Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the bengals would have done it but they are firmly anti-gamergate and harvins support of the movement was too much for them to handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Come on. A loving 6th rounder and $0 guaranteed money after this year? How are people still ripping the Jets? That's ludicrous.

Anyone who does is an rear end in a top hat.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ozu posted:

Come on. A loving 6th rounder and $0 guaranteed money after this year? How are people still ripping the Jets? That's ludicrous.

Seriously. It's like a literal no lose trade for the Jets considering their record.

BUT BUT BUT Tom Brady was a sixth round pick.

Chris James 2 posted:

I like that people are just ignoring him fighting and being a dick in college, and in the Vikings.

Him being a jerk in 2 places? Okay. A 3rd place though? No, now something must be made up here!!! He's changed for the better! Hit piece, slander, fraud!

TBF that's exactly what John Schneider thought

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Brannock posted:

Whatever the facts/rumors are, this is the second time in a row that Harvin's been suddenly traded away from a team for seemingly no good reason. These are presumably intelligent men who don't make random trades for the hell of it, especially when it has such bad optics. There's clearly something going on with Harvin.

I dunno, seems like the Vikings were pretty sold on Patterson falling into Harvin's role and Patterson is a hell of a lot cheaper. If memory serves everyone seemed to think it was a decently fair deal all around.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter

Brannock posted:

Whatever the facts/rumors are, this is the second time in a row that Harvin's been suddenly traded away from a team for seemingly no good reason.
A 1st round pick is a good reason.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
If the Pats or the Broncos did this trade everyone in the sports media would be tripping over each other to applaud it. It's a decent low risk move by NY.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Potzblitz! posted:

A 1st round pick is a good reason.

TubeStank posted:

I dunno, seems like the Vikings were pretty sold on Patterson falling into Harvin's role and Patterson is a hell of a lot cheaper. If memory serves everyone seemed to think it was a decently fair deal all around.

The Vikings were lucky that it worked out, but trading away Harvin for Patterson is essentially a wash at best, and at worst you bust on that pick (or someone else drafts Patterson before the Vikings could). It was a risky move that paid off for the Vikings. What about Harvin made the Vikings want to take that risk? Was it really just the money?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dirt Worshipper posted:

If the Pats or the Broncos did this trade everyone in the sports media would be tripping over each other to applaud it. It's a decent low risk move by NY.

Did the Patriots not get wind of this because they're a potential SB opponent (it's possible!)?

if I'm BB I'd offer the same in a heartbeat.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
1st round picks are very valuable, even accounting for the risk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brannock posted:

The Vikings were lucky that it worked out, but trading away Harvin for Patterson is essentially a wash at best, and at worst you bust on that pick (or someone else drafts Patterson before the Vikings could). It was a risky move that paid off for the Vikings. What about Harvin made the Vikings want to take that risk? Was it really just the money?

Its the same reasoning the Eagles used so it seems to be a common rationale.

Whether it is smart or not is a completely different matter.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

African AIDS cum posted:

Why would any of that be unbelievable, that kind of stuff happens all the time in sports

lmao no, it doesn't. It happens all the time with abrasive assholes like Kobe and Josh McDaniels but not just "in sports"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

punching power comes from the lower body

Your footwork and legs yes I should have technically said he could body slam a brick house thank you

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He didn't fight anybody while at florida what the hell is that made up garbage

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He didn't fight anybody while at florida what the hell is that made up garbage

Hawks had to trade Harvin after learning he didn't fight a single one of his dipshit teammates at Florida. Russ would have gotten kicked off that team six times over for doing the right thing

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Dubious posted:

He was a pile of poo poo on the Vikings and nearly dropped Childress before getting separated.

Nobody should be surprised he was poison in Seattle. I agree with the poster earlier who suggested he will be outta the league in a few years.

His behavioral problems on the vikings amounted to he hated Christian Ponder and thought Childress was a dipshit. So basically things everyone knows to be true and right.

I really have a hard time believing Harvin is the evil locker room guy. The NFL is filled with a lot of stupid assholes. He unfortunately has now been painted as a locker room CANCER guy. But so was Randy Moss and he was the best dide ever. I wish the vikings had got Harvin. I still have my vikings Harvin jersey. It sits in my closet and I go and hug it and sob ala Brokeback Mountain.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dubious posted:

The real question is, where does he go after the Jets cut his rear end next in the offseason?

Crazy speed? Character issues? Someone revive Al Davis.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ozu posted:

This is my favorite part of the whole thing. Rolling the dice on an elite talent basically for free? No, see, the Jets are retarded so therefore everything they do is retarded.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
His character issues include he smokes weed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

soggybagel posted:

His character issues include he smokes weed.

They're probably not limited to that though. But goons think they know players better than the GMs and coaches that deal with them on a daily basis so whatever.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Nail Rat posted:

They're probably not limited to that though. But goons think they know players better than the GMs and coaches that deal with them on a daily basis so whatever.

I just think very little escapes the reporters that cover the team. Suddenly there are multiple fights in the Seattle locker room? That we've never heard about before? That just seems unlikely

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nail Rat posted:

Ah appeal to the infallible nature of NFL GMs.

That is a smart move and not at all an appeal to authority.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
No one in the NFL gives a poo poo about character issues unless they're made to, or a player stops producing. The Seahawks signed Perrish Cox last year. Twice.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Boy this is rich

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah appeal to the infallible nature of NFL GMs.

