44) Chester Alan Arthur - Zachary Karabell
45) The Autobiography of Malcolm X - Malcolm X
46) The Winters Tale - William Shakespeare
47) A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
48) Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks
49) Dark Summit: The True Story of Everest's Most Controversial Season - Nick Heil
50) The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth - Matthew Algeo
51) The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - Robert M. Edsel
52) Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel
53) Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
54) Delta of Venus - Anais Nin
55) The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love and Olive Oil in the South of France - Carol Drinkwater
56) The Dinner - Herman Koch
57) Benjamin Harrison - Charles W. Calhoun
58) Big Trouble - Dave Barry
59) Titus Andronicus - William Shakespeare
60) Adam Bede - George Eliot
61) The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
62) Two Rings: A Story of Love and War - Millie Werber
63) The Walking Dead: Book One - Robert Kirkman
64) Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
65) The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood
66) The Third Chimpanzee: The Evolution and Future of the Human Animal - Jared Diamond
67) Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd
68) Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
69) Dune - Frank Herbert
70) Survival in Auschwitz - Primo Levi
71) The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire at the Dawn of the American Century - Scott Miller
72) A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki
73) Measure for Measure - William Shakespeare
74) The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
75) The Grand Sophy - Georgette Heyer
76) The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides
77) Mayflower - Nathaniel Philbrick
78) The Two Gentlemen of Verona - William Shakespeare
79) The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt - Edmund Morris
80) Napoleon's Pyramids - William Dietrich
81) The Constant Princess - Philippa Gregory

Awful month for reading. I moved cross country and am working on volume II of the Teddy Roosevelt bio, but I should have finished more.

82) His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik: I'm usually not a fan of alternate histories and I'm not big on dragons, but I really enjoyed this book. I will probably keep on with the series.

83) Cymbeline - William Shakespeare: Not his best work. Apparently experts suspect another playwright helped him with this one and you can tell.

Overall:83/100

Sub-goals:
Presidential biographies: 9/12
Books over 600 pages: 15/15 - done!
Non-fiction books (not counting prez bios): 18/20

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
September!

110. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
111. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage - Haruki Murakami
112. Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures - Walter Moers
113. The Kindly Ones (Sandman #9) - Neil Gaiman
114. The Wake (Sandman #10) - Neil Gaiman
115. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
116. The Dispossessed - Ursula K. Le Guin
117. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
118. The Bone Clocks - David Mitchell
119. Acceptance - Jeff Vandermeer
120. Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
121. Half a King - Joe Abercrombie
122. The Accursed - Joyce Carol Oates

Due to a heavy workload this month, I read less than usual, but I’m still on target if I want to reach 150 books by year’s end. (A whole lot of that reading was the first week of the month - I had some vacation time that was mostly spent sick in my bed reading.)

The best two books I read this month were The Dispossessed and Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures. These authors - Ursula K. LeGuin and Walter Moers - are really impressing me with their consistency. I’ve been devouring their books like crazy and their invention shows no sign of faltering. LeGuin wrote a tale of a scientist on a utopian moon colony, torn between the socialist ways of his world and his desire to further science. It is so drat brilliant, how she talks about society, people, how they relate to each other - she’s frighteningly smart. Moers, on the other hand, took me further into his wonderfully batty world Zamonia. His other books - The City of Dreaming Books and The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear - were massive and massively entertaining, and Rumo was no exception. It tells the story of Rumo, a Wolperting (half-dog, half-deer) who sets out to become a hero and goes on a quest into a mysterious underground realm to save the rest of his species. It was so much fun you guys. So much fun.

Other stuff I enjoyed this month: The Bone Clocks was an interesting read from David Mitchell, and I enjoyed the chameleon nature of his writing as he jumped from narrator to narrator over the span of the book, but the sci-fi elements ended up taking over near the end. Half a King was a nice little bite-sized Abercrombie book, with his typical violence toned down for the young adult crowd. It still had his signature moral ambiguity, though it’s a solid adventure story aside from that. Finally, Joyce Carol Oates’s The Accursed is a monster of a gothic novel, set in Princeton circa 1905, following a family that has come under a terrible curse. It weaves dozens of characters together, including historical figures like Woodrow Wilson, Mark Twain, and Upton Sinclair. A really good read.

