Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

One hit of the good stuff and I'm back on the ride. Goddamnit, Hussie.

This was great, and now I only hope that John will take the chance to smack Caliborn upside the head.

Caliborn's myriad issues are a wonder to behold. He makes Eridan seem well-adjusted and reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dolash posted:

One hit of the good stuff and I'm back on the ride. Goddamnit, Hussie.

Tell me about it. He's still got it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
loving

incredible

and that's all I have to say on the matter

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Predicted two years ago. :owned:

The thing is that Caliborn's bishie god Marty Stu drawing is so far from what Lord English looks like (the "buff physique LE has" which "could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities") that it's a joke. Actually, the fact that the self-insert is nothing like Lord English might be the joke, and if anything, Hussie is debunking this theory through mockery of lovely fan art. Or maybe this is just a phase where he stops thinking being buff is cool because it allows him to safely indulge in homoerotic fantasy.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I love this goddamn stupid comic.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, even though we, as the audience knows where that bishie Lord English actually came from, from a story point of view, it looks like Caliborn is cribbing from, well, Jake. The hope wings, the anime hair, etc.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I actually had high hopes for this update, and it still blindsided me and made me bust a gut. Great to be back.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
That was good, but I feel Hussie may be putting to fine a point on Caliborn's status as an MRA PUA Fedora man.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Koos Goop posted:

That was good, but I feel Hussie may be putting to fine a point on Caliborn's status as an MRA PUA Fedora man.

Koos, you might be this thread's messiah, and all around Good Taste Haver, but I don't think you can overstate how garbage Caliborn is, and how pertinent it is that the main antagonist of a comic about the Internet being an entitled misogynistic manchild with bad taste.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
I mean too, not to.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I was almost feeling a little hopeful for Caliborn when he was admitting some tender feelings between Dave and Karkat: maybe once Caliborn comes out of the closet he will be easier to deal with?

But then, yep, he went back to being Caliborn.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

In one fell stroke, Hussie made fun of deviantArt artists, anime fans, fedora-wearers and his own fans.
I love this man.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There's a pretty large crossover between all those categories.

glowing-fish posted:

maybe once Caliborn comes out of the closet

About what, his homosexuality or his instictive attraction to his sister?

Not that he's really gay at all so much as being such a titanic misogynist that bros are the only romantic option. I vaguely recall this being a thing with feudal samurai too, which is great because :japan:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

glowing-fish posted:

I was almost feeling a little hopeful for Caliborn when he was admitting some tender feelings between Dave and Karkat: maybe once Caliborn comes out of the closet he will be easier to deal with?

But then, yep, he went back to being Caliborn.

Or alternatively, he was foreshadowing that Dave and Karkat are Homestuck's One True Pairing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

John has a lot to say to this bastard about trapping him in Homosuck.

Hoo boy. :getin:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I loving lost it at the fedora. The update kept becoming more and more magical. I've missed you Hussie, but I never doubted you. :allears:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Koos Goop posted:

Hussie's just playing to his audience.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Only on DeviantArt do you have fan-artists calling the original creator an ART THIEF

https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/523588546150821888

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Good to be back.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

blastron posted:

Only on DeviantArt do you have fan-artists calling the original creator an ART THIEF

Ah, Homestuck and your mad, mad, mad fanbase.

It is good to have you back again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blastron posted:

quote:

Nora K ‏@nbeank 56m56 minutes ago
@andrewhussie @The_Othin also, you've worked with fan artists in the past without implicitly mocking their art. why am I the exception?

hahahahahahaha

Homestuck is BACK!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

In one fell stroke, Hussie made fun of deviantArt artists, anime fans, fedora-wearers and his own fans.
I love this man.

Is Hussie also ripping on himself here?

quote:

HER TRAITS AND OTHER SUCH CHARACTER THINGS. WILL BE A LOT TO LIST. WHICH IS FINE, BECAUSE IT WILL HELP YOU BELIEVE MY CREATION IS MORE INTERESTING. IN FACT. THIS IS ONE SUCH ADVANTAGE OF DOMINATING ALL KNOWN MANGA AS I HAVE DONE. WHEN YOU'RE THIS GOOD, AND BRILLIANT. YOU DON'T EVEN REALLY NEED TO "TELL STORIES" ANYMORE. YOU CAN JUST MAKE SOME CHARACTERS. AND LIST THEIR VARIOUS QUALITIES EXTENSIVELY. AND THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
This just in, Caliborn's lovely rear end OC has reached the front page of deviantart.

check it out

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know I really hoped that the person who drew that Lord English would've been good humored enough to laugh at this, and realize that the comic isn't being mean spirited in poking fun at it. Surely someone who has enjoyed Homestuck enough to draw fanart of it would understand this?

But no, it was not to be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

A good poster posted:

Is Hussie also ripping on himself here?

I think it's more ripping on people who make fanfics with no actual plot, just (incorrect and shallow) character interactions.

I'm actually wondering how hard it is for Hussie to draw in this style. Every other style he's done I can see being pretty natural for him; even Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff wasn't 'bad drawing' so much as just going the extra mile to make it as lovely as possible. But this is just straight-up 'twelve-year-old's shaky anime drawings', and I can only imagine that being intentionally, genuinely lovely at this is really hard.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Caliborn's self insert has a Dr Who scarf, missing leg, and fake teeth.

Just like Dominic Deegan.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if instead of just saying 'honk', Gamzee's honk noises vary from the sound of clown horns and bugles to car-beeps, truck-horns and train horns? Or even air-raid sirens?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Regy Rusty posted:

You know I really hoped that the person who drew that Lord English would've been good humored enough to laugh at this, and realize that the comic isn't being mean spirited in poking fun at it. Surely someone who has enjoyed Homestuck enough to draw fanart of it would understand this?

But no, it was not to be.

He is laughing at it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Then I'm baffled by that twitter conversation

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Then I'm baffled by that twitter conversation

I read more.

That dude isn't the dude who did the full HarryEnglish masterpiece of poo poo. He's just the guy who did a sketch that inspired it- he's spoken very little, but out right calls it poo poo and thinks its amazing.

The actual artist behind the infamous work is all kinds of indignant and, well, like you see on Twitter.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm kind of surprised Hussie didn't mention something to the person first, since lovely fanart or not it'd still probably be the done thing to do, but then I guess that would imply Hussie has any sort of capacity to schedule things left in his person.

Edit: Moot point, because Hussie continues to be an okay dude and already cleared things up in a news post.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
My favorite Homestuck tumblr is back in full force.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't know if I'm ready for Homestuck to be a part of my life again.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't know if I'm ready for Homestuck to be a part of my life again.

I was the same but this update 100% sold me on it again

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Bilirubin posted:

hahahahahahaha

Homestuck is BACK!

Jesus Christ, what is with this guy http://whethervane.tumblr.com/post/100355137727/some-folks-have-sent-me-messages-about-caliborn .

It looks like Hussie evenhad to write a big old friggin apology on the main website, jeez.

Edit: hehe https://twitter.com/andrewhussie/status/523635243837063168

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 19, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The internet is the worst

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

People like this are why I really just feel that murder should be legal sometimes, in certain situations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Zoe posted:

People like this are why I really just feel that murder should be legal sometimes, in certain situations.

Yeah I too agree that someone overreacting over a thing that is itself very dumb should be killed :catstare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

The internet is the worst

This applies to this thread too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoe posted:

OP, uh, that might be going a bit far. It's just another indignant teenage "artist", not a war crime or something