That is a smart move and not at all an appeal to authority.

And it's better to assume that what you know publicly about players is the whole story? Because that's what everyone else is doing. And the Seahawks are not idiots.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

And it's better to assume that what you know publicly about players is the whole story? Because that's what everyone else is doing. And the Seahawks are not idiots.

Honestly yes, it is much much smarter to assume these are lies than the fact that for some reason the Hawks was able to completely shut the media out from reporting something that happened in a practice that then happened to leak right when the player was traded.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not saying to assume the rumors of bodyslams or whatever are true just because. I'm just saying hey they may have a good reason for trading him. Or maybe one of the smartest front offices became autistic overnight. It could happen!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Having followed those Gators teams very closely I am surprised that this is the first time I am hearing he was a malcontent while at Florida.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Potzblitz! posted:

1st round picks are very valuable, even accounting for the risk.

A first-round pick is not more valuable than a proven first-round-pick-worthy player. I will never understand this interpretation of value. What does a first-round pick do? Give you a shot at drafting a star player. What was Percy Harvin? A star player. You knew for absolutely sure that Percy Harvin is a young star; a first round pick is a relatively unknown quantity. When you trade Percy Harvin away for a first round pick and you use that same first round pick to attempt to draft Percy Harvin's replacement it's a wash.

Most GMs understand this, which is why Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews don't get traded away for a first round pick to draft the next Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews. We can safely assume there was some other factor in the original Percy Harvin trade that gave the Vikings incentive to gamble on drafting his replacement instead of keeping him around. If it was simply his contract, then that makes two straight teams that didn't think he was worth keeping around despite his immense physical capabilities.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Boy this is rich

Have any of you personally interacted with Percy Harvin?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
seahawks won the superbowl so everything they do must be right

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nail Rat posted:

The Seahawks have kept Bevell for several years. They are not infallible and can absolutely still make dumb decisions.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing most people are having trouble reconciling is you have a known talent. Harvin is incredibly talented. And he was given up for peanuts. You look at the NFL in the past 15 years and you see teams go out of their way to keep players on rosters who have just as much locker room baggage and are not nearly as talented as Harvin.

Hence we question the seriousness of such locker room accusations that suddenly come out it a flurry once he leaves. When you have teams protecting guys like Ray Rice or Incognito you have to wonder how "bad" Harvin is. And you can look at other sports and the media to know there is a grand tradition of smearing players or coaches when they leave a team on less than great terms.

I'm not pretending like I know better or all. Just that it seems odd

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chichevache posted:

The Seahawks have kept Bevell for several years. They are not infallible and can absolutely still make dumb decisions.

Well every offensive coordinator is bad and/or hated by their fan base except like three so what's the difference really

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brannock posted:

Have any of you personally interacted with Percy Harvin?

That doesn't really matter, he could be an extreme rear end in a top hat and insufferable up to Kluwe levels it doesn't matter.

You can't argue that he was an rear end in a top hat and that GMs know better at the same time. They are directly opposing arguments.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
TMZ just leaked the footage of the Golden Tate bodyslam. Dang, Percy. SMH

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nail Rat posted:

Well every offensive coordinator is bad and/or hated by their fan base except like three so what's the difference really

hmm yes quite

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Brannock posted:

A first-round pick is not more valuable than a proven first-round-pick-worthy player. I will never understand this interpretation of value. What does a first-round pick do? Give you a shot at drafting a star player. What was Percy Harvin? A star player. You knew for absolutely sure that Percy Harvin is a young star; a first round pick is a relatively unknown quantity. When you trade Percy Harvin away for a first round pick and you use that same first round pick to attempt to draft Percy Harvin's replacement it's a wash.

Most GMs understand this, which is why Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews don't get traded away for a first round pick to draft the next Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews. We can safely assume there was some other factor in the original Percy Harvin trade that gave the Vikings incentive to gamble on drafting his replacement instead of keeping him around. If it was simply his contract, then that makes two straight teams that didn't think he was worth keeping around despite his immense physical capabilities.

He was a young star with a huge cap hit that produced little outside of a couple of early years due to injuries. He was and is a dynamic player, but for a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round pick that trade was absolutely worth it. The Vikings had more important holes to address or try to address with those extra picks. Good Wide Receivers aren't terribly hard to come by.

The comparison to Rodgers and Matthews are silly because those are the cornerstones of the offense and the defense. Harvin wasn't that for Minnesota--AP was.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Some players have more value to a team than others. Not a shocking thing. The reason why a first round draft pick is worth more than a good player is that the good player is most likely in his prime years, aka expecting to get paid. You can get a good WR with a first in most drafts, so it makes more sense to take the bit of risk in developing a talent that costs you 6 figures.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Brannock posted:

There are like no examples of this working out in the NFL within the last 20 years, btw.

I mean I read Redskins fans saying this same thing in like 2003.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

There are like no examples of this working out in the NFL within the last 20 years, btw.

I mean I read Redskins fans saying this same thing in like 2003.

You can make an argument for Jared Allen, I'm drawing a blank on others though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

You can make an argument for Jared Allen, I'm drawing a blank on others though.

He's a good example.

Even something successful like Atlanta thinking Julio Jones was worth everything they gave up has led them to ruin.

And that's a team with a great QB as well, not like the usual suspects who think DickSuck McHoolihan just needs that one elite receiver to make the next step.

• Locked thread