Oh and Harry Potter and Sandman are cool too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

57: Priests of Mars by Graham McNiell.

(could swear I posted this already)

57/58: Priests of Mars and Lords of Mars by Graham McNiell. Solid black library 40k grimdark, with an interesting potential-horror extra that all those uncountable millions of servitors might be sapient. Looking forward to the final one in the trilogy.

59/60: Rivers of London and Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch. I've been meaning to read these, and jonesing for police-procedural-with-magic, and they scratch the itch fairly well. Enjoyable, not too predictable, and starting to find their feet away from the a-little-too-close-to-Dresden start. Well worth reading if you like that sort of thing, but still doesn't quite do what I was hoping for in fantasy police procedural. I was looking for something more in 'everyone knows there's magic'.

61: Whispers Under Ground. Continuing Aaronovitch's series.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

September.

56. The Republic of Thieves. Scott Lynch. The book was really fun but kind of random at some points. Pretty good anyway.
57. 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot. Richard Wiseman. Not bad for a self-help book, at least this one has backup in actual research.
58. Nación TV. Fabrizio Mejía Madrid. Entertainment resume of the history of television in Mexico.
59. The Currents of Space. Isaac Asimov. Kind of bland.
60. The Believing Brain. Michael Shermer. Awesome book, even if some of the science is kind of sketchy.
61. No Country For Old Men. Cormac McCarthy. Great book, the story is loving awesome.
62. Through The Gates Of The Silver Key. H.P. Lovecraft. Short, kind of weird.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Spadoink posted:

31. The Yiddish Policeman's Union - Michael Chabon
32. River of Shadows - Robert V.S. Redick
33. Night of the Swarm - Robert V.S. Redick
34. The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck
35. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
36. Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
37. Persuasion - Jane Austen
38. The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer
39. Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

40. The White Bone - Barbara Gowdy
41. The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden - Jonas Jonasson
42. Sylvanus Now - Donna Morrissey
43. The Birth House - Ami McKay
44. The Face of Another - Kobo Abe
45. Through Black Spruce - Joseph Boyden
46. World Without End - Ken Follett

The White Bone was by far Barbara Gowdy's best work that I have read. Amazing, really - Barbara tells the story of a family of elephants, from the point of view of the elephants themselves, imagining them as intelligent and communicative creatures. I thought the premise sounded so lame when I originally was recommended this book about 2-3 years ago, but it is absolutely incredible. Add it to your list if you're looking for more non-American, non-male, non-lovely authors to read :)

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden was charming and entertaining. Very much in the vein of Jonas' other work, "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared."

Sylvanus Now and The Birth House were my 'longing-for-home' books, as I'm a Newfoundlander and spent a decade in Nova Scotia. The Birth House was the better story of the two, set in Scot's Bay, Nova Scotia, the hometown of my bestest university friend, and a place dear to my heart. Sylvanus Now was great for giving a sense of outport fishing life, and the evolution of the outport and dissolution of the fishing industry in Newfoundland.

The Face of Another was absolute garbage - the premise is interesting, but the 40+ years that have elapsed since it was written have caused some serious cultural drift to set in.

Through Black Spruce is probably already showing up on CanLit/Multicultural Lit course lists, and for good reason. Literary and engaging, this is the story of Annie and Will Bird, niece and uncle, and their journey. The story travels from Moosonee to New York, from deep in wild of James Bay to under the Gardiner in Toronto. I am now reading The Orenda and am equally spell bound.

World Without End was about 500 pages and 60 awkward sex scenes too long. The writing was terrible, full of "tell, don't show," and so repetitive that I assumed Ken Follett was writing for the +60 year old crowd with no memory. I can't remember "The Pillars of the Earth" being this bad, but it was written about 20 years before World Without End, so maybe his writing has devolved.

Spadoink fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I've had a rough past two months because of tackling War and Peace. One more and I've met my goal for the year, though.

