Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shakugan posted:

Yeah, they really messed up with the casting this season. Usually there are at least a few people who have some idea of how to play the game, but this season?

Josh + Baylor 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Josh + Baylor 4 lyfe
and don't forget "Survivor Mastermind" what's her name...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its actually kind of funny, but Drew ended up being a mastermind after all. There was no women's alliance but his open paranoia and hostility about them along with his utter intractability with the guys created a women's alliance of opportunity. He masterminded his own departure.

I think its way too early to write off this cast. Most of them are still pretty much wild cards and haven't done much so far except react to the more aggressive (dumb) players.

Jeremy and Josh are both obviously overplaying but they're also both obviously got brains and some game smarts. If they can reign in their flaws a bit they could develop into very strong players since neither seems in a bad position in their tribe or across tribe lines. But they're also becoming bigger targets as guys like Rocker and Drew fall.

Jon's pretty obviously an idiot and even admitted as much when he very sincerely and prophetically told Jeff that he was confused who he was supposed to vote for.

Alec seems to be cut from the same cloth as his brother and that nonsense with Baylor seems a week away from him repeating his brother's "I'm the leader" mistakes.

Keith's idol bumbling was stupid but he survived it with an idol so it might work out for him.

Natalie seems emotional and a little chaotic but she had the good sense to rally a women's alliance of opportunity when she saw an opening with the guys falling over themselves. And her push to peer pressure the other tribe into voting out Rocker kind of worked.

I don't know what to think of Kelley or Baylor. They've basically both been used in the game and had the good sense to keep calm and skate by their close calls. Maybe they're just lucky or maybe they're good subtle players? Either way they at least both seem capable of weathering some of the tougher parts of the game so that could benefit them.

Dale was blindsided last week but he had the good sense to admit he got too comfortable and let his social game lapse. Its early in the game and that wasn't a real alliance that voted out Rocker, so its possible that's the sort of mistake a smart player can learn from.

And I honestly know next to nothing about Wes, Julie, Jaclyn, Baylor's mom, and Josh's boyfriend. I know so little about them I don't know some of their names.

So there's a lot of wildcards in play and its still very early. Personally I'm cautiously optimistic. The idiots are keeping things interesting right now and Val, Rocker, and Drew never stood a chance of being good players. So I don't feel like anyone with real potential has been lost except maybe for Nadiya (and it sounds like Amazing Race fans don't think highly of her so maybe she wasn't a loss either). Some of this cast are going to be idiots or passive players but some of them still could easily shape up to be players since the game has barely begun.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fast Luck posted:

You take that back, Drew was amazing! Like, if he was a dumb model who never did anything but loaf around, then he'd be a waste of a spot. But he was a mind manipulator and master strategist.

Yes. He master manipulated his way from a position of complete safety to getting voted out in the space of one episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes. He master manipulated his way from a position of complete safety to getting voted out in the space of one episode.
Yeah, that's why he was so entertaining.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, that's why he was so entertaining.

I wish I could have seen the reactions of his tribemates watching the episode and finding out he threw the challenge.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

So I don't feel like anyone with real potential has been lost except maybe for Nadiya (and it sounds like Amazing Race fans don't think highly of her so maybe she wasn't a loss either).

The twins' best quality for survivor is that I could have seen either of them easily doing an individual immunity streak. They didn't play well with others on the race and I truthfully think Nadiya was the easier of the two to get along with. That said, they aren't stupid, and they know the social game is key here. Natalie will try to form alliances, I just think she'd be grating to be around.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Natalie actually seemed to be a in a pretty good situation as of last episode. She seemed to be in with literally everyone on her tribe (the men and the women) and managed to organize the other team enough to get Rocker out. Of course with a tribe swap coming up who knows how things will shake out.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Natalie actually seemed to be a in a pretty good situation as of last episode. She seemed to be in with literally everyone on her tribe (the men and the women) and managed to organize the other team enough to get Rocker out. Of course with a tribe swap coming up who knows how things will shake out.

I expect that as with the other Blood vs. Water season the singles will try to ally against those who are still paired up.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I wish I could have seen the reactions of his tribemates watching the episode and finding out he threw the challenge.

Or the other team's realization that their "win" wasn't actually real. I seem to remember someone (I forget who specifically) was all, "I KNEW we were going to win today! I had a feeling we totally would!"

EDIT: I also wonder what Jeremy thought when he watched his wife do her "I got 2 idols!" play.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Midrena posted:

Or the other team's realization that their "win" wasn't actually real. I seem to remember someone (I forget who specifically) was all, "I KNEW we were going to win today! I had a feeling we totally would!"

EDIT: I also wonder what Jeremy thought when he watched his wife do her "I got 2 idols!" play.

If only there was a social media platform where the contestants could follow along with the episode sharing their thoughts and opinions. I wouldn't even care if they were limited to say 140 characters per message to pick a number out of the air.

Unfortunately last season they totally spoiled that Spencer won and ruined it for everybody. :sigh:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

If they had to do something about twitter it would have been a lot better to forbid players from talking to each other as opposed to talking at all.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Previously on Survivor.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

:siren: PREVIOUSLY... on Drew is a Goddamned Idiot :siren:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Robnoxious posted:

:siren: PREVIOUSLY... on Drew is a Goddamned Idiot :siren:

It's so satisfying even on rewatch. :allears:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Let's hope this episode lives up to the last one.

Alhara
Aug 21, 2007
Aww, Alec is excited to face Drew in the arena.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DROP.
YOUR.
BUFFS.

vvvvv They really telegraphed it in on last weeks preview to this week vvvvv

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You guys are spot on every single season with the tribe swaps. I guess I don't pay close enough attention. (Or you watch previews which I do not)

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

You guys are spot on every single season with the tribe swaps. I guess I don't pay close enough attention. (Or you watch previews which I do not)

It was in the preview.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Jeez John... get a room!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Keith is fuckkeddd

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really like how the singles and pairs divided up like that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Man Jeremy simmer down

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jeremy is a loving idiot

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Abstinence?

Way to fight those conservative roots, man!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Abstinence?

Maybe he just said that for his poor grandparents sake

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Robnoxious posted:

Abstinence?

:lol:

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I love how everybody's knees look like they've been giving hummers in the alley.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Did Jeremy just try to give a confirmation bro nod to the camera guy after his gf said they could sleep together

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Baylor's probably seen her mom go on at least a couple honeymoons so she's getting sick of it by now.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Team Shag is in full effect.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm glad Jeremy explained that tough concept for us

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What's the over/under on number of additional times he says "SURROUND AND DROWN"

EDIT: Remind me, what does production do if a tribe literally runs out of rice?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Time for the annual Rice Wars

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
And that's why the camp you came from has but a handful of rice left, you idiot.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Boxman posted:

Remind me, what does production do if a tribe literally runs out of rice?
Trade luxury for rice.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

blue squares posted:

Time for the annual Rice Wars

The rice must flow.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
THIS IS MY RICE GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Divorced three times?

NO loving WAY

• Locked thread