Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Jeskai Aggro continues dominating on the SCG stream. David Shiels playing competently.

Edit: Mantis Rider continues being just a bit better than this Standard environment can deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Niton posted:

5 color with Ajani, call it Pride Parade and nobody can even act offended.

Ajani and Fleecemane Lion.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Veyrall posted:

Edit: Mantis Rider continues being just a bit better than this Standard environment can deal with.

I feel like it's tough to complain about Mantis Rider when Siege Rhino continues to be an "okay I just win now" card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why are they playing replays of pro tour deck techs on the Grand Prix stream?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

qbert posted:

I feel like it's tough to complain about Mantis Rider when Siege Rhino continues to be an "okay I just win now" card.
That's easy enough to answer: I haven't seen Abzan in action yet, due to not having an LGS to go to for a bit while I move.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, Mantis Rider dies to literally every form of removal in the format so it's not like it's Lightning Angel where the 4 toughness is just stupid. Yeah it's a good card, but it's prolific in part because it's one of the few decks that can MAYBE outrace Siege Rhino.

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it at this point.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zorak posted:

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it at this point.

Blue/Black mill obviously. Siege Rhino can't beat down a Wall of Frost. :getin:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Welp, Abzan on camera now. Maybe I'll have a new card to whine about.

Going against the Ascendancy combo, so this....may not be the best matchup to really watch to see how AbzRange works against most decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chamale fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 18, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bombed at FNM with Mardu midrange, if someone had told me I was the only person not playing siege rhino I would have believed them.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PRIDEMATE ON CAMERA :siren:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
I don't know why that image is so table-breakingly massive, but it seems that Chamale is inordinately proud of ripping a piece of cardboard in half.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Veyrall posted:

I don't know why that image is so table-breakingly massive, but it seems that Chamale is inordinately proud of ripping a piece of cardboard in half.

poo poo, sorry, phone posting. Yeah, that was the outcome of a particularly rousing game of Flip and Rip.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Veyrall posted:

It's a feat of strength. I mean, Sarkhan is indestructible after all.

But really, it's just kind of... I don't really get why I should care. I mean, congrats on making someone angry somewhere, I guess?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Veyrall posted:

I don't think he's so much proud of it as he is using it to provoke the people who like to bitch about flip and rip.

:retrogames:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

I don't think he's so much proud of it as he is using it to provoke the people who like to bitch about flip and rip.

:retrogames:

This, basically.

The only people that care are people that think they're easing money. When playing magic in general is wasting money

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

This, basically.

The only people that care are people that think they're easing money. When playing magic in general is wasting money

Precisely. It's a fun way to open a booster pack, just like drafting or pack wars. I wouldn't play it with the same group repeatedly, but seeing someone's reaction the first time is always worth it. One guy here tried to show me up by playing with a pack of Modern Masters, but all he ripped was a Gifts Ungiven.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So this is the mindset of a Breakfast Burrito player

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Zorak posted:

I dunno, Mantis Rider dies to literally every form of removal in the format so it's not like it's Lightning Angel where the 4 toughness is just stupid. Yeah it's a good card, but it's prolific in part because it's one of the few decks that can MAYBE outrace Siege Rhino.

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it

at this point.

Mantis I'm not too worried about, it's like it's extra weak to Bile Blight since the haste gets it played ahead of combat.

Rhino, yeah, such good value. Mardu charm's discard mode? Rhino does helpfully get played with Courser so you can catch it in the draw step. I'm running a couple of Hushwing Griff too, which also disables Wingmate Roc's Raid effect.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Only thing dumber than Flip n Rip is thinking posting that picture somehow discredits the former.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

So this is the mindset of a Breakfast Burrito player

Nah, I think flip n rip is pretty stupid. Still, people can spend their money however they choose.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Heh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's no correct time to link this so here's my favorite deck I've ever seen on an SCG stream:

http://blip.tv/scglive/scgdc-std-rnd3-steven-axtell-vs-carl-endres-5909750

Some loving weirdo BUG deck from Innistrad standard that just has filthy value everywhere. It's hilarious.
Sweet deck with it's turn 20 goldfish.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mantis I'm not too worried about, it's like it's extra weak to Bile Blight since the haste gets it played ahead of combat.