57. Carthage by Joyce Carol Oates- This book was pretty boring. It probably could have been only 200 pages.
58. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris- Probably the worst in the series. Harris had an end in mind that she wanted to get to and just kind of rushed this, I think.
59. Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire- I'm fascinated by the Rwandan Genocide and this book was very interesting because it gives a lot of background of what was happening in the UN.
60. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline- Run of the mill “thriller. A lot of stuff that doesn't even make sense happens. It was fine to read while traveling.
61. Homicide: A Year of Killing on the Streets by David Simon- Amazing. I can't recommend Simon enough.
62. Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King- Really did not enjoy this and I am a big King fan. I just thought all of the characters (save the psycho) were boring as hell. Parts of the plot make no sense (and it's not even supernatural).
63. Coraline by Neil Gaiman- really liked this. It was haunting and cute at the same time. I really can't imagine reading it as a kid, though. I think it would have scared the crap out of me then.
64. Bad Blood: Crisis in the American Red Cross by Judith Reitman- Very interesting, but pretty outdated now.
65. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy- This was honestly not half as hard to read as what people had led me to believe. Pierre is probably one of my favorite characters in a book ever. I just love how bumbling and naive he manages to be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

61: Whispers Under Ground. Continuing Aaronovitch's series.

61/62: Whispers Under Ground and Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch. This series continues to improve and mature in a very satisfying way. It's quick, easy and readable, with an interesting magic system and fun (if occasionally stupid) characters - plus some interesting long-term plots if my inferences from the most recent book are correct... Looking forward to the next one. Roll on November.

63: Valour and Vanity by Mary Robinette Kowal. Continuing the Glamourists series. Not started yet.

e: Finished Valour and Vanity was, as the rest of the series, very good. Strong, believable heist novel, well-told in the period style it aimed for, generally very enjoyable. I need to read more of this author.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 8, 2014

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Aphra Bane posted:

18) Community Development in an Uncertain World - Jim Ife
19) Animate Earth - Stephan Harding
20) Iwenhe Tyerrtye - Margaret Kemarre Turner
21) Ariel - Sylvia Plath
22) Welcome to My Country - Laklak Burarrwanga
23) The Misogyny Factor - Anne Summers
24) Green Heart - Alice Hoffman

25) The Princess Bride - William Goldman
26) The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories - Angela Carter
27) The Plains - Gerald Murnane
28) Practice Skills in Social Work - Jane Maidment

5 books behind :arghfist:

The Princess Bride was a re-read. Still as funny and charming as the first time I read it. The Bloody Chamber was fun. I read about half of the stories a year prior and just now got to finishing it. The writing is fantastic at times, but few of the stories were very memorable, unfortunately. The Plains was brilliant. It was the first time I've ever read a book that gave me an almost tangible sense that it was a classic. Probably the most well-written book I'll read all year. It even managed to make reading the word "plains" over a hundred times somehow not torturous. And Practice Skills was a textbook. It was pretty good, I guess.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

64: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. A reread, but I've decided to finally get round to reading Republic of Thieves, which i'll do after I've finishe Red Seas Under Red Skies. TLoLL is, as I remembered it, very good, but I hadn't recalled Lynch being quite a brutal as this. Very good, very interesting characters, very visceral, and intriguing world building with a lot of room for questions to be asked and answered and interesting things to use.

65: Red Seas Under Red Skies. So far so good.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I realise this is a ridiculous time to join this year's reading challenge, but what the hell. I bought a Kindle earlier this year, mostly just to make reading while commuting to work somewhat viable. One of the best purchases I've done I think, I had forgotten how much fun reading can be.

This is what I've read so far in 2014, and yes I'm aware my reading list contains a lot of straight up crap:

1. A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin: It's not the worst book in the series so far, though I'm still alternating between "oh god this chapter never ends and who is this person again?" and "holy poo poo holy poo poo HOLY poo poo".
2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman: This didn't really grab me at all. It wasn't bad, but I also didn't care about anyone or anything in it.
3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: Read these because I thought the film(s) were alright. Was pleasantly surprised, actually. Not really great literature by any means, but it was an entertaining read.
4. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins: See above.
5. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins: See above.
6. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien: Should have read these years ago, but never got around to it. Overall enjoyable, glad I read them. Unfortunately it felt a bit like a chore because I (obviously) already knew the story, and they weren't captivating enough to make up for that.
7. The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien: See above.
8. The Return of the King by JRR Tolkien: See above.
9. Gone by Michael Grant: This series is surprisingly not terrible, even though I'm technically far too old to admit I read them. The fifth book was pretty dull but the overall ending was actually alright, all things considered. Enjoyable-ish read, but probably wouldn't recommend them.
10. Hunger by Michael Grant: See above.
11. Lies by Michael Grant: See above.
12. Plague by Michael Grant: See above.
13. Fear by Michael Grant: See above.
14. Light by Michael Grant: See above.
15. Watership Down by Richard Adams: Really enjoyed it! Engaging, fun and sad, even cried a bit at the end. Would re-read.
16. Atlantis by Robert Doherty: This started off really good and then got progressively more dull the further I got. You really get the sense the author changed his mind halfway through and figured he'd turn it into a series instead of a single book. It was pretty good overall, but I haven't read any more of the series (yet).
17. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare: I'm not at all proud to admit I read these, and I don't really think they're very good: they're fairly predictable and the story works out more or less exactly like you expect. Nevertheless I read all six of them embarrassingly quickly so uh, I like terrible YA books apparently. They're easy to read and fairly engaging despite everything else that's wrong with them.
18. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare: See above.
19. City of Glass by Cassandra Clare: See above.
20. City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare: See above.
21. City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare: See above.
22. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare: See above.
23. Divergent by Veronica Roth: This was a load of crap and I've no idea why they would make a film of it.
24. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks: This started off strong and then got boring. By the end I was happy just to finish.
25. The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov: This wasn't bad, but I didn't think think it was great. I really liked the plot idea (moody detective has to cooperate with a humanoid robot to solve crime) but the way it was executed wasn't as captivating as I'd hoped.
26. Wool by Hugh Howey: This was on sale so I got it. I actually really liked this series up until the last book, which I didn't think were as strong as some of the others (#3 and #4 in particular). Still a rather enjoyable read.
27. Proper Gauge by Hugh Howey: See above.
28. Casting Off by Hugh Howey: See above.
29. The Unraveling by Hugh Howey: See above.
30. The Stranded by Hugh Howey: See above.
31. Bossypants by Tina Fey: Read this because why not. Can I count it as a book? The first half was really good and then it was all about babies and Jesus and I kind of lost interest. Some good bits still, though.
32. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card: Didn't see the film. Some parts were a bit slow and the ending was slightly unfulfilling, but overall an alright read.
33. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: Again, didn't see the film. Despite not really wanting to like this I kinda did. The plot is predictable as poo poo and characters are ridiculous, but I still kind of cared about them. I don't think the book is great by any means, but I enjoyed reading it.

This adds up to 33 books, so my 2014 final goal is going to be an even 40. :toot:

oliven fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 12, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Guards! Guards! By Terry Pratchett:

A fun romp with Sam Vimes and Lady Sibil as dragons go apeshit in Ankh Morpork.

Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling:

An awful book. Stirling is a terrible writer, but he can spin up a great plot for mindless pulp and his pacing is pretty solid. I enjoyed it greatly and apologize for nothing :colbert:

If a stupid macho pulp rag full of painful stereotypes, sex, and sword fights sounds fun, go for it.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy:

Very good, horribly depressing, and the ending irked me. Compelling enough that I tossed a second mag. on my belt while reading without really thinking about it.

Dunno what this brings me up to until I check my post history, but life has been stupid busy.

E: 12, I did read The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul which was very fun, but weaker than the first Dirk Gently. And I think I may have read a couple more but hosed if I remember them right now.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 13, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

64: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. A reread, but I've decided to finally get round to reading Republic of Thieves, which i'll do after I've finishe Red Seas Under Red Skies. TLoLL is, as I remembered it, very good, but I hadn't recalled Lynch being quite a brutal as this. Very good, very interesting characters, very visceral, and intriguing world building with a lot of room for questions to be asked and answered and interesting things to use.

65: Red Seas Under Red Skies. So far so good.

65: Red Seas Under Red Skies. Not much to say about this as it's a reread, but again it was as good as I remembered it being, which is pretty darn good, and there's more intriguing and disturbing worldbuilding than I remembered, which is also good (the Parlour Passage, for instance, hit just the right level of WTF creepy for me).

66: The Republic of Thieves. Not actually started it yet.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

13. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett:

An unflappable protagonist righting wrongs with judicious application of string, a cast iron frying pan, and a horde of belligerent brawling sidekicks. And a toad. One of the more fun Discworld books.

