Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if Raichi wasn't so insufferably smug. I mean, come on, he literally went 'hee hee hee' after he won. Emperor Veggie wasn't that complex himself, but at least he was having a good time.

He wasn't complex, he was literally Vegeta from the Saiyan Saga with more power and all the swagger, bloodlust and ruthlessness intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Some Numbers posted:

He wasn't complex, he was literally Vegeta from the Saiyan Saga with more power and all the swagger, bloodlust and ruthlessness intact.

That's more interesting than Ghost-Fighting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Every DBZ villain is insufferably smug. Even the ones who don't start that way turn into it at some point.

You're right. It's more that Raichi's surly and smug, whereas Vegeta and such are posh/cocky/weird and smug.

Some Numbers posted:

Er, yeah, I agree. I was just saying that I'd take that over "GRR I SURE HATE SAIYANS also ghoooooosts."

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
People on the DBM comments keep mentioning that all of the dead fighters are going to be revived at the end of this round. Does anyone know what they're talking about and/or point me to a source? If it's true, Raichi loses his only gimmick and becomes completely useless.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

That's more interesting than Ghost-Fighting.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Er, yeah, I agree. I was just saying that I'd take that over "GRR I SURE HATE SAIYANS also ghoooooosts."

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean that as a negative. I really liked Saiyan Saga Vegeta. He wasn't complex, but he was fun.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

drrockso20 posted:

Wish we had more movie & other side material representation besides Broly(yawn), Tapion, and Raichi(unless I'm forgetting about some others), seriously they could go in all sorts of wonderful weird directions(like a Dr Wheelo who succeeded in putting his brain in Goku's body, and used SCIENCE!!!! to conquer his home universe, or a Super Android 18, or a Majin Garlic Junior for example)

The only one you forgot is Bojack. But all of the movies/side stories are pretty well represented, except for movies 1 and 2.

1: Garlic JR (Immortality but super weakness would be interesting)
2: Dr. Wheelo (Brain in a jar)
3: Turles (Another Sayian)
4: Lord Slug (King Piccolo is already there)
5 & 6: Coola/Metal Cooler (part of Freiza's universe)
7: Super Androi 13 (They already have 17 and 18,and Yamacha is a cyborg, making himself useful)
8, 10, and 11 (Broly, but at least not Bio-Broly)
9: Bojack (defeated Pan, died to Cell)
12: Janemba (I don't think the dead could participate in this tournament
13: Tapion/Hidergon (defeated fan favorite Turtle Hermit Krillan)

Side Material:
Specials Bardock is there, and Racihi is there. Raichi is more interesting than the final villain of plan to eradicate the Sayians.

They could have come up with some more interesting characters than the female mage team from Bojack's universe which did nothing, the super armor guys, the warrior who hasn't been born yet, and the wizard who defeated Vegetto. But they have some varied universes.

I am also disappointed in the death of Emperor Vegeta, and didn't like Krillan's loss. I still think it would have been great to see a Gohan who enjoyed fighting be the strongest in his universe.

Edit:

In It For The Tank posted:

People on the DBM comments keep mentioning that all of the dead fighters are going to be revived at the end of this round. Does anyone know what they're talking about and/or point me to a source? If it's true, Raichi loses his only gimmick and becomes completely useless.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-694.html#h_read Here's the page where they say they're going to resurrect everybody who died in the first two rounds.

Cozz fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 18, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Cozz posted:

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-694.html#h_read Here's the page where they say they're going to resurrect everybody who died in the first two rounds.

Thanks!

But wow that was a long time ago. The art is so different.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'm still betting Gotenks will gently caress up somehow and cause Kid Buu to appear and try to reality wrap the stage, speaking of that was it ever explained why Kid Buu can somehow teleport into the afterlife?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SirDrone posted:

I'm still betting Gotenks will gently caress up somehow and cause Kid Buu to appear and try to reality wrap the stage, speaking of that was it ever explained why Kid Buu can somehow teleport into the afterlife?