Rhino, yeah, such good value. Mardu charm's discard mode? Rhino does helpfully get played with Courser so you can catch it in the draw step. I'm running a couple of Hushwing Griff too, which also disables Wingmate Roc's Raid effect.

I am seriously considering adjusting my mardu walker sideboard to include maybe 2 hushwing gryffs. Abzan midrange is everywhere and the hushwing nerfing rhino and roc seems like it would make a big difference.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

I dunno, Mantis Rider dies to literally every form of removal in the format so it's not like it's Lightning Angel where the 4 toughness is just stupid.
Man the LSV video he put up this week where he played Jeskai could be renamed the Graveyard of Mantis Riders. They die. They die everywhere, to everything, immediately or a turn later. His opponent on the play has 3 open? Mantis Rider just hides in his hand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Haha nice. I played flip it or rip for the first time last weekend. I ripped a poluted delta, and all 4 other packs I won were dollar rares.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That SCG open UB control deck is drastically different from the one that top 8ed the PT and looks possibly effective at stopping Jeskai and Abzan. Anyone plan on playtesting it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think this coverage is giving me visual aids.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
gently caress yeah Temur monsters, knew that deck would show up eventually.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neetengie posted:

gently caress yeah Temur monsters, knew that deck would show up eventually.

That second game from Kibler looked sweet. Looks fun too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There was a lot of red/white aggro at Game Day rather than Jeskai, including the winner. The idea seems to be getting under the Abzan decks before they can start gaining lots of life. I could have won with Mardu King, but I missed a lifegain trigger in the finals and died to a topdeck Magma Jet for exact. I've been playing too sloppy lately, I need to get back into having good habits.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Went 2-1 at Game Day with Sub Sligh, lost to straight up Izzet Counterburn (piloted by the fried I went with) running like 12 cards to interact at 1-2 mana and maindeck Anger of the Gods :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hello Sorin, glad you're here to save the day when Danny Jessup is at one life.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

Hello Sorin, glad you're here to save the day when Danny Jessup is at one life.

That was the fastest scry 1 keep I've seen in a long time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Count Bleck posted:

That was the fastest scry 1 keep I've seen in a long time.

*Drops the scryed card like it burned him*

Oh, uh actually I'm still thinking about the scry.

Yeah, I'll keep it on top.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Anyone got the link to the Pro Tour top 8?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have to say that Ajani's Pridemate in the azban deck with the included lifelands, coursers, rhinos, and whip seems like it would be pretty meh but for some reason seems to play really well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Won 7-1 to get the champs playmat. 12 packs. Opened first one: foil GW fetch and BR fetch. Didn't want to open the rest, but glad I did instead of trading them away. Sarkhan, rhino, ascendancy, utter end, death dealer.

Mardu control fits a sweet niche (a nice fit?) that kills red aggro and Jeskai easily while 1-for-1 junk all day. I love this deck.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Won my Game Day playing Jeskai Wins. 4-1 in the swiss with my only loss to Abzan Midrange. Never drew my Hushwing Gryffs.

In the Top 8 I played Mardu Midrange, which I beat pretty easily. Semis I played Jund Midrange, which was a close 3 games (my opponent was playing Ashcloud Phoenix and it was awesome, in case people still don't realize). Finals I played the mirror, and I think I just had a better post-board plan than my opponent did (went the control route with 6 counterspells, Keranos, Sphinx, 2 Angers, and 2 Brimaz). I just stopped his threats, made sure I was able to resolve a Keranos, and then rode the lightning all the way to victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Won 7-1 to get the champs playmat. 12 packs. Opened first one: foil GW fetch and BR fetch. Didn't want to open the rest, but glad I did instead of trading them away. Sarkhan, rhino, ascendancy, utter end, death dealer.

Mardu control fits a sweet niche (a nice fit?) that kills red aggro and Jeskai easily while 1-for-1 junk all day. I love this deck.

Post your list? I like to compare mine vs others. Currently my mainboard is creature-less and heavy on walkers. I got to playtest against jeskai tempo this week and also found that matchup to be fairly comfortable.

• Locked thread