I read the Green Heid scene to my kids and they now want to read the whole book :)

14. Starfish by Peter Watts:

I picked it up a while back on recommendation from somewhere in the book barn. Was not let down and it was a very solid book that kept me reading and reluctant to stop.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 18, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

66: The Republic of Thieves. Not actually started it yet.

66: The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. I'm slightly ashamed that it's taken me so drat long to read this, but I wanted to give it time for a reread of the first two before I started it. And it was worth it, because I'm not sure I would have got a proper understanding of what was going on without it. What was going on was pretty great. I really liked the parallel stories, I loved getting some more information about the Bondsmagi and how the magic works (and possibly its impacts on the world in the dim and distant past). But... something was a little lacking. There wasn't the usual racing shocking climax, other than a little bit of weekend at Bernie's stuff that I enjoyed. The book built up a lot but let down a little too slowly. It definitely had its moments though, especially the really, really obvious misdirection, although it wasn't clear what it was FOR. The Bondsmage chapter where one told the other 'just focus really hard on Locke Lamora' or whatever... clearly something was afoot.

It was really enjoyable, but there's part of me that wonders if this was intended to be a trilogy and we're winding up with 2 extra books of filler due to the 5-book contract. Fun nonetheless.

67: Not sure yet arg I hate picking books.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

76 - Mira Grant - Deadline. The sequel was better than I was expecting. I might have to read the third at some point.

77 - Brian Keene - The Conqueror Worms. You would think a story about massive man-eating earth worms would be awesome. Evidently not when Brian Keene writes it.

78 - Jim Butcher - Skin Game. It's pretty much more of the same and I am okay with that.

79 - John Ajvide Lindqvist - Little Star. Nothing like the back of the book. Dark, creepy and intellligent. Perhaps my favorite read of the summer so far.

80 - Michael Connelly - The Black Ice. Run of the mill mystery/thriller.

81. Clive Cussler- Poseidon's Arrow. My first Cussler book. It was fun. But Cussler might me the sort of thing I read when I run out of other options.

82 Timothy Zahn - Heir to the Empire. Read this when I was in fourth grade and it changed my world. Rereading it now, it was just okay. When there was nothing but 3 Star Wars films it was a revolution, now it's just another Star Wars story.

83 Jeff Strand - Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary. I comedy horror novel. While entertaining, it's a little too silly to be great.

84 Harlan Coben - Six Years. If you've ever read any Harlan Coben novel before, then you've read this one.

85 Jeff Strand - Single White Psychopath:Seeks Same. Another comedy horror novel. While entertaining, it is a little too silly to be great.

86 Alex Kotlowitz - There Are No Children Here. An amazing look into the lives of people (particular children) living in the projects in the late 80s. Heartbreaking.

87 Jeff Strand - Kumquat A romantic comedy that was a decent comedy as well as decently romantic. I loved reading this book, and it is one I've passed on to a lot of people already.

88 Lawrence Block - The Burglar Who Counted The Spoons. I love, love, love Block. I especially love his Burglar books. This is a bit more comedy than the others, but still a treat.

89. Andy McDermott - The Covenant of Genesis. Another fine adventure novel, but it didn't excite me the way earlier books have. It might be getting old for me?

90 Terry Goodkind - Soul of the Fire. How can you tell if a Terry Goodkind character is evil? Just ask "are they a rapist?"

91 Peter Jenkins - A Walk Across America. A little preachy towards the end, but I really love these hiking travelogues.

92 Vince Flynn - The Third Option. It was absolutely average in terms of spy thrillers.

93 Jeff Strand - Casket for Sale (Only used Once): Okay, so I picked up 4 of these Andrew Mayhem books for cheap on the kindle. Still not terrible, just too silly.

94 Kevin Hearne - Hammered. It's not Harry Dresden, but there is something satisfying and fun about people on a mission to kill a god for being a dick.

95 Robert McCammon - Stinger. This book is totally 80s, and so much damned fun because of it. Lots of classic 80's tropes, aliens, a dome, street gangs at war. Love, love, loved it.

96 Brent Weeks - The Black Prism. What would it be like if Brandon Sanderson combined fantasy fiction with DC Comics "Lantern Corps"? It would be like this.