I don't know that it was ever explained, but you could easily just say magic. Easy to forget, but Buu's not a martial artist, alien, or bioengineered martial artist - he's a genie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

So basically the best character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Least he'll be getting revived at the end of the round. I'd forgotten about that. Hope he gets to do something important the next time the tournament inevitably goes off the rails.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SirDrone posted:

He learned it from goku.

Also isn't the tournament taking place in a universe devoid of life? What the gently caress is the afterlife like then?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Right! Exactly! Vegeta was a way more interesting character than Goku, that's why all the fans wanted Toriyama to bring him back.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SirDrone posted:

speaking of that was it ever explained why Kid Buu can somehow teleport into the afterlife?

He saw Goku do it. Monkey see, monkey do.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SirDrone posted:

Same way he learned the Kamehameha

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rudoku posted:

Beerus needs to pop by and laugh at these weak fools. Too bad Battle of the Gods wasn't made before DB:M.

They can retcon him in there. Especially since they can use SSJG with the main group to give them an advantage over everyone else. "Oh, they're stupid powerful, so let's go ahead and use God abilities..."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vegito could easily beat up Beerus. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

dogs named Charlie posted:

There's going to be a tournament breaking plot element.

Just calling it now.

In case anyone here has never seen an anime before.

Unless im mis-remembering, Bardock has foreshadowed this heavily. :haw:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

He saw Goku do it. Monkey see, monkey do.

Kild posted:

Same way he learned the Kamehameha

Crazy theory here: by virtue of essentialy being living magic, Buu has the potential of doing ANYTHING, but he can't come up with ideas on his own, he must be taught (Bibidi, Babidi), see someone doing something (Goku) or acquire knowledge via absorb (Gotenks, Piccolo...).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Petiso posted:

Crazy theory here: by virtue of essentialy being living magic, Buu has the potential of doing ANYTHING, but he can't come up with ideas on his own, he must be taught (Bibidi, Babidi), see someone doing something (Goku) or acquire knowledge via absorb (Gotenks, Piccolo...).

Genocide attack.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Petiso posted:

Buu thought of transforming people into candy on his own.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Unless im mis-remembering, Bardock has foreshadowed this heavily. :haw:

You are not mis-remembering.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-418.html#h_read

There is also another foreshadow during the Cold fight, I think, but I couldn't find it.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Silynt posted:

You are not mis-remembering.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-418.html#h_read

There is also another foreshadow during the Cold fight, I think, but I couldn't find it.

It's from the chapter that Vegetto comes back and sulks. (I reread the main chapters of Multiverse last night to try and find the page that showed the dragon ball wish)

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-731.html#h_read
http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-732.html#h_read

And there was a second page from the first chapter of visions.
http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-419.html#h_read

There is also a panel of Cold being in the healing chamber. I think that's everything.

So we've seen
Buu go crazy
Frezia talk about Ginyu
Gast say Stop.

We haven't seen yet
Vegetto go crazy/Bra Warning/Goku being confident he can beat Vegetto
Piccolo with ominous foreshadowing
Goku and Cell JR become best buds
Gohan with broken Dragonball
Cyborg Yamcha being cocky
Piccolo telling Bra and Vegeta that they only live thanks to his will.
King Cold get beat up bad.

I wonder how Piccolo will get strong enough to intimidate Bra and Vegeta. And why does he take off his turban?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
My little fan theory is that Ginyu has, somehow, made his way into King Cold's body and he will body swap with Vegitto at some stage and become the main bad guy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

My little fan theory is that Ginyu has, somehow, made his way into King Cold's body and he will body swap with Vegitto at some stage and become the main bad guy.

I love this so much that I'm holding you responsible if it doesn't turn out to be true.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cozz posted:

I wonder how Piccolo will get strong enough to intimidate Bra and Vegeta. And why does he take off his turban?

I imagine it will involve fusion.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Yeah, I figure either the two main universe's Piccolos fuse, or one of them fuses with Gast. Or both!

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Silynt posted:

Yeah, I figure either the two main universe's Piccolos fuse, or one of them fuses with Gast. Or both!