97 Hannu Rajaniemi - The Quantum Thief. Any enjoyment I could have gotten from this book was stripped away by how much work you need to invest understanding what the hell was going on.

98 F. Paul Wilson - Legacies. Another Repairman Jack book. It casts away the monster/horror stuff from the first book and focuses more on problem solving and rear end kicking.

99. Walter de la Mare - The Return. A hundred year old novel about a guy who fall asleep in a cemetery and wakes up with another man's face. The remaining 95% of the book is just people talking. blech.

100. Neal Stephenson & Friends - The Mongoliad Book 1. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would, as I'm not a huge historical fiction/alternate history fan, but this I enjoyed.

Technically I've met my goal for the year.

I've been busy with work so my pace has slowed down, but I've been doing my best

101 Lost Souls -Poppy Z Brite: Horrible, horrible emo garbage. It's essentially a book about pathetic, creepy, inappropriate gay sex.

102 - Best American Essays 2007 - There are some interesting things in this collection, but instead of focusing on just really good pieces of writing, David Foster Wallace (as editor) really focused on topical articles for 2007, which don't all age well.

103 - Sandman Slim - Richard Kadrey: There are some good and interesting ideas in here, but its ruined by trying to hard to do too much.

104 - Lost Homicidal Maniac Answers to Shirley: Jeff Strand. I really just read it to finish the series. It's not that good.

105 - Valediction - Robert B Parker: A really fun, entertaining Spencer novel, which was a nice change of pace from some of the stinkers I had just went through before.

106 - Turn of The Screw - Henry James: a ghost story with some interesting features, but the newer stuff is more fun.

107 - The City of Falling Angels: John Berendt: Absolutely fascinating look into the inner workings of Venice, Italy. The book itself is a work of art, and I wish that Berendt wrote more.

108 - If This Isn't Nice, What is" Kurt Vonnegut: a reprint of a bunch of old speeches. They're pretty nice. That's about it.

109 - Gone South - Robert McCammon: One of my new favorite writers, though I've been reading his old stuff. They're horror stories, but they are always well put together and they have heart, and not in a way that is hokey or preachy. You can seeMcCammon trying to do something new and different, which led to him leaving writing for awhile.

110: The Hidden: Sarah Pinborough: ghastly attempt at a horror novel that is more jumbled and confused than people have time for.

111: Off Season - Jack Ketchum: viceral and raw. This book is really short, a whole hell of a lot of fun, and leaves you feeling uncomfortable. Ketchum holds nothing back and its great.

112: Conspiracies F. Paul Wilson: Repairman Jack 3. Probably the weakest of the books I've read, but still a lot of fun. This book really sets up Jacks role in the bigger picture of Wilson's "cosmology"

113: All The Rage by F. Paul Wilson: Repairman Jack 4. This one is a lot more action packed, and a lot more intense. Jack takes on a nasty new drug and a villain from the past. I like how Wilson tells original stories, but still holds true to the larger framework that these stories take place between.

114: Hosts by F. Paul Wilson Repairman Jack 5. Another wonderful installment. Nothing terribly "new" just the same consistently good stuff from before.

115: Kill the Dead: Richard Kadrey - Sandman Slim 2 is even more of a confused mess than the first book. Really disappointing.

116 The Blinding Knife - Brent Weeks - i loved everything about this book, an amazing follow up to the first one.

117 The Ritual by Adam Nevill: common consensus is that the first half of the book is amazing and creepy and awesome, and the second half is less so. They're right, though i can imagine if you lived in Northern Europe the second half would have more of an impact.

118 The Exorcist - William peter Blatty: It's really, really close to the film. It's really quite intense, and interesting and fun. A lot of people were surprised this was a book.

119 Bad Luck and Trouble: Jack Reacher kicks rear end. He always kicks everybody's rear end, and it is always a joy and treat.

120 The Haunted Air: F. Paul Wilson - repairman jack 6. Another solid chapter, i really do recommend people check it out.

121 The Broken Eye: Brent Weeks - a slow burning sequel to the Lightbringer series, the ending is really intense. Probably the weakest of the bunch, but it sets everything up for an amazing conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

15. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher:

Enjoyable pulp. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Locked thread