I think that's more of The Great Demon King Piccolo's personality than either of the main universe's Piccolo. Maybe in his universe he absorbed Kami, which might allow him to compete with Gast for a bit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Silynt posted:

No, what we need is a three-way Piccolo fusion.

Piccolo 18, Piccolo 16, and Demon King Piccolo. That's enough to make him pretty drat powerful.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
No joke, I kind of hope they scrap that poo poo. I like the mostly straightforward tournament angle that has been going on now. This becoming just another DBZ fanfic could get really bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, I do think that this entire comic came about as a bit of frustration at how the last tournament was handled in the Buu saga, where they leave before the highlights and only have vague joking suggestions at who would have won.

Then again, we might get a bit more narrative as we go, hopefully they will keep the tournament layout the same.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
We'll probably get our tournament-ending godbeast wreaking havoc backstage around the quarterfinals or semifinals, and then either the finals will be interrupted or be followed by the final fight.

If interrupted, they'll probably continue right on once the godbeast is put down, but with a heaping pile of MUTUAL RESPECT between our protagonist and their opponent.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
I bet Yamcha is getting cocky when talking to Vegito in Cold's body. Because of course Yamcha would seize the opportunity to point out that he's now better than Vegito.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
It could be like how they handle the tournament in every single King of Fighters game: Mid-tier at best warriors are the only ones who bother with the finals because the strongest guys are elsewhere fighting some badass evil overlord/strange magical entity. Maybe Tapion or Freeza's gonna win this and get a free wish because everyone else is busy trying to take down the hyper-powered VeGinyu.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Soulcleaver posted:

hyper-powered VeGinyu.

I seriously doubt this because Ginyu can't properly access the power of fighters who increase their ki. He couldn't even tap into enough of Goku's power to handle Gohan and Krillin. He'd likely be formidable in Vegetto's body but there are plenty of people who could handle him. Hell I bet Goku and Vegeta probably could if it's a drastic enough hindrance.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Watch it be an even more zany scheme, like Ginyu trying to switch bodies with Shenron. :v:

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
That's why That's Our Goku will beat him in the end. Who knows what kind of training Ginyu's gone through since stealing Cold's body. Isn't his the dimension where Krillin kills Vegita, and as a final result Freeza nukes Namek right when the dragonballs are used? There's still an unaccounted for Goku in space in that universe. Ginyu could have stolen that body and trained with it before holy poo poo I actually care about this plot as much as some published fiction.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

dogs named Charlie posted:

That's why That's Our Goku will beat him in the end. Who knows what kind of training Ginyu's gone through since stealing Cold's body. Isn't his the dimension where Krillin kills Vegita, and as a final result Freeza nukes Namek right when the dragonballs are used? There's still an unaccounted for Goku in space in that universe. Ginyu could have stolen that body and trained with it before holy poo poo I actually care about this plot as much as some published fiction.

You are correct of the universe. However, I'm just guessing here, but before he's 'killed' Ginyu says "he wasn't able to contain the sayian", so I'm assuming "that sayian" is Goku. http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-535.html#h_read

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cozz posted:

You are correct of the universe. However, I'm just guessing here, but before he's 'killed' Ginyu says "he wasn't able to contain the sayian", so I'm assuming "that sayian" is Goku. http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-535.html#h_read

Ahahahha, reading ahead a few pages got me to that scene I'd totally forgotten about where Zen Buu gets pissed because the Star Wars Cantina Band opening for the second round sucks and spawns a bunch of mini-buus to play it better. This poo poo's just fun.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-541.html#h_read

Edit: Ah man, and I'd totally forgotten Nappa taunted Freeza just so he could forfeit his match and troll the gently caress out of Freeza right away. Good times.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I seriously doubt this because Ginyu can't properly access the power of fighters who increase their ki. He couldn't even tap into enough of Goku's power to handle Gohan and Krillin. He'd likely be formidable in Vegetto's body but there are plenty of people who could handle him. Hell I bet Goku and Vegeta probably could if it's a drastic enough hindrance.

hes had time to learn

• Locked thread